Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Turning a world green without NAPs?

Is it possible to turn a world green without NAPs? I mean I'd hate to have to choose sharing and caring and ruin the world eventually when it's the last NAP options available..

I've tried to place many trees and bushes around some lots in sulani and grew a garden and placed dew collector and placed another trees and bushes in my house..

The eco footprint came so close to becoming green til tiny thin line then it was slowly changing back to industrial!

HOW to turn it green?

Comments

• Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    NAP and the eco footprint are two separate systems as far as I am aware of.

Eco footprint is determined by the way you build. Certain objects and walls or flooring will have an impact on the eco footprint. For example fireplaces seem to be considered industrial. The eco footprint is determined by all the buildings in your neighbourhood, not just your active lot so you will need to edit all buildings in your neighbourhood. You can also upgrade objects to be more eco friendly. There have been a lot of complaints about the eco footprint going to neutral too easily so maybe you are experiencing that problem.

NAPs are mainly meant to change sims behaviour. The only exception are the green and modern initiative. These change the look of the 3 neighbourhoods in the world that came with the pack. Because you are playing in Sulani, these NAPs won't be available.
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Atreya33 wrote: »
    NAP and the eco footprint are two separate systems as far as I am aware of.

Eco footprint is determined by the way you build. Certain objects and walls or flooring will have an impact on the eco footprint. For example fireplaces seem to be considered industrial. The eco footprint is determined by all the buildings in your neighbourhood, not just your active lot so you will need to edit all buildings in your neighbourhood. You can also upgrade objects to be more eco friendly. There have been a lot of complaints about the eco footprint going to neutral too easily so maybe you are experiencing that problem.

NAPs are mainly meant to change sims behaviour. The only exception are the green and modern initiative. These change the look of the 3 neighbourhoods in the world that came with the pack. Because you are playing in Sulani, these NAPs won't be available.

By editing all buildings in the world you mean place trees and bushes and remove any industrial object placed there in every lot?

When you also mentioned upgrading objects to be more eco friendly, you mean upgrades using eco parts? Cuz these I need to make them..

Do normal upgrades using normal upgrade parts make the world more industrial?
  • SanniSilliSanniSilli Posts: 160 Member
    I thought that some of the "normal" NAPs have an effect to the eco footprint too, like Clean Energy Production, Power and Water Conservation, but I'm not 100% sure. I have disabled NPC voting so I can choose the NAPs I want, no fear of sharing and caring :D

But as Atreya33 pointed out, there is other things than NAPs you can do. Build green, use sun panels, wind turbines and due collectors, upgrade your plumbings and electrical devices... This shoud work, at least in theory.

My own eco footprint is bugged, when I enter a household in green neighborhood it might go to neutral in few hours... and if I change households and come back after a while it's green again but starts to decrease the second I start playing. I hope they're still trying to figure this bug out...
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,410 Member
    @graventhe I haven't been able to explore the eco footprint in detail because I have mainly been building since I got the pack on sale but I think the upgrades should mention saving power or being eco friendly.

I think this article might have some tips as well
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/ecolifestyle/eco-footprint.php

@SanniSilli I wasn't aware of NAP influencing footprint. But I will try them out to see if they help. Thanks.
  • GageaGagea Posts: 1,274 Member
    My Forgotten Hollow neighbourhood is all 'green' without any NAPs just through editing all the houses and upgrading appliances
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    The short answer is yes.

Go into Manage Worlds and edit community lots (Community lots are free to edit, so those are easiest, plus since you visit those most, they do the most impact on the neighborhood outside your home lot).
    Replace roof tiles with eco friendly roof tiles, fill the roofs with solar panels, give every community lot with a lawn a wind turbine or two. Etc. That should be enough to push the footprint.

Also you don't have to ruin the look. In Sulani you probably don't want high tech eco roofs, but just put 8 solar panels on the Sand Bar's roof and a wind turbine on each of the beaches and you are golden. Etc. It will just take longer time.

Also keep an eye on community lots with fireplaces. Fireplaces causes a lot of pollution (I think +5 industrial when lit) so either remove them, or make sure you have more eco PLUS than eco MINUS on that lot with the fireplace lit.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • mightyspritemightysprite Posts: 5,808 Member
    Grow garden plants.

gen3-banner.png
    The short answer is yes.

Go into Manage Worlds and edit community lots (Community lots are free to edit, so those are easiest, plus since you visit those most, they do the most impact on the neighborhood outside your home lot).
    Replace roof tiles with eco friendly roof tiles, fill the roofs with solar panels, give every community lot with a lawn a wind turbine or two. Etc. That should be enough to push the footprint.

Also you don't have to ruin the look. In Sulani you probably don't want high tech eco roofs, but just put 8 solar panels on the Sand Bar's roof and a wind turbine on each of the beaches and you are golden. Etc. It will just take longer time.

Also keep an eye on community lots with fireplaces. Fireplaces causes a lot of pollution (I think +5 industrial when lit) so either remove them, or make sure you have more eco PLUS than eco MINUS on that lot with the fireplace lit.

I wonder if normal upgrades part increase industrial? Cuz eco parts are very hard to get and upgrading using them is very exhausting, upgrading the dew collector alone takes 9 eco upgrade parts!
  • Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Yes, it's possible. I turned Gibbs Hill green by doing the energy-saving and water-saving upgrades to several items and growing around 50 garden plants. My lot and the library are both green, the other two lots are neutral. I wasn't actually trying to turn the neighborhood green, it just happened on its own, so I didn't use eco-upgrade parts, landscaping, or remodeling.
    graventhe wrote: »
    The short answer is yes.

I wonder if normal upgrades part increase industrial? Cuz eco parts are very hard to get and upgrading using them is very exhausting, upgrading the dew collector alone takes 9 eco upgrade parts!

They don't, so you don't have to worry. Several eco upgrades can be done with regular parts, as well.
    The short answer is yes.

They don't, so you don't have to worry. Several eco upgrades can be done with regular parts, as well.

Really? How? It says eco parts missing..would love if I can eco upgrades with normal parts
    The short answer is yes.

Really? How? It says eco parts missing..would love if I can eco upgrades with normal parts

As far as I know there is absolutely no difference between the end results of "Upgrade: Water Recycler" and "Upgrade: Water Recycler with eco parts". It's just a trade off; eco parts are cheaper but harder to come by (you can't order them on the computer).