Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

40% Is Not A Good Sign in a General Pack

LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
This is bad. This is really bad. I mean, a whole 40%? 6,600 vs 8,700 likes to dislikes, and keeping in mind that all three kits are advertised in one trailer. That's about 43% of people who actually have something positive to say about Kits. That sounds... well, bad, but it also could be worse, right? I mean, it's so vague in its appeal, so it is going to appeal to lots of people anyway. Right? Oh, 90s fashion! It gives me the chills! I've been waiting I've been waiting 25 years to see it again!

Er, not exactly. Compare this to the much earlier Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, another rather vague kit. Not the most fascinating pack with popcorn machines and ice-cream makers, but the designs were colourful and the size of the tvs were certainly fun. It has 15,000 likes to 400 dislikes.

Go back to My First Pet. Oh good lord, it has 1,600 likes to 800 dislikes. That's awful, it really is awful that so few people cared about that pack - and yet still, more people liked it than did dislike it. Pets can be a little bit niche, I guess.

Moving on though, to the Paranormal Stuff Pack. I think the most recent pack IS worth looking at. Because for being the most recent Stuff pack, it has 54,000 vs 5,200 likes to dislikes. Paranormal Stuff Pack has a 91% LIKE RATIO, despite being a Supernatural Pack and by its very nature is a niche pack.

I think people are trying to tell you something, EA.
Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
Post edited by Loanet on

Comments

• Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    Didn't they delete or hide the original MFPS video? The only video I could find for it is the video promoting its console release last year.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options
    SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2021
    What doesn't help is that many people who did purchase a kit are reporting bugs and a general unhappiness with the dust system. In several gamechangers videos, they received the pack the same day they were available for purchase, so I am not sure if perhaps it was rushed too soon without thorough playthrough testing? It's not a great look especially with the general unsatisfaction with the game by a sizeable portion of the Simming community.
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    edited March 2021
    Talking about on youtube?

Thing is the likes and dislikes aren't completely accurate not to mention they don't make up the whole majority of the community. Heck there's people that just dislikes the trailers just for not liking S4 in general. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Fair enough all things considering for some to many.

Those numbers aren't even super terrible compared to the Like and dislike ratio for Bantuu. (54k dislikes? :# Probably the one pack that has the most dislikes thus far and was pretty much snubbed more than any pack since MFPS. That one definitely had almost a complete unanimous vote. ) Think some are still waiting on what other small kit packs via like S3 store will be coming out to see what they come up with and choices in themes. As far as the internet goes, I'm mostly hearing yay and nay on the kit packs thus far be it price or current themes chosen.

Sale numbers will always speak in volumes for sure even when it looks like they wouldn't be that great due to dislikes.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    The idea that these small packs have big possibilities is absolutely laughable. A rather mediocre athletics CAS Kit doesn't exactly add anything exciting when we have so much gymwear already. My Barn House functioned fine with any other kind of Kitchen Kit, this country kit doesn't STAND OUT, it FITS IN. And dust? They call DUSTING exciting? Especially considering you have to stand in one place and just move the hoover around a bit for an hour. The most exciting thing is the dust bunnies hunting for treasure, they're the ones having the adventure, and most of the time you're going to sell it anyway.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    If only the people that disliked it actually didn't buy the pack itself...

But anyway, yes it's not a great thing to have so many dislikes on social media anyway no matter what people say about EA not caring as long as the packs sell. EA cares very much about backlash and dislikes because it completely ruins the image of the game, especially for new players not yet familiar with the Sims 4.

Kits being a new concept and having so many dislikes just doesn't help advertise them and then there are the negative GameChanger videos and that new James Turner video that just proves how little time EA spent making the kits.
    Even if these kits do end up selling well the damage on the game's image has been done, just like how it happened with Batuu. The more and more controversies this game gets in, the more and more people start being critical of it and one day it will all come crashing down.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    The idea that these small packs have big possibilities is absolutely laughable. A rather mediocre athletics CAS Kit doesn't exactly add anything exciting when we have so much gymwear already. My Barn House functioned fine with any other kind of Kitchen Kit, this country kit doesn't STAND OUT, it FITS IN. And dust? They call DUSTING exciting? Especially considering you have to stand in one place and just move the hoover around a bit for an hour. The most exciting thing is the dust bunnies hunting for treasure, they're the ones having the adventure, and most of the time you're going to sell it anyway.

It all just comes down to opinion. :D

Chores in general doesn't sound exciting (i mean it's not to me. I hate doing them IRL. Pfft) but to others it is. It's like when I look at Laundry day. It's essentially just more chores for sims that fits in with the normal everyday aesthetic. Like build/buy and CAS, but gameplay is just all about laundry. Same with knitting choosen over other things that seemed more exciting, but that's what the community wanted~

Forgot who I was watching when they said seeing a sim vacuuming shouldn't be exciting, but it was. Different strokes I guess.
    5vJrxmT.png
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited March 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    This is bad. This is really bad. I mean, a whole 40%? 6,600 vs 8,700 likes to dislikes, and keeping in mind that all three kits are advertised in one trailer. That's about 43% of people who actually have something positive to say about Kits. That sounds... well, bad, but it also could be worse, right? I mean, it's so vague in its appeal, so it is going to appeal to lots of people anyway. Right? Oh, 90s fashion! It gives me the chills! I've been waiting I've been waiting 25 years to see it again!

Er, not exactly. Compare this to the much earlier Movie Hangout Stuff Pack, another rather vague kit. Not the most fascinating pack with popcorn machines and ice-cream makers, but the designs were colourful and the size of the tvs were certainly fun. It has 15,000 likes to 400 dislikes.

Go back to My First Pet. Oh good lord, it has 1,600 likes to 800 dislikes. That's awful, it really is awful that so few people cared about that pack - and yet still, more people liked it than did dislike it. Pets can be a little bit niche, I guess.

Moving on though, to the Paranormal Stuff Pack. I think the most recent pack IS worth looking at. Because for being the most recent Stuff pack, it has 54,000 vs 5,200 likes to dislikes. Paranormal Stuff Pack has a 91% LIKE RATIO, despite being a Supernatural Pack and by its very nature is a niche pack.

I think people are trying to tell you something, EA.

What exactly are "they" trying to say? i mean you believe you write for the majority of these users from the way you have stated it, i'm curious to know what the opinion of all 15.3k voices have to state on the matter.

The only thing you can state for sure is that you specifically do not agree with the kits and are using that to drive an agenda, which is fine. However just because a few people like or dislike whatever on youtube doesn't mean anything outside of that. Right now it has just launched, it will take a while to get an accurate sampling if the kits really aren't that well received. Further more these kits have yet to get their patch in place to see what they really are capable of, and for all you know that opinion might very well swing the other way.
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Tbh, I think the only reason it isn't getting even more backlash than it is, is because it's a 6 year old game and so it's easier to sneak this kind of stuff in with little fanfare. Many of the people who had the biggest problems with the monetization for this game are probably long gone by now, as well as people who kinda liked the game at some point but are pretty done with it after 6 years.

I mean, I'm trying to recollect and I'm struggling to think of other examples of games where they put in new type of microtransactions this late into the game's life, after already monetizing it so much already, and atop lots of unresolved and mostly ignored issues people have with gameplay. It's such an EA thing to do.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Hoverael wrote: »
    Right now it has just launched, it will take a while to get an accurate sampling if the kits really aren't that well received. Further more these kits have yet to get their patch in place to see what they really are capable of, and for all you know that opinion might very well swing the other way.

@Hoverael I'm gonna have to kindly disagree with you on this one. These packs are tiny, they don't offer much content so finding out what they are capable of and what not is a quick process. They have been out for three days already and that is enough to judge such small kits imo. It's not like people are gonna suddenly find new uses for them or find out they offer more than they look like they offer because they are so small you can pretty much find everything they have to offer in 20 minutes or 3-4 hours of gameplay, if you're really slow.

I just don't see how judging them right now is premature. There is not a lot to explore there, it's not like tomorrow they are gonna be different or change. I don't think people's opinions will swing the other way, especially now that the Gamechangers are starting to make videos that show that bust the dust is really buggy as well.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    Right now it has just launched, it will take a while to get an accurate sampling if the kits really aren't that well received. Further more these kits have yet to get their patch in place to see what they really are capable of, and for all you know that opinion might very well swing the other way.

@Hoverael I'm gonna have to kindly disagree with you on this one. These packs are tiny, they don't offer much content so finding out what they are capable of and what not is a quick process. They have been out for three days already and that is enough to judge such small kits imo. It's not like people are gonna suddenly find new uses for them or find out they offer more than they look like they offer because they are so small you can pretty much find everything they have to offer in 20 minutes or 3-4 hours of gameplay, if you're really slow.

I just don't see how judging them right now is premature. There is not a lot to explore there, it's not like tomorrow they are gonna be different or change. I don't think people's opinions will swing the other way, especially now that the Gamechangers are starting to make videos that show that bust the dust is really buggy as well.

That's prescisely why it is too early to judge, as you mentioned yourself the dust bunnies are bugged. Once a patch comes in and takes care of it, will the opinions remain the same?

I'm not going on about a short duration, i'm always looking further down the line when you got enough kits out there to draw on an average of what the opinion is. You can't do that right away, it will simply take time. That is also something EA will be looking at to see if kits will continue or not.
  • Options

That's prescisely why it is too early to judge, as you mentioned yourself the dust bunnies are bugged. Once a patch comes in and takes care of it, will the opinions remain the same?

