Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

40% Is Not A Good Sign in a General Pack

Comments

• SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,660 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The idea that these small packs have big possibilities is absolutely laughable. A rather mediocre athletics CAS Kit doesn't exactly add anything exciting when we have so much gymwear already. My Barn House functioned fine with any other kind of Kitchen Kit, this country kit doesn't STAND OUT, it FITS IN. And dust? They call DUSTING exciting? Especially considering you have to stand in one place and just move the hoover around a bit for an hour. The most exciting thing is the dust bunnies hunting for treasure, they're the ones having the adventure, and most of the time you're going to sell it anyway.

You clearly don't like either of the kits, and that's fine but why are you so angry about it? Can't you just wait for a next pack that you might like more? I did not like the starwars pack so I did not get it. I didn't want the snowy escape either, so I skipped that one, too. But I love the packs I did buy because I liked those ideas, and I'm enjoying my game very much. PS: I think this is the first time I mentioned I didn't like SW and SE, why on earth should I waste energy on complaining? There are simmers loving both SW and SE - and busting dusting. Good for them, I'll just wait for the next, no problem.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    EA should care less about making money and more about the reputation of their games.

People may keep spending money on these packs, but that's only because they're the only life simulation on the market. But every time EA pulls another sleazy money grab, the reputation of their games gets lower. It got lower with My First Pet Stuff, Journey to Batuu, the 20th Anniversary, and of course with Kits.
    What if a viable rival game competes with the Sims (like Paralives)? The Sims brand will have such a low reputation that everyone will flock to the rival game and abandon the Sims completely. Why on earth would customers support Maxis and EA after treating them so poorly for years?

Ultimately, The Sims series will fail. They've dug their graves. After treating their customers like trash for years, no one really supports EA or Maxis anymore. And other companies are watching and are ready to steal their customer base.

It's poetic justice. They treat us like garbage for years, we leave their game and support their competitors.

I think problem is that ppl buy everything EA throws at them. If not liking something, don't buy it, and EA will understand and perhaps change. If we are meh about something it doesn't help much when we first buy it anyway and then dislike it.

I agree people shouldn't buy everything, and especially not buy things they don't want.

What I'm specifically referring to, however, is that even though people are buying these packs, that doesn't mean they actually like or trust the brand/ company. And that's because EA has proven time and time again that they are untrustworthy and not consumer friendly. I would say the majority of customers don't actually like EA or even Maxis at this point, and they only buy these packs because it's the only thing around.
    When a new simulation game comes out as a competitor, no one will support EA. I know I certainly won't.

So, in the long run, having an extremely low reputation with players is detrimental, because fans won't support them. And it will cost them financially, when another game comes out and does better than the Sims.

A perfectly good example of this is cities skylines, when Sim City had the advantage and all reason to succeed because of its fan base, they migrated to Cities Skylines
    A real distinction must be stressed between “anger” and that of frustration with rightful cause due to issues with a game and it’s handling of releases. If we dismiss all valid criticism as “anger” or “negativity” it would be foolish. It’s what brought us gameplay aspects such as pools, toddlers and skintones and hopefully future things the community overwhelming agrees it wants.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    EA should care less about making money and more about the reputation of their games.

People may keep spending money on these packs, but that's only because they're the only life simulation on the market. But every time EA pulls another sleazy money grab, the reputation of their games gets lower. It got lower with My First Pet Stuff, Journey to Batuu, the 20th Anniversary, and of course with Kits.
    What if a viable rival game competes with the Sims (like Paralives)? The Sims brand will have such a low reputation that everyone will flock to the rival game and abandon the Sims completely. Why on earth would customers support Maxis and EA after treating them so poorly for years?

Ultimately, The Sims series will fail. They've dug their graves. After treating their customers like trash for years, no one really supports EA or Maxis anymore. And other companies are watching and are ready to steal their customer base.

It's poetic justice. They treat us like garbage for years, we leave their game and support their competitors.

I think problem is that ppl buy everything EA throws at them. If not liking something, don't buy it, and EA will understand and perhaps change. If we are meh about something it doesn't help much when we first buy it anyway and then dislike it.

I agree people shouldn't buy everything, and especially not buy things they don't want.

What I'm specifically referring to, however, is that even though people are buying these packs, that doesn't mean they actually like or trust the brand/ company. And that's because EA has proven time and time again that they are untrustworthy and not consumer friendly. I would say the majority of customers don't actually like EA or even Maxis at this point, and they only buy these packs because it's the only thing around.
    When a new simulation game comes out as a competitor, no one will support EA. I know I certainly won't.

So, in the long run, having an extremely low reputation with players is detrimental, because fans won't support them. And it will cost them financially, when another game comes out and does better than the Sims.

