Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 Kits Backlash incoming

Comments

• Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    They will ignore the backlash, as well they should. Kits are a great idea, and here's the part that detractors keep missing; you don't have to buy them.

@Nate_Whiplash1 I don't think they are missing that. I think most people are ignoring the "detractors" arguements, which some are pretty valid. Some people don't like the idea of overmonetization and the Sims series has never had more DLC than this while so many things go unfixed in the base and expansions (which are imo, and a lot of people's opinion) some of the smallest we've gotten in the Sims ever.

So yeah, it's not about buying or not buying. I think to them it's more about the idea of another piece of DLC in a game that doesn't offer as much. I don't think 7 thousand people are missing the fact that they "don't have to buy the kits".
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    They will ignore it. I like the kit pack idea and wished they would have done it sooner. I think maybe they are doing it now to see how it goes so they can do that at the start of Sims5. But that is my opinion :D

@Scobre I think I read where you are a game changer? I don't know much about that, but if some are "scared how much it will add up", is it because they pay for them now because I thought they got them for free :/
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2021
    I love the kits. All the fun of the store without buying store credits first. I'm expecting some really fun ideas.

@KathMHughes On the other hand the Sims 3 Store also had huge backlash.

Yes, but those same people who railed against the TS3 store bought every last thing in the store. I read a thread yesterday where they OP was calling all of this a rip off but down in the thread they had purchased all three packs as soon as they were released.

I don't think EA or Maxis believes people won't buy and fall for these money grabs. Even if players see the money grab they go ahead and buy it anyway. It's why TS4 will go on forever. And this type of buying is why it will be common place for TS5 to be filled with microtransactions because TS4 players just don't care and hand out the money all the while writing threads about how horrible it is but with the other hand, handing money over to Maxis. The community will deserve the TS5 (microtransactions) they get.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I love the kits. All the fun of the store without buying store credits first. I'm expecting some really fun ideas.

Yes, but those same people who railed against the TS3 store bought every last thing in the store. .

@Cinebar Which is exactly the problem with the Sims community. No wonder all other game fandoms are making fun of Simmers...
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

Yes, but those same people who railed against the TS3 store bought every last thing in the store. .

@Cinebar Which is exactly the problem with the Sims community. No wonder all other game fandoms are making fun of Simmers...

It's one thing to say you like or don't like something, it's quite another to prove to the world they write threads about how low down it is but purchased all three. Go figure.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    Kits seem to have ideas on existing packs. I don't think the backlash will be as bad as Batuu.

The backlash won’t even be close.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Are you sure? Cause the dislikes are growing FAST. This is definitely worse than when Spark'd came out.

@SimmerGeorge
    I’ll be honest, I don’t count the likes or dislikes on social media because it doesn’t prove much. At first glance it seems like it does, but I’d say half of those who hit the dislike buttons bought the kits anyway and are happily vacuuming their virtual Dust Bunnies as we speak.

Truth.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited March 2021
    Kits seem to have ideas on existing packs. I don't think the backlash will be as bad as Batuu.

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Are you sure? Cause the dislikes are growing FAST. This is definitely worse than when Spark'd came out.

@SimmerGeorge
    I’ll be honest, I don’t count the likes or dislikes on social media because it doesn’t prove much. At first glance it seems like it does, but I’d say half of those who hit the dislike buttons bought the kits anyway and are happily vacuuming their virtual Dust Bunnies as we speak.

95% of the time it's just a matter of just the noisy minority being angry. Sometimes there are even organized review / dislike bombings (for those interested, there are several attempts over the last 5 years to sabotage popular movies' review scores by anti-progress individuals for example) However at certain times the storm has been real. For EA there have been two such times that I know of: First the Sim City rage, second the original Mass Effect 3 ending.
    It is worth noting however that nothing the Sims community have ever experienced even came up to 10% of those outrages. When the likes of Forbes and The New Yorker writes about the outrage and not just semi-popular youtubers, that is a completely different level.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    edited March 2021
    EA doesn't care about the backlash, they will sell well and that what businesses is about, I agree with @CAPTAIN_NXR7 there will be people complaining about them and still buying them therefore no impact, money talks people
  • Options
    GordyGordy Posts: 3,022 Member
    edited March 2021

95% of the time it's just a matter of just the noisy minority being angry. Sometimes there are even organized review / dislike bombings (for those interested, there are several attempts over the last 5 years to sabotage popular movies' review scores by anti-progress individuals for example) However at certain times the storm has been real. For EA there have been two such times that I know of: First the Sim City rage, second the original Mass Effect 3 ending.
    It is worth noting however that nothing the Sims community have ever experienced even came up to 10% of those outrages. When the likes of Forbes and The New Yorker writes about the outrage and not just semi-popular youtubers, that is a completely different level.
    I will say that the issue is a lot more complex than that. Most, if not all movies that have been review-bombed will likely have legitimate reasons behind it. Most of those bombs weren't because people just hate women/minorities/whatever, though I'm sure a lot of people were probably just using this as an opportunity for that. Ghostbusters as hated because it was a lazy cashgrab that wasn't funny, had bad effects and featured an obnoxious director who kept dismissing criticism over the movie as sexism. Meanwhile, fans and critics alike flocked to Wonder Woman - the movie was just plain better.

