Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Update Is Here!

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,808 Member
    edited May 2022
    Simmingal wrote: »
    AWW YIBS TIME TO CHANGE IT ALL INTO ΜØŦĦ€Ř

btw anyone have ideas which premades would use they/them cause i guess i should set those for them

Morgyn Ember, Paka'a Uha, Lia Hoapili are the ones that come to mind first. Izzy Fabulous too.

Edit: I just remembered Oliana Ngata. Basically, half of Sulani.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Also maybe it's not the intended use but I like how we have enough characters to create titles too 👀

yay.png

“Her majesties” would be plural. The possessive should be “her majesty’s”.

-Grammar Police
  • KerriganKerrigan Posts: 1,572 Member
    While it wasn't a feature I would have asked for, I am really excited about it. I've mentioned in passing that my main sim Kerrigan is a boy even though he appears completely female in every way. It's kind of exciting to be able to make this small change to the way the game narrates the story. Also, Morgyn can finally get the "They/Them" pronouns so long deserved!

The change means a lot to some people and is a creative option for others. If you don't like it, don't use it but I recommend at least trying to have some fun with it.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    edited May 2022
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by simgirl1010 on
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,849 Member
    @LeGardePourpre totally with you about the servos... it was really strange having to choose a gender for my servo.

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited May 2022
    This update feels very performative, the sims team have purposely left in the lipstick lesbian flag on the option of avaliable flags when it was made by a racist, bigoted woman who was against gender non-conforming lesbians, including butch women. It feels as though whoever decided to include it and research the flag decided to ignore the controversy about the flag when including it, as to include many of the less common flags they would of had to of done some level of research. I am appalled that this must of been somewhat intentional, its not exactly easy to ignore, it also implies that the sims team did not interact with many LGBTQ+ community members during the implementation of these items. If you want to learn more about why it's problematic, you can google the lipstick lesbian flag as well as check out these blog posts:

https://www.deviantart.com/axris/journal/uh-752336215

https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/lgbt-pride-flags-meaning#slide-4

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/love-sex/relationships/a30254147/lesbian-flag/

Nah, they just went to Twitter for their research. No need to dig deeper, Twitter is as deep as they need to go when researching topics. Especially ones for the LGBT+ community, not like there's any nuance at all. /S
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,832 Member
    edited May 2022
    We reached out to the It Gets Better Project and GLAAD and worked with them to learn more about how pronouns are used, particularly by trans and nonbinary people.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/customizable-pronouns-dev-diary

The It Gets Better Project

The It Gets Better Project’s mission is to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth around the globe.

https://itgetsbetter.org/

GLAAD

GLAAD works through entertainment, news, and digital media to share stories from the LGBTQ community that accelerate acceptance.

https://www.glaad.org/

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,808 Member
    We reached out to the It Gets Better Project and GLAAD and worked with them to learn more about how pronouns are used, particularly by trans and nonbinary people.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/customizable-pronouns-dev-diary

The It Gets Better Project

The It Gets Better Project’s mission is to uplift, empower, and connect lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) youth around the globe.

https://itgetsbetter.org/

GLAAD

GLAAD works through entertainment, news, and digital media to share stories from the LGBTQ community that accelerate acceptance.

https://www.glaad.org/sites/default/files/GLAAD-Social-Share.jpg

Thank you!

• mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    I don't understand what the big hullabaloo is about todays update. If you completely ignore the drop down menu in cas for pronouns, then it will be as if it was never put in the game at all. I am happy for those who needed this in their game and thankful for Maxis EA listening to their players feelings. People need to chill and show love to all. The world is a sad place at the moment with war and pandemic, we don't need this negativity on our forums. Just smile and wave whether you are going to use it or not <3 Happy simming everyone :)
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    Awesome!
    He/Him
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    Finvola wrote: »
    I don't think it does yet. My sim is still listed as "father" and "husband" even though her pronouns are she/her. I don't think it's that detailed yet, unfortunately.
    Grandparent , parent , spouse , sibling , child and grandchild will probably replace them later.

