Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4 is six years old now, is it time to move on?

Comments

• Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    My patience with EA/Maxis is totally depleted. That same excuse is given every time a new pack or patch/update creates new bugs and glitches, and WE need to exercise patience while waiting for the teams to fix their mistakes? That is totally bonkers. We have been more than patient, to the point of being reduced to begging them to fix the game before it implodes and becomes unplayable. And don't get me started on how the modding community is able to fix the game when the people who created it are content to let all their mistakes slide while patting themselves on the back after every new bug-filled pack is released. The old saying that making the same mistakes over and over while hoping for a different outcome is a sign of being a bit crazy kinda sums up my experience with Sims4. And I have to agree with that as I have been buying new packs and updating my game with the same hope that maybe the outcome of doing that, might change the way my game reacts. And by react, I mean the way it ends up being nearly unplayable until a mod creator finds a way to mend all the things that went wrong. And, just to be clear, this little dance started long before COVID-19 came storming in. So take that little excuse off the table because it isn't relevant in this situation. This has been going on for five years, and that is a long time to remain optimistic, or to trust a corporation's ability to produce any game that isn't riddled with issues.

If we won't be getting the features we've been asking for, or fixes for bugs that have hung around for years, what is the point in buying new packs or updating the game? Customer satisfaction goes hand in hand with being a corporation, and most companies try to keep their paying customers happy. EA? Not so much. It does not care, or intend to do anything more than pump out pack after pack for as long as people are willing to spend money on new stuff then wait for fixes before the pack is playable. By playable, I mean it can be played as it was advertised without resorting to workarounds or mods. EA is more than happy to take our money then make us wait for years before fixing anything. So EA can wait for any more of my money, and I won't be waiting around for any patches in the hope Sims4 will become less buggy and more fleshed out. As far as Sims5 goes? I certainly won't be buying it, I can tell you that much. I've had enough of this insane love/hate relationship, and once Sims4 is pushed aside to make way for Sims5, I will have Sims4 to keep me busy for a long time. I have spent almost as much time searching for fixes as I have spent playing it. It'll be nice to just sit back and enjoy it without anything getting in the way. I'm rather looking forward to it.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I have moved on. By going back entirely and by playing something different. I'll keep an eye on any Sims 5 news but to say I'm sceptical would be an understatement.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    Im happy with 4. I want to play it for many more years and would love it to last another 5-10 more years...
    But... I'm tired of all the negativity towards it and feel like maybe people would move over to complaining about Sims 5 so us Sims 4 players could play in peace haha, so I'd be happy for it to arrive for that reason.
    Besides, while there is more I want to the game, the state it's in now I could happily continue to play for decades if they DID stop upgrading now.
    But still... I lean towards keeping 4 going, while not being upset either way.

So that you can play in peace? :|

If someone who doesn't love the thing that you love is capable of somehow disturbing your peace, they are not the issue.

No, not at all, You've misunderstood. Perhaps my fault for the poor wording, so I apologize. I don't mind at all that others don't like what I like and I'm quite welcoming of criticism about the game. In fact there's things I often criticsize about it too, though it remains my favourite.

But unforunately people have been personaly attacking, name calling to me etc quite often when I've said I like 4 more. It's been better the last couple weeks but it got quite bad for awhile. They'd say I was "stupid for enjoying this feature more than that" or that my game play style was immature because I like to play kids more than young adults, etc. Here and in PM's at times. Or even that I am "wrong, you can't like 4 better, either you are lying or don't know what you are talking about" type thing...

Thankfully, it does seem better lately. I've learned to just not state my opinion quite as often and to ignore most requests for "You have to explain why you like sims 4 better if you do", because my explanations seem to upset people, and honestly I should be allowed to enjoy the game without HAVING to explain myself.

I get along well with a lot of people on here that prefer older games and it doesn't bother me in the slightest as long as they don't mind I like 4 better. It's not different than the fact that I get along with a lot of occult players even though I do't enjoy occults in my game. It's so easy to be friends when people let people be different but sadly that doesn't always happen here.

