Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Subscription Services in the Sims Yes or No?

Comments

• lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always
    Sims is the only game I play. It is the only game I've played since it came out, other than the rare occasion I dabbled with something the kids had on one of our consoles. So even a subscription service that simply included Sims would be a waste for me. I've never even looked at EA play.
    It's also worth noting that even though my kids and husband all do play lots of other games, none has ever played anything that has a monthly fee.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    No, I am not okay with paying each month to play the game. I want the base game and packs, DLC to be sold for standard prices like always

As much as I enjoy the Sims 4, I have no interest in paying for a subscription or playing with other players. The Sims would lose all of its appeal if I had to rent the game.

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited February 2021
    67619042.jpg
    OH HELL NO!!!

That's a hard pass if they make Sims 5 subscription based.

I've already given the middle-finger to EA regarding Sims 4.

That'll be both hands in the air middle fingers out-stretched if they try to make Sims 5 a "rent to play"
    Sthenastia wrote: »
    I told you that TS5 will probably be a huge disappointment.
    Guess it's in good company then...
    The_Sims_4_Box_Art.png
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • AnnoyingTigerAnnoyingTiger Posts: 509 Member
    If they make it a subscription service to play the Sims, I won't be playing it anymore. Money is tight and I can't afford to pay monthly for it. I've had to get rid of all my subscription services and games over the years because we just can't afford it. With the packs, I can save up the money while still playing what I already own, or I can wait for them to be on sale. I will be very disappointed and sad if they switch to a sub service :(
    ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ Life's Greatest Adventure, The Morgan Legacy ฅ^•ﻌ•^ฅ
    ntlW6ly.png
  • GamecubeLover26GamecubeLover26 Posts: 34 Member
    I've always had a problem with the extraordinary amount of DLC and microtransactions the Sims franchise churns out. It's ridiculous. A subscription service would be the final nail in the coffin for this dying franchise.
  • Chocaholic523Chocaholic523 Posts: 61 Member
    Other
    I genuinely have no idea how I would feel about it. I guess it depends on prices. Like, would it be something like club penguin or toon town where you can play the game for free (figuratively, I'd assume you'd have to buy the base game at least), but then pay monthly for premium stuff (like you did for puffles, certain clothes and furniture, etc). That, I guess I'd understand? But I'd honestly hate it, personally.

Now, if it was like, you pay for the base game, and then pay a subscription every month, but all future DLC is free? I think I'd be fine with that.

But what if it were like GTA V Online in a way? Like, you buy the main game. But then they give you free DLC. Would there be microtransactions? Probably, we all know how GTA loves to make cool things stupidly hard to get so that people result to being willing to pay real money just to afford certain things. Not exactly behind a paywall, but either you gotta work stupid hard to get enough money for it, or you can just whip out your wallet. (Kinda gives me TS3 store vibes, ngl.)

Honestly, I'd rather Sims to stick to what they have now, with just the flat rate for different packs. As long as they have the content to back it up.
    Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0wSZ0g-hej0eCHccSeLaUA
  • Chocaholic523Chocaholic523 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2021
    Other
    Also, I feel like subscriptions really only work for online/multiplayer games. Because that's the incentive of paying the subscription, playing online with others. I don't think it would really work for a game like the Sims.

It's like with Neopets. They have a subscription service so you can get extra, nicer features. But then you still gotta pay for stuff at the NeoMall. I really hope they don't go this way. That would be so sad.
    Opinions are like a$$holes; everyone has one.

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0wSZ0g-hej0eCHccSeLaUA
  • mitchiebanjomitchiebanjo Posts: 172 Member
    I have a blizzard acct because I want access to the game so when I feel like playing even though sometimes I don't play for 2 or 3 months I can load it up and kill stuff. I would never play any other game that required that. Especially Sims. Their belief that they can make money that way is stupid. Wow provides a huge world and tons of varied play for the price. What is EA gonna offer for their desired money grab. I don't actually play with others in Wow. I pay for the access and excellent managing of the game that Blizzard has to do to keep a huge game like Wow running. I don't see EA managing much of anything. They have proven their willingness to lie to their consumers so you can count on that to happen.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    The trouble with subscriptions is that you have to keep on paying them to play the game. I'd stop and keep what I have already and not pay that.

There are too may sites that need subscriptions and Patreon these days and you have to pick what you want carefully, as otherwise you'd have no money left.
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    No, absolutely not. I don't play World of Warcraft anymore because I couldn't justify paying for it when I only get to play occasionally. I kind of understand a subscription for that kind of game, with it being a mmorpg and all.
    I work full time, so gaming, for me, is a casual downtime thing that I use to relax. I would definitely not pay a subscription to play a Sims game.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    edited March 2021
    Other
    The thing is, my life is not revolving around gaming only. I would prefer to own the game without having to pay the “access fee” whenever I feel like I want to play it.

I would prefer to have an option. I play offline, so the online feature is something that is not necessary for me to enjoy the game.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • shadowphantomnessshadowphantomness Posts: 9 New Member
    I would not pay for a subscription to the Sims as I do not enjoy the idea of not owning the game and having the possibility of losing access to it at any time I cannot make the payment. Even if EA used the RuneScape model with the free base game and membership subscription for additional features it would still harm those with less stable Internet connections and slower PCs such as myself.
  • Randie_ReignsRandie_Reigns Posts: 59 Member
    When I hear subscription, I think about current games that have gone that route. You pay a big price for the disc, then get it home and you can't play it unless you give them money every single month. No thank you. I will not buy a subscription to play game and I will not buy a 100% online game.

