Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• CaprianaBCaprianaB Posts: 511 Member
    Komura wrote: »
    I can’t help but wonder what the next expansion pack is. I’m trying to think of everything that’s trendy right now since they seem to follow trends with their packs this year, but I’m drawing a complete blank on anything that I would find fun, or that would appeal to the Sims teams version of fun. I am glad that they prepared people for this next pack that it won’t be something that includes what majority is asking for though, it will probably soften the blow of whatever this pack is.

I'm also drawing a blank.

And that SP placeholder is still on Origin so wonder where that fits in.

It could still be the winter theme that seems to be hinted at.

Serious question about a “winter” theme. Wouldn’t that essentially be an add on to seasons so like a MFPs situation?

This is something that’s occurred to me too and I’m not super sure on how it would work. However, the desert worlds of Oasis Springs and Strangerville, and the tropical world of Sulani represent the opposite end of the spectrum and there’s no issue with that. The worlds exist in a climate vacuum without Seasons so it looks hot, and because we understand how climate works in the real world, it’s easy for us to pretend that the Sims are experiencing the appropriate weather if you don’t have Seasons installed. Aside from a winter world actually generating more snow, wouldn’t it work the same way?

I hope so because I don't have Seasons and don't intend to buy it.
  • clover24clover24 Posts: 887 Member
    Komura wrote: »
    I can’t help but wonder what the next expansion pack is. I’m trying to think of everything that’s trendy right now since they seem to follow trends with their packs this year, but I’m drawing a complete blank on anything that I would find fun, or that would appeal to the Sims teams version of fun......

What’s trending right now is quarantine... :#
  • EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    SimGuruRomeo on twitter:

This at least implies that upcoming content will cater to another group of players than the Star Wars pack, and that we will hear something very soon.
  • > @charmed4life4 said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > She made an interesting point... That many of the things we wanted were never meant to be put in Sims 4. So EA/Maxis/Gurus always intended for this game to be a pretty shell of Sims 1 through 3. If it were not for the "complainers" we wouldn't be getting so many of the things the community wants. They have had 6 years, however I get the feeling they thought the "complainers" would stop or could be drowned out. The chances of them just starting to work on what we want in the last year or so is real and sad.

I like her, she makes so many good points.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    It pretty much just confirms what we all know already...

They aren't listening and they don't care what we want in the game. No surprises really. :/

I think they are listening (how else would they know about cars, babies, bunk beds), but there are just some things they can't or simply won't add into the game. And they can't or don't want to say what those things may or may not be. Sorry if this sounds vague.

Okay my bad I'll rephrase. They are listening but they still don't care what we want in the game. The only reason the skin tones are getting special priority treatment right now is because the community kicked up enough fuss and it doesn't look good for them to not seem inclusive when they go to so much effort to promote that they are inclusive. I'm also a bit salty right now.

This...this came off as "oh yeah we hear you...you just aren't gonna get it."

And the not gonna get it part seems to include bug fixes that are causing games not to be playable.
  • afternoonbaboonafternoonbaboon Posts: 252 Member
    I'm salty but at least there is one positive. What ever the next pack is it surely can't be worse than the Star Wars pack. :D

My First Quarantine Stuff!! :p
    WweQvgh.gif

we love you kathleen hanna
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    I really appreciate the letter, thank you!

However, I also would appreciate transparency and an update that solely deals with the bugs that make the game so hard and frustrating to play, having slow internet it took 6 hours for the patch to download and still my sim is making more cakes and my toddlers cant get past basic life support to do anything else etc etc.

I would think you have a list? In fact, may I suggest that you make a list of oldest to newest bugs that have not been fixed and make a commitment to start on them oldest to newest?

The openness about upcoming content is also appreciated, and there are things I still want in the game but more than anything I want what we have already to work. In fact I will not even consider buying the Sims 5 because of the history to not address bugs in an edition before creating a new one. That is also starting to apply to any new additions to The Sims 4 because I still play a broken The Sims 2 and 3 also.

Thanks and The Sims is the only game I play and have since the beginning of The Sims so it does matter to me.

Hi Simmers -

We want you to know we’ve been seeing all your feedback and we hear you. As we always have been, we’re committed to growing The Sims as a game and as a community, so instead of trying to respond to a variety of tweets we wanted to consolidate some thoughts and updates in one place:

We are working on adding significantly more skin tones before the end of the year, and will share news on our progress soon. Beyond that, we’re committed to continuing to expand representation in The Sims 4. This is not one step, but a journey.

On upcoming content - when we consider something for addition to the game we consider what it will take to update it meaningfully. This is just as true for babies as it would be for cars, bunk beds or any other number of feature requests. Sometimes there is foundational technology we need to work through and sometimes we need to dig into designs more deeply to make sure we understand your expectations. This work takes time, and we don’t update you on these projects until they become more real. Game development in general can feel like a long process and, like most of the world, we are adjusting to a continued state of working from home.

In just a matter of weeks we’ll be sharing more about our next Expansion Pack, which we’ve been working on since last year. I want to set expectations now, though, that cars, babies, farms and bunk beds are not part of this EP. We understand how important these features are to you but we want to be honest that they are not part of this upcoming pack.

As a team, we are going to make more of an effort to communicate what’s coming with more regularity and transparency so that you continue to feel in the loop about new features, experiences, packs, and general information.

That’s it for now, and you’ll be hearing more from us soon. In the meantime, all we ask of you is to be kind, engage in constructive conversations with each other, and continue to celebrate what makes the Sims special to YOU. And I can assure you that we will continue to listen, continue to invest in The Sims 4 and continue to engage with you. We could not do what we do without our players.