Thank you for the clarification. It seemed as if you were blaming others for being unable to play or something.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    Idk we have had new major or less updates like windows update where u can place them freely and now newest addition is that you can stack them
    While these dont fix base core issues the game has, it's still nice. There is still so much things missing. Even after 6 years, it's scary and i don't think they will fix that.
    But if i'm being honest, i don't think sims 5 will be better.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I'm ready to move on, but not necessarily to Sims 5. My trust in the team is gone. They don't appear interested in making a solid life simulator. If EA surprises us and actually publishes a worthy Sims successor, then I'll give it a shot. But I think it's more likely that they'll continue to push what they want and it will be some ridiculous always online MMO with loads of microtransactions. They keep telling us that they're "listening" but I have yet to see evidence of consistent change. It's looking really likely that I'll instead spend my money on Paralives and/or the other rumored upcoming life sim games.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I'm ready to move on, but not necessarily to Sims 5. My trust in the team is gone. They don't appear interested in making a solid life simulator. If EA surprises us and actually publishes a worthy Sims successor, then I'll give it a shot. But I think it's more likely that they'll continue to push what they want and it will be some ridiculous always online MMO with loads of microtransactions. They keep telling us that they're "listening" but I have yet to see evidence of consistent change. It's looking really likely that I'll instead spend my money on Paralives and/or the other rumored upcoming life sim games.

I agree the only way they can get me to wanting Sims 5 they really have to some major work on the features, other than that come half stepping and I will quietly leave the room and never to enter again as there are some real good games on the horizon.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • CarmillaVampireCarmillaVampire Posts: 15 Member
    Hi all! Maybe someone else said this, but I want to see a finished Sims 4 before moving on to Sims 5, and I really love the game. Thinking of starting over with this makes me a little lazy. Greetings from Germany!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    Hi all! Maybe someone else said this, but I want to see a finished Sims 4 before moving on to Sims 5, and I really love the game. Thinking of starting over with this makes me a little lazy. Greetings from Germany!

I wish TS4 would be complete. What things do you want in the game to make it 'finished'? I want traits to matter more than the emotional decor objects. I guess I really need an entire overhaul of the personality system. That may never happen so to me it is finished. It is what it is and nothing they can do or bring out (even if they added cars, improved babies, differences between the ages, height sliders, or a shorter teen, and or more/totally different aspirations that don't depend on workout, the Sim pc, etc. etc.,) but interested to know what you want to see so that you can feel the game is 'finished'.

After six years of players telling them issues with the core, I don't think any of us will ever think it's finsihed. It's not a matter of farming over theme parks, but the core, to me. But interested to know why so many still think TS4 isn't finished other than the things I think are missing.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    The Sim's 4 is seriously lacking for a Sim's game. The "I hear you" has become nothing more than a silly platitude. I would let it go.

I am not sure how Sim's 5 will fair, especially if it is online. The controversy over another online game has never been popular on the threads I have seen. The trust has been broken for a lot of people, and it takes effort to gain that back.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    I got a lot of the major packs and things I wanted for Sims 4, and had a lot of fun with it, so I can happily say I would be ready to move on to a Sims 5 soon so we can get even more features and better AI, more creative tools, etc. 🙂👍
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    If done right I am all for it. Now Paradox is a much smaller company than EA, but in Crusader Kings III includes about the first 4 or so expansions from CK II in base game, hence IMPROVING it compared to the earlier release.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    6 years is too long of a time(we're not vampires) just to wait for the game to feel complete, I packed up and have move to other games and also play the previous iteration who seemed to be complete even only in their first 2 years of run back then.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    6 years is too long of a time(we're not vampires) just to wait for the game to feel complete, I packed up and have move to other games and also play the previous iteration who seemed to be complete even only in their first 2 years of run back then.

games are made different now even animal crossing is getting updates for what was already in the base game before its sad but that just how things are now
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    games are made different now even animal crossing is getting updates for what was already in the base game before its sad but that just how things are now

We're getting the old features back at a steady rate, though, and the new content we got instead is actually good. Also, don't forget that quite a bit of stuff in New Leaf didn't arrive until four years after the game's original release, with the amiibo update. I can hold out a few more months to see Brewster.

