Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your must have traits?

Been a bit ill so looked at a lot of older threads in this forum & others. Many focused on traits and how some people thoughts certain traits were 'gamebreaking' or 'over-powered'.

Mostly people were saying Ambitious & Workaholic were OP.

What do you think? Are some traits OP? Are any a 'must have' to you? What are your faves? Your 'must haves'?

Personally I very much overuse Bookworm and Great Sense of Humour. Soooo useful.

Comments

• MommylandMommyland Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think one would be helpless romantic If its a single sim I am starting with or the new trait they get when they become a teen. So its easier for them to fall in love and all of that with the sim that I want them to. once married I usually change it to ambitious or something like it,

Aside that One of the adults has to be neat. and usually the last child. (who I usually use to carry on the legacy)
  • FuzzySlipers45FuzzySlipers45 Posts: 1,343 Member
    edited November 2013
    For awhile, all of my sims were loners. Still one of my favourite traits.

I use traits to get my sims personality, so they usually have a mix of good and bad. I can't say I ever use traits to make there lives easier...
  • ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like the neat trait and natural cook for female sims, and brave and athletic for males. But it does depend on what I plan to do with them. And if a sim is born in-game, I randomize their traits.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • aaronrulzaaronrulz Posts: 4,096 Member
    edited November 2013
    i am just starting to randomize traits to give a different element to my game. I would use "good" "friendly" and "great sense of humor" alot, as well as "ambitious" and "virtuoso"

Now i'm releasing control and its tough! lol. I'm using traits that i never use now, like "insane" and "hates the outdoors" and although its not my ideal, i'm finding it more enjoyable to mix it up
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    edited November 2013
    Randomizing traits works differently for different people. I'm a goal oriented person. When I make sims, I know what kind of person I want them to be, and what they are going to do with their lives, and I choose traits that harmonize with those plans. If I don't have a clear plan for a sim, I cannot get "into" playing them, and quickly wonder why I'm bothering to play with them.

I tried randomizing children's traits, but found that with traits I didn't choose, I could not get interested in them either. I can randomize maybe one of the baby traits to get a picture of what kind of person they're meant to be, then go from there, giving them complementary (not complimentary, that means something entirely different) traits as they age up. Then I feel invested in their character and their future. But when they end up with a mixed bag of totally unrelated traits that don't give me a clear picture of what they should be like or want to do with their life, I just do not enjoy playing them at all, and just look forward to the time when they age up to young adult so I can move them out, or better yet, send them to boarding school and move them out as soon as they come back home.

That said, my favorite traits are friendly, loves the outdoors, family oriented, natural cook, green thumb, athletic, artistic, virtuoso, brave, good. Most of my sims have at least a couple of those. What combination they have depends on what my plans for them are.
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think a trait that I use a lot is Artistic for sims that I create in CAS. That is a must have for me. For born ingame sims, I randomize. I even like some of the bad traits such as Mean-Spirited, Kleptomaniac, and Evil. I think those make sims really interesting, so I don't really freak out when a sim inherits any of those traits.
  • LilMissBehavinLilMissBehavin Posts: 11
    edited November 2013
    Hmm never really noticed traits being op probably because i randomize them most of the time.
    Although if i had to pick a few i use the most they would be bookworm and natural cook.
  • Jimboola11Jimboola11 Posts: 1,850 Member
    edited November 2013
    I think it can be weird how certain traits combine. Obvious examples being 'couch-potato' & 'loner' to give your sims big moodlets when writing or watching TV on their own.

But I recently had a new character with 4 bad traits. Left to his own devices he went up to a girl, kissed her and she became an instant romantic interest. That was a combination of 'inappropriate' & 'great kisser'. CRAZY!
  • Samsonguy9000Samsonguy9000 Posts: 755 Member
    edited November 2013
    I usually like to give 4 good traits, then do a bad trait to give a bit of challenge. I have discovered that Mean Spirited is a good challenge trait if you want to go for social goals. I almost had a sim about to consent to woohoo, and my sim just erupted at her over nothing at all, and it killed the mood. Insane is just fun all around.

I wouldn't say any traits are OP as there are plenty of contrasting traits to balance them out.
  • lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    Ambitious or workaholic are fine separately. Put the two together, the sim doesn't have enough time and attention left over for their partner and kids. So then the partner has to be handy, natural cook, nurturing and family oriented, to raise the kids practically alone. Limits your choices quite badly.

My favourite traits are natural cook, family oriented, artistic, athletic, loves the outdoors, virtuoso and evil. But which traits I use in game depends on the storyline. Hotheaded and eccentric are fun, I have some vegetarians I like a lot.

I don't like mean spirited, just can't bear bullies. Don't really see the point of the sleeper ones. And insane is just annoying, they change their clothes every 5 minutes and I hate doing laundry.
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited November 2013
    For me, an absolute must have is the neat trait (usually as a University Life bonus trait), it helps to prevent the 'raiders of the lost library' problem (IE an inventory full of books).
    raw
  • PinkGumdropsPinkGumdrops Posts: 32 New Member
    edited November 2013
    i really like traits that keep me on my toes. i actually enjoy inappropriate, evil, insane, hot-headed, grumpy, etc. x) perhaps that's just me. one of my favorite sims to date born in-game was evil and inappropriate and she was never a dull moment!

i randomize all of my sims' traits, especially if i'm playing in my legacy save (which is more often than not). but if i'm creating a sim, i tend to like a "balance" between good traits and not-so-good traits.
  • AnnitaEatsYaAnnitaEatsYa Posts: 1,583 Member
    edited November 2013
    I must say I've never thought any trait was overpowered, rather that some were distinctly underpowered and don't reach their full potential! For example, Commitment Issues doesn't seem to make it significantly more difficult to get a sim into a relationship. In fact, my current sim with this trait frequently rolls wishes to be in a steady relationship, where I'd have thought she'd be avoiding them like the plague.