@Hoverael I personally expect a product to work as intended on release date, or maybe have a few minor bugs if it's a big project. But releasing a kit with one new gamplay feature and still have it be super bugged is really bad.

So yeah personally I judge a product on the state of its release, I won't buy a product that had to be fixed over and over again because it was full of bugs. And even if it's fixed it won't change my opinion on the product because the company tried to sell something broken, which could have been playtested thoroughly to avoid exactly this situation.

I just don't think relying on a patch to fix a product is the way to go but that's just me. I also don't think many opinions will change because of that. Damage has been done.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    edited March 2021
    First impressions are not good, their video has also pretty low views compared to their other trailers which could hint that people might not even be that much interested in these kits to begin with so it's not good that their debut trailer have a huge amount of dislikes on top of that.

We won't know for sure after maybe a couple of months after they have maybe tuned and fixed the bugs with the bust the dust kit but it's not looking great so far...

I don't like either that this will probably take away time that they could have spent on fixing old bugs and making game packs and expansion packs better.
  • Options
    edited March 2021

@Hoverael I personally expect a product to work as intended on release date, or maybe have a few minor bugs if it's a big project. But releasing a kit with one new gamplay feature and still have it be super bugged is really bad.

So yeah personally I judge a product on the state of its release, I won't buy a product that had to be fixed over and over again because it was full of bugs. And even if it's fixed it won't change my opinion on the product because the company tried to sell something broken, which could have been playtested thoroughly to avoid exactly this situation.

I just don't think relying on a patch to fix a product is the way to go but that's just me. I also don't think many opinions will change because of that. Damage has been done.

Unfortunately this is EA, quality in their work doesn't seem like their highest priority on new releases. We'd be lucky if they fix the packs primary problems in the patch. Eco Lifestyle was released way back now it is still a mess. However EA isn't the only culprit in that regard either with new games. There is no such thing as a bug free game, it's to be expected.

From my point of view i want to wait and see what the situation is before i dive into it. That's part of the research. I never buy these packs at full price, i always wait for a sale long after the initial patches and details come out to get the picture of what it is the developers had intended.
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited March 2021
    Outrage culture. It's popular to be mad now, a few years ago people would just be like "Eh" and move on. They've released some pretty terrible packs in the past (earlier stuff packs I'm looking at you) and they received nowhere near as much anger as even the good packs do now as it wasn't popular to be outraged back then. I'm sure if kits came out in 2016 (or even 2019 as this outrage culture only seems to have become a thing since the pandemic) they would've been met with a mutual sigh of disappointment from the sims community but there wouldn't be anywhere near the same level of anger and dislikes as it wasn't popular to do so then.

There's no more obvious example of this than Paranormal vs Spooky Stuff. Paranormal has 4x more dislikes than Spooky Stuff, and around an equal number of views. Paranormal is arguably the best stuff pack in the game, and Spooky Stuff is arguably the worst.

I think what would be more interesting to see is sales figures, because they reflect much more accurately how the community feels rather than a small (but vocal) minority. The 8000 dislikes makes up a tiny 4% of the people who watched the trailer, and that also excludes the almost 500,000 people who watched the trailer on other platforms like Twitter or Instagram.
  • Options
    EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,922 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    It's popular to be mad now
    That really seems like it :smiley:

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Outrage culture. It's popular to be mad now

This seems like revisionist history. I haven't forgotten what it was like before toddlers were added. When they showed up, it was like a giant knot of tension disappeared overnight. It didn't get rid of all the tension, don't get me wrong... not even close. But it made a very noticeable impact in the mood of things very quickly.

And that wasn't a result of people accepting things as they are, it was a result of them getting something they very much wanted, that they'd expected would be in the base game.

You could notice a similar mood shift, though probably not as strong, when Seasons showed up. And when Cats and Dogs showed up. Two of the most asked for packs.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    Outrage culture. It's popular to be mad now, a few years ago people would just be like "Eh" and move on. They've released some pretty terrible packs in the past (earlier stuff packs I'm looking at you) and they received nowhere near as much anger as even the good packs do now as it wasn't popular to be outraged back then. I'm sure if kits came out in 2016 (or even 2019 as this outrage culture only seems to have become a thing since the pandemic) they would've been met with a mutual sigh of disappointment from the sims community but there wouldn't be anywhere near the same level of anger and dislikes as it wasn't popular to do so then.

@Onverser To be fair I remember similar amounts of outrage when The Sims 3 Store worlds started costing 30$ or when Generations came out and everyone felt like it had things that were more suited to be in the base game, or when Katy Perry Sweet Treats happened.