We're getting the old features back at a steady rate, though, and the new content we got instead is actually good. Also, don't forget that quite a bit of stuff in New Leaf didn't arrive until four years after the game's original release, with the amiibo update. I can hold out a few more months to see Brewster.

oh I new mean the new animal crossing is bad I really like it
    I just meant that things are different then they use to be when it comes to how games are made
    then it was even a few years ago @TamakiSakura84 I'm sure sims five will take a long time so I hope most of us like it
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited September 2020

I just meant that things are different then they use to be when it comes to how games are made
    then it was even a few years ago @TamakiSakura84 I'm sure sims five will take a long time so I hope most of us like it

I get what you’re saying about things being different now, @comicsforlife but Animal Crossing updates are not only coming out at a steady consistent rate like @TamakiSakura84 said, but they’re also free. We might have to wait for a “complete” game but at least were not waiting half a decade and spending several hundred dollars for it.

I get what you’re saying about things being different now, @comicsforlife but Animal Crossing updates are not only coming out at a steady consistent rate like @TamakiSakura84 said, but they’re also free. We might have to wait for a “complete” game but at least were not waiting half a decade and spending several hundred dollars for it.

thats true but remember the sims has always had a lot of dlc and have always taken a long time
    now things take longer and there is more dlc even pokamon has dlc now and they never had it before
    so if sims 5 sells well I'm pretty sure it will take just as long as sims 4 if not longer @NationalPokedex
    not saying that I like it this why just saying its the new norm unless there is some big change down the line for game making as a whole
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member

thats true but remember the sims has always had a lot of dlc and have always taken a long time
    now things take longer and there is more dlc even pokamon has dlc now and they never had it before
    so if sims 5 sells well I'm pretty sure it will take just as long as sims 4 if not longer @NationalPokedex
    not saying that I like it this why just saying its the new norm unless there is some big change down the line for game making as a whole

Ha, I love that you brought in Pokémon. It’s true, it does have DLC now. What a tragedy. 😩

But as @Beardedgeek said, Crusader Kings III just released and it included many features in the base game that come with packs in the previous version. It can be done, where companies improve upon their games from the get go. EA chooses not to and it’s unfortunate and annoying. But yeah I agree, it’s the new world of video gaming.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    It will be interesting to see what direction EA will take with the sims5. When the sims4 was made I think EA was kinda making all their games as a "live service" but now it feels like some of their games are moving away from that model.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    logion wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what direction EA will take with the sims5. When the sims4 was made I think EA was kinda making all their games as a "live service" but now it feels like some of their games are moving away from that model.

TBH, any time they implemented any of their "live service" events, such as the PlantSim seed stuff and anything involving Jasmine Holiday, it was poorly received. These events do not work well in a single player, offline game. That's not at all to suggest that I want an online Sims game.

Animal Crossing is really comparing apples and oranges here. AC functions in real-time and events are accessible at any time you want once they're in. They probably did this to not only ensure more time was spent on them, but also to ensure the game remained relevant throughout the year. I really like how it gives players things to look forward to without any kind of spoiling going on.

