Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do young people want?

124...Next

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Alwe1507 wrote: »
    Cynna wrote: »
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think that the young are bright and have the ability to learn and grow quickly and this version of the game is basically so dumbed-down - that it is an insult to think they can't handle something more creative and complex.

Build mode was dumped down in TS4, many love it because it's so easy, never mind it has ten thousand features missing that were in the other games. I don't know, I think the proof is in the pudding if people needed it so easy.

I'm not a huge builder, but I do try. What features are missing?

The one that I miss most is the cheat constrainfloorelevation true/false. It allowed builders to create all types of fascinating things, bridges, arches, split levels, attached garages on homes with foundations... One of my favorite homes in TS3 had a little Koi pond out front. In order to get to the front door, the Sims had to cross a little rope bridge over the water. It even dipped in the middle as a rope bridge should.

Which reminds me. Another great feature was the pond tool. Dig deep enough, a builder could reach a world's water table. All kinds of ponds and water features could be created. All TS4 has is the disturbingly round pre-fabricated pond.

Also, the previous games made it possible to remove single floor tiles with a simple click. With TS4, a simple click removes the entire floor in the room.

Those are three biggies, as far as I'm concerned. Even though some TS4 builders are quite creative, certain builds from the earlier games cannot be easily replicated.

I'm not sure that a cheat should be considered a lost function? 😂

You might have a point if the TS4 developers weren't heavily dependent on cheats in order to expand the functionality of their game. Cheats such as bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.showliveeditobjects are not only encouraged they're treated as full-fledged features. IIRC, the community begged the developers to improve or to make the moveobjects cheat more accessible because it was so integral for builds.

How are those examples any different from the constrainfloorelevation cheat that was heavily used in builds but also hidden behind a cheat wall? It existed in the last two games. In TS4 it does not and I miss it.

Well, I guess the difference is ones opinion on feature vs cheat.

I don't consider cheats to be a feature. Evidently, you do. 🤷🏼‍♂️

What you are missing from this conversation is the developers of the other games didn't hoard up the tools they could use in a game and not allow players to use those tools, too. The floor/level cheat is not necessary to be able to build a slope right up against a house (unlike TS4's terrain tools) however, it is a tool/cheat Maxis used several times in their own premade builds and didn't hold it close to their chest so that players couldn't find out how to do that also such as arched bridges over a pond. Or sub basements within sub basements or actual split level homes with an underground pool inside that split level. That's the difference of the older games and TS4 in some areas of building.

It's not that a cheat is a feature but a tool they shared with the players. But not always necessary if you just want part of your Sim house to have a sloping hill around it, up against a wall. But c'mon let's face it, it's a sad day when even The Sims had water tools in it's base, dig away.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • haydendamian_97haydendamian_97 Posts: 63 Member
    I just thought of something!! If sims age up, what if players pick outfits for each age and when a sim ages up, their clothes change as well. Is that possible?? Comment your opinion.
    Hayden Damian, geography buff, aviation buff, likes video games......
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I think that the young are bright and have the ability to learn and grow quickly and this version of the game is basically so dumbed-down - that it is an insult to think they can't handle something more creative and complex.

Build mode was dumped down in TS4, many love it because it's so easy, never mind it has ten thousand features missing that were in the other games. I don't know, I think the proof is in the pudding if people needed it so easy.

I'm not a huge builder, but I do try. What features are missing?

The one that I miss most is the cheat constrainfloorelevation true/false. It allowed builders to create all types of fascinating things, bridges, arches, split levels, attached garages on homes with foundations... One of my favorite homes in TS3 had a little Koi pond out front. In order to get to the front door, the Sims had to cross a little rope bridge over the water. It even dipped in the middle as a rope bridge should.

Which reminds me. Another great feature was the pond tool. Dig deep enough, a builder could reach a world's water table. All kinds of ponds and water features could be created. All TS4 has is the disturbingly round pre-fabricated pond.

Also, the previous games made it possible to remove single floor tiles with a simple click. With TS4, a simple click removes the entire floor in the room.

Those are three biggies, as far as I'm concerned. Even though some TS4 builders are quite creative, certain builds from the earlier games cannot be easily replicated.

I'm not sure that a cheat should be considered a lost function? 😂

You might have a point if the TS4 developers weren't heavily dependent on cheats in order to expand the functionality of their game. Cheats such as bb.showhiddenobjects and bb.showliveeditobjects are not only encouraged they're treated as full-fledged features. IIRC, the community begged the developers to improve or to make the moveobjects cheat more accessible because it was so integral for builds.

How are those examples any different from the constrainfloorelevation cheat that was heavily used in builds but also hidden behind a cheat wall? It existed in the last two games. In TS4 it does not and I miss it.

Well, I guess the difference is ones opinion on feature vs cheat.

I don't consider cheats to be a feature. Evidently, you do. 🤷🏼‍♂️

This has always confused me -- in the Sims, cheats aren't what they are in most games. I mean, something like "freerealestate on" is a cheat. But something like "constrainfloorelevation off" isn't a cheat so much as it is a build tool. I'm not sure why opening those tools and using the non-cheaty ones are considered cheating.
  • sparkietothemaxsparkietothemax Posts: 131 Member
    I've been playing Sims since I was 15 or 16, I'm 26 now and growing up I can't really remember what I wanted. I do remember being disappointed in the Supernatural and Into the Future packs for Sims 3. As I've gotten older, I don't mind supernatural things but I still don't care for modernized/futuristic stuff.