Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gender Update Is Here!

Comments

• DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,809 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Good for those who wanted it but is there a way to turn it off? I don’t want “they/them” in my game

According to what I've read on twitter, if you ignore the Custom Pronouns dropdown, then the game will continue as it has in the past. The most interaction that may be required if you don't want gender neutral or custom pronouns is to change them for future Pre-Made sims who may take advantage of the new feature.

They really seem to have set this up as unobtrusively as possible.

That is exactly how it's working. Like @EA_Cade said it's total opt in, not out.

Bravo devs!!!

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Stupid question: My game is in german, and therefore doesn't support the new update yet. If I change my game language to english in Origin now, will I get the pronoun update?
  • AkilAkil Posts: 253 Member
    While pronouns are a very important piece when it comes to greater inclusivity for The Sims 4, we understand that customizable pronouns will not make the game 100-percent gender neutral. You will still see instances of gendered language in the game such as mother, father, policeman, policewoman, etc.

Making The Sims 4 more inclusive of gender neutrality is an ongoing learning and development process for us and we will continue to update this feature over time. For now, we hope the ability to choose your preferred and custom pronouns for your Sims will make your game feel more welcoming and kind.

I like how they did this update a lot so I have hope for their future steps as well but I would hate for them to remove all gendered language like Mother/Father completely. I want them to add options for everyone not wash all identities but neutral away like some games have.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    edited May 2022
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,142 Member
    I had for my german game an update of 480MB, that seems a little bit too big for these two bug fixes. I already know that the pronom are only in english, but I play in german. I'm just wondering.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,318 EA Community Manager
    Stupid question: My game is in german, and therefore doesn't support the new update yet. If I change my game language to english in Origin now, will I get the pronoun update?

Not a stupid question at all!

Yes, you'll get the update BUT your save files won't transfer. A new folder will be created for English saves, you can try copying the save files over to the English folder but it may have..."consequences".
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    The game is batting 1.000. It hasn't misgendered once.
    xpRchaF.jpg?1
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    So now people who play the game in English officially have a different version of the game?
    Initially, the customizable pronouns feature will only be available in English, however we plan on rolling out the feature to all 18 languages over time. At launch, custom pronouns can be uploaded to the Gallery and used in English only

What does that quote from the patch notes mean for the gallery? Will people who play the game in a different language than English still be able to download Sims from English games?.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »
    Yup!

Patch notes are over here. If you run into any issues with customized pronouns not applying correctly please let us know here.

Thank you Cade!
  • ncisGibbs02ncisGibbs02 Posts: 2,019 Member

Thanks for posting! I’m very glad you can decide when to use the feature. 😊

My biggest concern was that you would have to manually assign every Sim. I was not looking forward to going through 80 played Sims and umpteen townies! 😫

Now alternating between Sims 2,3 and 4! 😊☕️🌞
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,422 Member
    EA_Cade wrote: »

Not a stupid question at all!

Yes, you'll get the update BUT your save files won't transfer. A new folder will be created for English saves, you can try copying the save files over to the English folder but it may have..."consequences".

What consequences are we talking about? I used save files from other simmers before (created in English, used in a Dutch game) and didn't notice anything suspicious. Will this no longer work properly now that the English game is different from the rest?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    I love how it turned out in the end. It isn't forced and I don't have set pronouns for every single sim I have, Plus it stayed as "Hello, my name is..." and it helps people express themselves.

Though I do wonder one thing. If a sim is created in an English language of the game and a person who plays in another language downloads the sim, what will happen?
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2022
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited May 2022
    EgonVM wrote: »
    I love how it turned out in the end. It isn't forced and I don't have set pronouns for every single sim I have, Plus it stayed as "Hello, my name is..." and it helps people express themselves.

Though I do wonder one thing. If a sim is created in an English language of the game and a person who plays in another language downloads the sim, what will happen?

If their using a custom pronoun in the English version but is downloaded to another language game; it'll likely just default to the game's initial binary settings (pre-update).

