Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your Snowy Escape Rating!

Haven't done one of these since Discover University, but here it is: my "your _NEW Pack_ rating" thread :) Always love doing these & very curious to know how you guys feel about Snowy Escape! I'll add my rating later on below after I've played it (and, for that matter, have it, still waiting for the key lol).

Please remember, though, as always: this is supposed to be a helpful thread for those who are still on the fence about buying this pack. Feel free to voice your opinions, but don't go attacking others for theirs. And try to be a little objective - i.e. wait until you've actually played the pack, and remember that while the crashes many of us are experiencing right now are annoying, you should rate the pack, not the patch.

So, without further ado: on a scale from 1 to 10 - 1 being "I wish I could return this atrocity" and 10 being "Simtastic, best pack ever" - how would YOU rate Snowy Escape?

Your Snowy Escape Rating! 151 votes

2%
DragonAge_300905APottsSims4MagicalTalesBastet 4 votes
0%
2%
SusanaLeoteszajkaSimtown15Shae 4 votes
4%
candy8freindlylolMVWdeZTsnoepjes1210catmando830twinklestick Gordy 7 votes
7%
JaseHarukotyandoogerieTrimothRenato10Sigzy05estella_deeGodleyjeansizecsonElisdreamPlumbeeb 11 votes
9%
GoldmoldarGalacticGalutopiamoonJACKIEJOYTeeSeaChainzzLadyKynOnverserquinhobpTaraIris94onlyabidoangj1z1Simskristanetney52 14 votes
12%
Stace1234566IcewolfasimbsimKennziKaigeSappySifakasimmietimeRavager619vickigohNicocacola1992Reading_CorsairmusteniSimTrippyChazzzyDuskregnjomilejEliasVersaceReaganboganorenjiAicarpe_diem 19 votes
25%
Jderrick094brackencat31Kita5399alan650111aelias24love7680JueJueSimpatsyannAlrynnsennawalesPlatinumblondeMoon_Willowmollybrooke22ashcrash19halloweenchildkristenleighwhiteSelinaKylesvickyloofeetinstockingsEnkiSchmidt 39 votes
19%
Akl500PBluegaylebshag4lvNh6650IceyJMaryVannbabajayneelanorbretoninvisiblgirlsimgirl1010g01denswandragonfreakdavina1221emereMoonfoxNightcryEvaliynCeridwenStarfreeHearts4uabelhinha35 29 votes
15%
JadeleineSara1010Pjenpow01Kathy090660mcruddfriendlysimmerscchant86goodcakebaker62catloverplayerKatiardguezsmurf45bluetaydevBabykittyjadeGothicSimmerFraTacironknight35rjssimMissimay94comicsforlifebirdonawire 24 votes

Comments

• OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    It's a 6 for me, I like the theme of the pack but feel like there's a lot of missed opportunities and ways it could've brought something more.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I'll refrain from voting until I get a chance to play it, but I'm hopeful that it'll be one of my favorite packs.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    I'll refrain from voting until I get a chance to play it, but I'm hopeful that it'll be one of my favorite packs.

That's how it's intended, same for me! Looking forward to your rating!
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited November 2020
    Like with Island Living I rate Snowy Escape a 10 to based on things like the part of the world that is always snowy,the beautiful mountain,thundersnow,swimming in the lake around the waterfall,vending machines and so much more. The world alone is worth a 10 and even though the gondelas aren't interactive atleast we can click on the building and go in and the gondelas add beauty to the world. Oh and let's not forget the hotsprings aka new in ground hottubs that are exclusive to this pack.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I agree wth catlover lol but I'll hold off till I get the pack and share my thoughts next week but I just know it's a 10 😆😆😆
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    I'm with the rest of the group. I have pre-ordered so will be able to rate some time after midnight, EST. I'll be curious too to see how many actually like the pack.
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I actually like the pack though I haven’t really done much yet. I just had one sim that is in college spend a day on the slopes but he really couldn’t stay long.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    It hasn't been released here in the States yet. So I can't rate it yet.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,339 Member
    A perfect 10 for me. I love the scenery, the content, and my new favorite hair is in it. They did a really good job on this. I hope they continue going in this direction for new packs.
  • TashiTashi Posts: 46 Member
    I started playing at 9 a.m. and played until around 7 p.m I am crazy in love with this expansion pack! I downloaded via vpn/Japan, pre-ordered a couple days ago. I haven't even looked at the CAS items. I took my favorite sim and we spent the entire day practicing rockclimbing and skiing :) Both of us had a blast! I changed up a couple of lots... nightclub instead of a lounge, big multi-purpose spa on the 50x50 lot. and added 2 restaurants. I can't wait until tomorrow!!!
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited November 2020
    I gave it an eight. It's really enjoyable and probably one of the most fun expansions for a long time but it has faults...

