The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Neighborhoods are claustrophobic

This might sound a bit of a weird complaint, but I was thinking about the segmented off instanced neighborhoods in this game and how they bug me and I realized it's actually a claustrophobic feeling. And I think the reason is probably because I have very little control over any of it and am just sort of stuck with it.

If you don't like the scenery of a neighborhood, you're stuck with it.

If you don't like the walkbys, you're stuck with it.

If you don't like the other houses, you could go through and redesign every single one, but you still can't change the backdrop, so I don't know that it's gonna make much of a difference.

In open world games, you can't finely control everything, but they are also open world. There's lot of space to roam around in. Here it's not open world, it's extremely precise and confined environments, but you're also stuck with what you've got. Short of never zooming the camera outside of your house, there's no sense of having your own space.

At the very least, it would be nice to have some semblance of control over walkbys.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    Would like a blend of open or semi-open world and the TS2 approach of how we can determine the look of a neighborhood. Number, spacing, & size of lots, buildings, community/residential ratios & styles/types, it was all there. One of the packs even gave us the tools to modify the terrain. Everything was pair game, nothing was a fake backdrop.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,863 Member
    Would like a blend of open or semi-open world and the TS2 approach of how we can determine the look of a neighborhood. Number, spacing, & size of lots, buildings, community/residential ratios & styles/types, it was all there. One of the packs even gave us the tools to modify the terrain. Everything was pair game, nothing was a fake backdrop.

Hood deco IS fake backdrop. Difference is we can place those ourselves.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Lol, I just wonder will there be a day when our sim can walk to a bar (or other kind building on a lot) or can visit another house without having to wait on a loading screens. For example, sometimes I want my Sim to visit some place since they are standing in front of it, but just think forget it because it's too much of a hassle.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Lol, I just wonder will there be a day when our sim can walk to a bar (or other kind building on a lot) or can visit another house without having to wait on a loading screens. For example, sometimes I want my Sim to visit some place since they are standing in front of it, but just think forget it because it's too much of a hassle.

Yeah, it's a pain for sure. I even have a relatively fast load time and it's still off-putting.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Triplis wrote: »

Yeah, it's a pain for sure. I even have a relatively fast load time and it's still off-putting.

Mine doesn't take too long either. But right, it's still feels especially inconveniencing when your Sim may be standing right in front of the place they want to enter, lol.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • SilentFireflySilentFirefly Posts: 3 New Member
    There's zero excuse for an open world game to not work in these times *sigh*.
    I think if we'd be able to customize every lot/bg in a sectioned off place that it'd help, but as you say, we can't and it only makes things feel a little too boring
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I mean when this game came out they could have easily done at least an open-district world but I think because of the whole Olympus thing, they messed it up. Well hopefully the Sims 5 will be somewhat more open.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • SilentFireflySilentFirefly Posts: 3 New Member
    > @SimmerGeorge said:
    > I mean when this game came out they could have easily done at least an open-district world but I think because of the whole Olympus thing, they messed it up. Well hopefully the Sims 5 will be somewhat more open.

this isn't directed at you specifically, but at part of the fandom who says similar things: WHY do people want less innovation???
    This is EA! 2009 may have not been the best time to release an open world game, yet its 2020 and a number of fans rather return to a limited scope of something like Sims 3 on PS3?