Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions About Specific Sims in the Manage Households Tab

I am starting to build a "Custom Save File" for myself, and I have a few questions about specific Sims in the Manage Households tab.

I have moved the regular townies (the Goths, the Landgraabs, etc.) to the My Households tab by "favoriting" them by clicking the heart, and I will be marking them as played, as I plan to play all of them in rotation.

However, I have some questions about specific townies and NPCs from certain Expansion/Game packs. I have searched for the answers to these questions prior to writing this post, but I have found conflicting answers so I am still unsure so I figured I would try asking here.

Concerning the Henford-on-Bagley NPCs (like Kim Goldbloom, Michael Bell, etc.):

I want to protect them from culling/being randomly assigned other roles by the game, like bartender, food stall employee, etc., but I don't want to mark them as played, as I understand that will make them lose their special NPC roles (as grocery cart owner, creature keeper, etc.) If I favorite them by clicking the heart icon and move them to My Households, but don't actively play as them, will this achieve my goal of protecting them from culling/having them keep their NPC roles?

Also, can I edit them in CAS through the Manage Households tab (if, say, I wanted to change their outfits) or would that cause them to lose their NPC role? I have searched for the answer to this question, and some people say editing them in CAS will make them lose their roles, while others say it would be fine, so I am unsure which is correct.

I understand that, as far as the Scott Family is concerned, I can evict Sara and her husband from their home if I want to use the home for my own Sims, and as long as I do not entire live mode with them and mark them as played, then Sara should retain her role as Pub owner. But can I edit her and her husband in CAS, or will that make them lose their special role?

Also, from what I understand, HoB families like the Watsons can be edited freely as they are more "townies" then NPCs involved in the HoB errand system, correct?

Concerning the Realm of Magic Sages:

I understand the game technically considers them unemployed, so I want to prevent them from losing their unique role as Sages and prevent them from being randomly assigned odd jobs by the game like bartender, food stall employee, etc. Is it safe to move them to the My Households tab by clicking the heart? If I do this, but avoid playing them in live mode and marking them as played, will they retain their roles? Also, can I edit the Realm of Magic Sages in CAS without making them lose their role, or no? I have also searched for this answer, and some people say it is fine to edit them in CAS, while others say it will make them lose their special NPC roles, so again, I am unsure.

Concerning Island Living Mermaids:

Same question concerning the IL mermiads that come with the game - if I move them to the My Households tab, will they lose their role as NPC mermaids, and will new mermaids spawn in their place? Or is it safe to move them to the My Households tab? Also, I read somewhere that they cannot be edited in CAS - is this true, or can I edit them freely?

Concerning Discover University Professors:

Basically the same questions as above: Can I move them to the My Households tab and edit them in CAS, or will doing both/either of these things cause them to lose their role as Uni Professors?

Concerning Father Winter:

Finally, in the case of the original Father Winter, Clement Frost, from what I understand he is immortal, but I want to protect him from being assigned a random job like food stall employee or whatever (I would consider that very immersion-breaking!) so can I favorite him and move him to the My Households tab, and can I edit him in CAS, or would either or both of those actions cause him to lose his special role as Father Winter?

If you've taken the time to read this, thank you so much, I really appreciate it! I read a lot of threads on the Forum, but I rarely post myself. I know folks here are really knowledgeable about the game, so any answers you can provide to these questions based on your experiences with the game would be very helpful, as I have found conflicting answers to these questions elsewhere.

-AalyahReed

Comments

• SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    I'm not 100% sure but as long as you don't play them, they'll all keep their specific roles.

I've given the Scott family a makeover but I haven't played them. In my save file that I shared with the community, I deleted them and the game spawned another pub owner. Same thing with Father Winter.

I'm pretty sure you can edit them but if it were me, I would mark them as unplayed. I have Neighborhood Stories turned off for all of them as well. When I had it turned on, Father Winter moved to Sulani, Kim Goldbloom had a few kids, and Morgyn moved in to Newcrest.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • AalyahReedAalyahReed Posts: 209 Member
    @SweetieWright_84 That's so neat that you shared your Save File with the community! I'm just making my own for personal use. I don't use Neighborhood Stories (I don't like the idea of that amount of chaos in my game!) so I guess that means I can avoid the changes you mentioned, like Father Winter moving to Sulani, which is the last place I would think Father Winter would want to live!

I hope it is going to be okay to edit them in CAS. From what I understand, editing them in CAS automatically "favorites" them, but I would then just move them back to Other Households (unplayed)?

Thanks for replying!
  • Sorak4Sorak4 Posts: 3,935 Member
    It's safe to mark as played, I've had CAS made Sims before who end up in NPC roles like vendors at random even though they're marked as played. I've also been able to mark the sages as played and until they actually move into a house they stay as Sage when in the Magic Realm, so it shouldn't affect any other service Sims differently.
    L9q8VGi.png
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,128 Member
    AalyahReed wrote: »
    @SweetieWright_84 That's so neat that you shared your Save File with the community! I'm just making my own for personal use. I don't use Neighborhood Stories (I don't like the idea of that amount of chaos in my game!) so I guess that means I can avoid the changes you mentioned, like Father Winter moving to Sulani, which is the last place I would think Father Winter would want to live!

I hope it is going to be okay to edit them in CAS. From what I understand, editing them in CAS automatically "favorites" them, but I would then just move them back to Other Households (unplayed)?

Thanks for replying!

My save started out as a personal use thing too but as I worked on it, I thought others might enjoy it as well. I'm starting to think I may be a bit obsessed with making save files. I'm currently working on two--both involving premades--one I'm keeping for my personal gameplay because of mods, the other I haven't decided yet.

As far as editing NPCs or sims with specific roles, I have edited them and just marked them as unplayed. I haven't tested whether that affected their roles though, I'm in the remodeling process. So, I'll agree with Sorak4.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel