Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If the next GamePack is a Star Wars/Space Pack...

Comments

• Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    Other
    I wasn't sure which option to pick, as I'd like a space themed pack (especially if it's a proper world you can live in and not a destination world), but I don't really like star wars. I don't know star wars that well and have no interest in it, so I wouldn't like too many references or to miss out on parts of the pack due to that. Lightsabers or a world vaguely based on it would be fine, but not too much. I want to be able to create my own world, story, etc. and not be forced down some star wars route.
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited August 2020
    Happy. I Like the Theme of Outer Space Exploration
    logion wrote: »
    Doing the polar opposite of what players ask for is so on brand for Sims, but even then I don’t think they would make a whole Star Wars pack. If it is a Star Wars pack I expect the developers to get the appropriate backlash over it.

I'm not entirely sure the developers are to blame if this is a Star Wars pack, it does sound like something that EA and Disney probably requested Maxis to make.

Still, they made Eco Lifestyle, so maybe Maxis wanted to make this after all...

Quit being so naive. Is there a shred of evidence to support that? The developers have went on record saying how autonomous they are and how EA doesn’t dictate what they produce. So which is it? Cause it can’t be both.

As far as I’m concerned these devs make their own choices since that’s what they tell us. When those choices are poorly received they hide behind EA because their hands were tied, lack of resources, performance concerns, etc.

Those now in control of the Star Wars brand keep a tight rein on what can & can’t be done with it. I very, very much doubt any of the devs have the power to make the decision that a pack will be created using the Star Wars IP. If there is a Star Wars pack coming, it’s a lot more believable to think EA told them to make it. EA wants to milk their Star Wars license as much as possible while they still have it.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Other
    At this point I'm mildly curious. I'm sure I'd find something to incorporate into my style of gameplay.
  • Options
    Leahmiller2006Leahmiller2006 Posts: 354 Member
    edited August 2020
    Other
    I WILL DELETE THE SIMS IF ITS STAR WARS😂
    Let Your Smile Change Your World, But Don't Let The World Change Your Smile.

5K Mud Run For Cancer Research, 14 July 2018.
    Sims 4, 25th December 2014
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited August 2020
    Dissapointed. I much prefer them to focus on a different theme than the space/Star wars
    Doing the polar opposite of what players ask for is so on brand for Sims, but even then I don’t think they would make a whole Star Wars pack. If it is a Star Wars pack I expect the developers to get the appropriate backlash over it.

I'm not entirely sure the developers are to blame if this is a Star Wars pack, it does sound like something that EA and Disney probably requested Maxis to make.

Quit being so naive. Is there a shred of evidence to support that? The developers have went on record saying how autonomous they are and how EA doesn’t dictate what they produce. So which is it? Cause it can’t be both.

As far as I’m concerned these devs make their own choices since that’s what they tell us. When those choices are poorly received they hide behind EA because their hands were tied, lack of resources, performance concerns, etc.

Maybe you are right, I have always thought that the agreement between a game developer and a publisher is something that they negotiate all the time since there is so much money involved. So sometimes the publisher have more control. Publishers often don't want to give game developers money if they don't think what they are making is not going to sell.

I think Maxis has a lot of freedom in what they get to make, if this is Star Wars though, and if it is Galaxy's Edge, which people seem to suspect, then that really sounds like something that Disney would like to do to get people interested in their parks.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Other
    hyrulerose wrote: »

Those now in control of the Star Wars brand keep a tight rein on what can & can’t be done with it. I very, very much doubt any of the devs have the power to make the decision that a pack will be created using the Star Wars IP. If there is a Star Wars pack coming, it’s a lot more believable to think EA told them to make it. EA wants to milk their Star Wars license as much as possible while they still have it.

Of course that’s why they’ve been plugging Sims 4 with Star Wars stuff for years now. It would be a shame if they waste what little resources they seem to ever have on a marketing plug that would cost players $20.
  • Options
    DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,355 Member
    Other
    You're acting as if the Sims Team aren't geeky enough to want to make a Star Wars Pack.

Probably went more like

Disney: Hey, EA, we want a promo for Galaxy's Edge
    EA: I think we know just the group for that
    Sims Team: We get to do something Star Wars? As a full pack? Hooray!
  • Options
    PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    I want a pack as far from knitting as possible, if it is Star Wars fine!
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »
    You're acting as if the Sims Team aren't geeky enough to want to make a Star Wars Pack.

Probably went more like

Disney: Hey, EA, we want a promo for Galaxy's Edge
    EA: I think we know just the group for that
    Sims Team: We get to do something Star Wars? As a full pack? Hooray!

Oh, I wasn’t saying that. Just that the decision-making as far as the use of the brand is likely not in their power. I’m sure the team would be overjoyed to get to make a Star Wars pack.
  • Options
    sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    Dissapointed. I much prefer them to focus on a different theme than the space/Star wars
    I'm a huge fan of Star Wars, but I genuinely think it does not belong as a Sims expansion/game pack. Even if EA has the rights to Star Wars, it's inappropriate for The Sims to revolve a pack around it. Just play Star Wars games instead.

