Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thoughts on The Sims Spark'd...

Comments

• SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member
    Personally, I like shows like this: Nailed It, GBBO, some tiny living challenges, etc. I skip others because they're not about content I care for - like fashion or such - so to have one that's about something I love *doing* myself sounds great.

It is a marketing ploy? I mean, duh.
    The whole challenge aspect around TS4 and even before has been a staple in the community before: shells, rooms, CAS, builds etc. So it doesn't seem weird to me to bring it into a studio and make a show like this. The dev team's involvement is minimal, it's not taking away from the time they have to create or fix or whatever.

I'm guessing the first one is to test the format and interest so they got GameChangers in first. Also, we don't know if the prize is coming from EA or elsewhere, like others said there are other companies involved. I'm gonna wait and see if it's a fun watch and where it's gonna go.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Isn’t one of the gurus a judge on this show? I wouldn’t call that minimal.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    Personally, I like shows like this: Nailed It, GBBO, some tiny living challenges, etc. I skip others because they're not about content I care for - like fashion or such - so to have one that's about something I love *doing* myself sounds great.

It is a marketing ploy? I mean, duh.
    The whole challenge aspect around TS4 and even before has been a staple in the community before: shells, rooms, CAS, builds etc. So it doesn't seem weird to me to bring it into a studio and make a show like this. The dev team's involvement is minimal, it's not taking away from the time they have to create or fix or whatever.

I'm guessing the first one is to test the format and interest so they got GameChangers in first. Also, we don't know if the prize is coming from EA or elsewhere, like others said there are other companies involved. I'm gonna wait and see if it's a fun watch and where it's gonna go.

Good point. I've watched a few reality based competitions and the prize money was always funded by one of the show sponsors or advertisers.
  • SimmyFroggySimmyFroggy Posts: 1,762 Member

One out of the whole dev team. Even if there are three devs, it's still out of the whole team. it's not like they postponed development to film this. (the filming was done back in 2019 and we've gotten one of the biggest bug fix patches since, plus at least two packs).
    Thus, minimal involvement.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

One out of the whole dev team. Even if there are three devs, it's still out of the whole team. it's not like they postponed development to film this. (the filming was done back in 2019 and we've gotten one of the biggest bug fix patches since, plus at least two packs).

One that we know of. We don’t actually know what may or may not have been postponed to film this. That’s pure speculation. Neither of us know exactly how much time this took but I can’t say it was minimal just by guessing. The fact it was at last sims camp pre covid is irrelevant. The game needed work then the way it badly needs work now.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

One that we know of. We don’t actually know what may or may not have been postponed to film this. That’s pure speculation. Neither of us know exactly how much time this took but I can’t say it was minimal just by guessing. The fact it was at last sims camp pre covid is irrelevant. The game needed work then the way it badly needs work now.

If it took place at Sims Camp then yeah, the time making the show was minimal; most of the work was probably editing out all the cuss words. :D While they were doing the filming, plenty of other devs were working on packs, fixing bugs, and other stuff. The only SimGuru I saw in the trailer was @SimGuruNinja as one of the judges, and they probably wanted one person really familiar with the game on the judging panel.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    Nothing about this is exciting or interesting to me.
  • Placebo7Placebo7 Posts: 107 Member
    I feel foolish for liking a franchise that would produce such dreck. Those are my feelings.
  • NoirStasisNoirStasis Posts: 243 Member
    MelsieYT wrote: »
    I'm... indifferent? If people like it, cool.

I only know one YouTuber from the lineup and I don't even watch all of their content. I don't follow a ton of "popular" simmers on YouTube to begin with though. 90% of the ones I enjoy have less than 10,000 subs and wouldn't be the "type" EA would go after to market their game.

It's new and exciting. It's something I've never seen done before, and maybe it'll be decent! From the trailer though, I feel like it might be a bit sensationalized and overly-acted, but I've been wrong about that sort of thing before. I don't know. I guess I'll let people be the judge once the show starts airing. I have zero interest in reality TV / competitions so I won't personally be watching it.

I've seen a lot of people saying EA could've done a lot more for the loyal fans with all of the resources they put into producing a reality show, but they're a multi billion dollar company... It's not the money or employees they invested into a game show that's bottle-necking them.

