Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does what SimGuruDrake Said a Few Years Ago about Paywalls Patreon Still Stand?

2...Next

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited June 2020
    NoTalent wrote: »
    peach1red wrote: »
    @InuMiroLover Funny enough, I actually noticed and have been doing just this week. It's very useful.

@LadyKyn I've always wondered if TSR has them on a technicality or something. Don't ads kind of count as a paywall to in extent? Hmm... That one actually has me confused.

Ads aren't a paywall. They don't require you to pay money to access the content.
    Technically it does with TSR. Why it is wrong what they are doing with having download time tied behind a paywall. I would recommend people using modthesims instead. Downloads are pre-screened and have requirements before being approved for uploading and site allows adblocker.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • peach1redpeach1red Posts: 245 Member
    @Scobre The problem with MtS is that it's kind of lack in regards to clothes and hair. They doen't really have much in the way of realistic CaS items. Which is likely where TSR gets it's popularity. (Though there's still better ways of getting realistic CC than TSR.)
    My favourite colour is #E4717A, just like any other ordinary human girl.

My Simming site: https://peachrenardssims.wordpress.com/
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020
    Does anyone know how to report users breaking these rules on Patreon? There's one creator on Patreon that's really been bothering me as they refuse to release their stuff and keep it locked behind paywalls for months.
  • NyxValkoinenNyxValkoinen Posts: 15 Member
    I would assume that that post still applies. If not, it definitely should. If modders force people to pay for content, then all that money those modders earn should go to EA up front, because they couldn't mod Sims 4 if Sims 4 didn't exist. The only time paying modders should be accepted is for donations only. Modders should always make their content entirely for free, but have sites where supports can pay if they choose to. Because people will donate to you if you have the option, but if you try forcing people to buy your content from a game you do not own, you're much less likely to be given support at all with that poor attitude. It's always better to make mods free, but allow people to support you if they truly wish to. It's just better all around, for everyone, because modders will be viewed in a much better light if they offer free content, and people are more likely to support them with donations when the content is free.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 247 Member
    I recently noticed one particular creator of a very popular mod, keeps changing the date on his posts, to avoid that ruling of 3 weeks by EA.
    shorty943p wrote: »
    I recently noticed one particular creator of a very popular mod, keeps changing the date on his posts, to avoid that ruling of 3 weeks by EA.
    You can report them on the main EA site. I know it was set up after some questionable behavior was happening within the Game Changer program last year.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    NoTalent wrote: »
    peach1red wrote: »
    @InuMiroLover Funny enough, I actually noticed and have been doing just this week. It's very useful.

@LadyKyn I've always wondered if TSR has them on a technicality or something. Don't ads kind of count as a paywall to in extent? Hmm... That one actually has me confused.

Ads aren't a paywall. They don't require you to pay money to access the content.
    Technically it does with TSR. Why it is wrong what they are doing with having download time tied behind a paywall. I would recommend people using modthesims instead. Downloads are pre-screened and have requirements before being approved for uploading and site allows adblocker.

Meh, the wait time on TSR doesn’t bother me. I just open the download in a new tab and let the clock run down while I continue to browse. I’ve never felt incentivized to sign up and I don’t feel strongly enough about their restrictions to object to their practices.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Why I don't like SimVIP too. They break the TOS with their intrusive ads while advertising modders and CC artists. It is scummy overriding adblockers with their ad videos. But yes if modders or CC artist requires adfly don't use it and report it. Any site that adds malware and viruses by forcing ads to use isn't worth harming your computer. I had to stop using TSR too because of how they handle ads behind a paywall.

SimsVIP is rubbish. The website and the people in the comments that are just bullies as well as 🌺🌺🌺🌺 being started. Haven't been on that website in a few years because of all of that bleh.

Yeah, literally your website with ads is just ugh..yeah I understand getting ad-revenue to pay for things like the website monthly, but when they're intrusive, playing sounds and covering most of the page? No thanks.

