Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 focused aim & execution on inclusivity /representation - helpful or harmful?

StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
edited December 2021 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
(If this thread cannot exist pls due to theme or comments, pls delete, i dunno if it will straddle too close to any rulebreaking depending on content or attitude in comments. Please be respectful of all perspectives and worldviews. Everyone is entitled to how they feel, but everyone is also entitled to respect)

Main Poll Question:
Do you think the Sims 4's execution & aim of being more 'inclusive' has been moreso helpful or harmful to the game/series as a whole?

°°°
Possible Bonus Questions if you leave a comment (pick as few or many as u want):
In what ways has the execution of this goal been done well? In what ways has it been done poorly?
Do you think the focus on inclusivity/representation is something you're interested in seeing being more developed or explored in the game?
What areas of inclusivity or representation do you feel are being left out, if any?
Are there other goals for the series you think requires more focus?
Is representation/inclusivity as a priority or necessity for you as a player?
Do you think the Sims series needs a focus on representation in the game as whole?
Do you feel like previous iterations have done well or poorly in this goal?
In any future systems or updates centering inclusivity or representation, what would you like to see done as far as features or execution of any features?

As a disclaimer:
I am not saying whether whatever specific additons are inherently helpful or harmful (example: "I dont like X hair/clothes that belongs to X minority group") I am not talking about specific additions or content. I am talking about a general focus or direction of what the team considers representation & inclusivity and if the updates or systems instituted have left you satisfied or unsatisfied.

---
I know some people may consider a 'both' or 'other' option but there is no multiselect and added no other for sake of clarity. If your response truly doesnt fit in a poll option you can choose not to vote.
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

The Sims 4 focused aim & execution on inclusivity /representation - helpful or harmful? 140 votes

I like the aim & execution of the goal - It is helpful and both are done well
11%
lisamwittfriendlysimmersluthienrisingMiaSkywalkerKhrisstyneTrashmagicyogurrt_toobSuperCoolRachaelsuperkyle221NikkihNushkaRay_TracewildleafbatSimsJediAnnarithBallantyneJadeDahlia 16 votes
I like the aim but not the execution - Its something I want but want it done differently
54%
Omri147StormkeepIsb917SimburianWillowG145simgirl1010Ninoosimbarracuda1574CharlotteknKironideskybird14SadieD123TrowiciaKaon45wormofthebookGemmie12bixtersLeccaKianijohenson20Renato10 76 votes
I like the execution but not the aim - Its not something I want but I appreciate the efforts
7%
babajayneakuheikomatsudeedles64Babykittyjadeannaliese39StrawberryYogurtlogionInuMiroLoverPreCiiousEllupelluelluQueenSaraphine 11 votes
I neither like the execution and its aim - Its not something I want and the executions has been unsatisfactory
26%
imhappykeekee53Anmirladrake_mccartyCinebarTorieSk8rblazedavina1221GemSixxHarukotyanshaposh2012DecafHighpammiechickSims4MagicalTalesChadSims2Ulfric_GrimbrandBren91lunaoddityNoree_DoreeNorthDakotaGamer 37 votes

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,860 Member
    I like the aim but not the execution - Its something I want but want it done differently
    I would have liked to see an optional feature for all inclusivity content and gameplay instead of adding it through patches. You don't want it. No problem. Opt out.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I'd like to say that I like the aim, but in all honesty I'm not at all sure exactly what the aim truly is. All I've really seen about that are somewhat vague generalities. Perhaps it's necessarily that way because diversity and inclusivity are such complex concepts for a game to try and tackle accurately enough and sensitively enough not to alienate people who feel overlooked or intentionally omitted in representation. The whole topic is highly charged, and possibly too risky a thing to attempt to undertake at such a late stage in a game's life cycle. It's even a difficult topic to discuss, because it's all too easy to have various views interpreted as being "anti-inclusion" or "agenda-pushing" sentiments even if they aren't meant to be. And then we remember why public forums generally don't want people to discuss political matters. As for the execution, I think only time will tell. I do applaud the attempt, at least.
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    I like the execution but not the aim - Its not something I want but I appreciate the efforts
    Sometimes I feel that general gameplay is kinda thrown to the wayside because the aim seems to be checking off a checklist of everything that is inclusive as heck and non-offensive as humanly possible. Now Im fine with whatever they give us, you wont see me rallying against some new diversity feature coming to the game. But, new gameplay features is going to keep my attention longer than making sure that the game is the most woke game that ever woked. Pronouns coming to the sims? Great! But my focus is still going to be having sims do more things.
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    In general I totally support the representation and inclisivity, but I feel that EA really americanized this issue. For example every not-american style world has american touch and due to that I feel that every world is too similar. Mt.Komorebi has too big lots and no representation of tiny Japan apartments, Britechester has the same problem but this time we don't have a british townhouses and what is more we have an american-style university system. Henford on Bagley has another issue. I love the backstories and the representation, but due to fact that we have a lot of totally different townies I lost the feel of a British countryside. The game should be inclusive, but also needs to have a character and a personality.