Edit: Very happy with the pronoun update! I imagine there will be some bumps but nothing that can't be patched/fixed later. I'm quite pleased with the options (particularly the customized one) as that covers all possibilities people could want.
    The devs take a lot of heat from us, but I think in this case they have more than earned a round of applause.👏👏
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,836 Member
    I think @SimGuruFrost is around. 👋
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    edited May 2022
    Akil wrote: »
    I like how they did this update a lot so I have hope for their future steps as well but I would hate for them to remove all gendered language like Mother/Father completely. I want them to add options for everyone not wash all identities but neutral away like some games have.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing after reading the patch notes, @EACade, what does that mean
    For this first iteration of the feature we focused on pronouns. While pronouns are a very important piece when it comes to greater inclusivity for The Sims 4, we understand that customizable pronouns will not make the game 100-percent gender neutral. You will still see instances of gendered language in the game such as mother, father, policeman, policewoman, etc.

Are they eventually going to erase those? I mean I don't really care about policeman/policewoman - Officer would be fine with me, but are they doing away with Mother/Father, Sister/Brother, Aunt/Uncle, etc and if so .... with what?

Again, my fear is this ..... inclusivity is great for everyone who wanted it added, but don't make some people feel ostracized because we don't use non-gendered titles. That would be the anti-thesis of inclusion to me. It needs to be added as an option for players to set what they want, not universally changed to be 100% non-gendered.

For the parental roles the best solution (assuming they want to actually change this in the first place, they may not as the pronoun venture is already a lot of work in itself) would be just to put in an optional "select/change {family relation} role title" feature in CAS somewhere. As an example, quick google search has
    "Nonbinary parent names include “Maddy,” “Adi,” “Poppy,” and “Nibi.'" These are parent names and not parent titles, but they're the equivalent of "Mom/Dad/Mommy/Daddy" some nonbinary folks use and there is no universal one. So the best option would be to have the title itself be an opt-in customizable option you can rename to w/e you want.

While I can understand being concerned about unwanted changes, but since the first part is strictly an "opt in" I don't see how direction would change in future updates. Especially with family titles which is a bit more personal vs career titles/roles. This isn't an @ you specifically, I just don't want to see people winding themselves up and getting mad for no reason again.

EDIT: Extra clarification + some fixes.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,318 EA Community Manager
    The devs take a lot of heat from us, but I think in this case they have more than earned a round of applause.👏👏

Round passed on. :smiley:
    Akil wrote: »

Yeah I was wondering the same thing after reading the patch notes, @EACade, what does that mean
    For this first iteration of the feature we focused on pronouns. While pronouns are a very important piece when it comes to greater inclusivity for The Sims 4, we understand that customizable pronouns will not make the game 100-percent gender neutral. You will still see instances of gendered language in the game such as mother, father, policeman, policewoman, etc.

Are they eventually going to erase those? I mean I don't really care about policeman/policewoman - Officer would be fine with me, but are they doing away with Mother/Father, Sister/Brother, Aunt/Uncle, etc and if so .... with what?

Again, my fear is this ..... inclusivity is great for everyone who wanted it added, but don't make some people feel ostracized because we don't use non-gendered titles. That would be the anti-thesis of inclusion to me. It needs to be added as an option for players to set what they want, not universally changed to be 100% non-gendered.

I don't have anything to announce on that, but I would be very surprised if whatever is implemented isn't completely optional like this release was.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
    Thank you Cade. They got it spot on, I can't imagine it being more seamless . Everybody gets what they want. Those of us who wanted pronouns have them. Those that didn't, their game doesn't change unless they change it. Perfect. Win/win.
  • JALJAL Posts: 1,030 Member
    It's not the update I was hoping for, but I'm happy for everyone who wanted this. It seems to have been very well implemented, so well done!
    Moreover, I advise that the cart button must be destroyed!
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,215 Member
    edited May 2022
    This update sounds like "Sorry, you're not invited to the party, VIP only. Wait for your turn outside"

cfb_2x10.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top