Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Tired of being babysit by a game.

Comments

• sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Nikkih wrote: »
    I was thinking about this recently, why is everything offensive those days ?, why has everything to be tip toed around ?, shall we just wrap the next generation is bubble wrap because everything could be seen as offensive because someone is a overthinker, why is some people reading too much into a game rather than enjoying it, I even saw a comment of someone thinking the erratic trait is offensive because the icon is a straitjacket

I was literally just coming here to post the exact same thing. And like you, @CelSims I too struggle with mental health issues. My anxiety is so bad, I can't drive, work, cook or otherwise do anything to take care of myself on my own and I've been going to therapy since 2017, but have only made minimal progress. And in addition to anxiety, I have depression as well, which thankfully isn't AS severe, but it still affects me in my day to day life.

And I also personally don't see anything offensive about about the icon for erratic. It's just an icon.

I'm glad yous both agree with me about this, I have social anxiety and I lost one of my friends to mental health issues, what some people don't understand is if people keep reading too much into a game although their hearts are in the right place, they could end up ruining it @MeowchaFrappe @CelSims

Oh no, I totally agree with you. I don't think people have bad intentions when bringing this stuff up. But you're right, if people keep reading too much into everything, it very well could end up ruining it. I'm a person who tends to overthink too, so I can understand why it happens, but as discussed here time and time again: almost anything could be offensive if you think hard enough on it. So where do you draw the line?

I don't know, it's difficult. I feel that we should respect that people feel very differently regarding different subjects, but we should also not let people who feel too strongly about something dictate what should be allowed or not.

So when this comes to what should be included in the game I think we should give people options, right now it feels like the sims4 is struggling to be both a sandbox(dollhouse) and a life simulation game with consequences.

Oh yeah, we should defintely respect them for sure. I agree with that entirely, but I do think some people blow certain things out of proportion (and this is coming from a pro at overthinking. :lol: ) options would defintely be a nice thing, even if it's just a different "mode" of some sort, but I don't know if it's something that would be added or not. So like, what route do you go with? People who actually want a life simulation game (which is what Sims4 is supposed to be) or the dollhouse building crowd?
    And thus is why it's difficult to please everyone in the video game industry, and the devs at Maxis know this. Because no matter what they release for the game. There's always going to be someone who's not happy with it.
  • BitterBubblyBitterBubbly Posts: 70 Member
    > @CelSims said:
    > As some one who has struggled with mental health my entire life I'd like to say to that person - thanks for caring, truly. But it really doesn't upset or offend me in any way that the portrait is a straitjacket. My mental health issues did not rob me of my sense of humour. I'd infact be perfectly happy for erratic to have it's old name, 'insane' back. The best cure for many ills is the ability to laugh.

^ This...and me, too. (Depression, anxiety, OCD, PTSD, etc.) I also appreciate the fact that people care and are trying to do what they can to reduce the stigma that surrounds it because the stigma does need to be eliminated...but I'm in no way offended by the trait OR the straightjacket icon. In fact, I gave my SimSelf the "Erratic" trait and find it hilarious to sit here and watch myself talk to myself sometimes. :D

I often share screenshots and stories with my best friend, and she cracks up about how true to life my SimSelf really is BECAUSE of that trait, in pretty much every possible way - actions, facial expressions, quirks - all of it.

One of my favorite in-game memories is actually tied to that trait. I was watching my virtual family sitting around the dining room table one evening, people were talking, helping the kids with their homework, etc...and I thought, "What a lovely family moment we're all having!" So I switched to my SimSelf to see what was in HER queue.

Action = "Talk to Self"

I DIED. :D Roger that, then. Everyone ELSE is having a lovely family moment. I'm just sitting here chattin' it up with me, myself, and I and having a grand ol' time. This is fine. :D

In the game, I spent my the majority of my virtual son's wedding having what was evidently a very fascinating conversation with a candle.