I guess we'll have to wait on better babies and less glitches. LOL

EDIT: I just wanted to add that I absolutely love Sims and will still spend entire days playing (heavily modded, but that's besides the point). I can be a huge fan and still have issues with the game and/or the company.

I'm also indifferent. I wonder if contestants will be able to use cc for the challenges?( I play on console for TS4, but used cc for the previous Sims games)

If the show gives a part of it where it'll release new information about what is going on with the game ( basically the new Maxis monthly) and be more inclusive with the Sims community as a whole by showcasing questions in the forums and other platforms like Twitter, then you got my attention.
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member

I don't think simmers feel like the show took away from the development of the game, rather EA provided resources (no matter how big or small) to make this show happen and those resources could have been put into the game.

I posted a while back asking Simmers what they thought of EA Game Changers and whether they watch them or take their opinions to heart. I feel like EA puts too much emphasis on these Game Changers and this show is just another example of that. It doesn't appeal to the broader Sims community, but rather it's something fun for the Game Changers that push their product to take part in and for their fan bases to watch.

I'm also one of those Simmers wondering when The Sims became this huge game about competition. I get challenges have always been a part of the community but I don't recall EA ever really mentioning or pushing them. The Sims was always marketed as this huge never-ending sandbox with limitless possibilities. Now they're releasing a competition show that focuses on restricting and focused gameplay? It's just a weird shift.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    I get what they are trying to do since advertising and campaigns are part of my job and we try to be creative with our methods, but i really dont like or care for this particular show.
  • adduapinaadduapina Posts: 556 Member
    As @sims2freak737 said well above, I'm also concerned about this competitive aspect of this all. It started for me from Strangerville and the story there (which I personally hate tbh), then came Tiny Living (which, on the other hand I find somewhat fun) and off-the-grid and now EL and this sparkly game changing reality tv experience...

I really just want to play, you know. I'd rather have 3 new natural hair colors than this Spark'd.

But we will see. I am still hopeful :>
    origin ID: adduapina
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    I don't think enough "surprising" or "unpredictable" things happen in TS4 for it to be an interesting TV watch. I rarely watch Let's Plays, because they're always exactly the same. So somebody gets crushed by a Murphy bed, a woo hoo, maybe somebody gets abducted, a random argument occurs where for the most part, you as the player need to imagine why. Not really sure how you can fill a series with just a handful of potential outcomes, unless it is going to be more like the Sims are "actors" and the contestants are prattling on to form a story that doesn't even exist in gameplay.

Not sure how they'll make this interesting for more than a handful of episodes. Also, I hope it leans more towards FUN than just a bunch of personal sob stories like most reality shows end up these days.
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    I don't think enough "surprising" or "unpredictable" things happen in TS4 for it to be an interesting TV watch. I rarely watch Let's Plays, because they're always exactly the same. So somebody gets crushed by a Murphy bed, a woo hoo, maybe somebody gets abducted, a random argument occurs where for the most part, you as the player need to imagine why. Not really sure how you can fill a series with just a handful of potential outcomes, unless it is going to be more like the Sims are "actors" and the contestants are prattling on to form a story that doesn't even exist in gameplay.

Not sure how they'll make this interesting for more than a handful of episodes. Also, I hope it leans more towards FUN than just a bunch of personal sob stories like most reality shows end up these days.

I assumed it was going to be mostly Building Challenges. But who knows.
    I enjoy watching Let's Plays, but I usually watch them in bed to help me fall asleep :D

And I don't think this is going to appeal to people that watch competitive gaming, because The Sims is not (and should never be) a competitive game.
    I honestly don't know who the demographic for this will be. Sims fans have been quite negative about this across all social media platforms.
    It all seems pointless.
  • prettyprettyplumbobprettyprettyplumbob Posts: 183 Member
    Honestly I'm super excited about it!
    I already watch a lot of the creators on youtube, and I'm excited to try my hands on whatever challenges they throw at us...
    and yes it's a marketing thing, but I'm super excited to see the sims community grow and thrive anyways! 💕
    Hopefully it'll bring even more money and attention into the game!
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Yeah SimGuruNinja is and he is a producer of many of the game packs which tend to do better than the other pack types.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited July 2020

I don't think simmers feel like the show took away from the development of the game, rather EA provided resources (no matter how big or small) to make this show happen and those resources could have been put into the game.

