Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

That Thing About Computers... (Last Sim on Earth Challenge)

The Rules are as follows thanks to @VexingQuery for this challenge.
"That Thing About Computers..."

Apocalypse - 1980 (10 years previous) - full on global nuclear war

One of three computer chip failures at NORAD in 1980 led to a false alarm causing the Americans to launch their missiles at the Soviet Union. Retaliation involved over 75000 nuclear warheads being launched. The resulting detonations caused a worldwide nuclear winter which decimated the entire population of Earth resulting in only one human being left on the planet whose main goal now is to bring back humanity.

Current Time: 1990

It has been 10 years since the apocalypse - the nuclear war that decimated our planet and well we had to live with nuclear winter for years afterwards with the radioactive soot circling the planet. The skies have cleared but the UV radiation has made life above ground hard for people to survive. During the day our exposure to the sunlight increases our cancer risk to the point where we suffer burns if we stay out too long in the sun. This makes living above ground impossible. So far I have seen no living thing other than furtive animals in the ruins of what used to be Sunset Valley.
Screenshot-127_nuke3.png
Life isn't great, but I'm making do with what I have. Which isn't much. I've dug a small hole in the ground where I've made do. It's a place to go during the midday when the UV rays are strongest. It makes things tough when I can't gather between 10 o'clock in the morning and 3 in the afternoon, but what else can you do? It's either that or suffer and die. Eventually we will get to the point where genetically we can resist the sun's rays, but until then, we're vulnerable.
Screenshot-20.jpg

I was 10 when the bombs fell, I'm 20 now. All my friends are dead and I would have been too if I hadn't been away up in the mountains on a sole getaway from society for a while - as a former boy-scout, I was well-versed on survival on my own. So I missed the devastation of my home-town and now I'm the only one that remains. There is no-one here other than me and the ghosts of the people I once knew.

In the movies and books I read about the post-apocalypse, people go crazy when they learn that they are the sole survivor in a world in which they are now forever alone. Being alone since the age of ten has served to make me grow up faster than I ever wanted to, but the alternative was to starve and die.
Screenshot-21.jpg
The tree growth in 10 years has been nothing short of astounding and the simple fact that there are trees growing in this devastation gives me hope that things can come back from the nuclear holocaust that took place.

Until then, I have only myself and the fact that I haven't met any survivors let alone anyone dead or alive to try to help bring our town of Sunset Valley back to life.

Author's Note:

I've used NRAAS Register to disable immigration and empty the service pools so no unnecessary NPCs spawning in the game when I don't want anyone un-necessary wandering around in my save. Technically, the only NPCs allowed to spawn are aliens.

The map is Les Sims 3 - Sunset Died by SimCookie and well, unfortunately there really is no graveyard per se. So my choice is out of five ghosts. only ONE of which is female which makes for a very limited genepool. The other option is using the science station to create clones.

I've limited my gathering times to between 3:59PM and 9:59AM which makes it tough for my sim to gather food. This is going to shape up to be a tough one. Of course, I had to pick the world WITHOUT a functioning graveyard. :D
GYZ6Ak9.png
Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~

Comments

• Options
    Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,427 Member
    That Thing About Computers

Chapter Two: The Continuation of My Day
    Week 1 Day 1 (Cont)

The bunker that I'm located in is small with a decontamination area for a shower and toilet and the sink inside the main unit which has a kitchen area, fridge and stove. I decided to loot an appliance store to get the best fridge and stove (thank goodness for me being the last sim on earth there...as legal ramifications would have happened if I had tried to do that before the bombs had fallen) because the last thing I needed when I was learning to cook was something being set on fire; not a good thing when you're underground. Rapidly being starved of oxygen and getting toasted is not a good way to go.
    Screenshot-23.jpg
    Screenshot-22.jpg
    When my bed got put in there, I realized that it was an extremely tight fit.
    Screenshot-24.jpg
    I also picked up a potion table and a science station as the science center had been blown to smithereens. Evidently it was on the target list and the one megaton blast had damaged the facility enough that it had collapsed, killing all the scientists inside. And frankly the science station would save my life since I wasn't able to go above ground between 9AM and 5PM when the UV rays were intense enough to cause burns. Which in any case has also made me wonder about how much UV damage plant can sustain, when they are stuck out in the intense bombardment of ultraviolet B rays which causes the most skin damage to humans. I'm sure that it does the same amount of damage to the plant.
    Screenshot-25.jpg
    One of the first things I did was start to work on potions since I knew that one of the potions was for sleep which allowed me to gain a full eight hours of sleep in half the amount of time. That time was essential because what I could do underground was make certain to get my skills up to the point where I could either clone myself or others if I ran across survivors...or even more so get myself more quality foodstuffs by increasing the quality of my food ensuring good health.
    Screenshot-26.jpg
    After a few setbacks and having potions blow up on me and having to repeatedly shower (thank goodness for a water recycling system) I achieved the potion I wanted, a sleep potion. Then since it was seven hours to sun-up, I decided to go out and get some food so that I wouldn't starve to death.
    Screenshot-28.jpg
    Screenshot-30.jpg
    Screenshot-31.jpg
    Screenshot-33.jpg
    Then it was time to hit the hay which ended my first day...of trying to survivve long enough to bring back civilization. I don't know how to count this, but well...it seems like today was the tipping point whereas prior to this was just survival for myself. But I'm tired of being alone and need someone to talk to other than myself and whatever animals I come across if they're not panicked enough to run from me. What I'm wishing for is human companionship and I can only hope that I'm successful in my task.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~