Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't catch red assassin bugs

My sim has a mission in china to catch 2 red assassin bugs, but every time she tries to catch one she acts like she got stung and fails to catch anything. This has happened 4 times now and its getting a little frustrating. How is she supposed to catch one? Does she need to have a certain skill?

Comments

• Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    No, its just a random luck of the draw. They don't spawn very often and they are not easy to catch. I have disliked this mission, too.

Having the "gatherer" trait might help.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    There have been times when I've had to send my sim back to China to finally catch one of those bugs. They are very hard to find, then hard to catch once you've found them.
  • Options
    carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Yep. As the other two have said, it's hard for everybody. Just keep trying. You might have to take another trip or two to be successful in catching them. If you're not opposed to cheating, you can use the buydebug on cheat after the testingcheatsenabled true cheat to get the proper bug spawner onto a lot in Edit Town mode and then get it that way. It's still not guaranteed, but it'll probably be a bit faster.
  • Options
    nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    Has your Sim caught a lot of other bugs? I find with new Sims I start playing it gets easier to catch the next bug after they have caught some already.
  • Options
    SeashoreLiviaSeashoreLivia Posts: 833 Member
    Has your Sim caught a lot of other bugs? I find with new Sims I start playing it gets easier to catch the next bug after they have caught some already.

No she hasn't caught any bugs yet. Thanks for the help everyone! I guess I'll keep trying and maybe catch some other bugs first.

• Options
    She finally caught one! She also found a pet rat so I ended the vacation early so I could buy a cage for it.
  • Options
    SqueemotasticSqueemotastic Posts: 25 Member
    I love the tomb exploring part of adventuring but some of these requirements are really frustrating! I learned through experience to have my second or third generation be the explorer and to have his/her older relatives make advance trips to acquire some of the things they will need. Another bug I think is the scarab beetle? And/or the cerambyx beetle from France? I know one of the French tombs requires a couple of pomegranates of a certain quality as well.It is also helpful you have the martial arts equipment at your home so your teen can start learning while still in school and begin meditating as soon as possible! There are a few bombs where zeneporting (or using tranquil transport) eliminates the cheat work arounds that other simmers have resorted to.
  • Options
    isabel_santos87isabel_santos87 Posts: 272 Member
    Catching bugs is a hidden skill that goes up to level 10, which means that the more bugs your sim catches the better they get at it. So keep on catching more common bugs to help your sim level up and later it's easier for them to catch the rarest bugs like the red assassins. ;)
  • Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited August 2020
    If you want to do all of the adventures don't let your sim get to level 10 in Martial Arts until you do the adventure that requires them to get to level 10 in Martial Arts. If they are already at level 10 the rest of the adventure chain doesn't trigger. I found this out and fortunately was able to use Master Controller to reduce the sim's skill level in martial arts by a tiny bit thereby allowing him to complete the adventure chain.
  • Options
    Karritz wrote: »
    If you want to do all of the adventures don't let your sim get to level 10 in Martial Arts until you do the adventure that requires them to get to level 10 in Martial Arts. If they are already at level 10 the rest of the adventure chain doesn't trigger. I found this out and fortunately was able to use Master Controller to reduce the sim's skill level in martial arts by a tiny bit thereby allowing him to complete the adventure chain.

Thanks for the tip! She’s currently on the adventure where she has to meditate at the garden, so I’m still levelling her martial arts skill for that.