Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A Letter From The Sims Team

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    DeKay wrote: »
    haneul wrote: »
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Any of you ever consider reading it, and accepting it at face value as an honest attempt to explain matters and manage expectations? Because that's how it reads to me. You all want transparency, ignore it when we get it, and accuse the developers of lying when they try to engage. This is a more thoughtful, measured response than this community deserves.

Unfortunately, not all of them can be pleased.Ever. Before it was "why dont they address the uproar?" then its "oh well, i dont buy this." and jeering and laughing. Just the way it is in this "fanbase".

We are not fans. We're customers. They're providing us a service that we pay for.

I disagree with this. We're not paying for a service or a subscription for the game (unless you use Origin Access or something). What you already bought is what you already have. Now, I know I don't like it when people say, "If you don't like the pack, then don't buy it". But over here, we are not paying the devs monthly or in advance to create the next pack. (I mean, technically, indirectly, we are cuz we are funding them in a sense, but I think you get what I mean). 😅

Ultimately, it is still your choice whether you want to buy the DLCs or not. So, I wouldn't really call it that we're paying for a service.😂

@DeKay The same way you go to the restaurant
    down the street every once in a while and are considered a customer, then you are also a customer for buying and supporting the Sims every once in a while.
    We are customers since the financial well being of the company depends on us. Our voice is our money and as long as people keep throwing their money at EA they won't see our issues with them.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    Our voice is our money and as long as people keep throwing their money at EA they won't see our issues with them.
    Hence the continued encouragement to not buy if dissatisfied. Money = voice

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

Nindigo wrote: »
    I understand the disappointment. I just don't think the continuous scolding is going to have any effect, because we can always choose not to buy their product. I think the team will continue to design the game in the way they see fit. Constructive feedback is still our best shot - the most appropriate shot, even. Certain attitudes just don't work well when trying to get others to cooperate. I wouldn't bow to a hysterical child, just to pick an extreme example. - We can talk calmly and then I'll listen, but still can't promise anything, because I have different ideas, and I happen to be in charge. It's not personal, it's just the way it is.

Sort of like that is how I view this whole situation.

You can still talk to the person who is in charge about their actions. Especially when you are the one paying that person and not the other way around.
    If it wasn't for the continuous feedback we have given over the years the Sims 4 wouldn't have come nearly as far and many problems wouldn't have been fixed (see skin tones). It's all about us speaking up and saying our opinion and if you think it doesn't change anything then I say look at the past.
    Our voice is our money and as long as people keep throwing their money at EA they won't see our issues with them.
    Hence the continued encouragement to not buy if dissatisfied. Money = voice

Sure but if you can also leave feedback for them to see why you didn't buy, so they know not to repeat a certain mistake the better!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    Any of you ever consider reading it, and accepting it at face value as an honest attempt to explain matters and manage expectations? Because that's how it reads to me. You all want transparency, ignore it when we get it, and accuse the developers of lying when they try to engage. This is a more thoughtful, measured response than this community deserves.

Unfortunately, not all of them can be pleased.Ever. Before it was "why dont they address the uproar?" then its "oh well, i dont buy this." and jeering and laughing. Just the way it is in this "fanbase".

We are not fans. We're customers. They're providing us a service that we pay for.

I disagree with this. We're not paying for a service or a subscription for the game (unless you use Origin Access or something). What you already bought is what you already have. Now, I know I don't like it when people say, "If you don't like the pack, then don't buy it". But over here, we are not paying the devs monthly or in advance to create the next pack. (I mean, technically, indirectly, we are cuz we are funding them in a sense, but I think you get what I mean). 😅

Ultimately, it is still your choice whether you want to buy the DLCs or not. So, I wouldn't really call it that we're paying for a service.😂

DeKay The same way you go to the restaurant
    down the street every once in a while and are considered a customer, then you are also a customer for buying and supporting the Sims every once in a while.
    We are customers since the financial well being of the company depends on us. Our voice is our money and as long as people keep throwing their money at EA they won't see our issues with them.

No, I agree about the customer part. We are the customer for this game, but we are not paying for a service. Not long term, at least. The only 'service' we could get from them is the bugs that they have to fix for packs that we already own since we already paid for that.

This is not like Patreon where you pay the person monthly, for example, and you expect them to deliver.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif

No, I agree about the customer part. We are the customer for this game, but we are not paying for a service. Not long term, at least. The only 'service' we could get from them is the bugs that they have to fix for packs that we already own since we already paid for that.

This is not like Patreon where you pay the person monthly, for example, and you expect them to deliver.

No we don't but as customers we expect them to do something for people that have supported them in the past.
    It's knowing your audience. It's the same with singers for example when they release an album.
    Sometime you have to look at the people who have supported you financially in the past and release something you know they will like.
    Though I'm all in for experimentation and freedoms I still think several requested things should be taken into consideration even though we don't pay them monthly.
    @SimmerGeorge I basically agree with you. But here we are six years later, and core things players have requested since the beginning have not yet been added (that's the popular claim). That is where my doubts come from.

@SimmerGeorge I basically agree with you. But here we are six years later, and core things players have requested since the beginning have not yet been added (that's the popular claim). That is where my doubts come from.

