Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Comments

• sinnyoncesinnyonce Posts: 88 Member
    Does this update apply for all languages or only English? I play in English but curious to know.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    To be all-inclusive if you have no need it doesn't need to be used at all and it's not everywhere so it's fair for everyone which is all I cared about.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,015 Member
    Dang, looks like they went pretty in-depth with this one. I like how they didn't just go with a stock They/Them/Their option for nonbinary sims, but added more customization. I'll make some nonbinary sims to test this out.

And with the way they made it, you can use custom pronouns to have some fun. My hivemind sim can identify as "we/ours," and royal sims can be called "his/her majesty" (or something else, if there are character limits.)
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited May 2022
    I'm curious how they managed the custom pronouns menu for all of the different languages that are supported by the game due to varying grammatical structures

ETA: I read on Twitter it's only in English
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Anyone updated yet? Does it show up as text in game + does it persistently show at the top in CAS?
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,661 Member
    edited May 2022
    Onverser wrote: »
    Anyone updated yet? Does it show up as text in game + does it persistently show at the top in CAS?

I've been playing for a few minutes now and have forced some popups but haven't seen the pronouns display anywhere other than in CAS. The big thing I wanted from it was when I make a gender nonconforming sim that it doesn't misgender them and so far as I can see that's all that it does and it isn't obtrusive about it. So far very well done, and just what I feel a lot of us that this would pertain to wanted.
  • MilutinMujovicMilutinMujovic Posts: 1,188 Member
    Anything else that is interesting in this update? Did anyone find references to werewolves?
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    My game is in French, and there's no pronoun option. But it's not such a big thing here either.
  • simmeroriginsimmerorigin Posts: 1,370 Member

I've been playing for a few minutes now and have forced some popups but haven't seen the pronouns display anywhere other than in CAS. The big thing I wanted from it was when I make a gender nonconforming sim that it doesn't misgender them and so far as I can see that's all that it does and it isn't obtrusive about it. So far very well done, and just what I feel a lot of us that this would pertain to wanted.

You haven't seen pronouns being displayed yet so you haven't been able to verify, or you've seen pronouns but they are not the correct ones set in CAS?
    He/him | Simmer since Sims 1 | Active Sims 2 wants-based rotational player, Sims 3 legacy player | My gameplay rules via PleasantSims | Bring back challenge and depth to the Sims: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17959464/#Comment_17959464
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    Oh. Right. I forgot about this one. Neat.

Did I miss the patch notes? Wondering if they fixed anything.

You haven't seen pronouns being displayed yet so you haven't been able to verify, or you've seen pronouns but they are not the correct ones set in CAS?

I'm trying to force some dialogs. So far in situations where the game comes up and says he or she, it is going with the pronoun choice and not the sims CAS gender. I'm working with a sim who has a CAS gender of male, but presents as female and uses she/her pronouns and so far it is using she/her not he/him.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

Not out yet :(
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,262 EA Community Manager
    Yup!

Patch notes are over here. If you run into any issues with customized pronouns not applying correctly please let us know here.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    Just two bug fixes.....

Not out yet :(

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Good for those who wanted it but is there a way to turn it off? I don’t want “they/them” in my game

According to what I've read on twitter, if you ignore the Custom Pronouns dropdown, then the game will continue as it has in the past. The most interaction that may be required if you don't want gender neutral or custom pronouns is to change them for future Pre-Made sims who may take advantage of the new feature.

They really seem to have set this up as unobtrusively as possible.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Patch notes copied here to facilitate discussion.

Patch Notes
    Update 05/24/2022
    PC: 1.88.213.1030 / Mac: 1.88.213.1230
    Console: Version 1.59

Hello Simmers!

We didn’t just meet you, but it was crazy. We hope you enjoyed the visit from Callia Maebey! All kidding aside, summer is almost here and we’ve got an amazing update to share with you this month!

Not only do we have bug fixes to share, but we’re also releasing the new feature of Customizable Pronouns in The Sims™ 4!

Let’s dive in and see what’s included in this update.

-The Sims Team

What’s New?

Customizable Pronouns Now Available in Create A Sim

We’re happy to announce that as of today, you will be able to customize your Sims’ pronouns in Create A Sim (CAS) in The Sims 4 if your game client is set to English.

To change the pronouns for your Sim, simply click on the ‘Hello, my name is…’ tab next to the plumbob. You’ll see the ‘Custom Pronouns’ drop down menu where you’ll be able to select from They/Them, She/Her, He/Him, and Custom Pronouns.

If you’ve chosen to use custom pronouns the feature will automatically change pronouns that show up when referring to the Sim to match what you’ve chosen. While the feature has been fully tested, there may be instances where the incorrect conjugation of pronouns or the default pronoun of the assigned gender may still appear due to the intricacies of grammar in English. We’ll be working to improve the feature over time, so please let us know if you run into instances where the incorrect pronoun is displayed on this Answers HQ thread.

Initially, the customizable pronouns feature will only be available in English, however we plan on rolling out the feature to all 18 languages over time. At launch, custom pronouns can be uploaded to the Gallery and used in English only.

For this first iteration of the feature we focused on pronouns. While pronouns are a very important piece when it comes to greater inclusivity for The Sims 4, we understand that customizable pronouns will not make the game 100-percent gender neutral. You will still see instances of gendered language in the game such as mother, father, policeman, policewoman, etc.

Making The Sims 4 more inclusive of gender neutrality is an ongoing learning and development process for us and we will continue to update this feature over time. For now, we hope the ability to choose your preferred and custom pronouns for your Sims will make your game feel more welcoming and kind.

Bug Fixes

The Sims 4

We’ve reduced clipping around the ears while using the braided hair with the red bow.
    Get Together

The ‘Change Game’ interaction should now appear when interacting with the “Don’t Wake the Llama” table game.
    It is working and used her just as it should! This is awesome!
    U837J8e.jpg?2
  • EA_CadeEA_Cade Posts: 7,262 EA Community Manager
    sinnyonce wrote: »
    Does this update apply for all languages or only English? I play in English but curious to know.

English only for now.
    Good for those who wanted it but is there a way to turn it off? I don’t want “they/them” in my game

You have to opt in to it, not opt out.
    Found a Bug? Let us know here. Having a technical issue with your game? Reach out to us here. 9alz5vu73pb0.png

You have to assign them in CAS otherwise it is default off, from what I can see.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top