I go there from time to time but the comment section are full of bunches of racists. Don't get me stared on the people commenting horrible stuff because of SimGuruLindsey announced they were working on doing better with the darker switches. That just MAY have stirred me away there completely.
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to report users breaking these rules on Patreon? There's one creator on Patreon that's really been bothering me as they refuse to release their stuff and keep it locked behind paywalls for months.

Yes how do we do this? There is someone else I’d like to report for this too.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Don't think anything has changed, but I think it's the enforcing part that comes into play. I know they've definitely shut people down when they rip cas and build mode meshes from packs for people to download making it base game compatible.

Personally there are websites that still leak early patreon stuff or patreon stuff people aren't releasing and having it categorize, so one doesn't have to be subscribed to it. Honestly the patreons that don't release their stuff at all are usually of pretty low quality, yet there are people that will still pay out money for broken meshes and bad textures for hair and clothing because it's something unique, afro texture or otherwise. But hey you know what they say about a fool and his money. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Only thing that irks me is people that steal meshes from second life and such get people to pay for them. That's pretty much stealing and some fairly well known to popular content creators have done it and still do it. Probably worse when the people paying for them are the biggest instigators when they keep giving them money.

Worse pet peeve is the choice between supporitng them on patreon or clicking the link for ad-fly to support them because the latter is very obviously freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee with no kind of consequences.

Most of the Patreons I've seen don't lock their content behind the subscriber-only tab. Most make their mods free for all, but supporters get some extra perks, like early access or the ability to request new features or new mods.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
    EdithV wrote: »

For websites it is here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-report-cheat-hack-scam-websites-to-ea/
  • EdithVEdithV Posts: 859 Member
    EdithV wrote: »

For websites it is here: https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/faq/how-to-report-cheat-hack-scam-websites-to-ea/

Thanks!
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member
    Might I ask why people want to go out of their way to report a Patreon? I know there are rules, but I hope people aren’t reporting amazing creators just because they want to glom well-made mods or object sets for F-R-E-E.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited August 2020
    Might I ask why people want to go out of their way to report a Patreon? I know there are rules, but I hope people aren’t reporting amazing creators just because they want to glom well-made mods or object sets for F-R-E-E.

Breaking rules has consequences.
    Post edited by Chazzzy on
    Chazzzy wrote: »

Breaking rules have consequences.

Yes, but I am curious why are some are so interested in this particular rule. Are they making citizen arrests or just angry stuff ain’t free?

There was another thread awhile ago where people were scouring the web for sites that snatched Patreon-locked CC and mods for free download (even if the content was “lawfully” within the “legal” 3-week lockdown). Just seems shady to demand ish be free.
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    I don’t have a horse in this race, but it does make curious about edge cases.

I know for big script mods it is common for “pre-release” or “early access” to be available only to patrons or similar, but that never felt like hiding things behind a paywall to me because script mods need to go through the same kind of testing and bug fixes that an actual game does, and because while the patrons get the benefit of early access, they also take on the risk of potentially broken code ruining their game. But I wonder if a strict reading of the rules would make that a problem?

I’d honestly rather my mods get tested before they get to me, and feel like early access is a simple patron reward that also serves that dual purpose. I’d hate to see someone try to end it as a practice.
    Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.

Yes, but I am curious why are some are so interested in this particular rule. Are they making citizen arrests or just angry stuff ain’t free?

There was another thread awhile ago where people were scouring the web for sites that snatched Patreon-locked CC and mods for free download (even if the content was “lawfully” within the “legal” 3-week lockdown). Just seems shady to demand ish be free.

There’s nothing shady about ensuring rules are followed. Why should some modders follow the rules and release content within 3 weeks for free and others be allowed to withhold their content? We should be encouraging an equal and fair community for all. Rules are rules. If modders do not want to follow the rules, they should face consequences. I don’t get the feeling it is personal at all. It is what it is and the easiest way to avoid this is for all modders to follow the rules.
    Ivyeyed wrote: »
    I don’t have a horse in this race, but it does make curious about edge cases.

