Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Unplayed Sims Having Babies?

Hello! I have a question about unplayed sims, not sure if there is already a discussion for this. I noticed that families I have never played with are all of a sudden having babies. Like my Bailey-Moon family has 2 new kids and a third one on the way. I have my neighborhood stories on but I never received a call from them asking if they should try for baby or anything. This also happened to another family who now has a new baby. Am I missing something? Is this a new thing?
Ayy It's Mell ♥

Comments

• DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    ayyitsmell wrote: »
    Hello! I have a question about unplayed sims, not sure if there is already a discussion for this. I noticed that families I have never played with are all of a sudden having babies. Like my Bailey-Moon family has 2 new kids and a third one on the way. I have my neighborhood stories on but I never received a call from them asking if they should try for baby or anything. This also happened to another family who now has a new baby. Am I missing something? Is this a new thing?

When they improved neighborhood stories, they made it so that families would have (and adopt) kids autonomously without player input if you leave "have babies" and "adopt children" on in the master controls for Neighborhood stories. You can turn it off for all unplayed households, or just for select ones.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    Its amazing how many babies other sims are having, I think it will need to be lowered with an update soon. I noticed it with my new rotational gameplay game, every time I check the mailbox for news someone either adopted or had a baby LOL
  • ayyitsmellayyitsmell Posts: 434 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

When they improved neighborhood stories, they made it so that families would have (and adopt) kids autonomously without player input if you leave "have babies" and "adopt children" on in the master controls for Neighborhood stories. You can turn it off for all unplayed households, or just for select ones.

Oh wow! That's pretty cool actually. I saw several families having babies so I had to increase my sim capacity to 'unlimited' instead of 200. Hopefully it doesn't get too wild in my game LOL. Thank you for the insight!
    Ayy It's Mell ♥

• verlainemverlainem Posts: 837 Member
    I just wish that the families having so many kids weren't in 1 bedroom houses lol and single sims in the 3+ bedroom ones lol. I am hoping the move in /option will fix that eventually
    EA ID burnished_dragon
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    edited May 2022
    verlainem wrote: »
    I just wish that the families having so many kids weren't in 1 bedroom houses lol and single sims in the 3+ bedroom ones lol. I am hoping the move in /option will fix that eventually

Why do you think they finally gave us bunk beds?

You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Umbreon12Umbreon12 Posts: 877 Member
    In the majority of my saves, the Goths usually welcome new babies into their family.
    In some saves, the Landgraabs have adopted a son in one save file, while in others they have another baby.
    Outside of them, many of the families are having babies.
    I have left the feature on for now, because I want more options for any of my in-game born Sims.
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

Oh wow! That's pretty cool actually. I saw several families having babies so I had to increase my sim capacity to 'unlimited' instead of 200. Hopefully it doesn't get too wild in my game LOL. Thank you for the insight!

The more sims the more fun! :)
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • Chaotic_MoiraChaotic_Moira Posts: 482 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    Its amazing how many babies other sims are having, I think it will need to be lowered with an update soon. I noticed it with my new rotational gameplay game, every time I check the mailbox for news someone either adopted or had a baby LOL

Yeah I quickly realized it is a little too heavy handed for my taste. I basically adjusted it so only half of my unplayed houses are able to adopt or have children, and then once they have two, I turn it off for that household. I also didn't like that houses with just roommates were adopting and having kids, so I turned it off for them.
    Features I'd like brought back from the dead.
    | Picture in Picture mode | Custom Paintings | Preset scenarios for resident sims | Placing my own lots |
    | Saving my own Buy Mode collections! | Saving an outfit in CAS | CaSt. Smaller is ok | Open World |
  • cornflake88cornflake88 Posts: 368 Member
    I let all my played and unplayed sims have babies and adopt. They grow up with a family tree and I like that
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Its a nice feature, but as with everything else TS4, its exaggerated and happens too often. I've had to turn off all options, except move in and get new career/retire. I didn't like that pre-mades moved out of their family homes. Random townies can move whereever, but not the Goth's.