Yeah six years later core things players have requested since the beginning indeed have not been added. That's how I see it too.
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    edited September 2020

We are paying for a service if you read the Terms of Service Agreement you signed/clicked through. You unfortunately don't own your copy of the Sims ... you get a license to play. That's why I called it a service, because they can take away your right to play the game if you violate the agreement.
    ETA (updated link): https://tos.ea.com/legalapp/WEBTERMS/US/en/PC/
    Old example: https://media.contentapi.ea.com/content/dam/eacom/en-us/eula/eula-the-sims-4-pc-row-07092014.pdf

• ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I appreciate the letter. I think they are in a tight spot because the community is divided. We do not all want the same things or play the same type of game.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.

No we don't but as customers we expect them to do something for people that have supported them in the past.
    It's knowing your audience. It's the same with singers for example when they release an album.
    Sometime you have to look at the people who have supported you financially in the past and release something you know they will like.
    Though I'm all in for experimentation and freedoms I still think several requested things should be taken into consideration even though we don't pay them monthly.

I mean, yeah, but they are not obliged to. I get what you mean, but I also know a lot of singers or band who change their sound and some fans won't like it, and we are just left to either stop listening to the new music or just stick to the old sound.

I guess it's the same with The Sims 4. Just look at the 20th anniversary gift they gave us after we have supported them throughout these years.

It's kinda obvious they don't use this "we have to listen or give something back to our customers for all that they have done for us." 🤷‍♀️

But like I said before, they won't get my money anymore if they keep this up. So it's up to them if they wanna not listen to us and hurt their sales (if more people also going to stop buying their products).
    FwDXXd5.gif

We are paying for a service if you read the Terms of Service Agreement you signed/clicked through. You unfortunately don't own your copy of the Sims ... you get a license to play. That's why I called it a service, because they can take away your right to play the game if you violate the agreement.
    Old example: https://media.contentapi.ea.com/content/dam/eacom/en-us/eula/eula-the-sims-4-pc-row-07092014.pdf

And what kinda services do you expect from the devs?
    This EA licences thing is more like Origin allowing you to use the content.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

Competent game design and proper support of their product. They ship broken content all the time. Hard to fix something that never worked right in the first place, so those issues typically never get a fix. This is common with this studio and it’s been a problem for at least a decade now.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020

Competent game design and proper support of their product. They ship broken content all the time. Hard to fix something that never worked right in the first place, so those issues typically never get a fix. This is common with this studio and it’s been a problem for at least a decade now.
    Why I think they need to allow more time for the Game changers and Playtesters to review and test their products. These short term deadlines before pack releases are hurting other EA products more than helping it. It would help doing the trailers a month ahead too that way they have a bit more time to polish the last minute game issues. They need to make bug reporting easier too and whole EA Help site needs reorganizing for their games. It isn't very user friendly and lags a bit.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    edited September 2020

I also wonder if EA had a stock hit from this? Just curious if that had any influence. After all they have share holders to appease.

I think it temporarily did, at least for a few days! Also the poor reception of Madden 21 may have contributed as well. It didn't tank too much though! It will most likely recover in a while. If you time this right, you can buy the stock at its lowest point for this period of time if you want to invest in the company. And because it's value is a bit volatile right now, if you're a day trader, you can sell it when it rises for some quick profit!

NASDAQ:EA

(Look at the graph for its stock value over varying periods of time.)

@ClarionOfJoy Yea it’s gone down about 10 points since the 2nd, I don’t think this or the Madden dumpster fire is doing them any favors!

Yeah. You have a point. All of the new packs always have some kinda glitch in it in the release day but I realize they get worse and worse after each patch. But I do think it's only fair if they give us a bug free pack on the release date (before any new patch).

However, there's too many bugs in the game now. 😂 And the game engine of this game is so poor the more stuff they add in. This is why I just stopped buying the new packs all together.
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    edited September 2020
    While the letter is very vague corporate speak, one thing that surprised me is that.... the team has heard and commented on what many Simmers wanted! 😯 Like... they know what many folks want. But.. they can’t or won’t give that stuff to us, for whatever reason.

I am just surprised they pretty much admitted aloud about being aware of what many of us Simmers wanted. And then there is that additional comment that none of those features would be in the next pack. (It is probably to avoid more backlash and anger. But maybe they should just focus on giving folks what they want in the first place!)

So... would we be getting any of the most requested features some day in the far future, or none of it is possible due to technical or cash grab reasons...?

This letter is a bit strange to me. 🤔 I am glad that the company admitted aloud that they have heard what are the most requested features are. So it’s really a matter of... why would they not give those features to us?
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • QueenSaraphineQueenSaraphine Posts: 308 Member
    edited September 2020
    icmnfrsh wrote: »
    I like how they basically admitted that they began working on the next EP after people had started requesting farming so much (over a year ago), and they still didn't do it. Maybe it's another highly requested theme?