I posted a while back asking Simmers what they thought of EA Game Changers and whether they watch them or take their opinions to heart. I feel like EA puts too much emphasis on these Game Changers and this show is just another example of that. It doesn't appeal to the broader Sims community, but rather it's something fun for the Game Changers that push their product to take part in and for their fan bases to watch.

I'm also one of those Simmers wondering when The Sims became this huge game about competition. I get challenges have always been a part of the community but I don't recall EA ever really mentioning or pushing them. The Sims was always marketed as this huge never-ending sandbox with limitless possibilities. Now they're releasing a competition show that focuses on restricting and focused gameplay? It's just a weird shift.
    With the Sims 4 mostly it started, but honestly started with the Maxis pushing the yibsim idea on its community between the Sims 3 and the Sims 4 and now this. https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=510461&c=1&ht=&page=1&pp=25#startcomments

It is like when is Maxis going to realize that the Sims game and its community isn't meant to be like a Fortnite game?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    bixters wrote: »

I assumed it was going to be mostly Building Challenges. But who knows.
    I enjoy watching Let's Plays, but I usually watch them in bed to help me fall asleep :D

And I don't think this is going to appeal to people that watch competitive gaming, because The Sims is not (and should never be) a competitive game.
    I honestly don't know who the demographic for this will be. Sims fans have been quite negative about this across all social media platforms.
    It all seems pointless.

@bixters idk....I think they are going to get a lot of play off the Buzzfeed crowd. Somebody likely ran the numbers and said this partnership would rack up a lot of sales :shrug:
    The sobbing and crying is so cringe worthy. I was laughing at them. What is so sentimental about a game like the Sims?? :D:D
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited July 2020
    The sobbing and crying is so cringe worthy. I was laughing at them. What is so sentimental about a game like the Sims?? :D:D

Same , like...you don't need to ham it up and get SO emotional. I can tell that looks fake! look I LOVE the sims...and my characters I create make I love them and feel for them...but I won't be screaming and acting so over the top.

Same , like...you don't need to ham it up and get SO emotional. I can tell that looks fake! look I LOVE the sims...and my characters I create make I love them and feel for them...but I won't be screaming and acting so over the top.

The whole show sounds so hammy and cheesy. I play the Sims to get away from my personal problems, not relive them while playing a game. I don't make a Sim who's struggling to pay student loan debt and medical debt for a reason :D
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Since you asked for my input on the show. I really am not into it but if others are into it then that is their boat and not mine.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    edited July 2020
    My thoughts are: Honestly, The Sims team, Maxis and EA seem to be able to do some crazy juggling to avoid using their money on everything besides the actual game. And I feel like that because Sims 4 isn't a sims game in its best shape, and could use not only more money but also some focus.

Also, I feel like Lilsimsie is totally the one to blame for this show. She's the one that comes up with the weird "X minutes challenge", "each room blahblahblah challenge", etc... And the ones that she hasn't created, she promoted. And this show seems to be all about that, building things and making sims with themes/timer/restrictions.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    edited July 2020
    I do not think the costs of this is away from the budget of the game,

... but as I am not a fan of the popular YT Game Changers, or any kind of reality shows overall , a hard pass.

Edit: I have to edit , that there are Game Changers I respect a lot, and you can find them in this very forum. It is just the YT persons I am not a fan of.
    Post edited by Ellupelluellu on
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • PickledtiaraPickledtiara Posts: 169 Member
    edited July 2020
    Karon wrote: »
    My thoughts are: Honestly, The Sims team, Maxis and EA seem to be able to do some crazy juggling to avoid using their money on everything besides the actual game. And I feel like that because Sims 4 isn't a sims game in its best shape, and could use not only more money but also some focus.

Also, I feel like Lilsimsie is totally the one to blame for this show. She's the one that comes up with the weird "X minutes challenge", "each room blahblahblah challenge", etc... And the ones that she hasn't created, she promoted. And this show seems to be all about that, building things and making sims with themes/timer/restrictions.

Challenges are done by quite a few game changers but I feel the Twitch streamer Holliebb is one of the main influencers. Goggle her and you will see many of her gameplay and build challenge ideas. A while back she mentioned that she was taking a job for EA and the sims. On her twitter bio it says Challenge Operations manager and Sims Spark’d is also listed.

Gallery ID Pickledtiara