A perfectly good example of this is cities skylines, when Sim City had the advantage and all reason to succeed because of its fan base, they migrated to Cities Skylines

Exactly! EA doesn't think any other studios can do it, but they can. And I think it's coming soon. I wouldn't be surprised if Paradox is making a Sims style game right now.
    I'd rather support Paradox than EA any day...
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member

If a competitor comes along and everyone flocks to that franchise, that's on EA/Maxis. Let them dig their own grave and move on. EA, the devs, and the shareholders are not your friends. They don't care if you have been playing this game since you were 8 years old and hold some type of sentimental value to it to try and keep it going. The reality is some people will always support it no matter what, some won't. If TS5 ends up being something I hate, I'll continue to play TS4 and check out other life simulators. I would never spend this much time and energy on a gaming franchise when there's plenty of games out there to enjoy.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member

If a competitor comes along and everyone flocks to that franchise, that's on EA/Maxis. Let them dig their own grave and move on. EA, the devs, and the shareholders are not your friends. They don't care if you have been playing this game since you were 8 years old and hold some type of sentimental value to it to try and keep it going. The reality is some people will always support it no matter what, some won't. If TS5 ends up being something I hate, I'll continue to play TS4 and check out other life simulators. I would never spend this much time and energy on a gaming franchise when there's plenty of games out there to enjoy.

That's what I'm saying though. The Sims team/ EA are indeed burying this game's grave, by continually lowering it's reputation and quality. And I personally think Sims 5 will be no better, since EA does not care about Sims players at all, as they've shown with the Sims 4 time and time again.
    edited March 2021
    It's more complicated than calling this just another gaming franchise when there is literally no other competitor on the market currently that is like it. There's new Simulator games released every day, some more realistic than the sims in some aspects such as Ranch Simulator which was just created with the Unreal Engine. However, the Sims draws people because of the unique core gameplay features not prevalent in other life simulators such as animal crossing or stardew valley. People don't naturally want to give up on a gaming franchise they invest hundreds of dollars into. They would do what they could to save it, even if it means putting energy into venting their grievances or voicing their concerns and even if they put in "a little more time and energy" it's not wrong. But sadly, some people have simply decided that this game may never get better.
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    I don't care if only 1% like it as long as I like it. Maybe many of you don't remember this, but at one time, you went to the store and bought stuff, taking an absolute risk as to whether you will like it or not. It is good to see reviews and all but sometimes they can be misleading. People who are mad about other things giving bad reviews regardless of whether they actually like the pack or not just to make the company feel bad or make other players feel bad. This works in reverse of course, with people leaving good reviews for the same reason. My suggestion is to read the description, consider the price point and make decisions based on your own likes and dislikes. Stop dwelling on other peoples' opinions.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Hearing other people's opinions is something extremely valuable, not just in video games. It offers a different perspective on things and can open your eyes to certain things you might have not thought off.

Watching reviews good or bad doesn't mean you are being brainwashed.
    I see a lot of people saying "oh I don't watch reviews because I like to make my own decisions". To me that is something I don't agree with because I believe that hearing someone out before making your decision doesn't suddenly make you unable to think on your own. It simply offers extra insight on things you might haven't even thought of.

So in my opinion if you want to hear people's reviews and see things through different perspectives before deciding whether to purchase or not is highly beneficial and not counter-productive.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • eternalrainneternalrainn Posts: 373 Member
    It's more complicated than calling this just another gaming franchise when there is literally no other competitor on the market currently that is like it. There's new Simulator games released every day, some more realistic than the sims in some aspects such as Ranch Simulator which was just created with the Unreal Engine. However, the Sims draws people because of the unique core gameplay features not prevalent in other life simulators such as animal crossing or stardew valley. People don't naturally want to give up on a gaming franchise they invest hundreds of dollars into. They would do what they could to save it, even if it means putting energy into venting their grievances or voicing their concerns and even if they put in "a little more time and energy" it's not wrong. But sadly, some people have simply decided that this game may never get better.

There's life simulation games in development now so who knows, maybe ya'll will find a game like The Sims that you can enjoy again.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    I don't watch Simmers on Youtube and never have. I don't use Twitter. I'm sure there's a fair number of people like me who you're unlikely to hear from unless they come into a thread like this.
    I don't use CC in my game, so my answer would never be that I prefer to get something from a modder. I haven't used CC since Sims 2, and I didn't use CC until years after EA dropped support.

I see kits as akin to the Sims 2 store sets, so maybe that's why I'm not bothered one way or the other. I may buy them at some point on sale, I may not. If they have bugs, then I understand people's frustration, they have a right to complain. But people who are just mad that they exist should take a look back at what we've had before.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    But wait.....guys....we’ve been through this “dislikes” thing in another thread....

Did nobody notice?? 😱

It’s like I let myself get s.u.c.k.e.d straight into a Kafka novel...

😂😂😂😂 I thought it was just me
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    What I'm specifically referring to, however, is that even though people are buying these packs, that doesn't mean they actually like or trust the brand/ company.

you know, it's sentences like this that really confuse me sometimes...
    umm...I do not care about the brand/company/whatever, I have no feelings towards Maxis/EA, I enjoy playing some of their games including the Sims franchise but that is it.
    I would never feel personally betraid or threatend by anything they do, but it often seems to me that some simmers are?
    dont know if that is actually happening or just the way it seems....so no offence.
    But when you talk about trust regarding a company and also saying stuff like "they shouldnt be so much about the sales", it just seems very naive to me, that is not how business works.
    Anything they would do and have done is about the sales in the end, that is just how it is.
    IF another lifesimulator actually comes out that can compete with the sims, it will impact their sales which is what they will react too.
    They will not react to a twitter outrage or YT dislikes unless it actually threatens their sales or is already making those drop.
    And that on its own is neither good nor bad and certainly not personal.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I actually think the OP gives Maxis too much credit.