I think it would be fine for The Sims to give "a nod" to Star Wars, like they already do with the baby Yoda gnome and just a few other things. But don't revolve an entire pack around it. This would just be a marketing/executive ploy to get brand awareness for Star Wars.

The customers did not ask for this. ...Did they? I mean, really, who here explicitly asked for it?
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • Options
    HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Heck yeah bring it! I love sci-fi generally and already tell plenty of stories with those themes. An alien destination world, especially one we could have our sims live in is a dream. I'm wanting all the things for this series so I just enjoy them as they come.
    egTcBMc.png
  • Options
    SimKonfettiSimKonfetti Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited August 2020
    As already said in other threads about the topic: I am disappointed. With all the hints in the last trailer for Knifty Knitting and the last surveys, I was really expecting a theme with replayability, everyday-life aspects and more in-depth gameplay (as sledding, better babies, a school and tricycles for kids were shown in the remiscence-action in the trailer, the surveys featured lots of stuff like personality/attraction systems and we did have hints for weddings and such).

I am not much of a scifi and/or occult fan. I'd be happy with the theme if it was a theme park and came with a hotel/resort option whereas hotels/resorts should be able to be run in all worlds, living and vacation worlds. But another story driven, franchised pack like Strangerville (this one wasn't franchised, I know, but it did go along with the whole Stranger Things hype you must admit) does not hold any replay value whatsoever for most play styles.

Please don't forget that many occult players are also family players and they were let down completely by the previous occult packs. So they might be happy for more supernatural/scifi content, but they do miss the more in-depth, replayable features of the previous Sims games too. More in-depth gameplay would enhance all play styles.

I also noticed some gamechangers seem to have expressed disappointment too. I do think a SW pack will be kind of a backlash. You can also see that by more than 50% of voters in this thread expressing their disappointment.
  • Options
    GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Heck yeah bring it! I love sci-fi generally and already tell plenty of stories with those themes. An alien destination world, especially one we could have our sims live in is a dream. I'm wanting all the things for this series so I just enjoy them as they come.

I couldn’t have said it better myself! :)
  • Options
    CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I'm definitely interested to see what they could add in a pack like this. I love science fiction of all kinds (including Star Wars) so I'm sure I could use this.

Not sure how it's a "major first" though. They've done space before, they've done brand collabs before, and we do have some Star Wars stuff already in our games. I'm hoping the "major first" will reveal itself in the game play added.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • Options
    ashcrash19ashcrash19 Posts: 4,407 Member
    I enjoy Star Wars films/lore and loved aspects of Into the Future in The Sims 3. I think it has potential to be really fun if done right.
    "Not All Who Wander Are Lost"-Tolkien
    Origin ID: simaddict1990
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    I'd be happy, particularly if our sims can live on customizable space ships and aliens can get some much-needed upgrades. Plus, it not being another slice-of-life, everyday-living pack would be a big relief for me. I'd prefer werewolves as the next GP theme, but I would not be mad at some more sci-fi.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    EliasVersaceEliasVersace Posts: 477 Member
    edited August 2020
    Dakota88 wrote: »
    As already said in other threads about the topic: I am disappointed. With all the hints in the last trailer for Knifty Knitting and the last surveys, I was really expecting a theme with replayability, everyday-life aspects and more in-depth gameplay (as sledding, better babies, a school and tricycles for kids were shown in the remiscence-action in the trailer, the surveys featured lots of stuff like personality/attraction systems and we did have hints for weddings and such).

I am not much of a scifi and/or occult fan. I'd be happy with the theme if it was a theme park and came with a hotel/resort option whereas hotels/resorts should be able to be run in all worlds, living and vacation worlds. But another story driven, franchised pack like Strangerville (this one wasn't franchised, I know, but it did go along with the whole Stranger Things hype you must admit) does not hold any replay value whatsoever for most play styles.

Please don't forget that many occult players are also family players and they were let down completely by the previous occult packs. So they might be happy for more supernatural/scifi content, but they do miss the more in-depth, replayable features of the previous Sims games too. More in-depth gameplay would enhance all play styles.

I also noticed some gamechangers seem to have expressed disappointment too. I do think a SW pack will be kind of a backlash. You can also see that by more than 50% of voters in this thread expressing their disappointment.

I honestly think most of the things you mention are coming to the game. But it will take some time. I can totally see why people are cautious with this GP theme at this point in TS4's timeline. But maybe it will make sense afterwards? Maybe the following packs will be Winter Retreat and Romance or Farming and they needed a pack in the fall to break the chain of realism? Who's to say.
    Post edited by EliasVersace on
  • Options
    Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    We need to start having packs that offer us long-term gameplay,and I don't think a Star Wars pack can offer long-term gameplay.Packs such as an amusement park GP a farming GP or a a vacation destination GP can offer much more gameplay than just a Star Wars pack.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • Options
    OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    All depends on what it is. I hate the idea of brand deals and a pack that just pushes some star wars game so if it's like that, then I don't want it.
  • Options
    Nekomata19Nekomata19 Posts: 105 Member
    I really don't care for space things. Though, I suppose if it were based off Spaceballs I might reconsider, lol.
  • Options
    SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    edited August 2020
    We need to start having packs that offer us long-term gameplay,and I don't think a Star Wars pack can offer long-term gameplay.Packs such as an amusement park GP a farming GP or a a vacation destination GP can offer much more gameplay than just a Star Wars pack.

