Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please consider updating Ghosts.

1. Allow ghosts to try for baby and have ghost babies, which are then a ghost toddler, child, teen, etc. In other words, allow players to treat them like full fledged occult beings and play a family of them if they wish too. I realize that child deaths are rare due to possible sensitivity around the issue and have no wish to alter those in ANY WAY. After all, we can cheat that if we want to. I'm talking about a family of adult ghosts being able to enjoy having a family including their children if the player wants to.

2. Please, PLEASE, stop with the autonomy to break everything. Seriously. Talk about ruining an experience. When a beloved legacy ancestor who spent their whole life happy and family orientated, comes back as a ghost and just spends their entire time ruining what they themself worked hard to build, it just makes me question what on earth is supposed to be fun about it? Sure, if a ghost dies of anger or has relevant traits it makes sense.

3. Allow us to make Ghosts in CAS. This, like (1.) is intended to allow players to enjoy playing as this life state without having to kill off sims if they don't wish to.

What other things would players like to see improved with ghosts?

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Although the recent 411 mentioned zombies instead, I do still hope that Ghosts get the Game Pack treatment we have seen for Vampires and Spellcasters. I feel like they have so much unrealized potential.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2021
    I didn't like the ghosts in TS4 because they were just transparent Sims. I think breaking stuff should have been reserved for the Sim who had an angry trait. I can't understand why a ghost would need to eat, sleep, shower etc. In TS3 one of the ghosts was sleeping in a bed. I don't remember if that happens in TS4 or not. But my idea of ghosts are not just any other old Sim that is just transparent. They would be more like the guy in Ghost that couldn't communicate with his girlfriend but needed to help her. Or like in Being Human where only particular Sims would be able to see them but couldn't touch them etc. The whole idea of ghosts in TS3 and TS4 broke my immersion. How can a ghost pick up something when they can't actually hold anything. If some have telepathic powers to be able to move things, ok, but shouldn't that be a skill a ghost gains over time with more practice? Ghosts should be very different than the Invisible Man who is just invisible, in my opinion. If they decided to update them I would ask they update them more in the other direction rather than make them more human.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • GirlFromIpanemaGirlFromIpanema Posts: 843 Member
    I didn't realise how much I wanted the first suggestion until I read it!

I also agree with ghosts breaking things. I have a ghost who breaks my toilet and then takes out my rubbish haha. Random hauntings is one thing, but a family member from the other side should not vandalise their relatives' homes.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited October 2021
    I never play with ghost because I'm so disappointed in them. They should have an option to be invisible. More ways to scare sims and sims should feel creepeed out by them unless they are an occult lover.
    They should not have all those needs. And I they should actually "haunt" houses not clean them up and chit chat.
    I wanted them to really work well with the paranormal pack but they don't ☹ they should be able to be a part of the haunting. Not a transparent sim. Plus I think they should have a Casper style (not friendly) ghost form.
    Maybe have sims be afraid of them in ghost form.
    Haunted noises sounds and music
    Eerie ghost cries.
    Why can't they do any of that?
    Everytime I see a ghost sim I delete out of annoyance lol

Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I also don’t want ghosts breaking my things unless it fits their personality. I love the way you phrased this, OP.

I also don’t want ghosts eating my food - where does it go?? And ghost pets do the same, eating out of a pet food bowl, and I’m pretty sure the ghost cats even use litter boxes. Don’t they have different needs now that they’re dead?

Give them (and living sims) autonomy that reflects their traits, skills, and preferences. If they liked playing piano, have them be attracted to that. If they were Dance Machine (not just any sim), have them turn on music and dance. If they were mean, have them provoke others.

And please take away their cell phones.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    edited October 2021
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I didn't like the ghosts in TS4 because they were just transparent Sims. I think breaking stuff should have been reserved for the Sim who had an angry trait. I can't understand why a ghost would need to eat, sleep, shower etc. In TS3 one of the ghosts was sleeping in a bed. I don't remember if that happens in TS4 or not. But my idea of ghosts are not just any other old Sim that is just transparent. They would be more like the guy in Ghost that couldn't communicate with his girlfriend but needed to help her. Or like in Being Human where only particular Sims would be able to see them but couldn't touch them etc. The whole idea of ghosts in TS3 and TS4 broke my immersion. How can a ghost pick up something when they can't actually hold anything. If some have telepathic powers to be able to move things, ok, but shouldn't that be a skill a ghost gains over time with more practice? Ghosts should be very different than the Invisible Man who is just invisible, in my opinion. If they decided to update them I would ask they update them more in the other direction rather than make them more human.