In real life, I often ask if straightjackets come in black.

It's cute how people think I'm kidding. Haha! :P

Humor is one of the best coping strategies there is. Being able to laugh at oneself is an essential life skill. :)

Also, the best way to reduce stigma about something is NOT to avoid it, but to embrace it and normalize it. Having a sense of humor helps make that possible. :)
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Erratic trait is one of my favorites too. I deal with depression with having a chronic disability. Why dealing with the negative stigma has been a struggle with discussions. I have mine treated, but the "just be happy" mindset is far more offensive that what people accused the trait of being . I did make a self Sim of my sister who is also a Simmer with some of the traits in the game including erratic which she got offended by so yes be careful when making family members because they can take the game as personal. As a spoonie I like the lazy trait to represent the limited energy I have during the day. My sister and I are polar opposites of each other including how we play the Sims games. My brother and I play more similar so he doesn't get offended by the traits either.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,141 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Erratic trait is one of my favorites too. I deal with depression with having a chronic disability. Why dealing with the negative stigma has been a struggle with discussions. I have mine treated, but the "just be happy" mindset is far more offensive that what people accused the trait of being .

Well, I'm not in this club directly, I had only suffered almost on a burn-out (well my energy is still quite low and sometime I have no power to to what I should do), but I feel the same about the "just be happy" mindset" and I like the trait erratic, I us it very often, next to the loner trait and neat trait.

When I have played the law career in sims, I had my flashbacks from the job events, where the sim worked in the registry and be blamed for missing files and be yelled for something the sim didn't do. The same happened to me for a long time until I got out of the registry. Therefore I was so happy for my sim when the sim got finally promoted. I didn't started a riot in due of this topic, because that's happened to many people in reality, everywhere and anytime around the world. It's something what is considered as "normal" (although it shouldn't be normal imho). For me it was more intrusive, because I had no influence when this job event happens, than something where the player can decide to this or not to do this. However I don't want this job event out of the game. I believe it prepares or warns players how the job reality really is, it is not the happy sunshine life some players wish for themselves.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    I did make a self Sim of my sister who is also a Simmer with some of the traits in the game including erratic which she got offended by so yes be careful when making family members because they can take the game as personal.

Yeah its pretty good that only real human i try to create in some form in my game would be me or like evil alternate universe me that ain't boring potato and actually has life

my sister would surely have issues with me giving her mean-slob-hotheaded combo but I mean :lol: its the truth tho :innocent:
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member

The straitjacket is getting complaints too? Oh dear...

Now...I’m the last person to protest against icon and name changes due to aspects of them triggering people with mental health issues. I’ve never been officially diagnosed with anything mental health related, but I find it quite interesting to read comments by those who do suffer from anxiety, depression etc. and can still see the humor in it all within the context of The Sims. Thanks for sharing.
    I do believe it is important that people realize in which context these things are used. The Sims of all games.

I’ve been called “insane” and “possessed” on a daily basis by colleagues who I used to work with at a certain animation studio, because that’s how colleagues treat ya in the creative environment and we’re all just having a laugh.

I’m not surprised how the now called erratic trait was initially developed, visualized and named by devs without giving it a second thought. The Hates Children and the ability to make some nooboos while dazed dito.

Believe me, it comes from a completely harmless place because it’s a fun, crazy but tough business after all and there’s a tendency to forget about the “real” world, especially when working with humor & cartoons. Because that’s what the Sims franchise truly is. A simulated cartoon of life. Folks tend to forget.