The ice cream maker didn’t come with Movie Hangout Stuff.
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    But people who are just mad that they exist should take a look back at what we've had before.

@lisamwitt In general I agree with you but I also feel like we have never had DLC in this way in any Sims game before. We've never had four different types of DLC in any game before and we also never had soooo much DLC for each of these types before.
    I feel like the stuff packs were the equivalent of the store but then what are the Kits supposed to be?

The Sims 4 is the first game to have so many different types of DLC but also so much DLC in general. Really it's crazy how much it has become over the years and we have never had anything similar.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,094 Member
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    But people who are just mad that they exist should take a look back at what we've had before.

@lisamwitt In general I agree with you but I also feel like we have never had DLC in this way in any Sims game before. We've never had four different types of DLC in any game before and we also never had soooo much DLC for each of these types before.
    I feel like the stuff packs were the equivalent of the store but then what are the Kits supposed to be?

The Sims 4 is the first game to have so many different types of DLC but also so much DLC in general. Really it's crazy how much it has become over the years and we have never had anything similar.

Really, the only thing that's new is gamepacks. We had everything else before.
    I think it's the gamepacks that contribute to feeling like they are nickel and diming us to death. If they'd kept just EP's and SP's and everything that went into gamepacks was divided into those, they would feel more satisfying. But dividing content into yet another pack type just makes everything feel too small, too broken up. So even though we basically had kits before, it just adds another layer to that for a lot of people. I get it.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    @lisamwitt Or maybe also the fact that we now have 40 pieces of DLC makes it feel like they are milking this game to death. Especially because for some reason the game still feels incomplete. That's an achievement right there.
  • GordyGordy Posts: 3,019 Member
    Especially because for some reason the game still feels incomplete.
    Well, we all know the reason. 💅 Lack of dragons.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
    If they release a Sims 4 version of Roaring Heights, I'll shut up, be happy, and leave them alone tbh.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    you know, it's sentences like this that really confuse me sometimes...
    umm...I do not care about the brand/company/whatever, I have no feelings towards Maxis/EA, I enjoy playing some of their games including the Sims franchise but that is it.
    I would never feel personally betraid or threatend by anything they do, but it often seems to me that some simmers are?
    dont know if that is actually happening or just the way it seems....so no offence.
    But when you talk about trust regarding a company and also saying stuff like "they shouldnt be so much about the sales", it just seems very naive to me, that is not how business works.
    Anything they would do and have done is about the sales in the end, that is just how it is.
    IF another lifesimulator actually comes out that can compete with the sims, it will impact their sales which is what they will react too.
    They will not react to a twitter outrage or YT dislikes unless it actually threatens their sales or is already making those drop.
    And that on its own is neither good nor bad and certainly not personal.
    Tbh, this outlook confuses me. Everything being about sales leads to some pretty horrific stuff, historically. I'd go into detail, but it's probably too "controversial" for discussion here.

The idea that it's ok and/or expected for businesses to do whatever in the pursuit of sales and that's "just how it is" is bizarre. Would it be ok to break into people's homes and threaten them until they buy the product cause it's just about sales??? This might sound over-the-top absurd, but it's not far off from what a protection racket is. I'm trying to avoid getting too gritty here.

It's strange to me to try to detach from the details of what a business does and justify it on the basis that that's "just what businesses do." Human beings don't have to have businesses in the first place. It's something people made up.

Things made up by people are never "just how they are." They're a few (often fragile) steps removed from being something very different, or not being at all.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    I think people are tired of the milking and just want EA to focus entirely on the 5th game's development.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member

I do hope that players that are disappointed will still play the sims but also try other games that are popular like Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Valheim instead of buying these kits but also share why they don't like them. I think that's for the best.

It's also more fun to be a gamer if you have more games to look forward to and watch and play.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    SamDenny wrote: »
    I think people are tired of the milking and just want EA to focus entirely on the 5th game's development.

5th game will be more of the same, they might even introduce the kits from the very beginning so people will look forward to them.
    logion wrote: »

I do hope that players that are disappointed will still play the sims but also try other games that are popular like Animal Crossing, Stardew Valley and Valheim instead of buying these kits but also share why they don't like them. I think that's for the best.

It's also more fun to be a gamer if you have more games to look forward to and watch and play.

Excuse me, when I sold my life away to the Sims I didn't know other games were allowed. Is this the video game equivalent of cheating on your partner?
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    logion wrote: »

Excuse me, when I sold my life away to the Sims I didn't know other games were allowed. Is this the video game equivalent of cheating on your partner?

Heh, I sometimes find it difficult to play something else than the sims sometimes. I think that's where a bit of the anger from the community comes from, you know? because they have a hard time enjoying something else.