I use Artistic a lot, and Absent Minded (it speaks to me :P ) and love playing Neurotic or Unstable sims. I used to have the same old boring boring GSOH, Good, Great Kisser *insert more nice but dull traits here* combo for nearly every sim but it definitely got boring!
  • ZhalkZhalk Posts: 310 New Member
    edited November 2013
    My must have for first Sim

Computer Genius

Mechanic

Friendly

To balance those out I have 2 bad ones in this case of my current Sim I have

Shy

Clumsy
    edited November 2013
    I must say I've never thought any trait was overpowered, rather that some were distinctly underpowered and don't reach their full potential! For example, Commitment Issues doesn't seem to make it significantly more difficult to get a sim into a relationship. In fact, my current sim with this trait frequently rolls wishes to be in a steady relationship, where I'd have thought she'd be avoiding them like the plague.

I use Artistic a lot, and Absent Minded (it speaks to me :P ) and love playing Neurotic or Unstable sims. I used to have the same old boring boring GSOH, Good, Great Kisser *insert more nice but dull traits here* combo for nearly every sim but it definitely got boring!

Absent minded & clumsy are probably the only ones I stear clear of. Ever since my guy with both burnt half his possessions to ash trying to make waffles! Bad bad combo *shakes head* .
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    edited November 2013
    I always give my sims the brave trait, any other traits can be random, reason being for the brave trait.

1 they can attack a burgular and defend there things.
    2 I have supernatural in so they don't get the lunacy that comes with fullmoon, if a sim as brave and insane trait they get the lunacy but they don't freak out which was annoying.
    3 they can put out a house fire.

• KatnapKatnap Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited November 2013
    I always give my Sims the hopeless romantic trait. I have yet to successfully woo and wed a Sim without it. I could have 100% relationship with someone who is single and then just try to flirt and my Sim will get turned down. I can't get past that stage ever, and I have no idea why.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited November 2013
    Probably guilty of giving all my sims Brave trait for several different reasons...(what secretuk said) plus I like traveling with my sims and making tomb raiders out of them...get a laugh out of sims' reactions to bugs on their arms but then they're done for awhile. And don't get me started on their reactions to mummies. :roll: :lol:

Other traits I like and give sims freely are nat cook, bookworm, (can get on my nerves) green thumb, charismatic, (very helpful for making friends) artistic, handy and good. The "bad" traits I use and like are neurotic, clumsy, evil and klepto and I have used grumpy on occasion but don't really like that one too much.

The ones I avoid like the plague are mean-spirited, the sleep ones (unneccesary) and most of all, family-oriented (deathly afraid of triplets). :lol:
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    edited November 2013
    I'm big on randomizing, don't like to combine too many of the "negative" traits (to me, Sims become unplayable if they're Insane & Evil & Inappropriate, for example) & since I'm a big family player, my Sims are never allowed to Dislike Children. I've recently decided to keep a copy of my Simself in my family at all times, and she must be Childish. That one's just too much fun.
  • ChrysameChrysame Posts: 528 New Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't think I have any must haves. I have must don'ts. I can't stand no sense of humor. My sims must enjoy a good giggle!

• lovelylisaclovelylisac Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited November 2013
    I had triplets by accident, they are in school and nearly ready to become teens now. I was devastated when she had three babies, mostly because it meant they had to get a bigger house, and I liked the old one. I only have baby stage last two days, so it was ok. Think I would quit if I got a single mum have triplets though.
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited November 2013
    I don't have any Must Have traits, but there are a couple of Must Not Have traits. I seem to always avoid Unlucky and Never Nude. No Sense of Humor is another one. Just not fun for me to play.
    Origin ID: nik24x7
  • TheMomminatorTheMomminator Posts: 4,215 Member
    edited November 2013
    I like to randomize traits because it makes me play the game in new ways. If left to my own devices all my sims would be charismatic, good, brave, etc. One of my heirs was an insane, snobby, cat person. I married him to the first woman who didn't hate him within 5 minutes of meeting him. I seriously thought the family was going to die out.

Some of my favorite traits are loner, bookworm, and neurotic.
  • Nik24X7Nik24X7 Posts: 7,865 Member
    edited November 2013
    I married him to the first woman who didn't hate him within 5 minutes of meeting him. I seriously thought the family was going to die out.
    Best laugh of the day! :P
    Origin ID: nik24x7
    edited November 2013
    Seeing some hate of 'no sense of humour' and unlucky. Thought I would step in for them.

No sense of humour has two redeeming features. First if you find someone else with the trait you get on like a house on fire. Quickly friends. I find there are quite a few of them in some game worlds/cities .

Unlucky has this oddness that when you die the Grim Reaper seems to take pity on you & lets you live on. Quite handy.

Just sticking up for the underdogs. ;)