The reason I was called insane is because very much like the sims in game, I actually tend to talk to myself and to my projects when I’m in “the zone”, no matter where I am. “Possessed” because I do it in all kind of different voices. In a odd way it keeps me sane and boosts the creative process.
    Then I got introduced to a new colleague whom I had to supervise. Dude got the desk right next to me and he did the exact same thing!
    At least everyone else thought we were just talking to each other, except... we were not. 😂

Does it mean that folks calling us insane were actually offending people with mental health issues? I sure hope not.
    I never thought about it once... 😬

• amaniaaaamaniaaa Posts: 58 Member
    Agree 100% - I have nothing to add other than that, you said everything that needed to be heard and now I hope everyone sees this, including EA, Maxis as well as "game-changers".
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    This year I will have 27th birthday. It means that I play The Sims since TS1 and I remember my expieriences from TS1 and TS2. I stopped playing TS on TS3 base game and after years I started to play The Sims again in 2020. I have TS4 on console and TS3 on PC. I noticed that every TS generation is more utopian and childish. I was a kid when I was playing TS1. I hade no problem with dramiatic themes, dancing cages, hot date, stripp dancers ect. Thats why that game was soo jucy and fun. Hot Date expansion, really was Hot. After that I was plaing TS2 as a teen (early teen). I noticed that EA totally removed the concept of romacne. The successor of HoT Date was Nightlife expansion I guess. The Sims 2 was revolutionaly but more focused on family life and storrytelling. Our Sims could no longer "woohoo" whithout clothes, with a kissing sounds ect. Sims could no longer has a dancing cages and stripp dancers on party. Weird calls and dramatic sounds for robbery and fire were totally cancelled. But our sims recived "chemistry" mechanic. After TS2 we received TS3. I still don't feel enough good to share my experience, but I see that that game was more focused on exploration, carieer and sim development. Vacation was no longer just a breake for our sims, expansions was more focus on another experiences than just a sife simulation. For example, Supernaturals, Ambition, Into The Future. Finally we received The Sims 4. This game is a step on totally different direction. I assume that the popularity of social media affect to the fact how game looks like. The Sims 1 was made when the Internet was no such popular as today, The Sims 2 was created later, with more popular internet, but no social media (I still remember The Sims forums). The Sims 3 was made a little later, but the social media have just become popular. The Sims 4 is developing when the internet is extremally common, social media have a huge impact to the world, everything has their own rating, and any of company don't want to be controversial because they afraid that the people will left them. The good site of social media is fact that we can finally can express ourselves and show the minorities, but wrong site is fact that it is extremally easy to hate something or offend something or someone. Internet i global this days. The fact that some behaviors are common in one part of the world they can be totally unpopular or not understanded in another part of the world. The Sims community is international and it is hard for EA to create the game for everyone. The game should be ridicously generic because as I said, it is easy to offend someone and EA don't want to have bad PR. (as you saw Snowy Escape controversy). If someone feelt offended by TS1, she/he couldn't share own experience on social media; by TS2 she/he could send a private email or message on forum; by TS3 she/he could send a post on his/her own wall on facebook; by TS4 he/she can start whole (sometimes hate) movement. I think that the social media is one of the reasons why TS4 looks like that. People should distance themselves from this. TS4 is just a game.

Somtimes I also feel omitted, because my culture has 0 representation in TS4 and central european skintones and hair colors still not exist in CAS, but as I said, I can express my thoughts on the forum, but I have no problem with that. TS4 is just a game for me. I really want to have more jucy content than the representation of Poland and our lovly neighbors as Czechia, Slovaka, Lithuania, Ukraine and the rest. Maybe it is just my european point of view, but I feel that in Europe we have a greater distance to that things because we have a lot of different cultures around our small continent and European Union (EU motto is: United in diversity).
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I saw that comment about the straightjacket icon in the 411 thread and I did roll my eyes and think 'not again?'

I have suffered from mental health issues for years and am still on anxiety and depression meds, but I really do wonder how anyone could have been offended by the insane trait or the straight-jacket icon. I was gutted when they changed insane to erratic.

My family loved an old tv series called Taking Over The Asylum, in which they used to chant 'we are loonies and we are proud' and it became our family motto :D

I find it hilarious that the insane sims talk to themselves etc. The sims needs its humour.
    Simmingal wrote: »
    I did make a self Sim of my sister who is also a Simmer with some of the traits in the game including erratic which she got offended by so yes be careful when making family members because they can take the game as personal.