I don't know how to replace uncle/aunt and nephew/niece.

I don't know how I feel about replacing mother/father with parent. It would be nice as an option, just like these pronouns are optional. (or will be for me and other non-English speaking simmers) but it would be a shame if all references to fathers and mothers were replaced by a neutral version for all sims. It would feel as if binary sims are loosing part of their identity if this would be applied to all sims regardless of their gender.

As for the problem with no neutral version for aunt/uncle and nephew/niece, in Dutch there is no word for sibling or cousin either.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Mother and Father, at spanish is Madre and Padre
    Just change M and P
    neutral term (but no official) would be Xadre (or Xadres in plural), as the term Parent or Parents is translated to Padres (than also is plural Fathers)
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member

btw anyone have ideas which premades would use they/them cause i guess i should set those for them

I plan on changing Darling Walsh to they/them. I'm also curious to see which premades others suggest 🤔
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    why waste dev time on these small useless details when there are bigger issues that affect the gameplay still lingering

For many players this IS a big thing that has been addressed, a feature like this has been asked for a very long time now. Like, that body frame customization update they did a while big is a very huge deal for me, it allowed me to make a female character with a masculine frame, something that I cannot really do in practically every other game out there, and I still find it appalling that some vocal people thought that Maxis had their priorities backwards.

The Sims is all about expressing yourself, has been from the very beginning, and it always had been a game all about options. Pronoun choice factors into it and it affects a sizable amount of people who play the game. Plus, compared to some of the deep cut issues that many players face, this isn't exactly a difficult and time consuming operation.

Game devs don't always have to pander to you. What you might think is a useless feature is lauded by many other people. It's not wasted time, and in the light of the amount of the positive feedback this update had and the benefits to effort ratio I see, I think is very well worth it to implement this feature. And if you don't like this update? Well, you can just ignore it. It's a free update after all, and it's not forced onto as others pointed out. Lots of bug fixes happen that doesn't affect me at all, yet I still understand and appreciate them, attempts to improve other player's experiences and allow for more options should be praised, not "why aren't they fixing this problem instead".
    A1hnP0t.png
    edited May 2022
    Ray_Trace wrote: »
    why waste dev time on these small useless details when there are bigger issues that affect the gameplay still lingering

For many players this IS a big thing that has been addressed, a feature like this has been asked for a very long time now. Like, that body frame customization update they did a while big is a very huge deal for me, it allowed me to make a female character with a masculine frame, something that I cannot really do in practically every other game out there, and I still find it appalling that some vocal people thought that Maxis had their priorities backwards.

The Sims is all about expressing yourself, has been from the very beginning, and it always had been a game all about options. Pronoun choice factors into it and it affects a sizable amount of people who play the game. Plus, compared to some of the deep cut issues that many players face, this isn't exactly a difficult and time consuming operation.

Game devs don't always have to pander to you. What you might think is a useless feature is lauded by many other people. It's not wasted time, and in the light of the amount of the positive feedback this update had and the benefits to effort ratio I see, I think is very well worth it to implement this feature. And if you don't like this update? Well, you can just ignore it. It's a free update after all, and it's not forced onto as others pointed out. Lots of bug fixes happen that doesn't affect me at all, yet I still understand and appreciate them, attempts to improve other player's experiences and allow for more options should be praised, not "why aren't they fixing this problem instead".

As far as I understand every single line of text in the game that includes he/she, his/her, him/her had to be updated to work with a third custom choice. And this across all 30+ packs. That sure is time consuming.

If custom pronouns are worth the effort depends on a players personal priorities. I am happy for those who have asked for this. It seems to be very important for a certain part of the simmers. And because it is totally optional, I don't think it will bother those who don't need custom pronouns.