It's not really here not there, but I thought I'd mention it because there are so many issues to consider. I take it personally because I really like the ideas behind these movies, but they're being handled horribly by the people behind them.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
    The Sims 4 hasn't introduced a new musical instrument since 2017
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

95% of the time it's just a matter of just the noisy minority being angry.

@Beardedgeek But the dislikes are from the majority?
  • Options

@SimmerGeorge

@CAPTAIN_NXR7 Cause Monopoly. Backlash is still real though.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Gordy wrote: »

I will say that the issue is a lot more complex than that. Most, if not all movies that have been review-bombed will likely have legitimate reasons behind it. Most of those bombs weren't because people just hate women/minorities/whatever, though I'm sure a lot of people were probably just using this as an opportunity for that. Ghostbusters as hated because it was a lazy cashgrab that wasn't funny, had bad effects and featured an obnoxious director who kept dismissing criticism over the movie as sexism.

It's not really here not there, but I thought I'd mention it because there are so many issues to consider. I take it personally because I really like the ideas behind these movies, but they're being handled horribly by the people behind them.

Captain marvel got review bombed before release day by individuals who wanted the movie to fail because the lead actress is an outspoken feminist. There were even drives on anti-woman channels on youtube and Twitter urging people to go review bomb the movie.

Anyway, again, this "outrage" or ANY outrage in the Sims community comes close to the two instances I mentioned above; one of them even made EA's stock lose enough value that the board members lost their bonuses that year.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    edited March 2021

Captain marvel got review bombed before release day by individuals who wanted the movie to fail because the lead actress is an outspoken feminist. There were even drives on anti-woman channels on youtube and Twitter urging people to go review bomb the movie.

Anyway, again, this "outrage" or ANY outrage in the Sims community comes close to the two instances I mentioned above; one of them even made EA's stock lose enough value that the board members lost their bonuses that year.
    Captain Marvel's "bombs" were people saying that they didn't want to see the movie. It was the "Want to See” function, and they were saying that they didn't want to see the movie. I'm pretty sure people aren't even allowed to review before the movie is out to the general public, but I could be wrong about that.

As for why the movie itself was divisive, Captain Marvel was hated for a multiple of reasons beyond sexism. The character itself was VERY unpopular with comic book fans. (Fun fact: she belittled a Holocaust survivor for having problems with her arresting people for thought crimes.) The character was regularly pushed despite her unpopularity and many people were frustrated, especially since doing well in the MCU means getting an even bigger push in comics. Bree Larson herself was controversial, and when the movie came out, it was fluffed up and praised by the media despite being average at best. When all was said and done, and most of the hate was deleted, the movie still got a tepid reaction.

But yeah, I guess I went way off-topic lol, so feel free to DM me if you wanna continue. This isn't me trying to start a fight or anything, I just like talking about stuff. You didn't give off the impression that you upset, I just wanted you to know since tone doesn't always come across well online, and I'm worried about coming off as angry or something.

TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited March 2021
    Movotti wrote: »
    Kits are $7.95 aud.

That’s steep!
    I bet ya this includes shipping costs since you live at the edge of the world and those kits have a long long way to travel. *

*it was a joke. I have no idea why you guys, the Kiwis and the poor Canadians have to pay more? Looks like the result of a terrible trade deal.

The price difference is due to two things:
    1. The currency exchange rate between the US Dollar, and the other countries currency.
    2. Also I just learned this, some countries charge an additional tax for items they consider luxury goods, and in many countries digital entertainment is included in that category.

James mentions this in passing in his video and I have now confirmed with with friends of mine who live outside of the states. Video games are not considered a necessity but a luxury in many places and are therefore taxed more heavily and since the game is originating in the states some countries may even charge import fees on top of all that. Thus the price disparity even when factoring for the exchange rate.
    Post edited by Pamtastic72 on
  • Options
    Oh look, they actually did respond to some of the backlash. That's EA for you, now mocking people.

YG00yFO.png

• Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2021
    Gordy wrote: »

I will say that the issue is a lot more complex than that. Most, if not all movies that have been review-bombed will likely have legitimate reasons behind it. Most of those bombs weren't because people just hate women/minorities/whatever, though I'm sure a lot of people were probably just using this as an opportunity for that. Ghostbusters as hated because it was a lazy cashgrab that wasn't funny, had bad effects and featured an obnoxious director who kept dismissing criticism over the movie as sexism. Meanwhile, fans and critics alike flocked to Wonder Woman - the movie was just plain better.

