Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

About the Whims

Has there been any recent news or speculations about this "dead" feature? Oddly enough, it's still pretty useful to me. The broken randomness can sometimes spice up the gameplay/story. I've heard that it's been a veeeeery long while since they last updated it. Is this true?

Also, I'm aware of the whimsoverhaul mod. But, I'm a vanilla + MCCC player so there's that.

Comments

• Options
    BookBearBookBear Posts: 488 Member
    They haven't added ones that don't involve buying things for years, sadly. :disappointed:
    Offering free hugs for your time of need.
    8763f1fcdeee963323782673c8c95eee.gif
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    I don't check the whims regularly, but I was a tad surprised recently that some whims actually did relate to a pack I did not expect to have any dedicated whims at all. I also see the whims are very different from sim to sim, looks like many factors ae taken into account. Yupp, I so wish they could have added more to this feature, it is a cool way to get new ideas for your sim's activities and interests etc.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    GenericTownieGenericTownie Posts: 105 Member
    I don't get any broken randomness. It's always the same seasons whims so I just have the whimsoverhaul mod
  • Options
    HandelHandel Posts: 395 Member
    Ah we Whims fans need to stick together. I find it a bit harder to focus on the aspirations that were introduced without whims backing them up than the ones that did before. The Realm of Magic ones especially.

Also I hold the opinion that people would have figured out what the Adventurous trait actually did faster if they attached some whims to it.
    Townie/NPC lore nerd!
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    yes bring back whims
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited February 2021
    I love whims. I use them all the time in my gameplay. I have been using the Whim Overhaul mod because EA seem to have completely abandoned them and I got so sick of every single sim wanting to buy a bee box. It’s such a shame that they have received no updates for such a long time. I consider them to be a very important game feature and I think they add a lot to the gameplay when they work properly.
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    I have been a vanilla player for long enough, I’m tired of waiting in vain for simple stuff like this to be fixed. I finally got the Whim Overhaul mod yesterday and some other mods to get rid of the many, many annoyances. Bless these modders.
  • Options
    DizzyDi34DizzyDi34 Posts: 449 Member
    whimsoverhaul mod?
  • Options
    babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    DizzyDi34 wrote: »
    whimsoverhaul mod?
    It’s by Bienchen, here is a link to the page it’s on: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/

Just make sure you install only the files for packs you have, I got an error message because at first I didn’t remove the ones for packs I didn’t have.
  • Options
    Jasonschick80Jasonschick80 Posts: 686 Member
    edited February 2021
    ^^^ I'm totally checking out this mod because Im tired of buying bee boxes and having yards full of 1x1 pools because the Sims team can't be bothered to give us more whims.

I mean honestly, if this is supposed to be a life simulation game I can count on zero fingers how many times I've had the same whim twice in a week irl. (Ok, thats a stretch because I am now addicted to Chinese dramas but y'all get my point.)

Eta: it's 1x1 pools, not 1c1 pools,geez
  • Options
    MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    Yeah, people are saying they stopped adding any. It is such a shame because there are play styles that depenend on fulfilling your sims' whims. I dont know when exactly they stopped adding new ones but i hope they revive this feature and improve it soon enough. We need more and better whims!
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited February 2021
    I started using whimoverhaul because whims were just the same old things over and over. :s I also find whims (once modded) to be useful and a big part of my game. If you're already using MCCC and really want new whims then I highly recommend taking the plunge and getting that mod. Bienchen is a talented trust worthy modder who generally updates their creations pretty fast.
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    haisinhaisin Posts: 948 Member
    edited February 2021
    I'm a vanilla player too, but once again I'm tempted to mod... I like whims. I don't use them all the time, but I still use them a lot, especially when my sims interact with each other. I'd love whims to be updated.
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Whimsoverhaul (together with ui cheats and maybe mccc) is one of the mods i can't play without!

*i said maybe mccc because i've just started using it for story progression now that i have a new gaming laptop. I suspect it will be one of my favourites!
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    Bienchen saved whims, IMHO. EA should take some notes. Whim fans unite!
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,720 Member
    Agreed, thank you @83bienchen
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    One of the reasons I quit ts4 is because they stopped adding whims. My playstyle is based around whims so I feel like they've abandoned my playstyle. I didn't try the whim overhaul mod because it tunes down the buy whims, and I need those whims. I like starting with an empty house and only buying things when my sim gets the whim for it, so the buy whims are important to me too.

I think they stopped adding whims for new packs when they made whims optional. It was really sad because my sims can never experience the new pack content because they won't get whims for it.

• Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Please better whims !!
  • Options
    iamoz96iamoz96 Posts: 263 Member
    I always used whims. Honestly I don’t know why they quit putting new ones in for future packs. It’s useful if you don’t want to earn satisfaction points by doing solely aspirations.
    Origin ID: iamoz96
    Enjoy my creations! :)
  • Options
    texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    One of the reasons I quit ts4 is because they stopped adding whims. My playstyle is based around whims so I feel like they've abandoned my playstyle. I didn't try the whim overhaul mod because it tunes down the buy whims, and I need those whims. I like starting with an empty house and only buying things when my sim gets the whim for it, so the buy whims are important to me too.

I think they stopped adding whims for new packs when they made whims optional. It was really sad because my sims can never experience the new pack content because they won't get whims for it.

The buy whims in sims 4 are limited to the bee box, pool and a few more. Not enough to equip a house... i'ld try the whimsoverhaul mod. It's really good!
  • Options
    83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited February 2021
    Thanks for the great feedback.

I left the buy basics whims untouched, the buy whims that have been nuked are the more strange ones like the 1x1 pool tile.

Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • Options
    DizzyDi34DizzyDi34 Posts: 449 Member
    I looked at the whimsoverhaul mod but i dont want to get rid of buy whims altogether i want whims for new items and items that you dont have, eg i loved in the sims 2 when you moved into a completely empty house you instantly had whims for the necessary basics, fridge, toliet bath, bed etc. also more whims based on sims traits. There actully used to be a basic buy whims mod on mod the sims but it no longer works :(
  • Options
    LyrieLyrie Posts: 881 Member
    83bienchen wrote: »

I left the buy basics whims untouched, the buy whims that have been nuked are the more strange ones like the 1x1 pool tile.

@DizzyDi34 I don’t think you have to worry, the creator said they only nuked the pool 1x and bee box ones, I still get buy object options 🙂

I love this mod and can’t play without it to the point that when it’s not working because I didn’t have all the packs I contacted personally bienchen, and he/she/they worked with me in order to make it work by breaking the mod into packs owned

I’m so thankful 💜 I always play it whim style and they give my sims more personality!

Like teen will want to text, hang at the pool on a hot day, sims will wanna watch movies when it’s raining and so much more!!!

• Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited March 2021
    I really wish they would make more whims
    I am grateful that there is a mod though :) as whims are a big part of my game play
    its one way I get to know my sims do guys think the guru's know we want them back ?
    and the poor xbox and ps4 players can't use mods :/
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    SmellincoffeeSmellincoffee Posts: 963 Member
    telmarina wrote: »
    Whimsoverhaul (together with ui cheats and maybe mccc) is one of the mods i can't play without!

*i said maybe mccc because i've just started using it for story progression now that i have a new gaming laptop. I suspect it will be one of my favourites!

The more you learn about MCCC the more useful it gets. Literally ever year I've had it installed I've learned new tricks with it.