Yeah its pretty good that only real human i try to create in some form in my game would be me or like evil alternate universe me that ain't boring potato and actually has life

my sister would surely have issues with me giving her mean-slob-hotheaded combo but I mean :lol: its the truth tho :innocent:
    Yeah you figured out my combo. I just remember playing a Gaiaonline game with her and she scared everyone. She deals with bipolar which wasn't easy on her. She is married with two kids now so doing much better. Sims was one of the few things she couldn't take away from me growing up. I do hope mental health does get not taboo to talk about and represented in games more. The Gurus were playing Apex and was neat seeing one of the characters Horizon have PTSD from the lost of her son. Nice to see newer EA games represent people more at least.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited May 2021
    Mstybl95 wrote: »
    I was thinking about this recently, why is everything offensive those days ?, why has everything to be tip toed around ?, shall we just wrap the next generation is bubble wrap because everything could be seen as offensive because someone is a overthinker, why is some people reading too much into a game rather than enjoying it, I even saw a comment of someone thinking the erratic trait is offensive because the icon is a straitjacket

On the one hand, people are trying to destigmatize certain things. I'm talking stuff like racial/gender injustices, knocking down stereotypes, equality, etc. I commend people for standing up for others. It's an important task and I wish more people would do it.

But, on the other hand, it can go too far. Comedians, for example, push boundaries...that's their job. And if 10 years ago it was ok to make fun of certain things, but it's not ok today, you shouldn't take what the comedian said 10 years ago and apply it today. It's most likely that the comedian hasn't said anything like that in recent years. It's gotten so toxic that comedian routines are pretty lame now.

I do think people mean well. I don't think they understand the difference between real life and a satirical video game about life.

I agree with your full post, I do think it's great that we're evolving being open with our sexualities, less racism ( we still need to get more better with those 2) to be none discrimination and people are more open about their mental health which is how it should be, but in my personal opinion people shouldn't let something that isn't real offend them, it's not real so why is it important, games and films are entertainment not education, there's actually been controversy with Disneys snow white recently, I'm like come on people it's a cartoon that's been around since the 1930s, why is it controversial now
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    @Sthenastia you're absolutelly right. Fear of being cancelled is driving the decisions in sims 4.

Like you said there's so much people with social media access nowadays and it's so easy to make a case of anything...

Ea should understand what other companies have understood by now: feedback must be analyzed. Separate what is meaningfull from what isn't.

If they keep having quick unthoughted reactions like this one (they've decided to take out the trait improvement the day after someone ranted) they will destroy the game.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Sims are characters in our stories, And just like characters in a movie, play or audio drama, we need them to be able to make poor decisions, have bad things happen to them, triumph and fail. No one tells script writers they can't portray these things and we should be able to also.
    edited May 2021
    CelSims wrote: »
    Sims are characters in our stories, And just like characters in a movie, play or audio drama, we need them to be able to make poor decisions, have bad things happen to them, triumph and fail. No one tells script writers they can't portray these things and we should be able to also.
    So very true! I'm a writer myself and no one tells me how I must have my characters behave and what they should do in my short stories. What a character does and behaves in a fabled stories is up to the writer of that stories and no one else. That would be like telling someone how he or she must play their sandbox game. It's down right rude when someone does that. It's okay to give advice on how to go about doing something in a game. But to tell someone how they must play their sandbox game, no. Wrong and very rude!
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »
    So very true! I'm a writer myself and no one tells me how I must have my characters behave and what they should do in my short stories. What a character does and behaves in a fabled stories is up to the writer of that stories and no one else. That would be like telling someone how he or she must play their sandbox game. It's down right rude when someone does that. It's okay to give advice on how to go about doing something in a game. But to tell someone how they must play their sandbox game, no. Wrong and very rude!

