Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 subscription

Comments

• Themrsg4422Themrsg4422 Posts: 332 Member
    If it is subscription, multi-player, or online only, then I'm done after 21 years playing. The sims has never been about those things and it will absolutely wreck the franchise.
  • Gamer_34567544Gamer_34567544 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Subscription fees? Hope not.
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited September 2021
    I doubt it would have a subscription fee.

They just spent the better part of the last decade catering to casual gamers. Casuals dont pay subscription fees lol

It would be their worst financial decision in the history of the series because they would lose the casuals, and on top of that the angry long-time fans who will just keep replaying old series instead of paying a sub fee.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • RubyxAngelRubyxAngel Posts: 333 Member
    I was thinking this the other day! It would be awful if they did this, it would mean instead of selling us 'packs' and 'kits' so we have a choice of what we want, we will have to pay monthly fee and be forced to be given whatever they make. I'm guessing people who can't pay every month will simply miss out on what came out the month they didn't pay?
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited September 2021
    I am okay with that. At least I would spend less money :D
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    The first question I have is will Sims5 be worth the price of a monthly subscription service. After seven years of Sims4, I highly doubt Sims5 will be worthy of anyone paying more than five dollars a month for the honor of playing it. And as far as Sims5 goes, even without the subscription service, I am not interested in buying it. There is still a lot in Sims4 I haven't explored. Plus Sims3 calls to me from time to time. Sims4 is probably going to be the final iteration in the franchise I will invest my time and money into. Face it, EA has managed to take just about all the fun out of waiting for new packs because most of those have been released with glitches, bugs and a serious lack of innovative game play. This wash, rinse and repeat of themes has become a bit boring after 20 odd years, so I'll just stick with what I have and mod the heck out of 3 and 4, and tweak both games until I get the game play I want out of them. To be totally honest here, I can hardly wait for Sims4 to end so I won't be forced to update my game every month. I get my mods all updated and my game running beautifully, I'm having a great time then bam, we get another update, that I would prefer not to have, but if I play in off line mode I get locked out of the Gallery. I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with a game I have paid a lot of money to play. And subscription services are just one more way we lose our control over what we want as players. No thanks. I'm definitely not going down that road.
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I have a hard time seeing how this would work considering how far apart the packs are released. Consider this I am done with Country Living and want something new in my game, there is a pretty good chance I end my subscription and wait to see what is the next release and if I don't like that, there is a risk that I don't return to the game.
  • PenelopePenelope Posts: 3,298 Member
    I don't want a multiplayer online game, and won't pay for a subscription. I don't mind if there's a multiplayer component so long as we can play it single-player as well. Some people would love it to be multiplayer, I'm just not one of them. I don't want a Sims MMO.
  • GooseyGoosey Posts: 317 Member
    edited May 2022

Post edited by Goosey on

Gentlemen, from this day forward... you will all refer to me by the name... Betty... myahhahah!
  • Incacore_LlamaIncacore_Llama Posts: 22 Member
    [quote="Goosey;c-17990164"]A subscription is a great idea and is up there with great ideas like surprise mechanics and Denuvo, it'll help kill off this franchise for good and make it easier for newer and better simulation games to be developed.

Paralives is one familiar game over the last couple years with a chance to get some traction but like 10x more of those games being made by different developers would be great. Can't wait till EA Simcity 2013's this thing once and for all. The hilarious disaster that is Sims 3 and 4 should be enough evidence why this series should die.[/quote]

Paralives is just another starry eyed indie promising five times the content for 1/5 of the price, people who unionically believe all issues with the game industry are muh greed. Skylines did well because it was under an actual game company behind it, people that understands the concept of "barter" and that clients aren't friends, if someone like that does a life sim then there will be reason for EA to fear.
  • WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    They could be talking about one of the mobile versions.

If not, and it is subscription-based, as an MMO player (and even MMOs are moving away from subs) I really don't see EAxis keeping up with the proper patch schedule. Weekly patches that sub payers demand? We can barely get one a month most of the time, never mind regular content drops. People who pay a subscription demand quality, demand content, and demand it yesterday. EAxis can't keep up with anything more sub based than EA Access. The mess that is the Sims 4 would have died 6 months into its lifespan if they had charged a subscription, and they know it...so Sims 5 better bloody wow. And it better be totally optional, or you lose 90% of your player base - who control a large portion of your demographic.

I, however, am making no judgments on whether or not I play the next iteration until I see it. I don't make decisions on rumor and conjecture.
  • pandie00pandie00 Posts: 590 Member
    I hope not.. I have little time to play and I do not have a fully stocked wallet and I have priorities right now (my one year baby) So.. If this came to be true I guess its time to move on... After paying I feel almost obliged to play and I dont like it.. Dont like it at all
    “Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.” - Will Wright.

12-01-2017 <3
    Rebuilding Genetics Family Tree

My Tumblr : pandie4sims.tumblr.com/
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited October 2021
    As if releasing paid DLC so reguarly isn't close enough to subscription as it is? Ugh.