I like the online features we have now. The gallery and I wouldn't mind a private neighborhood where I can play with my friends. But I do not want to play with the whole world. I play games to escape the real world. Playing those kinds of games, where we run into bullies and foul mouthed creatures. Not to mention underage players posing as adults. Pedophiles looking for underage players. Cheaters. Hackers. This does not appeal to me.

I would pay for an optional season pass, so I can have DLC when it comes out. It's always cheaper.
    And I don't mind stores. I love browsing catalogs and buying more items, but the item prices in the past were too much. Be more reasonable and I'll welcome microtransactions back.
  • LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,174 Member
    I don't like to subscribe to any services because sometimes I can stay months without using them.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Assuming any accuracy to this apparent link between a job description and the potential of it being in game (and it being reckless speculation)?

I have no intention of paying a subscription to play TS5 and its content, not now or ever in the future (all assuming accuracy once again).
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,355 Member
    I'm sick to death of subscription-based anything. I've cancelled everything except Netflix, which comes free with my phone plan. Every single channel and every single YouTuber (with Patreon) wants you to pay a subscription to access premium content. Nope. I'm done.
  • ghamrick75ghamrick75 Posts: 134 Member
    Other
    Based on the options given, I am voting other.

Like most folks here, I would prefer at least a version of Sims 5 that was a set in price from the "base game" and all the normal DLC items like "expansion packs", "game packs", and "stuff packs". I don't even have a problem with "kits" as an optional microtransaction based thing. (As long as they work as advertised and are interesting.)

BUT here's the thing: If Sims 5 had a "strictly online component" where we uploaded "a Sims household" and got to play with other Simmers online then I don't see it not being either some sort of "subscription service" which I am more or less fine with or some sort of microtransaction heavy live service which would be more problematic.

I don't know for sure if I would venture on to it but I would consider it if it was a basic subscription service type game that included "all the DLC" in the price of the subscription.
    Origin ID: ghamrick75
    (I'm been redoing my gallery stuff so bear with me. FYI: I never use CC on my gallery builds. I rarely use MOO.) I am usually more pleased with my room builds than my lot builds.

“I have never met such weird yet serious and earnest people.” ― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums
  • Ersa_MiddletonErsa_Middleton Posts: 697 Member
    edited March 2021
    Considering that the game costs more than most people's car payments(maybe even house mortgages), I think it's a little unfair to switch to a subscription model.
  • Sue_D_NimSue_D_Nim Posts: 2,553 Member
    Not just no but H*ll no.
  • hymnhehimhymnhehim Posts: 518 Member
    Yes, I have no problem paying a price each month to play with new content (DLC, packs) but I don't want to pay subscription for the base game.
    I do not want any subscriptions, however it would kind of make sense for the packs to be a subscription.. idk
    Hey, I'm Milo (he/him)! I love The Sims 4, and I've been playing it since December of 2020. My Sims bestie and forums bestie is Gonnawin1111, aka V.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 783 Member
    EA will lose millions of players if it's going to make Sims 5 a subscription service. I don't think EA is going to be foolish enough to pull that unless they want to lose money and loyal players.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • DistantDialtonesDistantDialtones Posts: 8 New Member
    If the Sims were to be subscription based, I would more than likely stop playing all together. I'm still even disappointed that the packs costs so much, when the Sims 4 came out it felt like such an underwhelming and unfinished game, and even with a few of the pack releases it felt like they were fully done when they were released. Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy the packs that interest me the most.
  • ThriorThrior Posts: 612 Member
    edited September 2021
    Heck no. Would be another reason for me to skip the game and be done with the franchise. Current DLC is already overpriced (which is why I only buy it during sales) but subscription is a whole other beast, especially when these days everything and their mother wants subscriptions. It's "rent to play" whereas with the current system you can pick the content you want, pay for it when you want (maybe during a sale) and play it when you want. Doesn't matter if you're suddenly hit with harsh financial times. You can enjoy the content you already bought whereas, if it was a subscription service... well, I guess no Sims for you at all till you get to a better financial position.

Also, on a personal level, subscription type of games/services just don't work with me because I operate on "whims". Sometimes I just feel like playing a particular game for a couple of days, then can have months long hiatuses in-between. Sometimes I stick with one game for a long time, sometimes I rapidly jump between different games. It all depends on how I feel. I don't want to feel like I'm forced to invest time in this continuous manner in order to get my money's worth instead of operating in this natural "I play when I feel like playing" way I do now. There's been many games I have bought but only actually started playing after months and that works just fine. They allow me to invest my time and money in a way which gives me all the freedom. I also only get the stuff I'm actually interested in so any arguments about "subscription would be cheaper" is complete hogwash. Subscription service would be constant canceling/re-enabling or accepting the fact that I'm wasting money for a service I don't use most of the time and which has features I don't even care about. No thanks.
    Post edited by Thrior on
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    edited September 2021
    No! Hell no! Knowing EA and looking at games like The Sims Mobile they would be starting to sell color swatches for the objects.

EDIT: Why on earth the opposite of heaven is censured? :D
  • EliteGirlEliteGirl Posts: 537 Member
    edited September 2021
    Count me out. I refuse to play “The Sims 5” if it has a subscription fee. I can’t afford to pay a subscription fee when it comes to a subscription fee, which is why I refuse to get “The Sims 5” if it has a subscription fee.

Instead, I will play “Little Sim World”:
    https://lsw.gg/
    https://twitter.com/littlesimworld?lang=en
    Post edited by EliteGirl on