I hate that I'm constantly seeing sims from the other worlds everywhere. It ruins the immersion of island an authentic Japanese world for me.

My sims seem to be sad a lot during their vacation from either being bad at winter sports or sharing sadness with other sims. I want them to be happy and enjoy their vacation.

I wish the world of Mt. Komorebi came with a restaurant instead of a lounge.

My game keeps crashing since installing the pack. It was fine before. I hope this will be fixed soon. It makes me feel a bit tense while playing.
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,595 Member
    Got to download this some hours ago and been playing with it up until now.

I do like what is offered in the pack, YET I feel like were definitely some things that were missed opportunities and things they could have explored. I know some complain about the snowy sports that should have been in Seasons, but unless there was a dedicated world for it like this can't see them having it unless there was like some huge obnoxious item to put on a lot (only thing that'd be like that is maybe a half pint for snowboarding? Would have liked to see that.) Gives me more of a reason to get my sims out of the house to be going on vacation and doing things. I really appreciate life stages from toddler and up able to participate in activities in this pack. Usually that gets overlooked, but this time around it really feels a like your sims can have a good family vacation when sledding with one another. :)

The festivals are about like the ones in City living, yet so far less bugged. They've been enjoyable with a lot of sims populating the area when something is going on there. Though without any event going on there it's pretty boring in the small part of town as there's only a food stand and vending machine, wish they would have put a bit more stuff to do there as it feels a bare. Very happy they brought vending machines finally to the game. Always missed them and added to community lots. Everything is just rather cozy in this new town. :blush:

Would have liked to see another culture skill much like Salvadorada. Futons, I REALLY wish they had made some. With the Kotasu table, just feels like it would have been perfect to give even a more authentic look for a Japanese home. The build/buy is very lovely has just the perfect items to make for any authentic, rustic japanese home or a little rental getaway. Combined with City Living there's so many various possibilities.

With the combination of Sentiments & Lifestyles I was surprised with how big a difference was made as Sims feels a lot less robotic and samey. It's really expanded more on them which to me help to define more personality with them which I has been missing a lot in the game. Think this had me more interested than anything as sims just seem to act a lot more accordingly with whatever relationship they have with other sims and having a particular lifestyle they go by as it's a way of having more traits. Not to mention them having them having a preference for eating utensils is really nice considering we get a LOT of recipes in this pack.

Haven't had the chance to explore rock climbing as that's next on the to do list~

The music is just lovely. Besides S-pop, there's japanese folklore music which is very soothing to listen to. Nice to listen to especially when your sim gets to hang out at the onsen. Hope there's in ground hot tubs in the future with how this functioned so nicely. I turned the lounge into a Kareoke bar and sims are having even more fun there. :p

Good pack to have though feel like it falls shorts between a game pack and expansion, much like Sulani but a step up from that. Definitely a lot more interesting than Star Wars and less linear. Probably more of a 7 once I play the rock climbing.
    5vJrxmT.png
    I'm really gonna have to hold off on rating this until they released an emergency patch or I might rate it a 3 out of pure frustration lol.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited November 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    I'm really gonna have to hold off on rating this until they released an emergency patch or I might rate it a 3 out of pure frustration lol.

Hey Trippy, I don't know if you saw this post. They are addressing the crashing issues that came in the patch. They need save files, so that might be something you can help them with. I expect we'll get another patch real soon.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/983645/crashing-with-the-november-10-update

Edit to say: apparently it's an audio issue? Disabling sound is supposed to make it stop crashing... but also means no sound until they fix it.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• stewbystewby Posts: 79 Member
    I gave it an 8 (would have been a 9 but I have a thing about even numbers, I know, weird).

Love the pack. Love Japanese theming and enjoying the building/furniture stuff.

Reason why not a 10?? My sim is constantly sad cause she keeps falling off the snowboard. We are currently going to university and doing the footie stuff so I don't have a lot of time. It's a shame that she keeps going to uni/football in a sad mood.

Other reason... Obviously, my sim now lives in a snowy climate. It's always cold. There isn't really enough clothing options for cold weather. The majority of tops are either cropped or t-shirts.
    I would love the option of layering clothes... so my sim could have on a festival t-shirt with an open jacket on top. Something like that.

On the whole, a really good pack though.
    :)

Hey Trippy, I don't know if you saw this post. They are addressing the crashing issues that came in the patch. They need save files, so that might be something you can help them with. I expect we'll get another patch real soon.

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/983645/crashing-with-the-november-10-update

Edit to say: apparently it's an audio issue? Disabling sound is supposed to make it stop crashing... but also means no sound until they fix it.