My main guess is something with supernaturals, since happy haunts got so many votes after arts and crafts in the community vote. But maybe the concept of it was too big to go in a stuff pack so they’ve been working on it as an expansion instead, with fairies, werewolves, and a grim reaper career. Maybe even dragons

I’ll be standing in the corner until then, ready for my white cake as reward for guessing the right answer 😉

SignatureSparkly.gif
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    why would they not give those features to us?

Some of it truely is game design and they actually can't. I honestly don't think we will ever see better babies. Not the way people envision them. It would break over a million save games (I believe) to fix them because of how it's all coded and if they did an update and broke literally everyone's game, there would be a riot. I doubt many are willing to start their saves over after 6 years in.

Some of it they can do though and probably are working on. The letter is clear that it doesn't say "we can't" or "we won't" but it just says that they aren't next. ;)

Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Aleia1Aleia1 Posts: 68 Member
    edited September 2020
    I expected dead silence from EA in response to the SW backlash, so the arrival of this letter and the conciliatory tone has surprised me. Maybe the negative reaction is a bigger deal than we realised. Maybe they just didn't see it coming, or at least not the intensity of it.

But I'm really disappointed there was no mention of addressing the masses of bugs currently affecting the game. There have always been bugs, but they seem to have reached a critical mass that is actively deterring or stopping people from playing in recent months. Even this small recent patch seems to have added to the ongoing bug list rather than making any inroads in reducing it.

It's just my opinion obviously, but I reckon the ferocity of the SW backlash is as much to do with the frustration people feel over struggling with a bug-ridden game ever since EL's release, with little to no info on when the issues are going to be fixed, as it is about movie franchise content they don't much fancy.

Maybe I'm wrongly assuming others feel the same as I do. But, from dropping in on these forums over the years, it has always seemed to me that sims players generally welcome getting new activities, worlds and BB even when a pack's theme isn't their kind of thing. When StrangerVille came out, I lost count of the posts where people complained about the theme and trashed the forced storyline, but said they had bought it anyway and praised the world and BB. I put myself in that category, because I had little interest in StrangerVille (though it ended up exceeding my expectations), and if I'm honest packs like Cats & Dogs and Island Life weren't my sort of thing either, but I happily bought them on release day because there was new stuff for my sims to do, and new neighbourhoods for them to visit or live in.

My patience and open-mindedness wears thin when the game isn't working properly though. If my game wasn't so glitchy right now, and I wasn't still antsy after a 134 error that stopped me playing at all for two weeks, I'm sure I'd give EA the benefit of the doubt on knitting and SW, though I'm not excited by either. But I'm not buying them until playing the game feels a bit more stable and under control again. If that doesn't happen I'll give them a miss, and the next pack as well.

Ultimately, this letter falls flat with me because it ignores the bugs issue entirely and focuses only on people's negative response to the new content. To me, it reveals that EA are missing half the point about why sims players are angry right now.
    Aleia1 wrote:
    Maybe the negative reaction is a bigger deal than we realised. Maybe they just didn't see it coming, or at least not the intensity of it.
    I think this is very much the case.

• empkaileenaempkaileena Posts: 21 Member
    Letter or not. This letters is as empty and hollow as my carved out halloween pumpkin. It literally says nothing. Adresses nothing, gives no insight in anything. Might aswell have stayed silent like EA always do to complaints. Because there really is no difference here.
  • simplyzoesimplyzoe Posts: 428 Member
    edited September 2020
    I like how they basically admitted that they began working on the next EP after people had started requesting farming so much (over a year ago), and they still didn't do it. Maybe it's another highly requested theme?

My main guess is something with supernaturals, since happy haunts got so many votes after arts and crafts in the community vote. But maybe the concept of it was too big to go in a stuff pack so they’ve been working on it as an expansion instead, with fairies, werewolves, and a grim reaper career. Maybe even dragons

I’ll be standing in the corner until then, ready for my white cake as reward for guessing the right answer 😉

As long as they don't include dragons with ware wolfs. I want you all to have your play style available but I just don't play the supernatural and horror stuff because it does not interest me. I have always skipped those expansions happily knowing they were taking care of my fellow players who do like it and bought what did appeal to me. And I LOVE dragons
  • icmnfrsh wrote: »

Seeing as it’s not the horse/farm EP I am desperate for I would actually really like this to be the next EP. Happy Haunts was what I put second because the grim reaper career seemed such a cool idea (among other things) and I was really on the fence whether to put it first above arts and crafts but that won out in the end for me. So yeah I’d be totally stoked for this but I’m not getting my hopes up lest we end up wearing that cake of yours haha!
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member

Seeing as it’s not the horse/farm EP I am desperate for I would actually really like this to be the next EP. Happy Haunts was what I put second because the grim reaper career seemed such a cool idea (among other things) and I was really on the fence whether to put it first above arts and crafts but that won out in the end for me. So yeah I’d be totally stoked for this but I’m not getting my hopes up lest we end up wearing that cake of yours haha!

I voted for knitting in the SP poll, but I would LOVE for Happy Haunts to be a bigger pack like a GP or EP. I have 0 expectations that it will be the EP coming later this year though.
    I also play Sims 3 and there is a Grimms Ghostly manor in the store. I think I'm going to finally get it to explore. 😃