My only concern is what this means for adding gallery sims to my game that were created in other languages. I hope they don't become bugged.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I'm primarily comparing this to some of the deeper issues that are apparent with the game (such as how broken My Wedding Stories launched, which shows cracks in the game's engine, or how the game handles jealousy, or how people perceive the emotion system overpowering traits or how the game has very tiny lots and littered with loading screen...the "issues" the poster is complaining about seems to be vague headaches about how the game runs probably relating to those criticisms). I'm not really denying that the pronoun implementation didn't take any effort (they said themselves, took a while to get consultants and how to tastefully implement this in and that other languages are still in development) but compared to the grand scheme of the culmination of what players are criticizing with the game, I think this is fairly small scale.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Freckles1971Freckles1971 Posts: 507 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    after seeing this update.... im done with this game. Keep real life drama out of video games

You do realize it’s an opt in system. If you don’t want to use it, you don’t have to. Your game doesn’t have to change one bit.

I thought the sims 4 was all about real life drama? The real life drama you make happen in game,what with making decisions when other sims call your sims for advice?
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member

Morgyn Ember, Paka'a Uha, Lia Hoapili are the ones that come to mind first. Izzy Fabulous too.

Edit: I just remembered Oliana Ngata. Basically, half of Sulani.

awww, Im so happy for some of my favourite sims! I love Morgyn and Paka and now they get to be properly represented.
    Also I can change my simself to they/them too.

Anybody who is upset with this change clearly has been playing a different game. The Sims has always been massively inclusive and we've been able to make LGBT sims for ages.....
    now we finally get to add the +
    hurrah!! :D
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Yaaay thanks for this!!
    As others mentioned, gonna be so fun to play around with custom pronouns.

For those who didn’t want this: just sit back and pretend you didn’t read about it. Your games wont be affected.
    It’s us who wanted it who has a hassle of changing all our sims into correct pronouns that are affected 😅

Sidenote: I wasn’t aware how much I wanted this until it was implemented. Much respect for the hard work behind this. 💕

Question: Will there ever be an option to assign uncle/aunt, cousin, stepsister/brother, niece/nephew?
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2022
    @Atreya33 wrote: »
    As for the problem with no neutral version for aunt/uncle and nephew/niece.

It's probably pibling (parent sibling) and nibling (child of sibling)
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,374 Member
    It's a nice update. I probably won't use it that much for my Sims, but it's good to have the option and it's awesome for players who really wanted it. :)
    I will at least use it for premades like Paka'a Uha and Morgyn Ember. Also maybe my Sims will have children who identify as non-binary.
    I just changed my game language from Finnish to English about a week ago and I'm glad I did it.
    @Atreya33 wrote: »
    As for the problem with no neutral version for aunt/uncle and nephew/niece.

It's probably pibling (parent sibling) and nibling (child of sibling)

Interesting choices. It is possible I presume. This reminds me of someone who tried to invent the word sibling in Dutch. He used it in a lecture but had to explain the word because people in the audience had no idea what he was talking about. He too tried to combine two words into one. Who knows, maybe in a few years these are commonly known terms.
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited May 2022

Morgyn Ember and Darling Walsh seem non-binary to me. I think Lia is MTF trans, so will be she/her, if she isn't already.
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    Holy Cow Plant, just read comments on the sims insta page about this update.
    Scary to see all the negative comments about this. Truly scares me that there are so many out there with such close minded opinions 😢 Like there’s not enough hate out there already.

For those who gets discouraged by negative comments like this, just know you got love on your side. 💖💖💖

And I sort of pity those haters cause they’ll never truly experience the joy and love that the inclusiveness bring.
    SignatureSparkly.gif
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    EmmaVane wrote: »

Morgyn Ember and Darling Walsh seem non-binary to me. I think Lia is MTF trans, so will be she/her, if she isn't already.

I always assumed that Lia was meant to represent Māhū or other Polynesian cultural third-gender people. I could be wrong, but that's what she is in my game. In saves wherein she appears (in my game), I'll be keeping the "she/her" pronouns because storywise I consider her gender to be more of a cultural and spiritual part of her identity (haʻawahine) than a literally transgendered person in the context of the modern usage. Of course, other players may see Lia in their own way and should feel free to call her/them whatever they personally feel most comfortable with. :)
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top