Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Discover University dorms

I need help when it comes to moving into the university dorms. When moving into them, you leave your house. If no one lives in your house, will someone move into them? And if you left something behind there, can you go back and get it?

Comments

• Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,673 Member
    BethSims4 wrote: »
    I need help when it comes to moving into the university dorms. When moving into them, you leave your house. If no one lives in your house, will someone move into them? And if you left something behind there, can you go back and get it?

I never had a single sim move into a dorm, but I think your old home will be sold if you leave no sim there.

What I'd do, is grabbing a random sim from CAS or a NPC, have that sim live in your house while you are away, when you graduate, move back in and kick out the "renter". A place keeper like that will prevent the house from being sold.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Someone might move in if you have Fill Empty Homes selected in Game Options. You can just move the other sims out with Manage Households if that happens.

Anything you left behind should still be there if you sold furnishings when you moved out. You probably can't go back and get things while you are at University, because they don't belong to you any longer. However, they'll still be there if you move back to the same lot. (I did that with one sim)

Everything from the house should be in your household inventory if you didn't sell the furnishings. However, you can't use your household inventory while you are living in a dorm, so you will have to wait until you've graduated and moved back to a house to get whatever you left behind.
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,566 Member
    I had a situation where the four oldest kids in the household all went to Uni at the very same time. Shared a dorm and everything. It was fun. However, since one of the now YAs was a Global Superstar, I failed to unlock the security gate around the parents' home before they left. Dad invited them over for a visit, but I found them all in the street outside of the home. There was no way to unlock the gate, either, as they were no longer living on said lot. I wasn't inclined to have them all move back home, either. So, that's my story.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    BethSims4BethSims4 Posts: 113 Member
    Sketch793 I actually noticed this but even if I have Fill Empty Homes disabled, it doesn't work for some reason. Sims still move in.
  • Options
    LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    What if dorms had one room for noisy activities (such as video games or movies), and one room for quieter activities (such as homework, arts and crafts, board games, reading, meditating, research)?
  • Options
    Sketch793Sketch793 Posts: 1,218 Member
    @BethSims4 I've read that certain mods have their own settings that override the Fill Empty Homes setting. I think MCCP is one of them.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I still don't see the problem here... move into dorm, SELL furniture (that means the house will be as you left it). If the game moves someone in, you get the option to evict them when moving back in.

There is no issue, really.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek