Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you actually play multiple Sims and multiple households in this game?

In The Sims 2, you may direct the Sim to the telephone and call for a taxi. The taxi will come and pick up the Sim. As your Sim leaves the lot, the residential lot will be saved. Even the exact time will be saved. Your Sim will then do stuff on the community lots, but the amount of time passing on the community lot does not matter at all. Then, when the Sim comes home, the Sim will come home at EXACTLY the same time as the last saved point. A very helpful and realistic mod would be the Community Time Project mod. Instead of coming home at the default time, your Sim's time on the community lot will be counted and recorded. Then, when the residential lot loads up, the player will receive a notification that the Sim will come home at a certain time. In the meantime, you can play with the other family members, or if there is no one there, you can allow the time to speed up until the Sim comes home.

In The Sims 3, time progresses forward for all Sims in the world. You can set commands for each Sim in the household, and the Sims will do them, step by step. If one Sim is in a rabbithole, studying in school, then you can switch to another Sim and check out what that Sim is doing - all in one open world.

From what I can tell in the Sims 4, the gameplay feels very similar to the Sims 3. However, in the Sims 4, it may feel much more limiting in scope. You can actually command your Sim to skill, but you are not really sure what exactly they are skilling or if they are skilling in something related for their own careers and school or something completely random.

As of now, I am not entirely sure how to play multiple Sims in the Sims 4. In my last save file, I just have 2 Sims in a household, and if they want to go to places, I have to make sure that both Sims have the energy to travel. Otherwise, I skip the traveling, and I let both Sims stay at home and do stuff at home.

So, on one side, the gameplay does feel like The Sims 3, and on the other side, it really doesn't.

Comments

• Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    edited July 2021
    Sims 3 & Sims 4 are like apples & oranges.
    With Sims 3, you get open worlds, color wheel/textures plus Fairies/Genies/Werewolves, Lunar Moon & so forth.
    With Sims 4, you can actually build like crazy, Gallery, better Aliens/Mermaids/Witches/Vampires, way more worlds, way more cheat codes & can muliplate the environment & weather of you worlds.
    Plus, you can make your own Hybrids with the occults.

As for multiplay, it's not that hard to go from one household to play with & the other, just select manage world & you're back on the map to select another household or even another world.
    You can even have multiple Game Saves. I have 6 on the go for my different timelines.
    Basically, Sims 4 has alot of potential & with the new devs they are finally letting the game grow regardless of what's still missing. We will probably eventually see that.

You are smart for waiting this long to begin your Sims 4 experience. My daughter & I made the mistake of starting in year one back in 2014 when it was an empty game. Our reasons was because Sims 3 kept freezing up every 30 seconds & couldn't hold the 20 packs. :s Sims 4 has over 40 packs & still holding. :p However, my advice is don't ever get any mods or mccs, just play vanilla & remember to clean out your cache & tray files & select repairs after patches or packs. And have fun. :p
  • Options
    Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    I play nearly exclusively in full households and can confirm that, unless this is a university run, you can spend as little or as much time micromanaging as you like. I do not tend to completely ignore any one Sim, but I always have one that is my primary focus that gets priority. The rest get attention as comfortabley given.

Plus the autonomy works fairly decently and there is not much danger in 4. Death is quite a rare occurrence for me, especially for Sims in my household. (I think I have encountered some bugged deaths of neighbor Sims lately, but that is a completely different thing.) I had to fight fire so much more in previous entries (though most times I have a fire in 4 it is bugged and therefore devastating). So just ignore who you want when you need to.