SimGuru Lyndsay & the Sims Team

• troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    edited September 2020
    Folks screaming for generations need to do a side by side list of Generations & Parenthood.

Also folks should realize that no pack has been EXACTLY the same each game. Seasons in TS4 is not like it was in TS2. Pets aren't the same from TS2, TS3, and TS4.

Just because it is called Parenthood instead of Generations doesn't mean it is not the same themed pack. You basically have many of the things from generations in game with that pack plus additional stuff.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIW6kougM6w

I hope every new pack that is created for TS4 going forward is something that has never been done before.
    You want a farming pack, go play Farmville or Township

Post edited by troshalom on
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Any of you ever consider reading it, and accepting it at face value as an honest attempt to explain matters and manage expectations? Because that's how it reads to me. You all want transparency, ignore it when we get it, and accuse the developers of lying when they try to engage. This is a more thoughtful, measured response than this community deserves.

I read it as that my extremely low bar of expectations and skepticism of any DLC needs to set even lower. Like I expect ZERO and they want my expectations to go in the negatives. I have not been excited about any new content in 4 years. I also read it as they don't really care what we desire, as they will only make what they want.
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    I d
    troshalom wrote: »
    Folks screaming for generations need to do a side by side list of Generations & Parenthood.

Also folks should realize that no pack has been EXACTLY the same each game. Seasons in TS4 is not like it was in TS2. Pets aren't the same from TS2, TS3, and TS4.

Just because it is called Parenthood instead of Generations doesn't mean it is not the same themed pack. You basically have many of the things from generations in game with that pack plus additional stuff.

I hope every new pack that is created for TS4 going forward is something that has never been done before.

I doubt i will really like any gameplay tied to farming. What i am excited for is all of the build/buy & CAS that will come with something like that. Very useful! :)
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimGuruRomeo on twitter:

This at least implies that upcoming content will cater to another group of players than the Star Wars pack, and that we will hear something very soon.

How did they manage to make universally-likable packs/content before Sims 4? This sounds like a management problem. Their next response will be pushing more ads to get more new players.
  • Truecrime_addictTruecrime_addict Posts: 108 Member
    SimGuruRomeo on twitter:

How did they manage to make universally-likable packs/content before? This sounds like a management problem. Their next response will be pushing more ads to get more new players.

They already made those universal packs. Cats and Dogs. University. Seasons & so on. And many people like those packs.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    SimGuruRomeo on twitter:

How did they manage to make universally-likable packs/content before? This sounds like a management problem. Their next response will be pushing more ads to get more new players.

They already made those universal packs. Cats and Dogs. University. Seasons & so on. And many people like those packs.

I meant before Sims 4 lol
  • J33s0w0J33s0w0 Posts: 1 New Member
    I was really looking forward to EA releasing something that the FANS ARE SCREAMING OUT FOR. Don't get me wrong we are excited for the Sims Star Wars, but WE REALLY WANT THE SIMS FARMING! We want to build our little farms to have some crops and farm animals! Maybe some tractors and landowners... PLEASE JUST LISTEN TO YOUR FANS.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    troshalom wrote: »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4hajq1nwsAM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MIW6kougM6w

@troshalom We really don't have almost none of the stuff that came with The Sims 3 Generetions in the Sims 4 but if you played the pack you probably should know that already.
    A pack of the same theme as in a previous Sims game doesn't have to be the same but it definitely should be up to par with the previous pack and even be better than it. Like the Sims 4 Seasons. The Sims 4 Seasons is different than the Sims 2 but definitely improved a lot. This is a pack made right.
    Pets from the Sims 3 aren't the same as the Sims 2 either, but there was an improvement as well. See where I am going with that?

Also the Sims Team themselves confirmed in a tweet that Parenthood DOES NOT equal Generations. It is a different type of pack to them.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • I don't think parenthood hardly even scratched the service of what TS3 generations had.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Must Sims 4 have exactly the same content as Sims 3 to be worthwhile?

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• > @Nindigo said:
    > Must Sims 4 have exactly the same content as Sims 3 to be worthwhile?

I wouldn't say exactly the same, I just wish it had more content per pack.
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    It would be nice if the Sims 4 content was as good as 3. Doesn't have to be the same game play just the same quality. I have and play both.
    Nindigo wrote: »

@Nindigo Nobody said that.
  • alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    SAEldarin wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    I'm salty but at least there is one positive. What ever the next pack is it surely can't be worse than the Star Wars pack. :D

Oh my sweet summer child. Things can always get worse.
    Yep.
    71FBTwLqGHL._SY445_.jpg

My eyes! Was it that bad? :#

I had to do a google search to remember what came with the pack. I'd make a horrible witness. I was remembering some decent bakery items (nope). Yea, I uh did buy it (no judgment, this is a "safe space" after all, right?), but the why escapes me.

Thanks for the flashback! My eyes haven't registered those colors in years!

KPST is my favourite SP of all times. It's a pink 🐸🐸🐸🐸 of joy and gayness. 💕🌈
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

low-angle-view-scarecrow-against-cloudy-sky-562838541-5aaf18adfa6bcc00360a609c.jpg
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    edited September 2020

I know. I was merely asking out of curiosity. The Sims 4 is constantly held up against The Sims 3, so it's easy enough to be left with the impression that it must. According to some at least.

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member

My First Quarantine Stuff!! :p

I would not be at all surprised anymore. :D

I know. I was merely asking out of curiosity. The Sims 4 is constantly held up against The Sims 3, so it's easy enough to be left with the impression that it must. According to some at least.

Nope. We are comparing the quality of the two. We're not playing "find the difference"