Good points about how they should differ from live sims and the idea of something like a skill tree for being able to move things is great! I'd like them to differ more from human sims too, it makes no sense to me that they need to eat for example.

@babajayne The autonomy being better would be amazing. I could get behind Grandpa turning up to play violin all night, it might be annoying but it would make sense unlike just wondering round breaking everything. And yes the PHONES!
  • kaiwrysimskaiwrysims Posts: 1,532 Member
    This is my problem with every occult in sims 4. I wish there was a more impactful reaction to a human sim seeing one. They should really be terrified, questioning reality but instead it's just a shocked reaction and then everything is normal. Especially when someone is friends with an occult sim that they thought was human. This should be a big impactful reaction that greatly affects their relationship.

And with ghosts the whole thing with them is that you can't see them. I mean I wish they were invisible to the player too if the sim selected can't see ghosts. And the ability to see them is a hereditary trait. With the exception of children always being able to see them and then grow out of it. Would make having imaginary friends all the more creepy but very interesting.

Imagine just seeing things move or hearing a noise in ur sims house and you nor your sim knows what's happening. Maybe one of your sims is more skeptical and their partner is told there is nothing happening when for them they hear or see things that aren't there. And then this eventually takes a toll on there relationship.
    Check out my twitter and tumblr
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    Would love this! I miss ghost babies so bad. And ghosts shouldn't have to eat, drink, shower, pee etc anymore.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I really, really don't understand why Ghosts needs to eat, sleep, bathe & use the loo. They're Ghosts for goodness sakes, they aren't alive anymore, they don't have a Vampire problem. Plus, there should be a playable Spiritual Realm for the Ghosts to live in. It could have a place for only Good Ghosts to go to & a place for Bad Ghosts to go to. Just a thought.
  • VeeDubVeeDub Posts: 1,862 Member
    I regularly cull ghosts from my saves because I find them entirely useless things that take up space and resources. I can understand why some players want them improved, though. It really does make no sense whatsoever for ghosts to have to do so many things that living sims have to do. But I honestly don't understand why having babies is considered acceptable. Shouldn't that be as unnecessary as pee breaks for the non-living/undead? :lol:
    FYI: Just because you can see my signature, don't assume that I can see yours.
    Because I can't; I keep all sigs turned off. ;)
  • maggiemae8135maggiemae8135 Posts: 790 Member
    I agree with all of you. Ghosts shouldn't have needs but would be fun to have ghosts attempt to get the attention of those they are haunting. And if a family member or someone who had a relationship with the sim during their lifetime, they should be able to act according to that relationship such as haunt/scare them if bad relationship (and break things) or help them if good relationship such as consoling a family member/friend when they are sad. Would add so much gameplay to ghosts! I want my medium that is able to see ghosts to be able to talk to them and help them "towards the light" like in Sims 3 ghostbuster career. I want to be able to create and play ghosts as well. Having a ghost family living in a haunted house, scaring away those they don't like but becoming friendly with others and allowing them to live there would be fun for me!
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    babajayne wrote: »
    I also don’t want ghosts breaking my things unless it fits their personality. I love the way you phrased this, OP.

I also don’t want ghosts eating my food - where does it go?? And ghost pets do the same, eating out of a pet food bowl, and I’m pretty sure the ghost cats even use litter boxes. Don’t they have different needs now that they’re dead?

Give them (and living sims) autonomy that reflects their traits, skills, and preferences. If they liked playing piano, have them be attracted to that. If they were Dance Machine (not just any sim), have them turn on music and dance. If they were mean, have them provoke others.

i think they have needs cause if you want to you have the option to bring them back to life. i do agree with the breaking stuff.
    VeeDub wrote: »
    I regularly cull ghosts from my saves because I find them entirely useless things that take up space and resources. I can understand why some players want them improved, though. It really does make no sense whatsoever for ghosts to have to do so many things that living sims have to do. But I honestly don't understand why having babies is considered acceptable. Shouldn't that be as unnecessary as pee breaks for the non-living/undead? :lol:

The same reason that vampires having children is wanted, occult players are also family players quite often :) Lore and myth does sometimes have to be tweaked to make something work in a game.
    CelSims wrote: »

The same reason that vampires having children is wanted, occult players are also family players quite often :) Lore and myth does sometimes have to be tweaked to make something work in a game.