If anything, rather than hard, it is just annoying to have things like active careers to keep up with, too. If I remember correctly you still have to follow them to work to get your promotion, at least with the GTW ones, and I just consider it a hassle to be limited. Also, multiple households are rotational for me. I never liked story progression of any sort, so that has always been what I have done.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    edited July 2021
    I don't really understand the question :sweat_smile:

but basically I just jump to whatever household/sim i feel like playing and is important to my story at the moment

kind of like how if you were writing a book not every character in the book is present at all times they all have their own storylines and scenes and outside of those they just exist in silence on the background but time passes for all of them

when playing a scene with multiple households i must then decide whos perspective it is from and control that household or merge households to control more sims
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    I don't play multiple households, but I play multiple sims in the same household, with all of the sims in the household being special. For me to enjoy the Sims 4, I have to approach the game differently from the Sims 2 and 3, so I take advantage of the Sims 4's instantaneous travel.

I have my sims travel to other lots often (almost every sim day) based on the goals I set for each one and their schedules/the calendar. Generally, though, when the children are at school, I travel with the older sims/their parents, so mom and dad can run errands, go on dates, etc. Other times, I'll simply leave some sims to chill at home. The game isn't so fast-paced that I feel the need to have every sim be productive at every second. But if I were feeling that way, I wouldn't hesitate to extend their lifespans to long.
  • Options
    MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited August 2021
    So I rotate between about 85 sims in one of my saves. It’s about 24 households

5 of those houses are my main House Holds, the families that my story revolves around, the rest are more or less either extended family members or supporting characters that my sims interact with… more or less on a daily basis.

To help with family play, I actually make family Clubs, like House Hoggarth is my Large family of 8 sims, the mom and dad and six kids, so I had the mom establish the House as a Club, and added her children and the family activities include eating bathing and sleeping and then the last two club activities are tailored to the type of family they are.
    For social I said be friendly toward certain Houses
    And don’t be mean towards certain houses. And then the last is participating in summer activities.
    They like to farm, garden, Cook, Bake, and they’re also a Family of knights, Trying to develop Knighthood more, right now it's just looking like a medieval College Fraternity.

While the other Family like House Charmont their club consists of a family of 4 sims. And Same thing Eat, bathe, sleep, I wanted Magic to be their club activity, but it’s chaos. So books telling stories and music is their favorite way to spend family and leisure time.

If I’m taking one sim out, I really just want them to live so I leave it on “Care for Self” while I’m away with a sim.
    Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I have about 400 Sims that I randomly play. Sometimes I play a household where more than one Sim has an active career. Then I just take turns going to work with them. And if there is another household member who does not have an active career, I also take a turn sending the active workers to work without following them there so that I can spend time with the member who doesn't have an active career.

If you leave a household member behind, that member will still care for themselves at home.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I play multiple households and multiple sims. I travel with the sims I want and leave the rest home. It's not a problem for me and I prefer it this way compared to TS2 where it was like time didn't pass at all. I understand TS4 way doing this might feel weird at first, but once you get used to it there's nothing stopping you from playing multiple sims/households :)
  • Options
    EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,342 Member
    I miss the way time was handled in Sims 2 and will probably never really get over the fact that when I leave household A at sunday, then play household B until wednesday, it will suddenly be wednesday in household A, too, despite me not having played them. Or that with Seasons sims will be sad from having "missed" a holiday.

Sims 4's and 3's time shenanigans are part of the reason why I play with aging off. That way I can take my Sims 4 sims to community lots without paying for the trip with the lifetime of the sims that stayed at home.

My Sims 2 neighborhood feels very organized, with at the moment 8 households. One rotation equals one season.

In contrast my Sims 4 main save consists of ~played 170 sims, but only five main households. There is no system behind when I switch between households other than that sometimes I need to catch the Starlight Accolades on a sunday.

In Sims 3 I've given up on rotational play. The few times I play it, I keep to a single household.
  • Options
    mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,882 Member
    Sounds like the question is how to manage multiple sims in the same household while they're on different lots.

