Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What’s Up With People Not Actually PLAYING The Game Anymore?

ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

Did this used to happen in prior Sims games too or is this new for TS4?

And then some people spend a ton of time downloading CC to use for these Sims and homes and again do not actually play them.

I can’t understand it. I mean, it’s nice that folks can get enjoyment from the game period, but I wonder why they don’t bother to play the actual game? Is it because they don’t enjoy the gameplay? Do they have zero interest for some other reason?

I’m puzzled. If this is how you choose to use TS4, enlighten us.

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited August 2020
    I have a friend who plays and bought the game only to build houses and lot, putting so much effort subscribing to tsr for the cc and stuff, the reason why he choose Ts4 to design homes is because he can't use apps like Autocad, Maya or Blender to design a house.

Not playing the game itself, therefore his houses and lot aren't being playtested, tried it and it's unplayable due to move object cheats.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    I guess they just don't enjoy live mode? Personally, I never build and spend as little time in CAS as possible lol so I am the opposite.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    I spend 90% of my time in live mode. I don't build so really glad so many find it enjoyable so I'll have lots to download. I'm still playing the family I created 4 years ago and the rest of my Sims are from the Gallery. I'll usually give my Sims new outfits when a new pack releases and that's it for CAS.
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,144 Member
    Compare to the gameplay, building houses is relaxing. It makes fun to try out different styles or what ever comes into your mind. No sims stress you, when you don't wish for it. Just imagine the autonomy and a hungry toddlers in the highchair. :#
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited August 2020
    I mostly only play live mode...

I've never been interested in the creating side of the game in any of it's iterations. The thing that first got me to into the sims games originally was the whole "Play with Life" slogan.

I've always been interested in life simulation type games since even before the first sims game was on the scene. Sadly the Sims 4 focuses more on creating than it does game play. Sims 4 seems to be more about the ability of creating ones self than playing with life these days.

I use many mods to tweak the game more to my liking and I find I'm enjoying live mode a lot, it still could be much better though. I don't think I would be able to enjoy the Sims 4 without mods. The game has way to many awful design choices and bugs for that.
  • Alwe1507Alwe1507 Posts: 328 Member
    edited August 2020
    Duplicate 🤔
    Post edited by Alwe1507 on
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I only play in live mode. Building is so incredibly frustrating!

And as someone who doesn't build, the gallery is a MESS with people MOOing all over the palace and having no regard for people who need those builds to... you know, WORK because our Sims need a house/restaurant/park.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    It depends I play 50/50 at the moment I’m in a live mode mindset and have been burnt out with building. When I get burnt out with live mode I go back to building and the cycle repeats itself. Occasionally I will have a break from the game. I’ve been playing my only live mode save for nearly 2 years now and at times I need a break. I used to do this with sims 1 and 3 so it’s not because of 4.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,862 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    Some people are really out here spending hours/days/weeks/months/years designing homes within TS4 or creating Sims within TS4 and then do not actually play with these Sims in these homes. They make stuff but don’t actually play the game. It’s like a phenomenon. I’ve never heard of this happening in other games.

Did this used to happen in prior Sims games too or is this new for TS4?

And then some people spend a ton of time downloading CC to use for these Sims and homes and again do not actually play them.

I can’t understand it. I mean, it’s nice that folks can get enjoyment from the game period, but I wonder why they don’t bother to play the actual game? Is it because they don’t enjoy the gameplay? Do they have zero interest for some other reason?

I’m puzzled. If this is how you choose to use TS4, enlighten us.

How do you play?
  • Bluebeard45Bluebeard45 Posts: 3,889 Member
    Some folks may the bugs to much to deal with at this time. After playing for a few weeks some find it a rinse and repeat. I havn't found a game yet worth me stop playing but I only play for 6 hours now instead of the 12 I was playing.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    I go through phases where I will spend a lot of time rebuilding the worlds from the ground up. I create all the homes, from starters to mansions, and the community lots. And I won't play for quite a while - just build, build, build. It is fun.

I have some music on in the background and I just build my little worlds.

I must admit, though, that I do always have in mind the enjoyment I will eventually get from playing in those builds. So I am not sure if I could solely use the game for building as I most often like to play. But I can understand people who just enjoy the building aspect of it because that is what they are in to.

I own Planet Coaster too and see a lot of people who mainly design and build their rollercoaster parks without really 'playing' the game. So maybe some people just love designing and building things? A bit like having a whopping lego set :) (And back in my childhood, there were no intricate lego playsets - just basically bricks, with a few fence bits and roof tiles - kids would spend hours and hours just building stuff).
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    I have a friend who plays and bought the game only to build houses and lot, putting so much effort subscribing to tsr for the cc and stuff, the reason why he choose Ts4 to design homes is because he can't use apps like Autocad, Maya or Blender to design a house.

Not playing the game itself, therefore his houses and lot aren't being playtested, tried it and it's unplayable due to move object cheats.

That is a good point. So many people are building and uploading their builds without bothering to play test even after all this time. I think they could at least do that much.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I guess they just don't enjoy live mode? Personally, I never build and spend as little time in CAS as possible lol so I am the opposite.