I also don't like the fact that EA is focused on CAS in 90% to implement the inclusivity, where BB items are also a part of culture. For example, we don't have european windows, kitchen sets (especially build-in), japanise beds (futon), kettles ect.

Finally I'm against to implement paid content into the base game. We have a lot of CC creators if EA doesn't have enough time to make hairstyles, makeup or clothing. Maybe it is better to make a collaboration instead of reimplement a content?
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Inclusivity kinda gives the game more variety. Which allows players to tell more stories that are relevent to them.
    It doesn't change the depth of gameplay, but it certainly gives the surface of things more varied looks.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I feel like the aim for exclusivity is good but the execution of it is slow compared to other AAA companies of being exclusive to all people. I feel like the focus has been too Americanized over the years it has gotten boring. I have yet to see myself represented in the game well with traits, gameplay, culture, religion, height, hair color, and my disability. I do have all my pets represented in the game well. It has gotten better with the game repressing my friends at least but still has yet to represent my multigenerational family too and all our family ties. I see Sims 4 MMO roots both with the files and its CAS focus and point scaling system.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    TBH I find this topic is a bit too broad for me to really have strong feelings one way or another.

In general, I do find it eyeroll worthy when a corporation tries too hard to market off of inclusivity but this is a game where you're meant to simulate life and its diverse aspects - so it makes sense. But there are many things I do feel like it's a bit too late to implement at this point. I'm sure the devs fully intend to keep making content for the game as long as they can, but I'm sure the moment Sims 4 stops making enough money it's going to be dropped like a hot potato--no matter what state it's in.

I really enjoyed the "gender customization and cross-dressing" patch, but to be absolutely honest; the cross dressing (or wearing clothes not made for the frame that it was designed for) is an absolute mess and while initially I gave it a pass cause I felt it was something they could tweak later down the line--but they never did. I adore the idea behind the patch but it's so messy that it's hard to appreciate it. And at times it's straight up annoying because a lot of items have been placed in the wrong fashion tag/category (it fits the style for sure but not the sim's frames) so you can't ignore it completely. That being said, I would never get rid of it--but it definitely needs improving or should've been implimented differently. I'm just not sure how that would be done.

I feel like a lot of the inclusivity focus is centered around CAS mostly cause a lot of the game is centered around CAS (and it is one of its strongest attributes + cheaper/easier to produce regularly then gameplay which is constantly breaking). Which isn't bad, but ultimately the other aspects of the game fall to the wayside because they end up getting neglected.

Ultimately, it's impossible to represent everyone or appeal to everyone, but you try to appeal to as many as you can. What's funny to me cause I personally find this game to be the least US-centric compared to it's past iterations, but there are many people who feel that the game is still too US-centric (which I'm not denying if it is or isn't). People have different views on what is needed in a game and so I feel like it ultimately will boil down to a battle of opinions.

