Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question - Why do so many people think the new Game Pack is going to be Star Wars themed?

Seriously, the amount of people who are referring to it as a potential Star Wars game pack is laughable :joy: What evidence is there at all that this pack is themed around Star Wars? Space, yeah, that's possible, but I don't think that there'll be a whole pack dedicated to Endor since the costumes they added a while back completely flopped :joy:

Also, I saw a poll asking people if they'd be disappointed it if was an Outer Space/Star Wars pack. Most of the people said they would be, and I read a few of those comments. They were complaining about the Star Wars half and not the Outer Space pack 99.99% of the time :joy:

Seriously, the odds of them making this an actual game pack is probably less than The Sims 5 dropping next week. So please, if you genuinely think this could be the next game pack theme, explain to me why?
funny-gifs20.gif

Comments

• MoonfoxNightcryMoonfoxNightcry Posts: 296 Member
    edited August 2020
    ^ this.

The instant I saw it I knew “that’s Batuu”. We went to Disneyland in December (from Australia) and spent most of our time in Batuu. This icon is exactly the same as the images they use in the park, just with Sims 4 colouring. I see absolutely no way for this pack to be anything else.
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    > @MoonfoxNightcry said:
    > ^ this.
    >
    > The instant I saw it I knew “that’s Batuu”. We went to Disneyland in December (from Australia) and spent most of our time in Batuu. This icon is exactly the same as the images they use in the park, just with Sims 4 colouring. I see absolutely no way for this pack to be anything else.

I've looked at other explanations of what this could be, but none of the other theories really seem to fit the icon. Like, I don't see that as a mountain you could ski down, the buildings don't look like a "ski hut," and the three big circles seem to fit Batuu's three suns way better than they do snowflakes. Likewise, the idea of the circles as air bubbles underwater doesn't make sense to me, and the clues people have said might point to it being an underwater/Atlantis pack seem like real stretches. Farming? Not at all.

I can see it being a more generic space or future-themed pack, but it looks astonishingly like Batuu to me, way more than it would need to if it was going to be generic.

I'm a fan of Star Wars, so I'm not disappointed if it's Star Wars. I might be disappointed if it's a bad pack, but the subject matter doesn't bother me and I can see how it might be great. However, SW wouldn't have been my first choice even for a pack of weird stuff.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    kemowery wrote: »
    I've looked at other explanations of what this could be, but none of the other theories really seem to fit the icon. Like, I don't see that as a mountain you could ski down, the buildings don't look like a "ski hut," and the three big circles seem to fit Batuu's three suns way better than they do snowflakes. Likewise, the idea of the circles as air bubbles underwater doesn't make sense to me, and the clues people have said might point to it being an underwater/Atlantis pack seem like real stretches. Farming? Not at all.

Yeah, the biggest problem with all the other interpretations I’ve seen is just the Occam’s razor of graphic design. The point of the pack logos is to get across the pack’s theme instantly. Look at any of the other logos. Camping? A campfire! Vampires? Vampire fangs! Dining? Fork and knife! Spa? Lotus!

If this were a winter pack, it’d be skis or a snowflake or a pine tree and we’d see it and KNOW it was a winter pack. If it was farming it’d be wheat stalks or a pig. If it was underwater it would be a shark or coral or a scuba diver.

So why is it... this? You’d think you’d want it to be something instantly recognized, and yet most people don’t.

But SOME people did instantly recognize it. With alarming frequency people who had been to (or been nerding out about) Galaxy’s Edge all recognized it immediately. It turns out it is instantly recognizable if you have the context.

Which is why we’re also speculating that it’s specifically a Batuu pack, and not a general Star Wars pack. If it was Star Wars pack, you’d put Yoda or a lightsaber or the Death Star.

No, this is a Batuu pack. It’s likely at least somewhat encouraged by Disney to EA to promote their theme park. And likely the world will work the same as the fiction surrounding it in the park. With sims being visitors to that world much the way park guests are treated as in-universe visitors to Batuu.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    Doesn't the fact that the icon is *so* similar (copied almost) to the Star Wars pin ring alarm bells? Personally, I think it's another hoax...
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    edited August 2020
    Doesn't the fact that the icon is *so* similar (copied almost) to the Star Wars pin ring alarm bells? Personally, I think it's another hoax...

A hoax on their own official website? I don't think so.

They also edited the images now so the icon isn't there anymore. Oh, that says enough.
  • SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    I actually would love it as a theme park pack. This would be cool.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited August 2020
    Seriously, the amount of people who are referring to it as a potential Star Wars game pack is laughable :joy: What evidence is there at all that this pack is themed around Star Wars? Space, yeah, that's possible, but I don't think that there'll be a whole pack dedicated to Endor since the costumes they added a while back completely flopped :joy:

Seriously, the odds of them making this an actual game pack is probably less than The Sims 5 dropping next week. So please, if you genuinely think this could be the next game pack theme, explain to me why?