Hey yes I did see that, thanks for sharing! Currently waiting for my 100st game repair to finish, then I'll try playing with and without sound. If it continues to crash without sound, I'll probably give up til after the patch. Too much of a hassle :D Thanks again!
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    I bought this pack for the build buy and having read that a treadmill can be used for rock climbing experience.
    I can't find a treadmill that says it increases rock climbing skill. The only wallpaper that has a new look to it is the tile. The price is costly for bb so I gave it a 1.
    I bought this pack for the build buy and having read that a treadmill can be used for rock climbing experience.
    I can't find a treadmill that says it increases rock climbing skill. The only wallpaper that has a new look to it is the tile. The price is costly for bb so I gave it a 1.

Are you sure they meant the treadmill and not the rock climbing machine from Fitness Stuff?
  • DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member

Are you sure they meant the treadmill and not the rock climbing machine from Fitness Stuff?

I have to watch the videos with subtitles and the subtitles said treadmill. I can't remember which video it was.

I'm also pretty upset with having to make a new sim and she was 1/3 into aging up when I started playing the game. I had to add magic to her for the potion that resets her age to the start of young adult. Plus I'm having to grind her skills because the patch broke my builder sim's level 10 knitting skill by making it so she can't knit anything.

I have to give her the level 10 skills that my builder sim had which was, gardening, cooking, handy, programing, fitness, and logic. I'm not giving her knitting until I can do the aspiration. She has to have the gardening aspiration so she can put out fires. It took 9 hours to download the patch and 6 hours to download the EP. I've only got level 10 in cooking, handy, and gardening skills and still working on getting the gardening aspiration. Since the patch I have been grinding my sim and not been able to play the game play. So the pack gets a 1, it would have been higher if I got to play the game play.
  • mingusssssmingusssss Posts: 131 Member
    edited November 2020
    I like it a lot overall. The reasons why I don't give it a higher score are not so much gameplay-related, which of course it can always be better, for example, an actual shop instead of or in addition to the vending machine, a daycare for toddlers would have been cool - I left my toddler with an uncle so that the parents could live their best snowy life on vacation. Also Senbamachi I found to be a bit bland.

The critique that I have for it is similar to my critique for Jungle adventure. I feel like we get a whitewashed version of what households actually look like in those cultures. I can definitely say that about the Hispanic households in the game, because I'm Hispanic. I can't say I'm an expert in Japanese households but I've travelled a lot in Japan and have consumed a lot of Japanese media. Still, my opinion on this is just impressions. I appreciate that they had Simmers build for the pack but I am under the impression they built Japanese inspired western homes instead of just Japanese homes, it would have been so cool if they had given that chance to Japanese Simmers instead. (I understand I can rebuild everything or get stuff from the Gallery, but in my opinion it is a statement to have those builds come with the game and it is that statement what makes me cringe). I could be totally wrong about this, but it's how I feel.

On that same note, it would have been cool to have a culture skill like in Jungle adventure. Have the option for foreign sims to learn that some things that in their worlds are normal can be rude in Mt. Komorebi (at least that's something I loved to learn as a Hispanic visiting Japan).

Some things I LOVE is that there's lots of things for kids to do, I appreciate the addition of uniforms (purely for sentimental reasons - although I understand they can be bad irl), I always like it when they add new music and food. Love all the new activities and the addition of lifestyles. Love details like the polite introduction, eating utensils preference and the option to choose "footwear" for the house.

This is definitely very high up in my expansion pack tear list! I'm very excited I can finally have more realistic scenery for when I pull some story-inspiration from my favourite anime :)
    Post edited by mingusssss on
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    mingusssss wrote: »
    I appreciate that they had Simmers build for the pack but I am under the impression they built Japanese inspired western homes instead of just Japanese homes, it would have been so cool if they had given that chance to Japanese Simmers instead. (I understand I can rebuild everything or get stuff from the Gallery, but in my opinion it is a statement to have those builds come with the game and it is that statement what makes me cringe). I could be totally wrong about this, but it's how I feel.

Blueprints for Japanese homes could also have been used as a starting point. They aren't hard to find online.

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Only, just started playing it this morning so I can not give it a pure definitive rating until I see all it has to offer.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• KomuraKomura Posts: 229 Member
    Only real complaint so far is that I just wish the world was bigger, but that’s me with every pack.
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    SE has its flaws and I was skeptical at the beginning, but I can already tell that I am going to get a lot of mileage out of this pack. Nothing is crazy groundbreaking (though lifestyles do have potential), but I wanted Asian and winter themes and I got them. I'll be using this world all the time like Sulani, and I really appreciate all the small touches and crosspack.
  • SimpatsyannSimpatsyann Posts: 1,308 Member

Treadmills do not increase rock climbing skill; that would be ridiculous. The rock climbing wall increases it.