Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adding to a Sims' student loan debt

kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
edited January 2023 in Mods & CC Technical Discussions
I've created a mod that allows Sims to take out bank loans, but I'm lacking a way to make them pay them off.
So I thought I'd use Discover University's student loan system, since the mechanics for paying off the loan never actually call them *student* loans. It's always just "loans", as seen here:

The-Sims%E2%84%A2-4-2019-11-15-12_22_12-PM.png

I've tried various different loot actions to add to my Sims' debt, but it never seems to actually recognize it, and the option to pay off the debt at a mailbox never appears. I've poked around in the xml and I've found "loot_Statistic_Loans_Set10000," a debug loot action, which should be pretty straightforward, being a debug cheat, but it doesn't appear to do anything. Here's my version:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<I c="LootActions" i="action" m="interactions.utils.loot" n="abutt_Statistic_Loans_Set1100" s="12738263602864831381">
<L n="loot_actions">
<V t="statistics">
<V n="statistics" t="statistic_change">
<U n="statistic_change">
<T n="amount">1100</T>
<T n="stat">223186<!--Statistic: statistic_Debt--></T>
<L n="subject">
<E>Object</E>
</L>
</U>
</V>
</V>
</L>
</I>

I've set the debt statistic to the amount I want, so what do I need to do to get the game to acknowledge the debt?
wJbomAo.png
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    @SimGuruModSquad please help, I don't understand how student debts are activated; I add to statistic_debt (which should be the statistic that well, handles, um, debt, and it doesn't do anything)
    wJbomAo.png
  • TwelfthDoctor1TwelfthDoctor1 Posts: 31 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    I've created a mod that allows Sims to take out bank loans, but I'm lacking a way to make them pay them off.
    So I thought I'd use Discover University's student loan system, since the mechanics for paying off the loan never actually call them *student* loans. It's always just "loans", as seen here:

I've tried various different loot actions to add to my Sims' debt, but it never seems to actually recognize it, and the option to pay off the debt at a mailbox never appears. I've poked around in the xml and I've found "loot_Statistic_Loans_Set10000," a debug loot action, which should be pretty straightforward, being a debug cheat, but it doesn't appear to do anything. Here's my version:
    <I c="LootActions" i="action" m="interactions.utils.loot" n="abutt_Statistic_Loans_Set1100" s="12738263602864831381">
    <L n="loot_actions">
    <V t="statistics">
    <U n="statistic_change">
    <T n="amount">1100</T>
    <L n="subject">
    <E>Object</E>
    </L>
    </U>
    </V>
    </V>
    </L>
    </I>

I've set the debt statistic to the amount I want, so what do I need to do to get the game to acknowledge the debt?

There is a loans command that you could try but it will require the AllCheats mod to use it. Its sims.take_out_loan (Sim ID) (Loan Amount) (loan_type: use 1 or LoanType.UNIVERSITY).

Also check your interaction. Sometimes it can go wrong there.
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

<L n="loot_actions">
    <V t="statistics">
    <U n="statistic_change">
    <T n="amount">1100</T>
    <L n="subject">
    <E>Object</E>
    </L>
    </U>
    </V>
    </V>
    </L>
    </I>

There is a loans command that you could try but it will require the AllCheats mod to use it. Its sims.take_out_loan (Sim ID) (Loan Amount) (loan_type: use 1 or LoanType.UNIVERSITY).

Also check your interaction. Sometimes it can go wrong there.

Well, the interaction itself is based on the Parenthood volunteer interactions: the Sim goes off-lot, comes back with loot.
    In Parenthood the loot is character values, in mine it's Simoleons and debt. The Simoleon gain works perfectly, so I'm quite confused that the debt doesn't tbh.

This is the mod in progress: https://chii.modthesims.info/getfile.php?file=2015059

I'd also prefer not to rely on other mods to make this work. Gaining debt is a Maxis-made mechanic, so there must be a way to call it, surely? Otherwise how does Discover University do it?
    wJbomAo.png
    Bumperoonie
    wJbomAo.png
    Bumping again, just in case
    Looks like I might need to abandon this idea. I've reached out to various modders directly, and been ignored every time. :(
    wJbomAo.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top