But on a side note, I have to wonder if the model of the Sims' franchise is even realistic/feasible at this point. It's always been a glitchy series but now we're getting broken packs on release or packs break in like 1-2 months after release. I can't help but wonder if it's something that is due to how the Sims 4 is built/complicated code or if it's the "release a pack every couple months" business model that is the source of the problem. Part of me wonders if it would be healthier to have the Sims Store from Sims 3 instead but it's possible that it may not make a difference. Can't say for sure what the answer is, but I hope they figure it out by Sims 5 and are properly prepared this time because it doesn't matter what kind of game they make -- if they can't keep it operable no one is gonna want to play it.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    TBH I find this topic is a bit too broad for me to really have strong feelings one way or another.

In general, I do find it eyeroll worthy when a corporation tries too hard to market off of inclusivity but this is a game where you're meant to simulate life and its diverse aspects - so it makes sense. But there are many things I do feel like it's a bit too late to implement at this point. I'm sure the devs fully intend to keep making content for the game as long as they can, but I'm sure the moment Sims 4 stops making enough money it's going to be dropped like a hot potato--no matter what state it's in.

I really enjoyed the "gender customization and cross-dressing" patch, but to be absolutely honest; the cross dressing (or wearing clothes not made for the frame that it was designed for) is an absolute mess and while initially I gave it a pass cause I felt it was something they could tweak later down the line--but they never did. I adore the idea behind the patch but it's so messy that it's hard to appreciate it. And at times it's straight up annoying because a lot of items have been placed in the wrong fashion tag/category (it fits the style for sure but not the sim's frames) so you can't ignore it completely. That being said, I would never get rid of it--but it definitely needs improving or should've been implimented differently. I'm just not sure how that would be done.

I feel like a lot of the inclusivity focus is centered around CAS mostly cause a lot of the game is centered around CAS (and it is one of its strongest attributes + cheaper/easier to produce regularly then gameplay which is constantly breaking). Which isn't bad, but ultimately the other aspects of the game fall to the wayside because they end up getting neglected.

Ultimately, it's impossible to represent everyone or appeal to everyone, but you try to appeal to as many as you can. What's funny to me cause I personally find this game to be the least US-centric compared to it's past iterations, but there are many people who feel that the game is still too US-centric (which I'm not denying if it is or isn't). People have different views on what is needed in a game and so I feel like it ultimately will boil down to a battle of opinions.

But on a side note, I have to wonder if the model of the Sims' franchise is even realistic/feasible at this point. It's always been a glitchy series but now we're getting broken packs on release or packs break in like 1-2 months after release. I can't help but wonder if it's something that is due to how the Sims 4 is built/complicated code or if it's the "release a pack every couple months" business model that is the source of the problem. Part of me wonders if it would be healthier to have the Sims Store from Sims 3 instead but it's possible that it may not make a difference. Can't say for sure what the answer is, but I hope they figure it out by Sims 5 and are properly prepared this time because it doesn't matter what kind of game they make -- if they can't keep it operable no one is gonna want to play it.

They probably will have a store model with the Sims 5. Sims 4 was originally going to be a MMO until SimCity servers started failing because they were not built strong enough to handle the traffic of the community so they turned SimCity into a mobile game with a store instead. Sims has two mobile store model games out right now with Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile, so if you like that model check those games out and how they push the store especially for limited events.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    A worthy aim, but impossible to accomplish:
    This planet has over a hundred distinct cultures and several hundred people groups. No way can this amount be represented. Simple example: I live in New England, have been to California several times, often for long periods, courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club (US Navy). Both places are in the USA, but in terms of culture they may as well be in different countries. Hawaii is different than both of them.
    Unless someone of a culture/people group is involved with the process and has 'this works, this doesn't' decision making authority mistakes will happen and someone, quite possibly many, will be hurt/offended/disappointed.
    Not every culture/people group is well received by others. It is a sad fact that there are divisions, animosities, and fears that go back for centuries. This is a broken world, which means EA needs to tread carefully. The uproar in the forums a few years ago over some Muslim related content is a case in point.

A good idea, but in attempting to please everybody EA is in danger of pleasing nobody.
  • JokubasJokubas Posts: 100 Member
    I think the aim is great, and the Sims of all games is where this sort of topic is most relevant.

When it comes to execution, I haven't been following the game enough to say whether I think what has been done, has been done well or poorly. Most of the elements I am familiar with I think have been handled fairly well, but there's lots I don't know about or haven't experienced.