I know for big script mods it is common for “pre-release” or “early access” to be available only to patrons or similar, but that never felt like hiding things behind a paywall to me because script mods need to go through the same kind of testing and bug fixes that an actual game does, and because while the patrons get the benefit of early access, they also take on the risk of potentially broken code ruining their game. But I wonder if a strict reading of the rules would make that a problem?

I’d honestly rather my mods get tested before they get to me, and feel like early access is a simple patron reward that also serves that dual purpose. I’d hate to see someone try to end it as a practice.

The problem is not people joining Patreons and getting earlier access to test mods. The problem is the modders not following the 3 week rule. As it stands, if a modder is doing the “join my Patreon and have early access” thing, but then does NOT actually release the mods to the public for FREE (as the rules state they must do within 3 weeks of uploading the mod behind a paywall) they are in violation of The Sims terms and conditions. Making sure the mod is free for public download within 3 weeks is the key here. Many modders are not following this rule and they should be reported.
    I guess there’s nothing against policing the rules. I just think this is an odd policy to citizen-enforce unless you’re upset the content is never free. Like who even bothers to monitor that? Join the early Patreon if you really want the content.

Maybe I’m still rubbed the wrong way by a separate thread where Simmers were seemingly in protest against even rule-following Patreons because they “couldn’t afford” content they wanted, and were combing the web for illegal sites that snaffled it for free download. 🤷🏽‍♀️ Maybe it’s me—I’m just not a freebie-gimme.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Like who even bothers to monitor that? Join the early Patreon if you really want the content.

But doing that will just reinforce the problem of locking cc behinds paywalls and never releasing it, it essentially allows the creator to continue breaking the rules without consequence, for profit
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited August 2020

Because mods and sets are supposed to be free, that's the rules. I don't think people should get away with trying to force people into paying money if they want a certain mod/cc item. If they go a bit over the 3 weeks its fine, but some are leaving items locked away for months and making items paid only which is against the rules and isn't fair on players.
  • DuvelinaDuvelina Posts: 2,619 Member
    edited August 2020
    The Sims Plus has released his Pro Build mod to the public.

And he is coming with new loading screens next week. I think it might be just a fluke with the map mod and he's either still working on it or abandoned the project.
    Actually SimguruDrake did clarify on that being legal. It was on a forum discussion. Things like forced ads and pay to play permanently mods and CC are illegal. So is use of Sims website banners that aren't original. Meaning ok to have your own Sims on your banner. I have seen copy pasted banners that Sims forums use on websites before. Streaming and doing YouTube for profit is legal. It gets complicated with all the details of the TOS sometimes.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

Most people don't agree with this but I feel the similar. It's not that many creators that i found who hide their content permanently. The few I've seen didn't bother me. I mean I'm not so desperate for a virtual dress that I get outraged and start reporting because a creator wont make content free, that 9 out of 10 I can find all over the internet something similar for free.

There is atleast one creator I know of that I use to support who close their paetron because people kept reporting it. It wasn't anything I desperately needed, could have found something elsewear, but I and others were willing to pay for it so I did not see the harm

I'm not saying loads of people should be forcing us to pay for sims content they don't technically own in the first place. But I'm grateful the sims teams allows people to modify their content in the first place.
    I wouldn't run to them begging them to police people about it, imagine how annoying that is. The spectrum is way too broad for them to chase down every creator.

Personally mods and cc have forever changed my game (in a good way) and I'm grateful for the team for allowing it and the creators for creating/updating it because it really is hard work.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    edited August 2020
    One thing I've noticed though is the creators who follow the rules usually make the most money. Locking it behind a paywall does not mean you will get more. All of the creators I currently support follow the rules so even though I can get it for free i choose to support for the love of them and their dedication

So when I see creators doing this it leaves a bit of a bad taste in my mouth because I think they must be super money hungry 😅 but it's their content and their choice.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(