Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Haunted: A Paranormal Romance Comic (12/25/22)

Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
Picture this. You've spent your whole life feeling like an outsider. Parents, friends, peers: the rejections started when you were around five and never stopped coming. Now you've taken that mistreatment to heart and started causing your own worst problems. You've just lost your home and family. You wake up alone on the floor in a frigid apartment.

And during all this, you met the one person you're supposed to be with. After years of searching and giving up, you find out they've been there the whole time, waiting for you, and they're just as isolated and broken and nuts as you are. One problem. They died a hundred years ago.

Haunted is a retelling of the events in early Catastrophe Theory where Xiyuan Liu, mad sim genius that he is, decided autonomously to hit on the Von Haunt Estate ghost Lord and was right. If you like romances where both people are too crazy to end up with anyone else, this is for you.

(I learned to draw for this.)

FIRST COMIC
LATEST COMIC

Updates every other Sunday alternating with Catastrophe Theory
banner_both.jpg
Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
Haunted: Picture Oscar Wilde dating Willy Wonka, also Oscar Wilde is still dead
Post edited by Dollyllama108 on

Comments

• pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited November 2020
    Love your pictures! Have you posted this on webtoons?

I think people would like it and it’d get more exposure!

Unfortunately I only get one picture...no story. :|
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Dollyllama108Dollyllama108 Posts: 268 Member
    @pammiechick Yes, that is absolutely correct; that is what you should be seeing! Haunted is purely a comic with no written component and currently has only one page.

About Webtoons... interesting! I'm still trying to figure out how to promote this thing after utterly failing to promote my main story for years. I've looked into Webtoons and The Duck, but they both appear to be hosting sites. I don't want to host my comic on a separate site. But if I'm missing something and it is possible to promote the external WordPress site there, I'd totally do it!
    banner_both.jpg
    Catastrophe Theory: If, through loose ends, we could resume/Unrav'ling defects from the loom/And soften as the shuttle mends---/Then save for me a few loose ends!
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    @pammiechick Yes, that is absolutely correct; that is what you should be seeing! Haunted is purely a comic with no written component and currently has only one page.

About Webtoons... interesting! I'm still trying to figure out how to promote this thing after utterly failing to promote my main story for years. I've looked into Webtoons and The Duck, but they both appear to be hosting sites. I don't want to host my comic on a separate site. But if I'm missing something and it is possible to promote the external WordPress site there, I'd totally do it!

Oh good! I love it and will be following!

And yes Webtoons is a hosting site. You could do both. I believe many artists get discovered there. One I know got a graphic novel book deal with Harper Collins. Great exposure!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • mercuryfoammercuryfoam Posts: 1,156 Member
    Yes, that is absolutely correct; that is what you should be seeing! Haunted is purely a comic with no written component and currently has only one page.

Am so glad you clarified. I clicked 'next' a dozen times on my phone and couldn't get it to work and thought it was a phone incompatibility issue. :D
    Hahaha, oh dear. Comic Easel formats the navigation buttons automatically, and I guess it's unusual for comics to have only one page, so it's going to be like that for a hot minute. I'll check to see if there's a way to grey out the 'Next' button if you're already on the latest comic.

You're totally right in that I would get a wider audience if I hosted this on a comic-hosting site! The reason I'm holding off on it is that even though it's possible to publish in multiple places, I want the comic to only be hosted in one place: my own site. I know it's going to be harder for people to discover that way but it's a trade-off I'm willing to make. Maybe I'll come around to it in the future. Who knows?

And yay, welcome to the fold :)
    banner_both.jpg
    Now it has a second page!

The second page is mostly Yuan's parents yelling at him over voicemail: Haunted 1-2
    banner_both.jpg
    Fixed my privacy plug-in and can comment on the forums again. The new page drops in less than 24 hours, but why not just post the forum update for the previous one very, very late?

VIII Landgraab doesn't have bathroom curtains: Haunted 1-3
    banner_both.jpg
    On Page 4, we learn that references are good, especially if you just started drawing.

Points to anyone who spots the meta-joke first: Haunted 1-4
    banner_both.jpg
    My upstairs neighbors have loud feet and are awake at 4 AM, so instead of a new story chapter, there's a new Haunted!

Fwip: Haunted 1-5
    banner_both.jpg
    @DeafSimmer Thank you, and thanks for stopping by!!

What time is it? Creepy premade time: Haunted 1-6
    banner_both.jpg
    @DeafSimmer :) They're super sketch. They're like, all the sketch.

Man, that velvet is a challenge for someone who just started digital painting. But everyone has to start somewhere, and she looks fabulous!
    banner_both.jpg
    The mystery reveals more of itself---unless you've read the first four chapters of CT, in which case you're like "yeah, yeah, we all know what he did": Haunted 1-7
    banner_both.jpg
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    Ooooh this is amazing! :mrgreen:
    I really like your drawing style – Liu’s facial expressions are fantastic, and I love what you’re doing with light and shadow. The Fengs creeping away into the darkness while staring at Liu made me laugh and feel really bad for him at the same time.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
    @_sims_Yimi Thanks!!! The Fengs' relationship with Xiyuan is... special. This is the last time they mind their own business for 20 years going strong, because they're sim neighbors so you *know* they're five seconds from banging on the door to use his computer.
    banner_both.jpg
    What can't be said with words can be said with hair curls: Haunted 1-8
    banner_both.jpg
    We made it to the cover page!!

Last call if you want a cameo (I already have quite a few planned out for some great stories): Haunted 1-9 (Cover page)
    banner_both.jpg
    This one was the most ambitious by far. Eighteen different poses. EIGHTEEN.

Featuring simself or character cameos from @FeroshaCoutora, @mercuryfoam, @DeafSimmer, @ThePlumbob, and @CathyTea: Haunted 1-10
    banner_both.jpg
    @DeafSimmer You are correct---the guy my friend and I have been calling "stonks man" is Braeden! (That was my best effort for his super-fabulous hair.)
    banner_both.jpg
  • FeroshaCoutoraFeroshaCoutora Posts: 142 Member
    This one was the most ambitious by far. Eighteen different poses. EIGHTEEN.

Featuring simself or character cameos from @FeroshaCoutora, @mercuryfoam, @DeafSimmer, @ThePlumbob, and @CathyTea: Haunted 1-10

I am in the middle of squeeing about this on your blog but then I’m also on the forums for once in my life and I am so excited to have been included in not just any San Myshuno, but a Yuan-specific San Myshuno. Like. What.....is 2021 starting to shape up or what?

Is it too meta for me to point out how we all occupy this lovely, weird, corner of the internet and fit together like PUZZLE PIECES OMG THE PANELS ARE PUZZLE PIECES.

I’ll see myself out.
    Dark Family Comedy & Paranormal Romance

r0AD3AN.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,089 Member
    I'm sort of in love with Xiyuan's scarf. It's a character in its own right.
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @FeroshaCoutora YESSSS!!! And the puzzle pieces all look different but, you know, it's still cool-looking that way! Maybe 2021 will be the year I get fast enough to draw fanart on top of everything else...

@CathyTea LOL. Yes. It is. There's a ton of recurring symbolism (every page so far) that does have something to do with Yuan's scarf, but I won't spoil the fun this soon.

It's Sunday in some parts of the U.S.A., so you can make a case for this not being late: Haunted 1-11
    banner_both.jpg
    So, given that a character's getting on a subway in a comic written by someone who embraces the getting-slapped-by-a-hobo-in-Little-Korea parts of NYC, it's likely they'll run into a subway preacher---and because this is the Sim universe, the joke to be made there is super obvious but we're going to do it anyway.

Prophet Mickey tells how what it be: Haunted 1-12
    banner_both.jpg