I play with aging off always, and I find it difficult to deal with all the babies. I have no idea what to do with them. They'll just stay babies forever.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    It hasn't been too much for me it appeared allowing all the unplayed have kids made the game pick a few here and there who have kids, since you can turn it off and pick a few families to add to their homes customizing what feels right for you I hope they don't mess with it. Might even be good to stop them until your played sims are ready for more babies so there are love interests at the same age and whatnot.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
  • GrumpyGlowfishGrumpyGlowfish Posts: 2,207 Member
    edited May 2022
    The autonomous baby-making can make the population explode rather quickly. I thought the MCCC preset was over the top, which is why I don't use that mod, but the official story progression settings are just as bad. The first time I played after the update, I had forgotten about it, until I noticed that everybody and their mother was suddenly popping out babies like a popcorn machine. Had to resort to my trusty old baby-slaying tools again.

But unlike with MCCC, at least I know how to turn it off, and over time I turned off all the other NPC life choices as well. Because as soon as you disable one of them, the others become even more annoyingly frequent, and the job hopping was getting out of hand, too.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    Well, I have seen one of my played sims pregnant, I have no idea how that happened. I have stories turned off completely for played sims and it was never switched on for them at any point, but her belly definitely has a nooboo in it.
  • MarnettiMarnetti Posts: 1,047 Member
    edited May 2022
    The autonomous baby-making can make the population explode rather quickly. I thought the MCCC preset was over the top, which is why I don't use that mod, but the official story progression settings are just as bad. The first time I played after the update, I had forgotten about it, until I noticed that everybody and their mother was suddenly popping out babies like a popcorn machine. Had to resort to my trusty old baby-slaying tools again.

But unlike with MCCC, at least I know how to turn it off, and over time I turned off all the other NPC life choices as well. Because as soon as you disable one of them, the others become even more annoyingly frequent, and the job hopping was getting out of hand, too.

You can change the percentage of how often you want sims to have babies with MCCC. You can also choose which days of the week MCCC will roll a dice (based on your percentage) and see who gets pregnant.

This way it can be as often or as little as you’d like.
    ~I just like lifestates. Is that too much to ask for?~
    tumblr_p4xbgrS3wO1tltr42o1_500.gif
  • TiinahejTiinahej Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! I keep getting this issue despite deactivating the options ”sims can adopt a child”, ”move in” or ”move out” in my game and random families keep filling empty lots and still, they keep adopting babies! What might be wrong here? Is this a bug? Should I just deactivate Neighbourhood Stories altogether? It’s getting really annoying when the Goth family are 3 new kids in since lasy week!
    edited August 2022
    Marnetti wrote: »
    You can change the percentage of how often you want sims to have babies with MCCC. You can also choose which days of the week MCCC will roll a dice (based on your percentage) and see who gets pregnant.

This way it can be as often or as little as you’d like.
    I'm sure I could do that if I knew how, but MCCC has so many functions that it can be hard to find the one you're looking for if you don't know what you're doing. This wouldn't be a problem if it didn't come with presets, but it does, and the creators seem to think that everybody loves babies. I learned this the hard way the first two times I reluctantly downloaded the mod because I couldn't find anything else that let me do what I wanted to do at the time, and both times I ended up regretting it because it caused more damage to my save than it helped. If not for those presets, I would use the mod, but as it is now, it comes with too many pre-enabled traps that I might not even notice until it's too late.

Tiinahej wrote: »
    Hi! I keep getting this issue despite deactivating the options ”sims can adopt a child”, ”move in” or ”move out” in my game and random families keep filling empty lots and still, they keep adopting babies! What might be wrong here? Is this a bug? Should I just deactivate Neighbourhood Stories altogether? It’s getting really annoying when the Goth family are 3 new kids in since lasy week!
    Have you disabled these options for both played and unplayed households, or just one of them?
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,284 Member
    I turned off NS for a time, but then I missed reading what was going on, so I got it turned back on. You're all quite correct, sometimes enough is too much.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MeliathenaMeliathena Posts: 7 New Member
    I had to disable the having babies and adopting options after too many babies appeared from nowhere in my game.

One of my Sims got 4 new children in a single gaming section, while she already had triplets (she was the Sims I made for the 3 toddlers scenario). So, there was 7 toddlers and babies in her household. It had become unplayable. It was ridiculous.

The Pancakes also had 4 or 5 babies.

I wish the algorithm took into account the number of children already in the households.
  • PaulGRPaulGR Posts: 31 Member
    This is getting ridiculous. I have the Stories off and still there are unplayed households that end up having 3-4 babies. Every time I have to log in the household, age up the babies, then enter CAS and delete them.

That NS idea is plain stupid. I don’t want it in my game. And even when it’s off there are still adoptions, marriages and so on taking place. It’s ruining my save.

• mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Hi @PaulGR Have you checked all of the following places:
    Main Menu > Gameplay Options > Neighborhood Stories > on/off switch (you might have to scroll down to find Neighborhood Stories)
    Manage Worlds > Household Manager > My Households > Neighborhood Stories in top right corner > turn all the options off
    Manage Worlds > Household Manager > Other Households > Neighborhood Stories in top right corner > turn all the options off

Have you been talking to any sims about expanding the family?
    Have you answered Yes to any phone calls from other sims about trying for a baby?
    gen3-banner.png
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,548 Member
    PaulGR wrote: »
    This is getting ridiculous. I have the Stories off and still there are unplayed households that end up having 3-4 babies. Every time I have to log in the household, age up the babies, then enter CAS and delete them.

That NS idea is plain stupid. I don’t want it in my game. And even when it’s off there are still adoptions, marriages and so on taking place. It’s ruining my save.

Hiya. Neighborhood Stories is off by default for households in your “My Households” tab, but on by default in the “Other Households” tab. If you haven’t turned it off in Other Households, your townies will still be influenced by it. It is also customizable for every household in both tabs, so you can control what you want it to do. Or, as @mightysprite has said, go to Gameplay options and turn it off for the whole game, if you don’t want it at all.

But, you’re indicating that you have unwanted marriages in your game. As far as I know, Neighborhood Stories doesn’t do autonomous marriages. If you have MCCC, you might want to check those settings, because it does marry sims off in the background.
    cyncie wrote: »

Hiya. Neighborhood Stories is off by default for households in your “My Households” tab, but on by default in the “Other Households” tab. If you haven’t turned it off in Other Households, your townies will still be influenced by it. It is also customizable for every household in both tabs, so you can control what you want it to do. Or, as @mightysprite has said, go to Gameplay options and turn it off for the whole game, if you don’t want it at all.

But, you’re indicating that you have unwanted marriages in your game. As far as I know, Neighborhood Stories doesn’t do autonomous marriages. If you have MCCC, you might want to check those settings, because it does marry sims off in the background.

I have turned it off for the whole game under Main Menu > Game Options > Disable NS (it has a small text letting you know you disable them entirely).

There are no marriages, it was my mistake. I meant pregnancies.

edited September 2022
    Hi @PaulGR Have you checked all of the following places:
    Main Menu > Gameplay Options > Neighborhood Stories > on/off switch (you might have to scroll down to find Neighborhood Stories)
    Manage Worlds > Household Manager > My Households > Neighborhood Stories in top right corner > turn all the options off
    Manage Worlds > Household Manager > Other Households > Neighborhood Stories in top right corner > turn all the options off

Have you been talking to any sims about expanding the family?
    Have you answered Yes to any phone calls from other sims about trying for a baby?

I’ve never talked about expanding the family or saying Yes to phone calls indicating having children.

I have disable NS from the Game Options. This causes any other NS option (the ones under Household Manager) to be greyed out, which is expected since it disables the NS feature entirely. So no additional changes can be made other than disabling NS from Game Options.

I’d be ok with the feature but it is BROKEN. I have unplayed households with just one single sim end up adopting 5 cats and having 4 babies. It’s just ridiculous.
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,806 Member
    Ok, sounds like you disabled it properly then.

One more thing to try that seems to help with NS problems: Click on mailbox to cycle through all the outstanding notifications (might take a bunch of clicks but you only have to do this once, we hope) until you get the "Nothing new has happened recently" message. Then set your desired NS settings, save game, exit and re-enter game.

If that doesn't help then there is a thread here about a persistent bug which does seem to happen to some people, unfortunately, but you could leave a Me Too and/or share your info.
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Can-t-disable-Neighbourhood-Stories/m-p/11365891
    gen3-banner.png
    I have the Stories off and still there are unplayed households that end up having 3-4 babies. Every time I have to log in the household, age up the babies, then enter CAS and delete them.

Tip from someone with a lot of experience fighting baby overpopulation: Go to Manage Households, move all unwanted babies in with some random townie, and delete that household. That's the fastest method I've discovered.