Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are there no builders that also thoroughly play in their creations?

Comments

• TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    This has been such an issue for me for months.

I laugh so hard that some of people's most beloved builders are actually terrible at building! Like, it's a beautiful prop and no shame in designing props (it's the sims, do whatever) but let's not call it a build when it's a design.

I wish that there were options to click "design" or "playable" to make the gallery useful...though we all know that trash people are just gonna click "playable" no matter what.
    Simming for twenty years...
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    DevSims91 wrote: »
    I honestly forget to put half the cheats needed to play those houses because they never put that you need to use those cheats before you put the house in game.

I recently downloaded one of my own builds (built with every cheat there is and maximum clutter!) coz I wanted to expand on it but forgot to put in any cheats beforehand.... TBH I was shocked at how little had effect it had. I lost maybe a couple of bits of furniture and a few windows, that was it!
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited February 2021
    I just moved my Sims permanently into Deli's Rental. Two glaring mistakes (To be fair, apparently the Devs mucked about with the builds after they were approved, as James points out in his videos) and some minor ones.

1. No route from the Master bedroom to the kitchen without literally circling around the entire house. I had to move a dresser and the fridge and put a door into the bedroom from the kitchen.
    2. No trash bins. At all. Inside OR outside.
    3. No "shoes" sign, a small oversight I am sure but glaring in a "Japanese" build with the new "toys".
    4. Lots of clipping from greenery. A pet peeve of mine.
    5. Too much light. Again. Every room is like an operating table.
    6. Edit: Master Bedroom Window glaringly off-center. Also lamps in several places.
    7. Outer Courtyard somehow counts as "inside" by shoe rules. Probably a bug; fixed by deleting a section of fence and putting it back, so not her fault, but still annoying.

Post edited by Beardedgeek on
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I always have restaurants in my game, so reading this thread has been very helpful in showing me the issues I'd need to look out for. Thanks Beardedgeek! :)
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    Unless there's a trash bin in a screenshot of the house I'm building, I always forget them. You'd think that because I know I do, that I would remember now... but no... I still always forget.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    edited February 2021
    lisamwitt wrote: »
    Unless there's a trash bin in a screenshot of the house I'm building, I always forget them. You'd think that because I know I do, that I would remember now... but no... I still always forget.

I put at least 50% of the blame on the Devs for not testing these. If we are talking about Game Changer made official lots, be it in Snowy Escape or Eco Lifestyle, they should still be tested as official builds. As fun as we all have with the "Missing toilet" in Get Famous, one would think they would be on their toes (and with "they" I mean both Game Changers and Devs) and test and check the submitted lots.

(Especially since certain GC's make a living of posting "Rating videos" of "Official EA builds" while making glaring mistakes in their own).
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    I just moved my Sims permanently into Deli's Rental. Two glaring mistakes (To be fair, apparently the Devs mucked about with the builds after they were approved, as James points out in his videos) and some minor ones.

1. No route from the Master bedroom to the kitchen without literally circling around the entire house. I had to move a dresser and the fridge and put a door into the bedroom from the kitchen.
    2. No trash bins. At all. Inside OR outside.
    3. No "shoes" sign, a small oversight I am sure but glaring in a "Japanese" build with the new "toys".
    6. Edit: Master Bedroom Window glaringly off-center. Also lamps in several places.
    7. Outer Courtyard somehow counts as "inside" by shoe rules. Probably a bug; fixed by deleting a section of fence and putting it back, so not her fault, but still annoying.

I have my game opened and checked because I thought the no shoe sign was weird. There is one hanging by the front door. It is a black and white sign. When I clicked it my sim took her shoes off and when she entered the outdoor courtyard she placed them back on.

K944GOT.jpg

There is the new trash bin by the counter island. I did not find an outdoor bin but it is an easy fix. The window could be moved as well. This has already been discussed here by other builders how easy it is to sometimes miss an item or two. I will take an overnight break and reassess my build before uploading and even then still might accidentally leave an object out. Believe me I have felt a little bad when that happens.

fYp4K1I.jpg

The lamps are also used for a decorative touch and not just lighting. I agree some of the subtle saucers could be removed but sometimes the lighting can change the color of objects, for example two shelves of the same color can read differently, one can appear darker. I think placement of the saucers are key, I tend to place them more in corners and switch the remaining ones out when building.

Clipping is a big pet peeve of mine too when it comes to my builds. I didn't see any in this lot?

As for the master bedroom I did not have a problem with it. In most RL builds you would not have a door from the kitchen to the bedroom.

I get that when you share your designs or any creative work you open yourself up to criticism. Sometimes too much can be really draining and people will just stop sharing. For most of the players who share on the gallery this is a hobby and but some people here act like we should treat this like a paying job.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
    edited February 2021
    @trophy this is weird.

I am 100% sure I did not see a shoe sign inside the door. I know, because I looked close at that wall becasue there is no shoe rack or equivalent at the door so I was deleting that pot to put the winter clothes mountan hooks in along the wall.

Regarding the trash bin in the kitchen tho... That one is probably on me; I did experiment with replacing that window with a door, and apparently it must have deleted the trash can automatically? However it should have popped back into existence when I undid the change (as in using the Undo button).

Btw I put the door where the fridge is on that picture; it is definitely beyond impractical to have to walk along the house like in an IKEA floor plan to get to the kitchen. It might be acceptable for most players for a Rental, since my experience in Selvadorada is that i virtually only use the rental for sleeping and absolute nothing else, spending all day every day doing the activities in question (skiing / jungle exploring) and never setting a foot in the rental except for sleep.
    Point is the door is opening up where the wardrobe is in the original build, which is around a corner and a wall seen from the bedroom, so it actually works really nice.

Clipping: The pine by the outdoor fireplace clips right thru the fence in several places, so does the bamboo trees by the other end of the garden.
    edited February 2021
    @trophy this is weird.

Regarding the trash bin in the kitchen tho... That one is probably on me; I did experiment with replacing that window with a door, and apparently it must have deleted the trash can automatically? However it should have popped back into existence when I undid the change (as in using the Undo button).

I just removed the window and replaced it with a door, it did not delete the bin. My point is that during a simple renovation you missed something, it happens to all of us. Imagine now building a home or other structure from the ground up, trying to make it functionally and aesthetically pleasing. It is not that easy and things can get overlooked due to eye strain or mental fatigue. A player coming in with fresh eyes can spot these IMO little mistakes. If the item can be easily placed it does not seem like such a big issue.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • arlielarliel Posts: 1,458 Member
    Mine too.... I hear ya...
    I always forget mailboxes. Whenever I put one of my builds in a new game and load it up, I always end up with a mailbox in the middle of the house. :D
    In case one is curious:
    Arliel322 on Origin
  • manicobsessivemanicobsessive Posts: 1,111 Member
    I downloaded a restaurant from the gallery into my game yesterday and thought I would look out for any of the mentioned issues and test it out. Whoever it was that made it hadn't put a door into the kitchen. :# Kinda hard to serve food when the chef can't get to the chef station. :D
    I downloaded a restaurant from the gallery into my game yesterday and thought I would look out for any of the mentioned issues and test it out. Whoever it was that made it hadn't put a door into the kitchen. :# Kinda hard to serve food when the chef can't get to the chef station. :D

Have happened to me more than once. My guess is someone used MOO on the door and forgot to mention it was mandatory to place the restaurant.

There are SO many builders that takes for granted that everyone has MOO on all the time.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    It would help if they sorted out the gallery search feature. I own around 50% of content and it's a chore finding a build.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    New starter lot uploaded to gallery, fully play tested with no mods or CC.
    VVPeyuu.jpg

jG0W7ao.jpg

aWsCixN.jpg

This house is so amazing! Thank you! My sim is living there now.
    edited February 2021

Did you let the builder know in the comments section that they forgot the door? Just discussing it here does not help the builder.

And yes the gallery needs a lot of work. Try creating a build and then one of the photos a tree blocks the entire front of the house. Photos too small to see the interiors. As I build I upload to check the first thumbnail but it is so annoying we can not select our own photos.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • 83bienchen83bienchen Posts: 2,577 Member
    This one seems much more like personal taste to me than a mistake. I for one hate to play in builds that are poorly lit. The screenshots turn out so dark in such homes - I truely hate it.

Another thing I'd like to point out (again) is that lots that were working fine when updated can - and actually do often - get broken by a later patch. This is especially true for routing issues. Some lamps that could fomerly used above doors and on ceilings can now only be used on higher walls, for instance. Also one of my early lots was having a working bathroom when I uploaded it that ceased to work years later because the routing had changed. There is no way (at least no way I know of) to make changes to an uploaded build later on without deleting the whole thing - and thus losing comments and everything.

@trophy: I feel you. One of my latest uploads was a restaurant for Mt. Komorebi. I changed an older restaurant of mine for the purpose because the old one's bathrooms got unusuable after some routing changes (the lamps issue I mentioned above). The screenshot is just awful and of course no one wanted to download it although it actually is my personal favourite at the moment when it comes to function. I do use MOO though, so nothing that would be of any interest in this thread.
    Now now EA, don't be stinking up our lovely lavender bath with your shopping fart. - My TS4 mods - Gallery ID: 83bienchen
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,095 Member
    arliel wrote: »
    Mine too.... I hear ya...
    I always forget mailboxes. Whenever I put one of my builds in a new game and load it up, I always end up with a mailbox in the middle of the house. :D

I have at least one that I forgot the mailbox. Didn't realize it until I moved the house somewhere else later (my Sims were paying their bills on their phone). Whoops.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I'm intrigued if anyone has actually made a build using a single pack, as the name of the game seems to be use as many packs as possible.
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued if anyone has actually made a build using a single pack, as the name of the game seems to be use as many packs as possible.

To be fair that's why most Maxis builds work; they only use the base game and items from the pack they're in.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Downloaded a build the other day, there was a chair placed at a desk but it was placed slightly back and rotated to make it "look nice". You couldn't even sit at the desk because of it 🤦 The same build had a bed which sims couldn't reach, and the "dining table" was a console table which they'd put bar stools at so you couldn't even sit at the table either.. I really hate this focus a lot of builders have on making things look pretty regardless on whether it works or not
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member

The worst part seems to be that most of them use the nichest packs possible. I have most the packs just missing a few stuff packs but still I regularly find wallpaper or rugs missing as they feel the need to use the niche stuff packs barely anyone owns
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Downloaded a build the other day, there was a chair placed at a desk but it was placed slightly back and rotated to make it "look nice". You couldn't even sit at the desk because of it 🤦 The same build had a bed which sims couldn't reach, and the "dining table" was a console table which they'd put bar stools at so you couldn't even sit at the table either.. I really hate this focus a lot of builders have on making things look pretty regardless on whether it works or not

It possible that builder doesn't play the game at all, otherwise they would know a console doesn't work as a table even if it looks like one. We actually have high tables that can be used with barstools.

The worst part seems to be that most of them use the nichest packs possible. I have most the packs just missing a few stuff packs but still I regularly find wallpaper or rugs missing as they feel the need to use the niche stuff packs barely anyone owns

After reading through this thread I have actually tried to build like it's requested, i.e. no MOO, no all packs, etc. and I think it's quite difficult and annoying. The pack filter resets all the time and even with no MOO on there is still a chance that some objects won't be accessible due to half tile placement and one such incident became apparent only when I had two sims in the room. Also, you can't help using niche stuff if you want more details in your build, it just so happens that a lot of stuff with similar theme is spread out in so many packs.

• turmalina007turmalina007 Posts: 118 Member
    I have to agree with you. As amazing as those builds look from the outside,they are quite useless. They have a lot to say about Maxis original buids,but at least I can make them function somehow. Last time I downloaded some home for Glimmerbrook and it was so crowded with junk inside that I had no idea where any of my sims is in there. Then I decided to delete some junk and it was all floating around in the mid-air. I, of course suck at building,no question about it,but I could manage to build a boxy looking functional home if those tools in building mode were a bit more logical for an averege player.
  • CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member

I try to limit packs in most of my builds and have a few base game only or base game plus one pack builds.
  • dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Downloaded a build the other day, there was a chair placed at a desk but it was placed slightly back and rotated to make it "look nice". You couldn't even sit at the desk because of it 🤦 The same build had a bed which sims couldn't reach, and the "dining table" was a console table which they'd put bar stools at so you couldn't even sit at the table either..

I cant help feeling that you could of moved the chair and swapped the console table out for bar table with very little effort though. I think most of the time people dont put their builds on the Gallery for the benefit of other people to use as such...mostly they just like to share what they have created.
    Although a #playertested tag does help you know if most things are usable. Not all the time though. You have to accept that sometimes Sims will be Sims! (Ive just been playing a totally usable family home and yet still found a couple of bits of furniture randomly blocking Sims when they had been working fine for ages).

Maybe just accept that if you download other peoples builds you may have to tweak things? I just downloaded a lovely build filled with CC despite having no CC in game because I liked the shape of the building!