Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are weddings still a thing in the Sims?

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sadiesue wrote: »
    I only did a couple weddings years ago when I first started playing. The first one I ever did didn’t turn out too bad but it was stressful. The second one was disastrous. I had it at Willow Creek park. I still remember it. Lol. I forgot the cake and the caterer didn’t show up. It started raining and my bride peed herself because I was focused on other things and the groom was passed out in gazebo from exhaustion. (This was before I knew you could cheat their needs). Then one of my elderly guests decided it was her time to go and died. Everyone was standing around the dead elder crying and fearing the reaper. I swore to never do another one so I just have them elope. But I try to make the elopement as romantic as possible by buying the arch and having them exchange their vows in their backyard in their formal attire or take them somewhere where the scenery is breathtaking depending on how vested I am with Sims I’m playing. I just had my favorite couple elope in front of the waterfall in Sulani not too long ago. It was very romantic and they were able to “celebrate” their marriage after😉.

One of my favorite elopements was a while ago; I had a Sim who got access to Sylvan Glade, so I sent her there then had her summon her fiancee Summer Holiday. Spun them both into formalwear and did the deed.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    From what I've seen weddings are a glitchy mess now. Tried getting my sim married a few weeks ago and it was very stressful, first try absolutely nobody showed up. Not even the groom. Second try a grand total of 3 people appeared out of the 15 I invited and it was raining so everyone was miserable as it was an outdoors venue. By the time I got rid of the rain the event was practically over.

I make sure the bride and groom are already living together before I set the wedding date -- that way I at least ensure the groom shows up. One problem is that if a Sim is invited, they have to already have the day off work otherwise they won't show up. Another problem is that only the Sim planning the event can invite people; if the other partner has friends/family who aren't in the planner's relationship panel, those folks won't get invited. Pretty one-sided. :|
    I always have the couple live together first as well, even if they move in just the day before I want the wedding. I make sure to invite both families/friends over for a dinner party shortly before (like a rehearsal dinner), just to make sure they know everyone.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    Another problem is that only the Sim planning the event can invite people; if the other partner has friends/family who aren't in the planner's relationship panel, those folks won't get invited. Pretty one-sided. :|
    This is the main reason I dread events because it’s such a pain to get the right crowd invited. If they just put all the household contacts together I’d throw a lot more parties. Not to mention they forget sims constantly that I KNOW THEY KNEW and I only have 32 sims I play on rotation so I don’t get why relationship culling is even necessary in my game. But that’s a whole ‘nother thing.
  • SadiesueSadiesue Posts: 128 Member
    @stilljustme2 I never thought of Sylvan Glade! I will have try that on my next couple. Thank you!
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    edited July 2020
    I stage weddings. In my heart and in my head, they are married by clergy from their Faith. Doesn't always work out well, but I tried recently to get pictures as the groomsmen and then then groom walk down the aisle. Then the ladies do the same. I don't use the pose player thingie and sometimes my Sims don't cooperate. I suppose if I really wanted things to go off without a hitch, I'd shut off autonomy for a short time. Oh, well. Would that I would think that far ahead. :open_mouth:

As you can see the men are all there, and the bridesmaids, too, but they're facing the wrong direction. And even though I took the bride into cas.fulleditmode and made sure her gown, hair, make-up and accessories were all exactly as I wanted them. She comes barreling down the runner in a PINK gown. Oh, my dear Little Sims …

l4anEJV.jpg

I've also learned it's better not to have a place for Sims to sit. They rarely use the chairs/benches or what have you.

boEJWPp.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Becka28 wrote: »
    I love doing weddings in the game and making each one as unique and related to my sims stories as possible. Building small venues helps keep guests on track. Or forming a group and getting guests seated before you start the ceremony makes them watch the wedding a lot easier. I imagine sims have their own beliefs and traditions so the lack of formal religion doesnt bother me. My last wedding ceremony was at the Von Haunt Estate. I had to teleport sims to the arch but they all stayed and watched the ceremony. I play with autinomy on.

Putting sims in a group is a great idea! If you are doing the goals it can help there too
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I have lots of married sims in my game but all of the elope in my saves.

A fancy elopement might use the arch but mostly I let them travel to a nice spot and elope by themselves.

I had a big wedding myself and that was all the wedding-gameplay I need. Now I prefer something romantic between two sims.
  • NindigoNindigo Posts: 2,764 Member
    My Sims most often simply elope on the spot. I like simple. Wish I could just do it like that in real life, too. But my spouse-to-be would probably not be too thrilled to do it that way :#

Origin ID: Nindigo79

A smile is the prettiest thing you can wear
    Time enjoyed is never time wasted

• sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    @becka28 Your weddings are always so beautiful!!
    I usually do on-the-spot/elopement weddings or a destination wedding to Sulani with just the bride and groom and immediate family (all in the same household so i can get them coordinated). I usually have the elopements in a cool spot that fits the couples' personality, like Geekcon or the Magic Realm. I used to have spontaneous weddings on via MCC but after I had 2 happen in a gross basement, I turned it off.
    Although i do love big weddings. The craziest things happen there. I had a bride who was apparently pregnant randomly scream her good news to her husband during the reception. His parents randomly renewed their vows right after. The last one resulted in Vlad Straud, the grandfather of the groom, get into a very flirty mood and grabbed his wife Caterina Lynx-Straud in a passionate kiss to the disgust of all the other guests lol!! XD Good times
  • muzickmagemuzickmage Posts: 986 Member
    edited July 2020
    I just create the married couple in CAS, and skip the whole frustration of trying to achieve the micro-transactions of a wedding without needing therapy afterwards. Trying to get a wedding party to go just right, or at least pretty good, is like playing bingo. Maybe you'll win, but.... well, its all about just playing the game right lol?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    I can confirm that the fantasize about wedding interaction under the arch works well for all my single sims. :lol:
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited July 2020
    The first wedding I did, was at the bride's parents house. The caterer did make a cake, but the guests started eating it before I could put that wedding topper on it. Time was running out so I had the bride bake a cake. Right after she put it out (since I was distracted getting the groom doing things) someone took a piece again. So THIS TIME I went to make her bake another cake but focus right on her. Next thing I know though, she and the groom were kicked out of the house for 'being intrusive'. :D
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• Kita5399Kita5399 Posts: 2,112 Member
    A few tips and tricks I’ve learned:
    1) make your wedding venue a bar lot type, mixologist shows up automatically no need to hire one
    2) if you have the buffet tables use those instead of a caterer
    3) have someone bake and top the cake before going to the venue, it keeps for 24 hours in your inventory, just make sure to have an empty table to place it on
    4) place a dance floor next to a radio or venue speaker, no need to hire a musician
    5) keep all of these items close together to keep guests from wandering off, minimize other distracting activities available on the lot (I often put venue items such as the tv in an inaccessible basement).
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    @becka28 Your weddings are always so beautiful!!
    I usually do on-the-spot/elopement weddings or a destination wedding to Sulani with just the bride and groom and immediate family (all in the same household so i can get them coordinated). I usually have the elopements in a cool spot that fits the couples' personality, like Geekcon or the Magic Realm. I used to have spontaneous weddings on via MCC but after I had 2 happen in a gross basement, I turned it off.
    Although i do love big weddings. The craziest things happen there. I had a bride who was apparently pregnant randomly scream her good news to her husband during the reception. His parents randomly renewed their vows right after. The last one resulted in Vlad Straud, the grandfather of the groom, get into a very flirty mood and grabbed his wife Caterina Lynx-Straud in a passionate kiss to the disgust of all the other guests lol!! XD Good times

My Simself just moved in another spellcaster and I'm planning an elopement for them -- the dueling grounds might be a good spot. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • cheescaekscheescaeks Posts: 902 Member
    i would like to have more wedding stuff for more variety of weddings. right now its only fun to do with a butt load of cc cause there's only a few wedding dress options, no veil, and no bouquet.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    Weddings need an update for sure.

I don't mind not having an officiant, but can you imagine guests actually sitting down in their assigned seats? lol

And being able to invite friends from both sides?

All the silly rituals like wedding parties, toasts, a first dance, idk. They do have the cake part, but that's about it.

Bachelor/ette and honeymoons would be fun.

It's funny, it's like laundry, in real life weddings are not for me but I enjoy it in game. Mostly, they're a good opportunity for me to advance the story and have some drama go on in them.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    @j1z1 wrote: »
    It's funny, it's like laundry, in real life weddings are not for me..

Haha. I totally get it. Weddings are a real chore!
  • Admiral8QAdmiral8Q Posts: 3,321 Member
    edited July 2020
    A "Perfect Wedding" DLC Stuff Pack would a great idea, come to think of it. Since so many are interested in the wedding aspect. Not just put in items, but a few new aspects as well that fix the mess it can be now. ;)
    Reticulating Splines...
    9ODVlJh.png

• mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I wrote earlier that weddings work fine in my opinion apart from the guest sitting down problems. I would like to add the invite from both sides/whole household issue, but that should really be a fix for all events. Other than that I'm way more interested in having a funeral event than having more wedding stuff.
  • sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    @stilljustme2 Ooh I like that idea! It makes for some great engagement photos. As well as the enchanted garden!
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited July 2020
    they are but I wish they would give us more stuff for them

I couldn't agree more. Six years and TS4 has touched on practically every theme except for romance. (I don't count Romantic Garden Stuff.)
    Kita5399 wrote: »
    I love having weddings in my game, and find most of the guests behave. I usually just choose the non-goal event, because I find being forced to do certain things makes the party too stressful. I just like setting them up and making them look pretty for the most part.
    xOPFhRC.png

That's a beautiful Setting.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I did the wedding thing once or twice and for me, seeing it wasn’t worth all the effort. Ever since, everyone just elopes immediately so it can be over and done with and I can get back to other things.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Marriage is a legal status, not a religious one.

My only quibble with how the wedding event in TS4 plays out is one that took me by surprise the first time I played it: although the option is listed as plan a wedding event, the event in fact occurs immediately. I had to drop an oven into my venue and have my Culinary groomsman bake a cake on the spot!

Later weddings have been properly planned (by me) with a cake ready before I begin the event itself.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    I love having weddings. Most of my sim couples will have a wedding unless the story line opts for something different. It's one of the few things in Sims 4 where I can get good family gameplay bringing everyone in for the event.

Typically my bride and groom have a club with their family members so I'll invite others to the wedding and have them do a group gathering so it brings more friends and family together.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • KruegerKrueger Posts: 130 Member
    edited July 2020
    Admiral8Q wrote: »
    A "Perfect Wedding" DLC Stuff Pack would a great idea, come to think of it. Since so many are interested in the wedding aspect. Not just put in items, but a few new aspects as well that fix the mess it can be now. ;)

One of the options for the first community vote stuff pack was weddings. I'll forever be disappointed that wasn't picked.