Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 Has Reached Next Stage in Development! (Unreal Engine)

Comments

• Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    logion wrote: »
    Epic (the creator of Unreal Engine) released a demo today of their MetaHuman Creator. Which is a browser-based app that lets developers and creators create real-time 3D character models in "less than an hour." and bring them to life through animation (like Maya for example like Maxis uses) or motion capture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3F1vZYpH8c

Definitely reminds me of CAS in the sims. I wonder if Maxis could have use of this when building their sims5 prototype. I'm not sure this level of detail would be possible in a sims game but who knows?

Very impressive stuff, creation-wise, but I would hate those graphics in The Sims. I think they should maintain a stylized realistic look, but with way more detailed textures, foliage, shading, water graphics, wind/water physics, etc. in The Sims 5. I'd wager it'd look very pretty.
  • DivinylsFanDivinylsFan Posts: 1,278 Member
    Technology development and evolution speeds up as it goes along, especially when there's more money going in. That is how the Covid vaccines have come so quickly compared to previous. I would say they have done very well since the lockdowns and such. Think about the run on home wares, and attire, gardening ... This boom would be funding the new product development.
    I hope they do make it soon, I hate that there's no real support for 3 anymore and I just can't get over the plastic, babyishness of 4. I bought the base of 4 upon release, I even pre-ordered it. I have never bought any expansions since, ever, because I don't like it! I thought I liked their faces, more than 3 because they were similar to 2 in being able to be unique, with unique bodies, and more range in voices, but since then I've seen them all over the forum of course, and can see they're pretty much all the same, unless there's a favourite look everyone is getting stuck on.
    Combine the gameplay and look of 2 and 3:
    Mmore realistic but no way as realistic as MetaHuman, that's just disturbing
    Create a style and open world
    Cars
    Visitable workplaces
    Realer, more interactive babies and don't skip toddlers this time.
    AND
    Put ALL of the occult and supernatural stuff in one expansion pack to be miss-able, or have an option to switch them OFF.
    BUT
    Rotational play with aging settings choices of 4

I remember you from university, I still have your story.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I feel like the Sims 2 captured the realistic feel but also the cartoony one at the same time and I would love for them to find this "perfect mix" again.
    I always felt like the Sims 3 sims were a bit too "oatmeally" and the Sims 4 sims while they look really good are for me a bit too much on the cartoony side that I feel like I'm playin with characters from a kids show.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,126 Member
    Ugh! Sims 5 looks too creepy for me.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited February 2021
    SERVERFRA wrote: »

That’s not sims 5.
    It’s a new character creation tool in Unreal Engine that the developers of Sims 5 could potentially use to create CAS.
    It doesn’t mean CAS or sims will look like these. And I doubt it/ they will.

@SERVERFRA Not only is this false, people are actually liking it too. Guess the bias against a new Sims game is strong in this community...
  • SimSpockSimSpock Posts: 273 Member
    Epic (the creator of Unreal Engine) released a demo today of their MetaHuman Creator. Which is a browser-based app that lets developers and creators create real-time 3D character models in "less than an hour." and bring them to life through animation (like Maya for example like Maxis uses) or motion capture.

Definitely reminds me of CAS in the sims. I wonder if Maxis could have use of this when building their sims5 prototype. I'm not sure this level of detail would be possible in a sims game but who knows?

Wow! That's impressive. The uncanny valley is upon us.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member

@SERVERFRA Not only is this false, people are actually liking it too. Guess the bias against a new Sims game is strong in this community...

Its a very strong negative bias. People dont want Sims 4 to end because theyve feel like theyve wasted their money over the years and it 'needs more work'/'isnt finished' 🙄 i say the definition of insanity is supporting he same game over and over again and expecting different results lol

(This is a generalization don't come for me 😂)
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    SimSpock wrote: »

Wow! That's impressive. The uncanny valley is upon us.

It's very realistic that I no longer feel the uncanny valley,

Resident Evil Vendetta, Final Fantasy Kingsglaive and Final Fantasy 15 had this strong uncanny valley feel to them.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited February 2021

Its a very strong negative bias. People dont want Sims 4 to end because theyve feel like theyve wasted their money over the years and it 'needs more work'/'isnt finished' 🙄 i say the definition of insanity is supporting he same game over and over again and expecting different results lol

Some people don't want Sims 4 to end because they like it and want it to do more. That seems more possible the more time goes on and a lot of people have come over from Sims 3 later on and find they like it.

This is another generalization but it does appear to have 33 million players on my side from what I see from EA.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/02/04/the-sims-4-has-reached-over-33-million-players/
    Simburian wrote: »

Some people don't want Sims 4 to end because they like it and want it to do more. That seems more possible the more time goes on and a lot of people have come over from Sims 3 later on and find they like it.