What I can say is that this is another reason I want to see a new Sims game, so it can plan for certain things from the beginning. As mentioned, allowing everyone to use all clothing was a great choice. Frankly, a lot of fashion is ambiguous even traditionally so it's nice to put the options in the hands of the player. In a sandboxy game like the Sims especially, I will always say that more options are better pretty much no matter the context. The problem is that, since this wasn't planned from the start, the built-in body shape of some clothing makes them hard to use after all. I think many of these ideas will be perpetually hamstrung as long as they're being hot-glued on after the fact.
  • peachibrewpeachibrew Posts: 3 New Member
    It's a tough question. You certainly won't see me complaining about more diversity. That being said, I feel like a lot could be done better - for instance, why are head coverings like hijabs locked behind a paywall (city living)? It's nice that they're there in the first place, but the fact that you have to buy a 40 dollar pack in order to have a muslim character feels wrong.

When it comes to custom gender settings, I ended up being kind of disappointed. A lot of the clothing items are still unusable, even the ones that have come out after custom genders were implemented. It ended up feeling like a last minute decision that they didn't really follow through on improving or working with. Also, you still can't really make non-binary characters, since the game still assigns your sims as male or female (as far as I've noticed, anyway).

All this rambling to say, I feel like all of the diversity in the Sims 4 feels kind of shallow. I've suspected this from the beginning, but I'm assuming that EA is really only adding all of this "diversity" for brownie points. More diversity ingame is objectively good, and it's not done exactly poorly in the Sims, but I wish they'd put more time into it instead of slapping features on last-minute or locking it behind a paywall and calling a diversity win.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    I think the key to being truly inclusive is to build in flexibility for game customization so people can include what they want in their game without eliminating or de-emphasizing other cultures, lifestyles, or choices. The problem with trying to shoehorn things into the game in the name of celebrating inclusiveness is that one person’s inclusivity can become another person’s exclusivity if their personal choices clash. So, the family player feels de-emphasized when occults are emphasized and vice versa. Gender nonconforming players feel de-emphasized when traditional gender roles are stressed and vice versa. One religion gets “included” but 5 others don’t, marginalizing those players. The games role should be to provide the tools to design your own game to play your way. Allowing a variety of choices across all spectrums prevents getting painted into ideological corners.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,425 Member
    cyncie wrote: »
    I think the key to being truly inclusive is to build in flexibility for game customization so people can include what they want in their game without eliminating or de-emphasizing other cultures, lifestyles, or choices. The problem with trying to shoehorn things into the game in the name of celebrating inclusiveness is that one person’s inclusivity can become another person’s exclusivity if their personal choices clash. So, the family player feels de-emphasized when occults are emphasized and vice versa. Gender nonconforming players feel de-emphasized when traditional gender roles are stressed and vice versa. One religion gets “included” but 5 others don’t, marginalizing those players. The games role should be to provide the tools to design your own game to play your way. Allowing a variety of choices across all spectrums prevents getting painted into ideological corners.

How about simmers who like to play occult families? They exist and I am one of them. The biggest let down in realm of magic for me was the complete lack of magic options for child spellcasters. The opposite of occult gameplay is realism, not family.

I guess this mainly proves that it is impossible to please everyone. So many different people have so many different ways to play.
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I neither like the execution and its aim - Its not something I want and the executions has been unsatisfactory
    I'm still waiting on them to be inclusive to 50% of the world's population where's the tools to create decent male Sims.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    There should be diverse hairstyles, skintones, clothes, objects AND gameplay. It's not really inclusive if it's just about the visuals and so little about the culture. JA had the typical Selvadoradian dance as a new skill. I'ld like to see more of that.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    The truth is I think EA is setting themselves up for failure. I do appreciate the effort but it is a monumental task to take on to try to represent everyone. I don't like the execution so far because I feel like a lot is forced in the game or one group of people gets more attention than others.