This. It's so popular now to discredit actual critism just by saying "well then you're just a sexist/racist/bigot/-phobic" etc. It just makes it easier to stay in your own mental bubble and block out valid counsel.Why listen to criticism when you can just call the critic a racist? Will be so much easier and can save your fragile ego. Already with the Tom Clancy movie with Michael B. Jordan. The narrator in the trailer didnt sound all that enthusastic/lame delivery and a top comment said that. Then in the replies: 'You must just be an insecure white boy then' So many white saviors/racists online. This kind of thinking give me headaches. Im grateful for the ignore feature on here.

Now, actual sexist/racist etc comments do exist and just want to hate on good actors/content etc because their prejudice. But its very clear language that comes across when that is the reason. But it takes a reasonable person to see whether a comment comes from a place of hatred or not. Not a lot of reasonable people out there anymore.
    Post edited by StrawberryYogurt on
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • Options
    EternalSunshineEternalSunshine Posts: 340 Member
    edited March 2021
    Loanet wrote: »
    You like the content, so you have to buy it, no matter what the price is. Being less than $5, you can't know if they'll go on sale at all, so refusing to buy it just because you don't like the price even though you do like the content, is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with this. EA is counting on customers buying these kits no matter the price. If you think that kits are overpriced, then do not buy them or wait for a potential sale. That is the only way for customers to potentially encourage EA to charge a more reasonable price in the future. I like the content of the Country Kitchen and Bust the Dust kits, but to me the price for what is offered is ridiculous. So, I am speaking with my wallet, the only language that EA might understand, and spending my $4.99 elsewhere. If kits ever go on sale for around $1-2, I may reconsider, but if not, that's okay. I would rather "miss out" than support kits at the current price. I don't consider that to be "cutting my nose off to spite my face."
    Post edited by EternalSunshine on
  • Options
    sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I think the Kits need to be cheaper and even more hyper-focused.

For example, the Flashback Fit Kit should have been something like anime or emo where it would really appeal to those who associate with those groups. Country kitchen isn't exactly niche but a kit that was total country with country fashion and items that were extremely rustic or homemade items would have made more sense to me.

I hope this makes sense haha
  • Options
    crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member

Kits are $7.95 aud.

That’s steep!
    I bet ya this includes shipping costs since you live at the edge of the world and those kits have a long long way to travel. *

*it was a joke. I have no idea why you guys, the Kiwis and the poor Canadians have to pay more? Looks like the result of a terrible trade deal.

1. The currency exchange rate between the US Dollar, and the other countries currency.
    2. Also I just learned this, some countries charge an additional tax for items the consider luxury goods, and in many countries digital entertainment is included in that category.

James mentions this in passing in his video and I have now confirmed with with friends of mine who live outside of the states. Video games are not considered a necessity but a luxury in many places and are therefore taxed more heavily and since the game is originating in the states some countries may even charge import fees on top of all that. Thus the price disparity even when factoring for the exchange rate.

In Europe at least there must be something different because all prices are converted by simply switching the EUR or USD sign in front of the price numbers. If I were to convert local currency in my country, I would need to spend about 20% more to get the same amount of EUR as in USD.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited March 2021
    I'm refusing to buy anything from EA right now, but that's because I'm not happy with their bug fixing.

I got nothing against people complaining, I always believe that there is a reason behind it and when the game have been going for over six years, people can probably find a lot of reasons...

I do think that EA and Maxis cares about the responses, but they will care less if these kits will sell, which I suspect they will because they are more expensive than a normal stuff pack so they will make more profit. So I do wish that these people that do complain also don't buy these kits if they are unhappy with them.

All that I can recommend to those people is play the game less if it makes you unhappy...if you keep playing it and keep complaining it's just unhealthy for you. Stop buying packs, play the game from time to time but also give other games a change, hang out on the forums, post pictures and try to be more happy, then you can say no to things you don't like, share it with others and discuss about it.
  • Options
    I think the Kits need to be cheaper and even more hyper-focused.

For example, the Flashback Fit Kit should have been something like anime or emo where it would really appeal to those who associate with those groups. Country kitchen isn't exactly niche but a kit that was total country with country fashion and items that were extremely rustic or homemade items would have made more sense to me.

I hope this makes sense haha
    Oh my hell. They need to make a pack for 2006 Hot Topic fashion and the emo movement. Give me Sims 2 Exchange realness.
    TS1_dragons_hatching.jpg
  • Options
    bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    Oh look, they actually did respond to some of the backlash. That's EA for you, now mocking people.

YG00yFO.png

LOL wow even the Sims social media team has given up :D:D
  • Options
    Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Kits are $7.95 aud.

That’s steep!

2. Also I just learned this, some countries charge an additional tax for items the consider luxury goods, and in many countries digital entertainment is included in that category.

In Europe at least there must be something different because all prices are converted by simply switching the EUR or USD sign in front of the price numbers. If I were to convert local currency in my country, I would need to spend about 20% more to get the same amount of EUR as in USD.

It’s probably got something to do with trade agreements between the EU and the US.
  • Options
    StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    edited March 2021

YG00yFO.png

Sims team is trolling us hard smh
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.