This is another generalization but it does appear to have 33 million players on my side from what I see from EA.

https://simscommunity.info/2021/02/04/the-sims-4-has-reached-over-33-million-players/

@Simburian Again these aren't necessarily sales but people who have at one point downloaded the game over the last 6 years, keep in mind the game was sold for free or for under 5$. This doesn't mean that 33 million people like the game or want it to continue nor that they actually play the game regurarly.
    @StrawberryYogurt Is also talking about the people who claim that because they have spend so much money on a game that they feel is incomplete then EA is obligated to give them new content till they are satisfied and the release of the Sims 5 would mean all their money went to waste.
    That is simply incorrect, those people know what they were spending their money on and if they dislike the packs why do they keep buying more? Also these people need to realize that the Sims 4 won't be taken away from them if the Sims 5 releases, they will still have their product they spent their money on. So if they are dissatisfied, then they should learn to make better decisions next time.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

@Simburian Again these aren't necessarily sales but people who have at one point downloaded the game over the last 6 years, keep in mind the game was sold for free or for under 5$. This doesn't mean that 33 million people like the game or want it to continue nor that they actually play the game regurarly.
    @StrawberryYogurt Is also talking about the people who claim that because they have spend so much money on a game that they feel is incomplete then EA is obligated to give them new content till they are satisfied and the release of the Sims 5 would mean all their money went to waste.
    That is simply incorrect, those people know what they were spending their money on and if they dislike the packs why do they keep buying more? Also these people need to realize that the Sims 4 won't be taken away from them if the Sims 5 releases, they will still have their product they spent their money on. So if they are dissatisfied, then they should learn to make better decisions next time.

Your guess is as good as good as mine on how many of the 33 million stayed with the game. I bought Civilisation 5 and only played it for a day so can understand that many might find Sims 4 not to their liking in the same time.

I've always looked at Sims 4 as a bit of a jigsaw with packs adding to one another's game play and I think I was right but they haven't done it as well as I hoped. I do have the lot though and use objects and lots all over each world that I have.

Don't you feel a bit let down though when you have a game that you love and the makers give up on it and don't update it anymore? I would when Sims 4 ends.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    Don't you feel a bit let down though when you have a game that you love and the makers give up on it and don't update it anymore? I would when Sims 4 ends.

It depends for me, if the next game is better and has less restrictions and more of the things that I was hoping TS4 would had, then I personally won't feel let down at all. If the next game turns out to be even less fulfilling than TS4 and has even more dictated gameplay rather than being the traditional sandbox, then I'll mourn that TS3 stopped being updated in 2013. I just keep hoping that TS4 was an anomaly and that the next version will go back to what we were more used to in the other iterations and that's it not the standard of how things are to come. In my mind, TS4 is almost a totally different type of game.

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I don't think @SERVERFRA is bias against a new Sims game because she thinks it looks creepy to her
    also there was nothing false about what she said it looks creepy to her not everyone has the same taste in art
    @SimmerGeorge I would hope you could till that the sims in sims 5 are sims the first time you see them
    that npc there using looks like any other game these days
    more for sim kids and more drama please

@Simburian I didn't really feel a let down when the Sims 3 or the Sims 4 was announced. I was excited to see change and experience new more advanced things with my Sims. And the Sims 2 which is my favorite is a game I can still play whenever I want to and still do.
    This is how franchises in video games work, one game last a certain amount of time and then comes the next one. It's like that with all games. The Sims 4 had its time and is only getting older.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited February 2021

Your guess is as good as good as mine on how many of the 33 million stayed with the game. I bought Civilisation 5 and only played it for a day so can understand that many might find Sims 4 not to their liking in the same time.

I think the sims4 has a huge amount of returning players because they keep releasing DLC often which brings them back and keep players returning to the game, this is why they often mention it during their financial meetings. I think they have said they have 10 million active users, that's a huge number though... steam releases their usage data publicly and some of the most popular games on steam reach maybe 1 million at most. So my guess is that their usage data goes very much up and down, up when they release a pack and down a lot when there is nothing that's being released.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If it's a new engine it'll probably be a completely different type of game. I can't know what that'll mean though.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member

I think the sims4 has a huge amount of returning players because they keep releasing DLC often which brings them back and keep players returning to the game, this is why they often mention it during their financial meetings. I think they have said they have 10 million active users, that's a huge number though... steam releases their usage data publicly and some of the most popular games on steam reach maybe 1 million at most. So my guess is that their usage data goes very much up and down, up when they release a pack and down a lot when there is nothing that's being released.

I agree. And that's why they left the ongoing store and decided to have many more packs. The expectation, the announcements... bring the hype up. These moments are high selling points and moments to get people engaged again.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    This part scares me dmE5YBh

Cant show for some reason but here is the link. https://simscommunity.info/2021/01/25/maxis-is-preparing-development-for-the-sims-5s-create-a-sim/
    It talks about subscription in there.

I don't get why EA/Maxis would want to lose billions of dollars or have people switch to competitors like Paralives. Because that's what's going to happen if EA/Maxis is foolish enough to make Sims 5 an online only game that people will be forced to subscribe to.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,185 Member

@Simburian I didn't really feel a let down when the Sims 3 or the Sims 4 was announced. I was excited to see change and experience new more advanced things with my Sims. And the Sims 2 which is my favorite is a game I can still play whenever I want to and still do.
    This is how franchises in video games work, one game last a certain amount of time and then comes the next one. It's like that with all games. The Sims 4 had its time and is only getting older.

I just hope there is mega patch to improve gameplay, and bug fixes.
    Well, you all can have it. I'll stick to Sims 3 & 4, thank you very much.
    Well, you all can have it. I'll stick to Sims 3 & 4, thank you very much.

@SERVERFRA Then why come into this thread?
    We were all just trying to point out that the video posted of a character creator is not the Sims 5 nor is it confirmed it will look like that. Seems like you were confused.
  • WolfiumWolfium Posts: 2,672 Member
    The humans in that sneak peak are way too realistic. Games are becoming movies. That works well in case of TLOU, but Sims looking like that... Uncanny valley.
    I was talking about the creepy realistic graphics that's going into Sims 5.
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    I was talking about the creepy realistic graphics that's going into Sims 5.

Hoe do you know it will have creepy realistic graphics?
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.