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to suggest some kind of occult vs. realism issue at work there; I belong in both camps, anyway. :lol: To be more clear, I meant to suggest that, in keeping with the common complaints about ghosts doing "alive-like" things, a better divide between living and non-living sims could (should?) be done by allowing alternate ways for occult life states to acquire or create family members if they're wanted. I personally wouldn't want to play an undead or otherwise non-living creature that has to have babies the same as normal (alive) human-like sims in order to have a family. :)

Fair enough. I wasn't trying to suggest some kind of occult vs. realism issue at work there; I belong in both camps, anyway. :lol: To be more clear, I meant to suggest that, in keeping with the common complaints about ghosts doing "alive-like" things, a better divide between living and non-living sims could (should?) be done by allowing alternate ways for occult life states to acquire or create family members if they're wanted. I personally wouldn't want to play an undead or otherwise non-living creature that has to have babies the same as normal (alive) human-like sims in order to have a family. :)

Like vampires can create other vampires by biting? I think it's a good idea like that, when there is a more accepted by myth way of doing things, absolutely. But I personally would still want all occults to have the option of having a family and 'biological' children even when it goes against what we would expect. Simply because legacy players would need it in order to enjoy playing the different life states to the fullest. I don't see it as a one way or the other option, vampires have both so why not other type of Occults? The more options the better.
    The only alternative for ghosts that I could think of would involve killing off other sims which then gets back to restricting some players options as they don't like to kill them off.

One thing you haven't explicitly mentioned which I think may be a subtext here is, if ghosts did get the needs removed that people think don't make sense, they would be incredibly easy and dare I say become boring, to play? If they didn't need to eat, shower, sleep, pee, they'd be like a sim with all those reward traits. For me they'd require a different need or some thing to compensate and keep my interest.

Like vampires can create other vampires by biting? I think it's a good idea like that, when there is a more accepted by myth way of doing things, absolutely. But I personally would still want all occults to have the option of having a family and 'biological' children even when it goes against what we would expect. Simply because legacy players would need it in order to enjoy playing the different life states to the fullest. I don't see it as a one way or the other option, vampires have both so why not other type of Occults? The more options the better.
    The only alternative for ghosts that I could think of would involve killing off other sims which then gets back to restricting some players options as they don't like to kill them off.

One thing you haven't explicitly mentioned which I think may be a subtext here is, if ghosts did get the needs removed that people think don't make sense, they would be incredibly easy and dare I say become boring, to play? If they didn't need to eat, shower, sleep, pee, they'd be like a sim with all those reward traits. For me they'd require a different need or some thing to compensate and keep my interest.

Yes, vampires creating other vampires is a good example of the type of alternative procreation I meant, although they might need to invent something special for ghost-sims, I don't know. And you're likely right about playable ghosts being too shallow and boring if they simply had live human-like needs removed. They'd pretty much have to have some alternate kinds of needs (I haven't put any real thought into exactly what, though), somewhat like some of the other existing occult types. Even if they were to improve them in such ways I don't know if I'd personally be interested in playing them, but at least I might feel less inclined to delete them without another thought.
  • Ulfric_GrimbrandUlfric_Grimbrand Posts: 681 Member

This x 1000. I even have dead Sims I've sent to the netherworld that call. Irritating.
  • LJKLJK Posts: 257 Member

Yes, vampires creating other vampires is a good example of the type of alternative procreation I meant, although they might need to invent something special for ghost-sims, I don't know. And you're likely right about playable ghosts being too shallow and boring if they simply had live human-like needs removed. They'd pretty much have to have some alternate kinds of needs (I haven't put any real thought into exactly what, though), somewhat like some of the other existing occult types. Even if they were to improve them in such ways I don't know if I'd personally be interested in playing them, but at least I might feel less inclined to delete them without another thought.

Ghosts could require "sleep" by needing to return to their graves every once in a while or some such. They should keep the socialization and fun needs as well. However, I feel like there should be some kind of fun punishment for playing a Ghost because, well, they're dead. That would usually imply that the player didn't do a good job of taking care of the Sim. Dunno what, though.
  • randy2355randy2355 Posts: 157 Member
    edited October 2021

I agree about the phones, BUT IF, they gotta have phones, then at least let other sims call them...one of my sims was friends dating a ghost....he got calls from the ghost, but he couldn't call the ghost!
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Yes, I agree with almost everything in this thread! Ghosts need some serious improvements! They should have a few basic ghost powers and then maybe one really cool power related to their death. I'd also love to see a Death Realm, even if it's a secret lot where only Ghosts can go.
    #Team Occult
  • haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited November 2021
    randy2355 wrote: »

I agree about the phones, BUT IF, they gotta have phones, then at least let other sims call them...one of my sims was friends dating a ghost....he got calls from the ghost, but he couldn't call the ghost!

