Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Really annoying random behavior

Ever since eco life was released my Sims have been doing this super annoying thing 4-5 times a day like they're having an epiphany. Just out of the blue they'll just stop put a finger in the air and exclaim "AHA!"

Anyone else experiencing this? It's really getting annoying.

Comments

• Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    Do you have get to work
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Do you have get to work

Yes, for about 5 years now and they've never done that unless it was accompanied with an inspired moodlet. Artists, Chefs, anything creative usually get the moodlet. However, ever since eco life it's just been random and 4-5 times a day with no associated moodlet. To me it seems like bugged behavior.
    Are any of them in the scientist career
    Are any of them in the scientist career

Nope, one is a tech guru and the other business.
    edited July 2020
    Not yet. I wanted to first find out if others were experiencing this as well. If it's just me and it's a fluke bug in my game, they probably won't do much about it, but if there are many others I definitely will.
  • sunblondsunblond Posts: 1,035 Member
    Nope, mine do it too.
    Origin ID is: sobenewbie
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited July 2020
    It's from the new update, they do that animation when their environment around them changes. They sigh if they think the room does not have many decorations. They do that "a-ha" animation if they think the room is decorated.

I don't understand why no one at Maxis thought that this would not be annoying... People complained that sims got too happy too easily so they added this mechanic, but I don't recall anyone ever saying that they wanted their sim to play an animation every time they go into a different room and their environment changes.

You can download a mod from bienchen here called environmenttweak that will get rid of it: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/

Here is the "bug" on Answer HQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Repetitive-Behavior-Ah-ha-Moments/td-p/9185286 it's not a bug really, just annoying game design.
    edited July 2020
    logion wrote: »
    It's from the new update, they do that animation when their environment around them changes. They sigh if they think the room does not have many decorations. They do that "a-ha" animation if they think the room is decorated.

I don't understand why no one at Maxis thought that this would not be annoying... People complained that sims got too happy too easily so they added this mechanic, but I don't recall anyone ever saying that they wanted their sim to play an animation every time they go into a different room and their environment changes.

You can download a mod from bienchen here called environmenttweak that will get rid of it: https://deichschafblog.de/bienchen/sonstige-mods-misc-mods/

Here is the "bug" on Answer HQ: https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Reports/OPEN-Repetitive-Behavior-Ah-ha-Moments/td-p/9185286 it's not a bug really, just annoying game design.

Yes, it is extremely annoying. As if the dumpster diving hippie edition wasn't enough... They've pretty much ruined this game for me. I'll try the mod to see if it helps. Thanks.

Edit: That mod fixed the game! Thank you :)
    Post edited by Arzekial on
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member

I haven't played in a while so I didn't notice this. Man, why can't it ever be simple? Couldn't they have just tuned it without the extra fillers?
    #Team Occult
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    I wish the idles would ONLY happen when a Sim IS idle. Sick of every action taking longer because of the constant interruptions. And sometimes the task drops after an idle so I have to re-que the task.
  • purplereignpurplereign Posts: 111 Member
    The worst is when they look up at the ceiling, and shudder. And that's when their needs are in the green. The constant picture taking and pulling out the city planner things is super annoying for me, because it cancels out what I want them to do.
    I think the random pulling out a musical instrument and playing is possible the worst idea ever. The Sims I saw doing it, I checked. No music skills, no musical aspirations. They didn't even have an instrument in their inventory. Why are they doing this???
    edited July 2020
    More to add - The game is straight up broken right now. There are so many things wrong: gardening, pointless animation behavior, magic musical instruments, cooking/baking when not even hungry, cleaning up is impossible after a house party; my sims pick up dirty dishes then just set then back down. The game is literally unplayable.

Edit - wanted to add that it's a fresh install. Just installed it today.
    edited July 2020
    If anyone knows of a mod to completely shut down the "neighborhood action plan nonsense I'd really like to know. I had my doubts about it(Eco Lifestyle), but like a doofus bought it because of the sale today. Am now deeply regretting it. It's by far the most incredibly annoying expansion I've ever played. I like absolutely nothing about it and wish I could turn it off.
    Arzekial wrote: »
    If anyone knows of a mod to completely shut down the "neighborhood action plan nonsense I'd really like to know. I had my doubts about it(Eco Lifestyle), but like a doofus bought it because of the sale today. Am now deeply regretting it. It's by far the most incredibly annoying expansion I've ever played. I like absolutely nothing about it and wish I could turn it off.

