Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

• PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    The sobbing and crying is so cringe worthy. I was laughing at them. What is so sentimental about a game like the Sims?? :D:D

Same , like...you don't need to ham it up and get SO emotional. I can tell that looks fake! look I LOVE the sims...and my characters I create make I love them and feel for them...but I won't be screaming and acting so over the top.

Billionaire in her own mind Kim Kardashian crying because she lost an earring in the ocean, pretty cringe.

The judges appeared moved because they could relate to the contestants’ story about grieving, that to me is not cringe. Also the scene was edited, we do not know what was said to create that reaction.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    trophy wrote: »

Billionaire in her own mind Kim Kardashian crying because she lost an earring in the ocean, pretty cringe.

The judges appeared moved because they could relate to the contestants’ story about grieving, that to me is not cringe. Also the scene was edited, we do not know what was said to create that reaction.

I think my main issue with it is that it all feels very orchestrated and fake.
    There's nothing wrong with using a video game to express your feelings, but they're hamming it up for more views and ratings. The more drama, tears and conflict they can add to the show, the more views they get. This is common with any reality show, but it feels cheap. And in my opinion the Sims should be above the cheap theatricality of Reality TV.
    edited July 2020

Challenges are done by quite a few game changers but I feel the Twitch streamer Holliebb is one of the main influencers. Goggle her and you will see many of her gameplay and build challenge ideas. A while back she mentioned that she was taking a job for EA and the sims. On her twitter bio it says Challenge Operations manager and Sims Spark’d is also listed.

That's interesting, I didn't even know who she was. But you're right, I went to her Twitter page, and it says her title:
    Hollie
    Holliebb TV Challenge Operations Manager EA CGE TheSims Spark'd | Created Sims 4 Challenges: Upgrowth, Crash Pad and The Pachelor | biz: hollie@achievementquest.tv

I'm not going to hate on her, since I don't know her, but it seems like she's in charge of all this :/
    edited July 2020

I think my main issue with it is that it all feels very orchestrated and fake.
    There's nothing wrong with using a video game to express your feelings, but they're hamming it up for more views and ratings. The more drama, tears and conflict they can add to the show, the more views they get. This is common with any reality show, but it feels cheap. And in my opinion the Sims should be above the cheap theatricality of Reality TV.

I am not getting any drama or conflict vibes from the trailer like say Ink Master or the Apprentice series. I think this is meant to be a feel good show, even at the end one of the contestants say “I will destroy them all” and starts laughing, kind of mocking a typical talking head you see in reality competitions.

Orchestrated and fake are the Kardashians re-enacting certain parts of their life or the usually comically “b” side storyline. Bravo’s real housewives are told what to say by producers and are given tons of free alcohol so they will act out more. Same with shows like Big Brother, you know when the beer and wine arrives the drama is coming soon.

Now there could be some conflict, the contestants who are used to running their own solo productions are now working on teams but based on the trailer I am not seeing anyone edited as a “villain”. Then again none of us know until the first episode airs anyways, we are all making assumptions.

As for Holliebb she created some fun and engaging challenges for her community and got noticed by EA. Getting hired to do what you love, no hate here. I think that is a dream for many, to make your passion or fave hobby your work.

ETA: keep seeing that the sims should not be competitive. Please correct me if I am wrong but I get the feeling many here only play a vanilla version of the game without any custom content. Ever since the original sims there are players who have been downloading cc and using the game only for building/interior design. We used to be referred to as “dollhouse players”.

Popular forums like N99 would be a place to showcase builds and there would be competitions. During the sims 2 and 3 generations there was an online fan created magazine called Living Sims that sponsored contests. One of the longest running forum competition is called Designer of the Year or more commonly known as DOTY. It is 6 weeks of some intense design challenges, designers are eliminated on a weekly basis until one winner is declared by 3 judges. I am not sure if this type of competition exists for vanilla or maxis match, it tends to be for players who love alpha or more realistic content.

Like 100 baby and generation challenges competition has always been a part of the community, EA is just trying to make it more mainstream and of course use it as a marketing tool.

Post edited by Pickledtiara on
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I don't watch Youtubers or anything else similar, so it simply doesn't interest me.

I assume that their target audience would be my two youngest children, who do both watch and know Youtubers.
    Though neither of them have ever, to my knowledge, watched someone who plays Sims on there. I couldn't even get my daughter to watch the Eco Living live stream with me and she plays Sims 4.
    Watching someone play Sims is apparently just as unappealing to them as it is to me.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i do not watch youtubers or reviews and tend not to watch livestreams of the game since i prefer to see for myself and mostly play for fun and escape real life
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member
    I think it's unnecessary and a waste of time personally. I would've rather have seen improvements to the game than a reality show involving the game and I have no plans to watch. I like some of the game changers, watch some videos every now and then, even subscribed to one (but not for the Sims 4 content but because of the older Sims games or non Sims games they played) and still barely watch them. It's just more fun to be playing than watching people play, even if you do put a timer on it.