Yeah it's tricky that you can't invite ghosts anywhere by phone. I created a club to be able to get a couple of ghosts on my sim's lot when I need them and it has worked fine :smile:

I love this thread! I really want updated ghosts :blush: Also @KyreRoen had cool ideas for ghosts' perk system in their Occult Thoughts and Ramblings thread.
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    I’m going to quote from a post I created last year.
    Other than alien, mer-sim, plant-sim, and ghost, I think the life states in The Sims 4 are quite detailed and well-done. Here, I have some suggestions on how ghosts can be re-worked to appear full-fledged and logical.

Needs
    Ghosts shouldn’t have as many needs as regular sims. In my opinion, a ghost would only have Fun and Social needs. Other need-based actions should only be taken because of their death types, which brings us to the next point;

Actions / Animations
    Ghosts perform need-based actions such as eating, sleeping, or showers because of how they passed away. For example, a sim died from starvation would find something to eat when they appear, but the food would not affect the ghost in any way (See: Appearances). Moreover, ghosts would actively avoid or receive strong negative moodlets when exposed in certain situations, based on their death types. For instance, a drowned sim would avoid going into a pool or open water, and would get a +5 Tense (now that we have Fear, that’s also a great choice) moodlet when they do so.

Right now, ghosts would still route with doors in mind. I think ghost should use a direct-point method for routing since they can pass through solid materials. Their animations can also use some fine-tuning, as they still present the running and stair-walking animations like regular sims. I would suggest ghosts use the floating animation at all times when moving, only difference is their speed.

Appearances
    Since ghosts are no longer regular sims, I think their appearances should be locked-in as the day they passed. They should not become fat or lean because of over-eating or exercising. As the food pile is a base game debug object now, I believe it is the perfect time that eating or drinking anything for a ghost should create a food pile or puddle on the floor.

What do you think? Add onto the tread if you have more ideas for this life state!
    Other than alien, mer-sim, plant-sim, and ghost, I think the life states in The Sims 4 are quite detailed and well-done. Here, I have some suggestions on how ghosts can be re-worked to appear full-fledged and logical.

Needs
    Ghosts shouldn’t have as many needs as regular sims. In my opinion, a ghost would only have Fun and Social needs. Other need-based actions should only be taken because of their death types, which brings us to the next point;

Actions / Animations
    Ghosts perform need-based actions such as eating, sleeping, or showers because of how they passed away. For example, a sim died from starvation would find something to eat when they appear, but the food would not affect the ghost in any way (See: Appearances). Moreover, ghosts would actively avoid or receive strong negative moodlets when exposed in certain situations, based on their death types. For instance, a drowned sim would avoid going into a pool or open water, and would get a +5 Tense (now that we have Fear, that’s also a great choice) moodlet when they do so.

Right now, ghosts would still route with doors in mind. I think ghost should use a direct-point method for routing since they can pass through solid materials. Their animations can also use some fine-tuning, as they still present the running and stair-walking animations like regular sims. I would suggest ghosts use the floating animation at all times when moving, only difference is their speed.

Appearances
    Since ghosts are no longer regular sims, I think their appearances should be locked-in as the day they passed. They should not become fat or lean because of over-eating or exercising. As the food pile is a base game debug object now, I believe it is the perfect time that eating or drinking anything for a ghost should create a food pile or puddle on the floor.

What do you think? Add onto the tread if you have more ideas for this life state!

I love everything you suggested here. I like the suggestion to lock the appearance when they die, but how would that effect CAS created or child ghosts, (assuming they ever let us treat them as a separate occult life state)?
  • ArrojacastArrojacast Posts: 24 Member
    *nods in agreement with OP*
    I think you could still give ghosts needs, but they would be more like vampire needs than normal sim needs.
    Social, fun, ethereal energy, and maybe one or two others?
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member

Needs

Actions / Animations

Appearances

I love your suggestions. Really I wish for a ghost overhaul more than a baby overhaul! :D The main thing is their needs - those just don't seem right, but a special ability such as the drain energy with murphy bed ghosts would also be super to have for all ghosts. Even better if it was based on how they died. Having babies or being able to create ghosts in CAS are not something I would do, but to each their own, I don't see why these limitations couldn't be lifted while updating ghosts.