As for TS5, they really do have it all laid out for them. Take TS2 and TS3 and mash it into one game with great graphics. If you can't take your overwhelming amount of EA-backed resources to do that, don't bother, honestly.
  • BakazeroBakazero Posts: 1 New Member
    Fundamentally, the things I want at this point are:
    1. Better, more interesting, autonomy. I want Sims to be interesting, consistent, rational when they're doing their own thing in the world. No more "wacky" making De-Stressing concoctions over and over, or having a law passed that makes you get in fist fights every couple of minutes, and other stuff that basically gives them the memory of your average fruit fly. I'd like to see more long term motivations and actions from Sims, lots more "aspirations" that drive what they do, etc. I quote aspirations so it doesn't get mistaken for the checklists they are in Sims 4. So, #1 is probably a new game engine.
    2. More contiguous worlds for a better sense of place. I want to see them go to the corner market, come back, stop by the neighbors to drop off the garden tools they borrowed, and notice the neighbor's kids are playing in the front yard. Things to foster a sense of belonging and community. Again, needs an engine upgrade, to avoid the "now loading" pop in and out. Maybe an overworld too, so that you can find San Myshuno on a "map."
    3. I want more of a physicality to the game, so that clothes, objects, etc, interact, especially with each other, and aren't just squares and textures. Definitely a new engine.
    4. More granularity in what they sell... And I know this one is controversial, but this is MY list. I want if they come out with a rocking chair, to be able to buy the rocking chair, and maybe not the ugly sweater, to put a concrete example on it. I realize this is setting them up to charge more for less, but I think in my case, it might work out to less wasted money. I realize this could de-motivate them to make the "big changes" (Seasons, Vampires, etc, but that's more on them then on the system, I think. Nothing systematically is going to MAKE them make good stuff.
    5. Since we're speaking about it, I want more granularity in what systems are active in a given "world instance" too. I like vampires, but maybe THIS particular world isn't going to have them because its not what I'm going for... etc. I know I wish I could turn off aspects of the Eco Lifestyle game changes, but not all of them. Yes, that's probably because I'm a horrible person or something. Sue me. At any rate, that's a new engine right now.

So yeah, probably time for Sims 5 for me, assuming those changes could be a part of it. If its just "4k monitor support" "upgraded shaders" and 6 more years of waiting for the same packs to come out "Oh when is the magic pack and the Universities coming" then probably not. I get they can't have it all at once, so I don't mean that, but one thing that really bothered me about Sims 4 this time is that it felt like someone trying to run the exact same playbooks as Sims 2 and Sims 3 "OK now its time for the Seasons Pack"
  • TygerxEyesTygerxEyes Posts: 2 New Member
    In truth, I am voting for Sims5 though only if they focus on stronger engine and off-line game so it is my rig that determines the limits. Despite having a rig that can handle it, I tend to mod few games extensively or at all (Sims 4 to date no mods) with the sole exception of Elder Scrolls (100s of mods in Skyrim SE). So, while I am capable of it, I don't prefer it unless the creativity and game are really amendable to it (or amendable in my IMHO). I do like Sims 4 and enjoy playing it though with all the packages some things like standard lifespans make less sense than the basic game and original expansions (in this regard, I do love the ability to adjust or turn off aging... so it's not an issue so much as expansions have exceeded some of the original games boundaries.

So, I will happily continue Sims 4 and I might wait to jump into Sims 5, but ultimately it really depends - make a engine capable of single player and lots of expansions without a 100s of bugs (given internet speeds and 5G - online or offline - make it handle the game it has become) - then sure... Sims 5. Otherwise, Sims 4 is fine.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I did not like TS4 from the start, in fact I needed several packs and adjustments (=3 years?) to get into it. So, I'm nowhere ready to leave TS4. I think it finally is a good game. If they just address a few bugs, I'm a happy simmer. And - whenever TS5 comes, I will not be on that wagon.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Yeah it took me past City Living before the game got interesting to play.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • BohoFlowerBohoFlower Posts: 143 Member
    A lot of people have only just actually started playing The Sims 4 like myself because they took too long to get it a decent playable place it was a mess in the early days of the game, it would be a shame to start playing it only for them to then move onto another game but... honestly... i don't think anyone will want to pay for any Packs all over again cos they've done this in each version and the current Teens have already quickly grown tired of every small thing being put in seperate packs, so lets just stick to The Sims 4... if there's ever a Sims 5 they need to move away from Packs and Expansions... otherwise i just think they should leave it and go out while it's still going strong cos i know it's probs the end of road for me after The Sims 4.