I didn't even think of how this could be a sign of where they want to take the game in the future. I think EA just wants to make more money but I do know it seems like more of the newer players are itching for multi-player and online which is right up EA's alley. You don't even have to give them an inch, they'll just take a mile anyway in a questionable direction anyway. I just wonder what other marketing ideas were on the board when they decided this is the one.

Also, I know Sims 4 is the recent game, still being worked on and getting all the attention, I also know not everyone has a storytelling or gameplay problem with it and think it's great, but one of the main complaints about this game is how boring the sims are and how personalities and emotions need improvements. I was looking for links to certain threads on the forums about this topic but in my search came across two videos from game changers talking about this which I linked in the spoiler to save space.

And I wish they had gone into what The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 brought to the table as well but to me any of the previous games would've been better to do this with. It wouldn't surprise me if in the show if what are supposed to be dramatic or heartbreaking scenes there are some sims just acting like regular Sims 4 sims. With a goofy expression on their face, kind of like that clip in the trailer where the sim girl starts crying and the sim in front of her is just smiling and looking in a daze. It's hard to even make serious looking sims because they always seem happy or goofy and when they are mad or sad it still looks goofy. Like your friend who's pretending you hurt their feelings but is about to crack up laughing any second. If the show absolutely had to be done I would've rather seen this done with The Sims 1 instead of The Sims 4. But I hope it's enjoyable for anyone into those types of shows.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
    And I wish they had gone into what The Sims 1 and The Sims 2 brought to the table as well but to me any of the previous games would've been better to do this with. It wouldn't surprise me if in the show if what are supposed to be dramatic or heartbreaking scenes there are some sims just acting like regular Sims 4 sims. With a goofy expression on their face, kind of like that clip in the trailer where the sim girl starts crying and the sim in front of her is just smiling and looking in a daze. It's hard to even make serious looking sims because they always seem happy or goofy and when they are mad or sad it still looks goofy. Like your friend who's pretending you hurt their feelings but is about to crack up laughing any second. If the show absolutely had to be done I would've rather seen this done with The Sims 1 instead of The Sims 4. But I hope it's enjoyable for anyone into those types of shows.

THIS. How am I supposed to any of their "emotional" scenes seriously when I know how shallow the game actually is? They'll try and make it look like some dramatic and touching game when it's really not.

Someone compared this TV show to the Sims 3 Alice and Kev, a story about homeless Sims that got a lot of attention years ago. The reason that series worked was because traits actually mattered, and the world interacted with your sims. In the Sims 4 they don't. All the sims have the same silly emotional buffs, and most traits traits are pointless.

I wouldn't be surprised if a contestant on the show is trying to do a really touching and emotional scene, and then the sims breaks out in some stupid grin.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

THIS. How am I supposed to any of their "emotional" scenes seriously when I know how shallow the game actually is? They'll try and make it look like some dramatic and touching game when it's really not.

Someone compared this TV show to the Sims 3 Alice and Kev, a story about homeless Sims that got a lot of attention years ago. The reason that series worked was because traits actually mattered, and the world interacted with your sims. In the Sims 4 they don't. All the sims have the same silly emotional buffs, and most traits traits are pointless.

I wouldn't be surprised if a contestant on the show is trying to do a really touching and emotional scene, and then the sims breaks out in some stupid grin.

How are viewers supposed to connect with the sims if they are expendable characters, just there to tell a story? Puppeteers take more care of their puppets, simmers make threads on ways to kill off their sims. :lol:

That was me. The first post mentioning Alice and Kev was more to do with this story being a possible influence on the challenges. I mentioned Sims 4 limitations, that gameplay was lacking however I was curious to see how the contestants create within the game and challenge restrictions. Second time you said who cries over the Sims, I mentioned the series in response to your post and was thinking overall and not specific to the current version.
    Gallery ID Pickledtiara
  • InfraGreenInfraGreen Posts: 6,693 Member
    If it's pure storytelling then cheating emotional buffs to get the desired image is easy. But this isn't a machinima showcase and I also don't know who asked for this show.
    A thousand bared teeth, a thousand bowed heads

outrun / blog / tunglr
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited July 2020
    The entire idea of a sims reality show is foolish. The Sims doesn't need a TV show, nor does this look in any way shape or form appealing. The resources used to make this show could and should have gone to the actual game which is currently a broken, buggy mess lacking deep gameplay.

And that's not even mentioning the ridiculous competitive aspect. This isn't Pokemon, Fortnite, Mario Party, or Dance Revolution. This is The Sims. The Sims isn't in any UNIVERSE even close to a competitive game. Why do the higher ups want it to be? This whole thing reeks of EA trying to make the game hip and trendy with the teens.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    The entire idea of a sims reality show is foolish. The Sims doesn't need a TV show, nor does this look in any way shape or form appealing. The resources used to make this show could and should have gone to the actual game which is currently a broken, buggy mess lacking deep gameplay.

And that's not even mentioning the ridiculous competitive aspect. This isn't Pokemon, Fortnite, Mario Party, or Dance Revolution. This is The Sims. The Sims isn't in any UNIVERSE even close to a competitive game. Why do the higher ups want it to be? This whole thing reeks of EA trying to make the game hip and trendy with the teens.

The Sims will be whatever the higher-ups want it to be. Whether you choose to hang around or not is your choice. And as teens are their target demographic of course they try to appeal to them.
  • ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

I picture stuff like that getting edited out as much as possible. I silently hoped while watching the trailer that the story doesn't end up being that their siblings and their father died or something. And if so, at least let the one smiling have hated him or his reaction time be slow. I just can't picture telling heartbreaking, emotional stories with this game. I can picture telling lighthearted and funny stories but it's so goofy to me but not anything involving sadness, drama or angst.

Then imagine being a newcomer thinking the game you're getting is as in depth as they may try to make it appear when you'd really benefit more from one of the previous games depending on what your needs as a player turns out to be? I know if people watch they'll draw in more players and some of those new players will enjoy The Sims 4 for what it is, but I also know that some of those new players are going to fall into that cycle of buying the base game and maybe even a couple of packs and find it boring. Mods may be a scary thought but the solution players tend to give to newbies besides mods is to buy more packs and some of them will still be bored.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

The Sims will be whatever the higher-ups want it to be. Whether you choose to hang around or not is your choice. And as teens are their target demographic of course they try to appeal to them.
    I don't even think teens would like this show. My nephew is a teen and honestly he rather watch Youtube than go on TBS. TBS is more of an old people's network.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Scobre wrote: »

I don't even think teens would like this show. My nephew is a teen and honestly he rather watch Youtube than go on TBS. TBS is more of an old people's network.

Old people's network. 😂 I'm an older person but I don't watch TBS either but I can stream it through my Xbox so I'll be tuning in.
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Lol. I have never watched TBS that I can remember, beyond seeing bits when I channel surfed growing up

I just asked my kids if they knew TBS. My 17 year old said he'd never heard of it, my 16 year old said "What? No.", and my 14 year old made a weird face and shook his head before putting his headphones back on. My 20 year old is at work, so I had to text him. His response was "I think it's some cable channel??"

I laughed so hard I started coughing and my kids now think I'm losing my mind. Lol.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    Well looks like it might get some publicity for TBS. At least in the simming community. Tune in to watch a specific program and become interested in other offerings. Possibly some of the commercial will focus on other TBS shows and the various means to watch.
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    edited July 2020
    Well, I like the sims a lot, and I like to watch sim stories people have created as a mini-movie.. not so much an ongoing let's play. I like certain types of challenge type shows. Been watching Alone and British baking shows on Netflix recently. I just don't and won't watch shows about gossiping and putting others down or sabotage of others. Which was why I wouldn't watch reality shows for a long time, but this isn't looking like that so I'm game to try it out.
    Will be interesting to see stories of simmers in particular if they do that back and forth bit that you see on other challenge shows. I wouldn't mind seeing the movers and shakers in the community.. and who knows maybe it will do well and we'll see other less known but very talented simmers in there in the future.
    I had to find out if I had TBS available to me and I do so I'll plan on watching it when it airs.
    egTcBMc.png
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I used to watch TBS in the 90s. 😆
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • RifftraxRulesRifftraxRules Posts: 145 Member
    To paraphrase a certain character from MST3K: this show is unwanted, uncalled for, and unnecessary.
  • RevenwynRevenwyn Posts: 317 Member
    This sounds like the stupidest show on earth, honestly.
    Like my T-shirt? Get it here: Revenwyn's Sims

lisamwitt wrote: »

Lol. I have never watched TBS that I can remember, beyond seeing bits when I channel surfed growing up

I just asked my kids if they knew TBS. My 17 year old said he'd never heard of it, my 16 year old said "What? No.", and my 14 year old made a weird face and shook his head before putting his headphones back on. My 20 year old is at work, so I had to text him. His response was "I think it's some cable channel??"

I laughed so hard I started coughing and my kids now think I'm losing my mind. Lol.

:D:D:D:D Your kids reaction made me laugh.
  • SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    I don't really see the need for a sims show since I can already find similar content on Youtube. I honestly just want them to fix Sims 4 first.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I watched the 4 min preview on it. Reminded me a lot of Donald Trump's Apprentice reality show. Very competitive and being toxic behind other people's back. I didn't enjoy it. It seemed to reflect how broken the GC program is and the community is. So yeah thanks for the preview behind closed doors I guess of the quarrels that go on. :/

The clip:
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller