Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

No Automatic Promotions

One day I hope you decide that the player should be asked if they want their Sim to take a promtion or not. Maybe in the next iteration if not possible in TS4. I can't remember if once the Sim got the skill or whatever if TS4 auto promotes the Sim, but I would enjoy a popup asking if I wanted the Sim to take it or not.

Thanks for reading.
"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

Comments

• Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Hm. That would certainly make certain things easier, such as getting the snagglefluster recipe. I usually do not fulfill the requirements until I am ready to move my sims on up, but more options is never a bad thing.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    @Calico45 in all these iterations the Sim has been given the promotion if they met the requirements but sometimes the player would prefer the Sim stay in their current position and they may have gained the skill needed etc. by accident or the Sim might have done it automously like playing chess etc. (Logic) etc. or any other skill or requirement. Then the game 'thinks' you set out to get them promoted when yes, they may have met the requirements but I would like to say No, not right now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @Calico45 in all these iterations the Sim has been given the promotion if they met the requirements but sometimes the player would prefer the Sim stay in their current position and they may have gained the skill needed etc. by accident or the Sim might have done it automously like playing chess etc. (Logic) etc. or any other skill or requirement. Then the game 'thinks' you set out to get them promoted when yes, they may have met the requirements but I would like to say No, not right now.

I do understand that; I have played since the very beginning (though it was near impossible, for me at least, to get promoted accidentally in the Sims 1 era due to the friendship requirements). In the same vein, I usually do not bother to increase required skills and what not until I want the sim to be promoted.

I personally do not have much reason to ever prefer lower career levels, besides maybe a more favorable work schedule, but I can understand that people would want such detail for this or that reason.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited November 2020
    I think the story in the player's head is more important to some of us than the ability to advance in a speedy way and or to advance at all. For instance a player might want to keep a Sim as a dishwasher (a rung on a ladder) because that is who the Sim is to that player. Maybe the player doesn't want for the Sim to become a head chef. Their story they are playing is about a hard working dishwasher. I think an option for promotions gives players more creative ability to play their way instead of always striving to improve a Sim's life. Promotions were never my goal, but the journey. I will add all these games have many nags to push a player to level up a Sim. I think it should be less of that, and more about the Sim and who that Sim is to the player.
  • mushroompickingmushroompicking Posts: 10 New Member
    I know this thread is a bit old, but here's a mod that does just that. https://sims4studio.com/thread/4254/aom?page=1&scrollTo=70892
    I agree 1000% that is should be something we get to choose because IRL promotions aren't automatically chosen just because you're good at your job. They have to be offered and asked... C'mon EA
  • ArarineArarine Posts: 250 Member
    Me on contract want automatic promotion for npc. Kinda strange that Bob is still dishwasher even Iggy is now adult or second generation really full of unemployer
    Wish more Recipe/harvestable/woodwork/craftableWish live in businessWish more interactive between sims and activityWish a lot of refresh and Better resize pleaseWish for another colour upgrade swatchWish for pool sliderFix the bug please