The idea is that one sim is your priority at the moment, the one you're actively playing, and you're right that you can't be very specific about what you ask the other sims back at home to do. But you can switch back and forth. Like if you want a sim to go to the park with their friend Miki and bond, but you don't need to direct their whole conversation, you can take that sim to the park with Miki and then switch back to a sim who is at home. Then click on the icon by the sim who's at the park and click "Socialize with... Miki" and they will build their friendship without you while you play the sims at home. You can bring the sim at the park back home anytime.
  • Options
    HavenRoseHavenRose Posts: 323 Member
    Another option may be renovating your community lots to be more multipurpose, or at least adding additional skill items so the rest of the household has things to do if you want someone to go out for a specific purpose. For example, maybe you can add some some play items or activity tables for kids out at a library so the kids can burn off some energy while other family members do library things.
  • Options
    JyotaiJyotai Posts: 505 Member
    I turn off aging and other things on played houses, and then every time I load up Sims 4 I just flip around the map until there's a household I want to 'look in on' and do something with.

I keep my active households pretty small. Even when I've had as many as 3 sims in them I've found it a burden to get to one before they ran off and lit the house on fire... ;)

My townie households end up becoming large communes thanks to MCCC and having autonomous move in and marriage all on, and when I household ends up getting put together I look it over and either edit the fashions of the townies or delete that one and let MCCC put another in there. I've flipped on nearly every autonomous setting I could find, and gave it settings to build the kinds of 'world activity' I want.
    - This gives me some minor control over the 'background cast' without micro-managing them.
    I don't use Discord because it doesn't support multiple accounts and I don't need folks at work wondering what I'm doing even on my own time. Until Discord catches up with every single other voice / video conferencing system, I limit where I use it:
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,565 Member
    edited July 2021
    I enjoy full households, myself. I play with autonomy on, always. Then I can focus on the Sim I need to, without the others being completely neglected. I will pause my game in order to queue up tasks for the others in the household. When kids come home from school, I will cheat up their needs using Make Happy, then open up the inventory on a Sim, click on the school book and have them do homework. I go in succession for each school aged Sim, getting them all started on this task. For the ones that work for a living, I will set them up to do their daily tasks. Later, I make sure all have completed what is required. For my would-be celebrity (whom I have managed to restart so many times I've lost count) I make him finish his school work before he either attends a photoshoot, or gives a concert, or goes down to the Studios to cut enough songs for an album. I use the Road to Fame mod so I can have my Rock Star once again. This was about the ONLY thing I truly missed from Sims3. But, now I've got what I believe (for me) is the best of both worlds.

As for Rotation style, the only time I've really employed that is in my Ancestral game save. Then it was to go back and forth, when I realized a child was to be born to make sure the family isn't missing anyone. I've also found that I prefer to play John and Sarah Jane more than any of the others. With Cottage Living, just trying to keep both households' crops and animals up, I've had to resort to a daily back and forth routine. Making sure they all get up very, very early to care for the animals and others in the household see to the upkeep of the crops. Then, I switch to the second household to do the same. It's crazy, but will stop, except for those needed babies once John and Sarah Jane get married. Mostly, I'll stick to their household. Since I use MCCC, I can pre-determine the gender of each child, I can click on a Sim and make her pregnant, then force her into labor so as to not spend too much time over there. It is what it is, but I have fun.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I play rotationally between many households in different worlds within the same save based mainly on my interest. Over time, I have some new generations of characters that interact with other sims in the world. It is one of the reasons that I am really flexible about pre-mades. They might get involved with my sims but I kind of have my own thing going. However, I don't judge anyone else wanting to play with any others so I'm open minded about all of the new pre-mades. Some of mine might connect with the new ones but I basically do my own thing.

In TS4, I like being able to customize aging in the settings and to manage my own story progression. Generally applying story progression to all but one household would not work for me. I do have my own concept for the passage of time which is that the calendar shifts continually but I am seeing snapshots of each household. Time is passing but it is a bit gradually. At some point I'll be likely to switch on aging for a bunch of unplayables. Not all of my sims will reproduce especially any more awkward born-in-game sims.