It does sometime seem like people are complaining because it's "in" and "cool" or because of the state of the world right now, but in reality similar outrages happened with the Sims 3 and probably even before that.
  • Options
    CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited March 2021
    But wait.....guys....we’ve been through this “dislikes” thing in another thread....

Did nobody notice?? 😱

It’s like I let myself get s.u.c.k.e.d straight into a Kafka novel...
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Likes/Dislikes, forum threads, twitter posts....doesn't mean anything, it's the actual sales that count.
    But enjoy yet another thread about how terrible the new kits are.
    Meanwhile I'll be befriending dustbunnies with my first Order Sim after feeding the hamster >:)
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    edited March 2021
    EA should care less about making money and more about the reputation of their games.

People may keep spending money on these packs, but that's only because they're the only life simulation on the market. But every time EA pulls another sleazy money grab, the reputation of their games gets lower. It got lower with My First Pet Stuff, Journey to Batuu, the 20th Anniversary, and of course with Kits.
    What if a viable rival game competes with the Sims (like Paralives)? The Sims brand will have such a low reputation that everyone will flock to the rival game and abandon the Sims completely. Why on earth would customers support Maxis and EA after treating them so poorly for years?

Ultimately, The Sims series will fail. They've dug their graves. After treating their customers like trash for years, no one really supports EA or Maxis anymore. And other companies are watching and are ready to steal their customer base.

It's poetic justice. They treat us like garbage for years, we leave their game and support their competitors.
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    RavenSpit wrote: »
    Likes/Dislikes, forum threads, twitter posts....doesn't mean anything, it's the actual sales that count.
    But enjoy yet another thread about how terrible the new kits are.
    Meanwhile I'll be befriending dustbunnies with my first Order Sim after feeding the hamster >:)

I think it's quite ignorant to say that none of it counts. Like I said in my previous comment, when a competitor comes along (and they will), who will customers support? Greedy EA? Or another company? My guess is the new company.

By continuously lowering the reputation of their brand, EA is digging the Sims grave, whether you want to admit it or not. When a competitor sweeps in, they're DONE
  • Options
    SimmerJillerskiSimmerJillerski Posts: 56 Member
    edited March 2021
    I think it's important to note what people are saying, especially when it comes to a brand's perception. It usually effects marketing reasearch and even shareholder confidence in the company. The kits are not helping with consumer confidence in the product.

JQjKJ9L.png
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    Ignore Youtube - it represents only a very limited part of the community. The small group who thinks disliking anything TS4 is worth their time alone. I had a vid that took me 2 months to produce receiving dislikes. I thought - Why? They probably did not even watch the vid before down rating it. It was of course not perfect, but I mean with all that work put into it was kind of surprised to see that someone was thinking it would not be enough to simply not like it. It would even have saved them a click. It's long ago, and I no longer mind likes/dislikes, but it learned me that trolls are everywhere.

I'd not be surprised if most of the hate comes from ppl who are no longer playing ts4 but want EA to release TS5. The pattern has already been around for some time. Hating until they get what they want. It's a sick world...
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,672 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    EA should care less about making money and more about the reputation of their games.

People may keep spending money on these packs, but that's only because they're the only life simulation on the market. But every time EA pulls another sleazy money grab, the reputation of their games gets lower. It got lower with My First Pet Stuff, Journey to Batuu, the 20th Anniversary, and of course with Kits.
    What if a viable rival game competes with the Sims (like Paralives)? The Sims brand will have such a low reputation that everyone will flock to the rival game and abandon the Sims completely. Why on earth would customers support Maxis and EA after treating them so poorly for years?

Ultimately, The Sims series will fail. They've dug their graves. After treating their customers like trash for years, no one really supports EA or Maxis anymore. And other companies are watching and are ready to steal their customer base.

It's poetic justice. They treat us like garbage for years, we leave their game and support their competitors.

I think problem is that ppl buy everything EA throws at them. If not liking something, don't buy it, and EA will understand and perhaps change. If we are meh about something it doesn't help much when we first buy it anyway and then dislike it.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    bixters wrote: »

I think problem is that ppl buy everything EA throws at them. If not liking something, don't buy it, and EA will understand and perhaps change. If we are meh about something it doesn't help much when we first buy it anyway and then dislike it.

I agree people shouldn't buy everything, and especially not buy things they don't want.

What I'm specifically referring to, however, is that even though people are buying these packs, that doesn't mean they actually like or trust the brand/ company. And that's because EA has proven time and time again that they are untrustworthy and not consumer friendly. I would say the majority of customers don't actually like EA or even Maxis at this point, and they only buy these packs because it's the only thing around.
    When a new simulation game comes out as a competitor, no one will support EA. I know I certainly won't.

So, in the long run, having an extremely low reputation with players is detrimental, because fans won't support them. And it will cost them financially, when another game comes out and does better than the Sims.