Sims 4 has limited sandbox qualities now compared to the older versions and looking at how EA/Maxis and some players are now wanting to connect the Sims to RL which for me is not in line on how the Sims came about and they have strayed to far from the formula and I do agree with you.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    THIS so much! Completely agree, because a good story has to have some sort of struggle or conflict or there is not story.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Unfortunately getting offended over straitjacket is nothing new. Overwatch had a similar problem when they introduced a skin that clearly takes inspiration from hanibal lecter, but of course people tried to get it removed because they deemed it 'offensive' to people with mental problems.

As the old saying goes 'same s... different day'
  • NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Flexono1 wrote: »
    Unfortunately getting offended over straitjacket is nothing new. Overwatch had a similar problem when they introduced a skin that clearly takes inspiration from hanibal lecter, but of course people tried to get it removed because they deemed it 'offensive' to people with mental problems.

As the old saying goes 'same s... different day'

Why is everyone soo serious those days ?, life is a temporary state, people need to stop overthinking things that aren't important and enjoy life
  • SthenastiaSthenastia Posts: 651 Member
    Do you know what is a problem for me? TS community tell that TS4 has a lot of gaps in representation aspects and has no drama, but the same community emphasize how TS2 was good and has a problem with a small jucy (but controversial) aspects. I want to remind that TS2 has only 4 skintones and haircolors, hairstyles were weird, you had only 2 bodytypes and totally no representatnion of trans/nonbinary people ect. What about the controversial aspects, you can burn and torture sims, but the possibility to have a child with a sim with the trait "don't like children" when that sim is drunk is controversial. But honestly for me it was a good change. In real life people do stupid things when they are drunk. If someone has a problem with that, that person can just not choose that trait or not try for baby with dazed sim. I totally do not understand why the peaople are so tense, sensitive and are looking for controversy and problems. Game is just a game. In real life where we can experience a lot of pain, we can appreciate posotive things more.

In another way, on this forum people tell that GTAV is amazing. I don't want to thing what that people would have said if some of that things existed in TS4.
    Sims 2 University was a ton of fun. Back when running around in pixels was a funny thing and now with the Sims 4 that same content is taken as offensive. I miss that dark humor in the Sims 4 and sadly potty humor is the only accepted humor with the Sims 4 and even with that humor, it is censored to baby level.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    What about the controversial aspects, you can burn and torture sims, but the possibility to have a child with a sim with the trait "don't like children" when that sim is drunk is controversial. But honestly for me it was a good change. In real life people do stupid things when they are drunk. If someone has a problem with that, that person can just not choose that trait or not try for baby with dazed sim.
    This SO much!

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,869 Member
    He isn't the Sim Supply anymore. He changed his channel name to James Turner,

Haha, I loved when he was Sim Supply , so hilarious TS 2 lets plays :D

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    edited May 2021
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    sunman502 wrote: »

Sims 4 has limited sandbox qualities now compared to the older versions and looking at how EA/Maxis and some players are now wanting to connect the Sims to RL which for me is not in line on how the Sims came about and they have strayed to far from the formula and I do agree with you.
    Oh yeah for certain! Even Conan Exiles has limited sandbox qualities. I agree with you on that, there is a fine line between reality and fantasy. From a writer's perspective, when you as the writer/creator cross that line from fantasy to reality the line becomes blurred. And then you can't tell the difference between what is real and what is fantasy. So all in all, a writer or dev of a video game must never cross that line. If you do cross that line even though you meant it to be fantasy. People are going to see that and think that this is real when it's actually meant to be fantasy.
    Post edited by sunman502 on
  • telemwilltelemwill Posts: 1,752 Member
    James Turner still does Let's Plays. I just watched the latest in his Three Brothers series.

Claire Siobhan is doing a series on the Not So Berry challenge which is also very entertaining.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top