As for what I do on different lots, I actually tend to send a household together to a given lot to do activities together. If they go bowling, they all go bowling or they all go to the gym, park or pool. Sometimes I might leave one at home which isn't a big deal for me. I am more likely to turn off aging in that case so that the sim I am not playing is not "penalized" but it just depends. I don't actually think that much about it.

I tend to play a whole group of sims. If a sim lives alone then obviously I just focus on that sim. Most of them end up in families. I usually like them to do whatever the activity is together or to be on the same lot. Most of my lots do have different things to do and I edit community lots to have more features or meet more needs. If I have toddlers then I need to take them into account but sometimes the parents just send them to daycare and have a day out.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • Options
    BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited July 2021
    No idea how people are rotating 100's of sims🤣🤣
    But rotational play in ts4 is fenomenal. I like to bond with my families so I only rotate between 3 households. I'm not entirely sure what your question is but you can easily use the household manager to swap sims in and out of households. All of the ones I mark as my favorite do not progress (as far as I know. Maybe minor things?) so I don't worry about what they are doing when I'm not playing them. I prefer to have total control. So for example if I want sims from two different house holds of mine to go out, I swap sim 1 into sims 2 household and have them go out that way. When the outing is over and it's time to go home I swap them back.

All of my familes are max households. It's easy to manage but only because I use mccomand mod to slow down time and sims needs to my liking. It gives me freedom and time to do things I enjoy instead of fighting against the clock
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Yeah, I have the exact same issue you do. I use a mod to increase the skilling, but there's just no way to leave a sim at home and have them be productive, which is unfortunate. The Sims 4 is incapable of managing more than one lot at a time, and since time keeps going for the entire world, I just accept that I cannot leave one sim upgrading appliances at home while the other goes out.

But if it's just one sim not having energy, you can still leave them at home and set them to take care of their needs. I believe (though I'm not sure, because again I use a mod) that you can tell your sim at home to sleep. I know you can tell them to take care of their needs. Not being able to do anything more with the away sim is the issue I have.
  • Options
    ArcaArca Posts: 183 Member
    I'm playing all households in all worlds
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Lol, it looks like most people who answered didn't actually read the original post, just the title.

But, yes, it is frustrating to visit another lot with part of your household and not be able to leave the ones at home completing whatever you queue up for them.

I have learned to adapt my play to take this into account.

I tend to take the whole household on trips, unless I'm not too fussed about the ones left behind. Occasionally I leave some, but being careful not to do this at night/late evening as it messes up their sleep patterns and energy levels. It's not good to return from a nightclub at 3 am and find your kids still up and about!

I will usually make sure to arrange things for them to do on the trip. So, for instance, if I have a family where the dad wants to go to the gym, I might have a pool there for the others to enjoy. Or mum might take along her guitar or easel to occupy herself and the kids could take toys/a book or do their homework.
  • Options
    Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    While I do check on all my families, my main focus always shifts to the first family of the newest generation.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited July 2021
    TS4 was easy to play multiple Sims in one household. I stopped playing one or two Sims years ago. First, unlike TS3, if you are playing multiple Sims in a household in TS4, you will have to pick a favorite or it can become overwhelming. But it was easier to play many Sims in one house in TS4 because you can take them along with your Sim, leave them on one community lot and continue to play a fav Sim and take them somewhere else or back home. Leaving anyone else on a community lot somewhere. I don't know if this is still true but it was for the first three or four years of this game. The Sim or Sims left on a different community lot would eventually come home on their own.

This was an easy way to play several at a time since yes, you wanted one or two to go with your Sim but not necessarily return home at the same time for whatever privacy reason your Sim wants to do things somewhere else and or at home. It was an easy way to get them out of the house and stay gone for awhile. And we could always click the panel to make them come back home or switch to them easily. The only thing is TS4 isn't as detailed as TS3 or even TS2 and so the Sims we could 'drop off' somewhere else may not continue to do whatever you left doing (if on a community lot) and therefore on their own to do or meet anyone without your control. This is true in Ts3, too, however if you left one somewhere to switch to another they usually were still doing whatever you commanded them to do when you went back to them. Or grabbed them to send them home..or in TS3 they may run back home without your consent. In TS4, they don't but would return home eventually.