Examples

I love the Spanish culture and during Hispanic Heritage month we got all these foods to make, then Christmas we added two more with the coquito and the other food item. During Pride month there was some sort of parade and I think so clothing unless that was before. During black history month we got a shout out to black youtubers like WHAT?!?! Now paid for hairs added to the base game. I would like some soul food this February please and thanks. Where are the shrimp and grits, collard greens, peach cobbler, fried chicken, biscuits and gravy, chicken and waffles, etc

I thought it was a great idea to have the lactose intolerant trait added. Some people thought it was a problem. As I happen to be lactose intolerant, I was pretty happy with it. So now adding a simple allergy is a problem, yet people are asking for disabilities like WHAT?!?! Good luck with the crowd on that one EA.

Christmas delivery I wish would have included another tree that could have been decorated with new decorations and multicolored lights, Hanukkah items and Kwanzaa. I do appreciate the items we got but another example of how things are not equal across the board.

Anyway, I truly believe they are trying, but I feel like Pandora's box has been opened and can never be closed. They are never going to be able to please everyone.
  • cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »

How about simmers who like to play occult families? They exist and I am one of them. The biggest let down in realm of magic for me was the complete lack of magic options for child spellcasters. The opposite of occult gameplay is realism, not family.

I guess this mainly proves that it is impossible to please everyone. So many different people have so many different ways to play.

I was referencing people who prefer family packs to occult packs. My point stands.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,020 Member
    Diversity and inclusion are good things to aspire for, especially in a game like this. Aside from making people feel better, it gives us more content to express ourselves and tell different stories.

My main issue is that it feels like representation is their main priority, over actual gameplay. Diversity is good (and good for publicity), but it shouldn't be the main focus. While I'm sure it's not the case, it feels like the marketing and the game think that's what's most important. But we're here to play a game, not to celebrate diversity. Yes, diversity can be part of gameplay. An aspect, a small aspect, that's usually confined to CAS and BB.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • GrimlyFiendishGrimlyFiendish Posts: 718 Member
    I chose the "I neither like the execution and its aim - Its not something I want and the executions has been unsatisfactory" option, although that isn't necessarily the one I agree with a hundred percent. I do want diversity in my game, I think diversity is something to be celebrated and encouraged. I just don't believe that a capitalist run company, who has a bottom line in terms of profit to deliver, actually cares that much about diversity except in terms of the money it can produce for them.
    Occult Simmer (All Occult All The Time)

Female Simmer from Australia (she/her)

I had one of my Sims marry the Grim Reaper & now they have a lot of kids.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2021
    In my opinion, it's not diversity nor inclusive to most people. It's all been fluff. Or what others call 'visuals'. Gameplay (if we really want to add diversity) would include diverse cultures which in some circles may be considered bigoted and or sexist and or whatever. Not all cultures are accepting to every thing others believe and or practice. And real diversity would reflect all that. That would be diverse to me.

I feel like most of the content doesn't even include the diversity that lives in Maxis' own backyard. And more of a bubble. And I agree with others, I have always felt content should be a choice, and patched content should never be forced on any player if that is not something they want. Diversity of thought is much more important in my world than 'visuals'. A particular hairstyle and or clothing does not make a person but their thoughts and beliefs and practices so I would have liked to have seen more diversity in what makes us all unique.

I wish the focus would return to gameplay rather than identity representation, more traits, more diverse emotions, more individuality.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    The focus on the game should be more on gameplay. My assessment is they keep focusing on the the outwards appearance of diversity. I don't see any diversity in-game, but I do see a bunch of random townies appropriating the appearances of the diverse looks they are attempting to show. That is just by my own observations though, others may not see it in the same way. When playing a save, the way the random townies appear in-game really shows the lack of diversity. I end up creating and importing all my own sims as npc to show the true diversity I need for a particular save.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    My problem with the execution is that it's always narrowly selective, filtered, and unbalanced which leads to actual exclusion and a feeling of disingenuous partiality. It's also one of those things that's never going to be complete. It's the serpent eating its own tail.

That said, I do love all of the cultural additions to CAS and varieties of hair styles, clothing and textures. For the first time in Sims history I was able to make a Sim self without CC and have actually been playing a CC free game for several years because the general CAS selection is beautiful, despite the areas that need some filling in *cough* masculine male designs and body hair *cough*.
    #Team Occult