I wonder if it’s because they think something is missing from the gameplay in Live mode that keeps them from playing it or if they just have no interest in general.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,958 Member
    edited August 2020
    in ts1 and 2 I didn't build much unless i had to (too busy playing other stuff like dragons and soap opera) but with ts3 i started building because the gameplay bored me to no end

(despite the fact in ts3 building one house never ended cause you would just endlessly change colors and patterns cause you could which was horrible on my perfectionism)

in ts4 I am less bored by gameplay but build tools are much easier, building is way less time consuming and I also keep having new build ideas all the time so I do not often get to the playing part despite that

its kind of like this creative urge to make something you thought about

similar to how people will get ideas for stories or drawings or whatever I just get ideas about houses instead

my brain is just constantly mad I am not millionaire and I can't build countless houses and rooms irl so I make them in a game to see if my idea of this house actually is as cool as i thought it is

spoiler: it usually isn't as perfect I thought it would be

I'm still bit confused about people building nonusable objects with moo though like its cool but I'd never have such patience to make something so complex

and well i don't spend lots of time in cas but i do see appeal of creating "background sims" for my saves sometimes like if i just want some less ugly and boring sims for my sims friends i have to do that
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited August 2020
    I like to create and customize sims in CAS, and I do play live mode, but not as much as I used to.

I bought the game in 2014, so I am pretty tired of it. I often end up pausing the game in live mode and watch twitch or Youtube on my other monitor.

I'm also taking a break from buying packs right now because they don't offer enough content for me and I want to play the game less and give other games a chance.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    I like live mode and I like building. The game is and has been very versatile and can accommodate different interests and play styles. There really isn't a right or wrong way to play the game, there's only playing the way you think it's most fun or interesting. We've all got differing interests and styles.
  • aelias24aelias24 Posts: 220 Member

I would like EA to find a way for us to create our own styled looks so we can get out of CAS faster.
    Real Life Is Never As Interesting As the SimswIiJK39.jpg
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    When I played Sims 1 & 2 I mostly live played about 90% of the time, if you don't count repainting every house :) . I built houses only when I wanted something specific for the story in my head, and they all looked like giant boxes no matter what I did. The build mode back then was not so easy (I remember hating to do roofs in particular), and I was more likely to just renovate an existing building than build something from scratch.

But with Sims 4... holy cow, the build mode is so much easier! I started playing earlier this summer and I'm really enjoying both the game play and the build mode options. While I do continue to renovate existing buildings or houses I downloaded, I find myself actually creating houses from scratch! And liking the results! Some of my new builds are not just boxes, they have style and look good. At least, until you look at the basements :* And the yards. My yards are pretty plain.

Right now I guess I'm about 60-40 in favor of live play vs building. I'm enjoying the creativity that building is giving me.
  • BluegayleBluegayle Posts: 4,186 Member
    I've personally known simmers who have done that in all the sims series. I am very grateful to those who do spend their time creating as they go far beyond anything I can do.

And I would guess that the you tubers who post their builds or at least a lot of them also play. They could prefer to keep their personal game to themselves. Building and playing are totally different.
    "Every child matters. If we fail our children, we are bound to fail our present, our future, faith, cultures, and civilizations as well."
    ZO6GpFg.jpg

AHQ Champion
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Personally, I consider CAS and building playing the game. Throughout my years of play, I theoretically spend a third of my time in each. Ideally I would spend more in live mode and with 4 have some ways to reduce the "set up/prep" time, but especially when I was younger I wanted every Sim I played to be mine and have a house designed for it.

The main difference for me is that it was a lot more fulfilling in the previous games to focus on a single Sim. I get tired of that pretty quickly in 4, so I pretty much always have a large family.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I've always been more into decorating my sims houses since Sims 1. I learned to make CC for that about a year after I bought the game. Never was a big game player until TS2 and Open for Business came out, the hair stylist career was my favorite and I'd play it all the time. Loved to make over the townies. TS3 had so much stuff to do and I loved the big worlds and I'd spend hours renovating lots and creating stories of who lived there in my head.

With TS4, I hated the cartoony graphics so much, that I learned to make CC to change the look. I started out with just recoloring EA things to make them less pre-school inspired and more "my style", then I learned to convert TS3 objects to TS4 and would put my own creative stamp on it with my own textures, and finally a few years ago I really took the time to learn how to make 3D models, so that's what I do now.

I am always so amazed by the talented builders in this community and I love to D/L no-CC houses to just relax and spend time decorating, but inevitably I will want something for the house I'm decorating and I can't find it, so I have to go make it myself, and by then I'm drawn back into "creation mode" and have forgotten about the game.

Ohhhh yeah, I love to CC shop too! I have oodles and oodles of build/buy objects and just recently started gathering up some CAS stuff.
  • JadedJaneJadedJane Posts: 991 Member
    Sometimes I get caught up creating sims and building houses in game. Meantime, I've spent several hours in the game but did not play. Honestly, if I could learn to make CC I would probably design clothes and try them on different shapes so I could sew them later. I love the character creation on here. I can see designers actually using this as a way to bring their clothes to life to make sure the fit goes well with many shapes. For example, they draw up a design and then they have someone that can make CC and create the outfit on here and see how it might actually move.
    I've recreated my own house and gotten a better idea of furniture arrangement. There are some great tools here and modding tools too.