@Ivyeyed has pretty much summed it all up in above post, but in case you’re still wondering, there’s a whole thread going on with possible theories behind twitter hints and iconography that seem to point at the possibility that it’s a Star Wars inspired pack.
    The thread turned into a complete tome though, but just in case you’re interested in some light reading material... ;)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/979417/next-game-pack-icon-leaked-on-official-sims-website/p1
    Also, I saw a poll asking people if they'd be disappointed it if was an Outer Space/Star Wars pack. Most of the people said they would be, and I read a few of those comments. They were complaining about the Star Wars half and not the Outer Space pack 99.99% of the time :joy:

True, a majority of existing (vocal) simmers may not be interested in a Star Wars pack, however, its inclusion could attract new players. There’s a HUGE amount of Star Wars fans who’s current disinterest in The Sims could change if a Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge Game Pack was to be released. Some will buy and play anything Star Wars related. It’s a great marketing stunt, because in order to buy this pack they’ll have to invest in the TS4 Basegame.

TS4 is currently on sale and it will probably remain this way until the new GP is released ( which can’t be later than September according to the roadmap.).
    Once new players have invested in the base game, they may consider buying other DLC too. Once you’re in, you’re in.
    And remember this is not Moschino. This is Star Wars. It makes sense from EA’s point of view.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    I'm going out on a limb to say I do think this GP will have multiplayer. It would seem to fit the 'Traveller' pin theme, a world (on a server) where your Sim travels to this place. Don't know what you would do there, but I think that would cover the statements about a major first for them in The Sims. TSO doesn't count in respect to it was a seperate game. Simport doesn't count because the other person wasn't actually playing in 'your' game. But if Sims could travel to a world on a server then it would be a first for them in The Sims, within the actual series main game.

Think about it, I see the Traveler pin as the actual hint and not necessarily a Star Wars pack but related in some way. It is adverstising travel, a particular world(park) in a Disney theme park. I think I have guessed it correctly, if not, at least what I'm thinking about this leak seems more likely than not. Because they can't say for the first time ever they get to build assets from a major producer (Disney) for The Sims, that wouldn't be true since they built all sorts of assets for ShowTime, and Katy Perry content. It can't just be a world where your Sims 'travel' there is plenty of that stuff through out the entire series. So, a major first would be you sending your Sims to a multiplayer world within the main series' game.

With all that said it is a destination world in my opinion. And as I said, multiplayer world. (guessing)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    edited August 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb to say I do think this GP will have multiplayer. It would seem to fit the 'Traveller' pin theme, a world (on a server) where your Sim travels to this place. Don't know what you would do there, but I think that would cover the statements about a major first for them in The Sims. TSO doesn't count in respect to it was a seperate game. Simport doesn't count because the other person wasn't actually playing in 'your' game. But if Sims could travel to a world on a server then it would be a first for them in The Sims, within the actual series main game.

Think about it, I see the Traveler pin as the actual hint and not necessarily a Star Wars pack but related in some way. It is adverstising travel, a particular world(park) in a Disney theme park. I think I have guessed it correctly, if not, at least what I'm thinking about this leak seems more likely than not. Because they can't say for the first time ever they get to build assets from a major producer (Disney) for The Sims, that wouldn't be true since they built all sorts of assets for ShowTime, and Katy Perry content. It can't just be a world where your Sims 'travel' there is plenty of that stuff through out the entire series. So, a major first would be you sending your Sims to a multiplayer world within the main series' game.

With all that said it is a destination world in my opinion. And as I said, multiplayer world. (guessing)

That'ld so disapointing. I want sci fi but not multiplayer. To the point that i wouldn't be buying it ever! But it kind of makes sense considering the latest steps: the spark'd competition, the reality show... it may be the end of the line for me 😪
    edited August 2020

I doubt it. The “traveler” pin is just an example from the park about how the logos are similar. It’s not something from EA.

I just also doubt they’d lock the bulk of the tie-in gameplay with a huge draw IP like this to being online. A “multiplayer” DLC is probably not going to happen (if they did add multiplayer it’d probably be a basegame update - granted very possibly also with some DLC meant to take advantage of it more fully, but it probably won’t come) and if they did add multiplayer it’s unlikely to be themed specifically to one major IP like this.

You both don’t want to ostracize the Star Wars players you might attract by locking their gameplay behind multiplayer/internet access, and you wouldn’t want to ostracize players who might be interested in multiplayer by tying to an IP they might not care about.

ETA: Plus, the only reason we had to suspect they might be considering multiplayer was a corporate interview that mentioned socializing and competition, and I think that’s already covered by the Spark’d challenges. There’s no reason to think it extended beyond that.

Like, I don’t think they’re adding multiplayer to the game at all. But if they are, not tied into a Star Wars pack.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited August 2020

I don't think it's a hoax, but there is a chance that the artist simply used the Galaxy's Edge travelers pin as an inspiration to make the logo and the theme might be space but not necessarily Star Wars.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited August 2020
    Ivyeyed wrote: »

I doubt it. The “traveler” pin is just an example from the park about how the logos are similar. It’s not something from EA.

I just also doubt they’d lock the bulk of the tie-in gameplay with a huge draw IP like this to being online. A “multiplayer” DLC is probably not going to happen (if they did add multiplayer it’d probably be a basegame update - granted very possibly also with some DLC meant to take advantage of it more fully, but it probably won’t come) and if they did add multiplayer it’s unlikely to be themed specifically to one major IP like this.