Concerns about this have made me turn my attention towards Paralives - I don't want to get carried away, but The Sims SO badly needs competiton.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    I want to buy a game and be able to play it offline and to choose the expansions and additional stuff I want. If they plan to make The Sims 5 a subscription based game it's a deal breaker for me. I hope they meant another version of Sims like some suspect.

I loved when I could buy games and expansions/stuff packs on discs, install them and put the boxes in my bookshelf. Then I had them and could re-install them if I needed to, without depending on if they were still available for download. I don't want to have a game or program connected to my bank account or having to pay bills for them every month.

For younger simmers, I doubt that parents would want to pay subscription fees for their kids' games every month. What kind of present is that if you have to pay for it perpetually? Should an aunt have to pay for a monthly subscription for a present to her niece or nephew?
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • SapientsimsolidSapientsimsolid Posts: 3,169 Member
    A lot of major and well known companies go with the subscription plan. It gives them a guaranteed secure income, but not a fan, and if EA decides to go in this direction with the new iteration of The Sims (5) believe I will pass.
    For the player thats paying double or close to it for a game when you add it all up.
  • doogeriedoogerie Posts: 765 Member
    faytheful wrote: »
    A lot of major and well known companies go with the subscription plan. It gives them a guaranteed secure income.
    I get that it’s a guaranteed income but I feel that this model would not work for the Sims the fans don’t want it sims can’t afford it and others just won’t pay the Sims is not a competitive Multiplayer and aI don’t see them Getting Clans or Guilds unless they drastically change the game play. All this business model will do is damage the sims maybe even kill the franchise.

edited November 2021
    doogerie wrote: »
    A lot of major and well known companies go with the subscription plan. It gives them a guaranteed secure income.
    I get that it’s a guaranteed income but I feel that this model would not work for the Sims the fans don’t want it sims can’t afford it and others just won’t pay the Sims is not a competitive Multiplayer and aI don’t see them Getting Clans or Guilds unless they drastically change the game play. All this business model will do is damage the sims maybe even kill the franchise.

Get it, feel pretty much the same. They'd lose me on that one, not that they care :)
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    No Thanks, I'm not paying for a subcription, and Live Service is like the worst idea a gaming company can make, look at that Avengers Game, it's a Dumpster Fire and not even the new Spider-Man DLC can save it, I wish games were fun like the good ol days like when the Super Nintendo and N64 came out.
  • Simcity_TrainsSimcity_Trains Posts: 107 Member
    Sims 5 would just kill off the Sims franchise, play Freeso instead
    Sims 5 is literally Sims online remastered
    edited November 2021
    Paigeisin5 wrote: »
    The first question I have is will Sims5 be worth the price of a monthly subscription service. After seven years of Sims4, I highly doubt Sims5 will be worthy of anyone paying more than five dollars a month for the honor of playing it. And as far as Sims5 goes, even without the subscription service, I am not interested in buying it. There is still a lot in Sims4 I haven't explored. Plus Sims3 calls to me from time to time. Sims4 is probably going to be the final iteration in the franchise I will invest my time and money into. Face it, EA has managed to take just about all the fun out of waiting for new packs because most of those have been released with glitches, bugs and a serious lack of innovative game play. This wash, rinse and repeat of themes has become a bit boring after 20 odd years, so I'll just stick with what I have and mod the heck out of 3 and 4, and tweak both games until I get the game play I want out of them. To be totally honest here, I can hardly wait for Sims4 to end so I won't be forced to update my game every month. I get my mods all updated and my game running beautifully, I'm having a great time then bam, we get another update, that I would prefer not to have, but if I play in off line mode I get locked out of the Gallery. I don't like being told what I can and cannot do with a game I have paid a lot of money to play. And subscription services are just one more way we lose our control over what we want as players. No thanks. I'm definitely not going down that road.

this ^^^ in bold. Those updates get me everytime, and what about repairing game :D Takes so long when you have a lot of the packs.

doogerie wrote: »

I know its not for me. I've read some comments where some players wouldn't mind it and I guess that's normal because not everyone likes the same thing.
    While I don't dislike those who want it, I say live and let live, I know its not for me.
    Will it kill the franchise, Idk I've read comments from people all over the internet and I think they lost a lot of players already.
    People are playing other games, I know I am.
    Loanet wrote: »
    As if releasing paid DLC so reguarly isn't close enough to subscription as it is? Ugh.

Concerns about this have made me turn my attention towards Paralives - I don't want to get carried away, but The Sims SO badly needs competiton.

Me too have been watching paralives development, and I play other games, and still play TS2 and TS3 a lot.
    Done with Country living already ? Wow that was fast :D
    Was reading there are little stumps for rabbits or something did you explore those yet :)
    Just saying doesn't say much for the game if people see all there is to see in a few months.
  • temporalgodtemporalgod Posts: 800 Member
    I'm not ready to move on just yet, not until we have at least twice the amount of Sims 3's occults in Sims 4, we're barely have a quarter done.
    I'm not ready to move on just yet, not until we have at least twice the amount of Sims 3's occults in Sims 4, we're barely have a quarter done.

ok :)