You can disable packs, James Turner, The sim supply, has a webpage.

https://jamesturner.yt/disablepacks
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member

Best way is to disable NPC voting before you start playing the pack, you can do that in the game options. If you want to remove them manually you have to play a sim in the neighbourhood and then you can remove the active NAPs by using cheats and shift-click the mailbox and select remove NAP.
  • AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    I disabled (JamesTurnerYT) the pack thinking it would fix everything but it did not fix gardening. Some of the stuff causing problems was introduced with the update before the pack was released or a patch. So I enabled the pack again. I found that using options to turn Eco stuff off that the NAPs still go into effect behind the scenes. I still get notifications about voting and my Sim can still vote. My Sims are not makers and they get notifications about gigs they can pick up. The toddler got one. Even using the options to turn stuff off I have kids using the sketch pad that came with the new job with long arms and legs so I disabled the pack again. Then decided that there is no reason to play the game until they fix it. Now I find out today they are releasing a new pack next week so that means another update. Hopefully they fix everything with NAPs and gardening before the knitting pack comes out and introduces new bugs.
    Yes, I don't have eco living, but my Sims can't garden anymore, the plants all turn back into seeds at some point now, after Seasons all the neighborhood plants in other areas, like parks, quit growing.

I really despise packs like those that change the base game with a passion, it's hardly ever an improvement to those of us who are picky about buying packs.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited July 2020
    sunblond wrote: »
    Yes, I don't have eco living, but my Sims can't garden anymore, the plants all turn back into seeds at some point now, after Seasons all the neighborhood plants in other areas, like parks, quit growing.

That sounds really frustrating- I don’t have Eco Lifestyle either and my basil and sage plants shrink down and look like seeds half the time, but they come back the next day fully grown and producing. I saw that other people are experiencing a similar thing with particular herbs. Are you having various plants revert to seeds and never come back? I have played for a few weeks in some households with gardens and their gardens are going strong. Based on what’s going on in your game is it possible they might stop growing after several weeks like this?
    I’ll have to check on my local wild plants but I still see them glimmer in the distance.

ETA to stay on topic I don’t want these weird idle reactions to the environment, either. I think a moodlet would be best, whatever happened to the “unfinished room” moodlet from Sims past when you didn’t have flooring or wall coverings or windows? I miss that because it was realistic. Without personal tastes I don’t see why they should react to their surroundings. But I could get into that if they really did have preferences for wood paneling or 🐸🐸🐸🐸 carpet or something.
  • APottsAPotts Posts: 2,448 Member
    I don't understand why no one at Maxis thought that this would not be annoying...

Maxis is an expert at adding cute ideas to the game and beating Simmers over the head with them. Like so many other things, this would be adorable if it only happened on a rare occasion, but Maxis doesn't know where to stop.

Really, the game would be so much better if they practiced moderation once in a while.

I suppose they do this to keep people from complaining that things don't happen in their game, but personally I prefer the things that happen less often, gives me something to get excited about, and Sims 4 could certainly use that.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Parents are crap at caring for babies now.

Best way is to disable NPC voting before you start playing the pack, you can do that in the game options. If you want to remove them manually you have to play a sim in the neighbourhood and then you can remove the active NAPs by using cheats and shift-click the mailbox and select remove NAP.

I did that. It really helped, thanks. I'm still not happy with the expansion though. It basically turned the game into a 3rd world country. Power outages, garbage piling up everywhere, bums digging through the trash and basically our Sims are just miserable unless you decorate your house. Then after you do that they act nuts lol.... Gee, thanks Maxis.

No idea why they thought this was a good idea. :|
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    I have so many mods for these kinds of annoyances my mods folder is groaning. The entire EL pack and everything they added in the update, need to be retuned. A little over a month since EL's release and I have added ten new mods, and once other mods become available for whatever else irks me, I will happily add those, too. I recently played a Sim with the Nerd Brain aspiration. What is up with the blow torch blowing up every few seconds while our Sims work on their rocket ships? I about put a fist through the monitor before I finally finished that part of the aspiration. The same animations for every task connected with the rocket ship, and none of them add a thing to the enjoyment of playing that aspiration, or even having a Sim own a rocket ship. Total waste of time unless you turn off the sound. So this has been going on since they released the game. I just stopped being mad about it and began adding mods to nuke those irritating and random actions. The dev team doesn't think how these things actually play out because I don't think they play the game very much and don't get how irritating some of these actions are in reality. But we might be able to forgive them if they'd take the time to to tone down some of these things and include those in a base game update.
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    I also hate when they randomly laugh . It creeps me out lol. I wish they would just act normal .