You both don’t want to ostracize the Star Wars players you might attract by locking their gameplay behind multiplayer/internet access, and you wouldn’t want to ostracize players who might be interested in multiplayer by tying to an IP they might not care about.

ETA: Plus, the only reason we had to suspect they might be considering multiplayer was a corporate interview that mentioned socializing and competition, and I think that’s already covered by the Spark’d challenges. There’s no reason to think it extended beyond that.

Like, I don’t think they’re adding multiplayer to the game at all. But if they are, not tied into a Star Wars pack.

lol, SW players play behind a locked multiplayer/internet access requirement, so I don't see how that would hinder them since they all play online. And who better to connect a multiplayer than Disney. I think I'm at least half right. ETA: You seem to forget this GP is supposed to be a major first for the series...now, what would that be? other than multiplayer in the series' main game?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

lol, SW players play behind a locked multiplayer/internet access requirement, so I don't see how that would hinder them since they all play online. And who better to connect a multiplayer than Disney. I think I'm at least half right. ETA: You seem to forget this GP is supposed to be a major first for the series...now, what would that be? other than multiplayer in the series' main game?

I mean, STAR WARS, and not just costumes or Easter egg objects, but actual STAR WARS gameplay would, uh, be a major first.

I really don’t understand this “they put a Leia bun and baby yoda in the game so it’s been done before! It’s not a major first!”

By that criteria nothing would be a major first. Might as well say there’s nothing new about farming because there’s a painting of a barn and a chicken statue. There’s literally nothing that would qualify as a major first if those kinds of tenuous similarities are enough to discount it. Even multiplayer wouldn’t be a major first because of the gallery and sim port.

There has never been a Star Wars pack before! That is a first! Star Wars is a global juggernaut of a franchise! That’s pretty major! That’s it. There’s no need to try to extrapolate beyond that.
    Sometimes I stream.

• Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    I wonder how many people will be upset and complaining if this doesn't turn out to be a Star Wars pack.....

But really...who says it's going to be a Star Wars pack? We can't assume just because of the icon. We have to be realistic about this. The icon may be just a placeholder for something else and may be changed....this could turn out to a pack dedicated to Sixam. Or the pack may turn out to be something entirely different,such as a farming pack,an amusement park pack or a winter vacation pack. Nothing is set in stone.

Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

I don't think they would do multiplayer for just one gamepack. It would require too much money and manpower.
  • cherrysim_cherrysim_ Posts: 25 Member
    What I don't get is who on earth thought making a star wars pack would be a good idea? Did anyone ask for a star wars or space related game pack?
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    cherrysim_ wrote: »
    What I don't get is who on earth thought making a star wars pack would be a good idea? Did anyone ask for a star wars or space related game pack?

Disney probably wants some cross promo for Galaxy's edge.

And while no one has asked for Star Wars in specific, I have seen people ask for a space pack/improved aliens/expanded Sixam.

Not everyone just wants to play Sims as normal life. We may not be the majority, but we're a sizable minority.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    Did anyone ask for a star wars or space related game pack?

I might have asked for a space related game pack.

Oops.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    cherrysim_ wrote: »

I didn't ask for Star Wars but I'll take it if that's what this truely is. I did ask for space and more science fiction though.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member

Oops.

I might not have asked, but I still want it now. Just not Star Wars specifically, it'd be absolutely ridiculous to see a teenager covered in the parenthood acne waving a lightsaber while blindfolded. Nope, I'd prefer improved aliens and Sixam as a livable world. Plus, if that's what this pack is, it opens up them doing the same thing for Mermaids, which are absolute crap.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member

Oops.

I might not have asked, but I still want it now. Just not Star Wars specifically, it'd be absolutely ridiculous to see a teenager covered in the parenthood acne waving a lightsaber while blindfolded. Nope, I'd prefer improved aliens and Sixam as a livable world. Plus, if that's what this pack is, it opens up them doing the same thing for Mermaids, which are absolute 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

Why would they look ridiculous? It would be like kung fu, and no one says teens and younger look ridiculous practicing martial arts.
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

Oops.

I might not have asked, but I still want it now. Just not Star Wars specifically, it'd be absolutely ridiculous to see a teenager covered in the parenthood acne waving a lightsaber while blindfolded. Nope, I'd prefer improved aliens and Sixam as a livable world. Plus, if that's what this pack is, it opens up them doing the same thing for Mermaids, which are absolute 🌺🌺🌺🌺.

Why would they look ridiculous? It would be like kung fu, and no one says teens and younger look ridiculous practicing martial arts.

I couldn't find the exact gif I was looking for, but this is close enough.
    tumblr_mh1ehkgLbU1s14aeuo1_500.gif

funny-gifs20.gif

• calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I can see it now...Darth Landgraab, Luke Zest, Hans Lothario, Princess Caliente. :D
  • kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    calaprfy wrote: »
    I can see it now...Darth Landgraab, Luke Zest, Hans Lothario, Princess Caliente. :D

A gold bikini swimsuit ....