Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 5 might be huge

2...Next

Comments

• Sakia90Sakia90 Posts: 46 Member
    SimsBro wrote: »
    I don't think they will go with realistic graphics for 5. A lot of people seem to like the cartoonish style of 4 - and let's be real, The Sims series as a whole has NEVER been one known for its graphics. I'd much rather they spend the budget on gameplay features etc.

A lot of people don't like it either. I think they should do a middle ground between cartoony and realistic.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sakia90 wrote: »
    SimsBro wrote: »
    I don't think they will go with realistic graphics for 5. A lot of people seem to like the cartoonish style of 4 - and let's be real, The Sims series as a whole has NEVER been one known for its graphics. I'd much rather they spend the budget on gameplay features etc.

A lot of people don't like it either. I think they should do a middle ground between cartoony and realistic.
    I think a middle ground would be the way to go too. I hope they pick a middle ground with gameplay too, not too realistic and not too RPG but a mix of both supernatural and humanoids. Sims have a hard time being exactly uncanny humans, they are robot copies at best why I call them humanoids.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    I don't want it to be super realistic, but I for sure prefer more alpha textures for walls, floors, clothing, objects, hair (no clay hair this time, please!!!!) The Sims can still be a little more cartoony than realistic, but I hate the mobile game look of TS4. I much preferred TS3's style (not the sims themselves, but the actual world and objects).

So yeah, a mixture to me would be very welcoming.
  • AquaGamer1212AquaGamer1212 Posts: 5,417 Member
    Why do people think that TS5 might be built with Unreal or Unity? The Sims always has had its own, in-house engine. They‘re not suddenly going to stop.

They could. And the speculation is from a job listing for Maxis Austin for someone who knew how to use the Unreal Engine. I think it’s time they stopped making engines that clearly don’t work as good as they should and move on.
    ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon_gif_fan_art_by_hazzaplumbob-d.gif

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Why do people think that TS5 might be built with Unreal or Unity? The Sims always has had its own, in-house engine. They‘re not suddenly going to stop.

They could. And the speculation is from a job listing for Maxis Austin for someone who knew how to use the Unreal Engine. I think it’s time they stopped making engines that clearly don’t work as good as they should and move on.
    A lot of developers it is the norm to know how to develop on Unity and Unreal Engines since they are both the most used engines with games otherwise no one will hire them. One of my friends was learning both for a mobile game he has been developing.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    Glad I'm not going anywhere near TS5. And that I still have years of content exploring TS4 :)
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

EA spent millions developing a game engine for an online social RPG only to shoehorn a life sim on top. I’m sure the goal was to use this tech for many years, spanning multiple Sims base games, but it’s garbage. Doesn’t do what it’s expected, can’t do what people want; and this was supposedly the best engine *ever* if the devs are to be taken seriously anymore. They talked up how this engine was easy to work with, capable, and in the 6 years following that they’ve come out and said the complete opposite. EA is going to milk this game for all they can get, since the original plan was shattered years ago. You can’t put bicycle wheels on a car and expect it to work, and you can’t just redesign the finished car to fit the wheels.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Call me anything but I wish that TS5 will only be released on PC so the resources, focus and budget aren't scattered on multiple platform
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Glad I'm not going anywhere near TS5. And that I still have years of content exploring TS4 :)

What content, sims 4 doesn't really have much
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    Polygon count has generally been rising in games over the years. However, with the advent of mesh shaders allowing developers to use very high-quality models with billions of polygons (as seen in the UE5 demo breakdown) and very high-resolution textures with little to no performance penalty, game install sizes may seriously start outpacing SSD price to capacity.

Current generation titles like Red Dead Redemption 2 (150GB) and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare & Warzone (200GB) are already moving the needle. It will be very interesting to see what happens when developers start taking advantage of new engine capabilities.

I spotted a video testing mesh shaders (which could be levereaged to create an open world Sims). Data sizes were quite notable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Bf_bnLlNT8
  • LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    I would like to see sims become ill with more illnesses than what they offer now. I would like to see them catch stomach bugs, flu, colds, food poisoning, bronchitis, or other illnesses that we experience in real life. I would also like to see epidemics and pandemics.

I would also like to see actual places on a globe. I would like the "neighborhoods" to consist of at least a few (or even several) different towns, cities, hamlets, or even more than one of these. If one of the towns does not have a public school, sims can go to school in a nearby town. I would like it if they could also interact with sims in different neighborhoods.

Another thing I would like is if "create-a-world" could be added into the game, and we did not have to add it separately. I would even like to be able to create neighborhoods with no roads, so that my sims would have to walk, cycle, or boat everywhere, instead of driving or riding in a taxi.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    what's even "HUG-er" the over-hyped consumers that think Sims5 is going to be the bomb-diggety. EA loves U!
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    Modern game development is a synergy between technical feasibility and corporate objectives. Regarding Sims 5, we don’t know about latter, but there’s plenty of information on the former to create discussions.

My discussion around the forum centres around (publicly known) technologies coming out now and in the near future that’ll give Maxis an opportunity to make Sims 5 a landmark technological achievement (given it’s a game with a large architecture component), more so than Sims 4 could’ve been even if it didn’t have limitations at an engine level.

EA’s corporate objectives could well and truly prevent that from happening. But that’s currently an unknown. People have great passion for the franchise and hope it’ll do well. So, for now, a healthy dose of optimism goes a long way.