In TS4, it was easy to play multiple households but I never stuck to a week or a season or a time line of when to rotate, like others, it was like a book or movie in my head. I jumped around to see what was happening or what a Sim was thinking in a different household like scenes in a play or movie and or whatever tickled my fancy to go do with other Sims. I did not like the time continuing though, because I didn't like that in TS3, either. SP is not my thing, I like to witness what happens to my Sims like babies born in game and not getting named before I have a chance to get back to them. Things like that really bothered me in TS4 with it's type of story progression. Or giving my Sims a romantic partner I had actually never seen in the game....no.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    KimmerKimmer Posts: 2,382 Member
    I have troubles of playing with several households rotationally in the same save because of the gardening. Almost all my Sims have gardens and Seasons made it difficult because if I have several households to play and I make the current family that I play plant seasonal crops, for example spring crops, and then I play the other households it will be completely another season when I come back to play that household. I will often end up with crops not growing and there is not much progress. The crops are going to be dormant and I have to plant new seasonal crops and then they don't have time to progress either. It's impossible to make a living with gardening.
    Gardening is one of my favorite things to do in Sims 4, so it's a huge annoyance. It's one of the reasons I'm not the biggest fan of Seasons. I have few saves in which I do play rotationally but mostly I have just one played household per save and I rotate between them, it saves me from losing my nerves.

There are also other annoyances for playing rotationally in the same save. If I want to keep the age of my Sims and their friends in sync I have to keep aging off and do it manually because the Sims that I don't currently play will age too fast. I hate it because I want to play, not fiddle with every Sims birthdays. I know I can have only active household age but then I have to always play every household the same amount of time and I don't like it, too much stress and "rules".
    Also what to do with unplayed households then? My households can have mutual premade or randomly generated Sims as friends and if I keep the aging off or on with them they will either age up too fast or don't age up at all. :/
    It's too much of a hassle and stress for me, so I only keep these kind of saves very limited and usually only play with families that have children who have moved out (only 2-3 different households per save) and I keep the aging on long lifespan for all Sims. I only play with Maxis Sims in the same save with a lot of Sims rotationally because none of them are actually my Sims and the gameplay is more chaos like anyway.
  • Options
    TARDISgradeTARDISgrade Posts: 193 Member
    edited July 2021
    I have different saves. Each save is a separate "story". In some of these saves/stories there's only a single Sim or single family I play, and if there are others Sims I created, they're just to be interacted with by the main cast, but I never take direct control of them after I have created and 'fixed' them (skills, career, etc).

In other saves, the story is more complex and involves different families that I play rotationally. In one such stories I have a large community of spellcasters with an intricate family tree due to intermarriage between the different families across generations. Eventually I succeeded in having two children who can boast direct descent from all the ancient founding families.
    I've also just started a new save with different families in HoB. These families all all somewhat connected because they are relatives, inlaws or friends. They all live in HoB and occupy all the residential lots (I evicted all the pre-made Sims). The idea was to create a close-knitted village community. There isn't a single main character or main family, but I play all of them equally.
    Post edited by TARDISgrade on
    Feel free to download content from My Gallery
  • Options
    rudolpharudolpha Posts: 998 Member
    As others have noted you get used to focusing on one sim at a time. When all sims in a family are home you can get them all to do different things, but sometimes you just want to take one sim out somewhere on their own, as a break and mostly the others just manage OK to take care of themselves. I have many saves and do rotate but find 3 families per save is my max, as otherwise it's hard to achieve goals because I keep aging on, even though use long life.