Maybe a space/Star Wars pack wouldn't provide you with long-term gameplay, but it certainly would provide players like me with it if it's executed properly. Like I said, customizable, liveable spaceships; alien upgrades; and a full alien world for sims to live on would be the absolute best way to do a pack like this. If there's Force powers (or some parody of that) too...well, I wouldn't turn my nose up at that, either...especially if they let you Force Choke people. I would forgive 50% of this game's sins if they put that in... >:)
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • Options
    kemowerykemowery Posts: 371 Member
    Theme does not matter to me as long as it is worth the money.
    > @SimsLovinLycan said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Maybe a space/Star Wars pack wouldn't provide you with long-term gameplay, but it certainly would provide players like me with it if it's executed properly. Like I said, customizable, liveable spaceships; alien upgrades; and a full alien world for sims to live on would be the absolute best way to do a pack like this. If there's Force powers (or some parody of that) too...well, I wouldn't turn my nose up at that, either...especially if they let you Force Choke people. I would forgive 50% of this game's sins if they put that in... >:)

If this is a Star Wars pack, I personally think it'll be a vacation destination, themed like Galaxy's Edge in the Disney Parks. I'm okay with that if it gives me cool stuff in build mode and CAS. I'd *like* for it to let you build your own droids (and lightsabers), have lightsaber duels, interact with movie characters, dress up like Star Wars characters, and have some sort of storyline that can be finished and reset like Strangerville.

I'm always trying to think of ways I'd like to do a complete rebuild of the game, maybe put up a save file where I've remade everything on a single theme.

Before the new icon leak, I was lamenting that there wasn't some sort of Ren Faire pack, where sims can visit the Ren Faire but it's also got a ton of medieval clothing and stuff for build mode, and maybe reintroduce fairies into the game and also allow you to add pointy ears to your sims even if they're not spellcasters. Because rebuilding the entire sims world into a fantasy world would be pretty neat. But if they do a Star Wars pack and I can make everything look like it's from Star Wars, I'm pretty cool with that, too.
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I highly doubt it's a Star Wars pack, haven't they already done a Star Wars collaboration?

Anyways, I just want more weird and out of the ordinary things for my my sims to do. There aren't many packs that are good for that other than sci-fi stuff, so I'm happy.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited August 2020
    I want GTW to be updated heavily. We have aliens and Sixam, but they are lacking. I don't play with either, but I would be more compelled if they weren't so lacking. But a space pack? I can't see myself using that more than once. I'm not a fan of destination worlds as it is, but a space vacation is so specific that it would be practically useless in my every day game.
    A Star Wars pack is even more bizarre to me. I have watched all the Star Wars movies and found them decent, but I have zero interest in playing a game about it - even less to play it in THE SIMS. The most interesting part about Star Wars, to me, is the lore. As others have mentioned, EA probably won't be allowed to incorporate much lore for legal reasons. So what is left? A larger Magic Realm and a lightsaber dueling platform?

If this is the "futuristic" DLC for TS4, I'd be even more disappointed. I really want an eco, utopian city with shiny steel, concrete, greenery and waterfalls. Sure, build mode wise Star Wars could fill out a more apocalyptic futuristic style. If this is an apocalyptic desert with aliens and robots that brings more crime (space pirates and smugglers), survival gameplay and uses for collectables to monetize them (using metals and jewels to create jewelry, gadgets, furniture etc), maybe I'd be more interested. Knowing EA, it probably isn't apocalyptic or particularly grungy. We'll probably get even more oversized machines that look ridiculous placed on home lots.

I can't say that I hate this theoretical pack before I've seen any trailers, but I strongly dislike the possible theme. There are literally dozens of themes that would make the game so much better, but EA seems determined to do everything except what we're asking for. These packs are DLC you bring out AFTER the game is complete, for extra fun. We are still at an incomplete game. TS4 at this point feels like a handful of devs wanted to make their own personal passion project Indie game but on an AAA scale.
  • Options
    Erja888Erja888 Posts: 4,838 Member
    I'd be very disappointed, because I am interested in different kinds of packs e.g. farming, music/bands, romance, weddings, generations, etc..
    I'd love to see a singing career in game, EA! You can't let the singing skill go to waste! My TS4 EPs: GTW, GT, CL, C&D, S, GF, IL, DU, EL, SE, CoL, HSY, GrT, HR, FR GPs: OR, SD, DO, V, P, JA, SV, RoM, DHD, MWS