Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Request for info on new resource type: LRLE 0x2BC04EDF

cmarinetticmarinetti Posts: 147 Member
edited December 2020 in Mods & CC Technical Discussions
After the June 3 patch I'm seeing what I think is a new resource type: 0x2BC04EDF. The first 4 bytes are LRLE. I suspect this has something to do with custom replacement eye colors not working since the RLE2 textures for EA eye colors appear to be empty but there's an LRLE resource with the same instance number. Could these be a new kind of RLE compressed image? Just guessing at this point.
cmarNYC on MTS.
Post edited by cmarinetti on

Comments

• TURBODRIVERTURBODRIVER Posts: 68 Member
    Has this ever been delivered? I think the LRLE format template is now needed more than ever.
  • cmarinetticmarinetti Posts: 147 Member
    Nothing so far. It's really needed as more textures are converted. I've made some progress but am stumped on what I think are long repeat counts of transparent pixels. Plus, just to made it more fun, there's a new version that's substantially different from the first.

If anyone out there has any knowledge or insights, help would be welcome.
    cmarNYC on MTS.
  • CidiraCidira Posts: 17 Member
    I'd just like to second/third/etc. this request, on behalf of all of us folks who can't use the technical data ourselves, but are eagerly waiting for those who can to get it and and turn it into tools we can use. I have more than one planned project that would work much better if I were able to create true LRLE texture resources.
  • MikeyFabMikeyFab Posts: 1 New Member
    I'd just like to bump this request, on behalf of all of the fabulous folks who can't use the technical data themselves, but are eagerly waiting for those who can to get it and and turn it into tools we can use. Please give them access to the resources they need in order to complete their pieces of work.
  • PinkyPusPinkyPus Posts: 52 Member
    Also wanting to bump this, pretty please, give them access to the resources, so maybe people who play with lower specs on their computers also get a chance to enjoy some of these people's amazing hard work, and making the work maybe a bit easier for dem overall
  • fcc56fcc56 Posts: 1 New Member
    Adding my voice in supporting this request.
  • Sakura12364Sakura12364 Posts: 1 New Member
    Adding my voice in supporting this request x2. I also think that the wicked should continue with its configurations for low-resource pc since not everyone has a good pc and they like to use your mod
  • Princessniah75Princessniah75 Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I really liked your mod but since the new December 11th update, I had to remove it bc my computer won’t allow me to run with uncompressed sims without lag. 😕 it was horrible so I had to download wonderful whims instead, but I had no problems with the old version of WW, everything worked fine so I wish it came back only bc the new requirement won’t allow me to use the mod. My laptop isn’t a big gaming laptop unfortunately.
  • DaeDreamer93DaeDreamer93 Posts: 1 New Member
    Adding my support to this thread as well. 🐸🐸🐸🐸 makes my game sooo much more entertaining and it's a shame that I have to turn on such high quality graphics to use it. My game will not run with these settings -- it won't even boot up! Makes me not want to play the game much anymore, unfortunately.
    This thread has nothing to do with Turbodriver's mods (especially the ones that shouldn't even be discussed on this forum) or with running the game on lower graphics settings.

It is a request for EA to share the technical details of a game asset, so that creators can access new textures, and new versions of textures, that only exist, or are higher quality than the previous versions, in this format which we currently cannot decode, and which is being used more and more in the game since it was introduced.

(We're also lacking a lot of other technical information we used to get -- no TDESCs for 1.69, no new CASPart version info, etc. -- but for the most part those things are not directly preventing people from being able to access and modify large chunks of game content.)

If you want to talk to a modder about their mods, do it through whatever methods they provide for support (I can think of at least three just off the top of my head for Turbodriver) instead of highjacking threads.
  • TURBODRIVERTURBODRIVER Posts: 68 Member
    Cidira wrote: »
    This thread has nothing to do with Turbodriver's mods (especially the ones that shouldn't even be discussed on this forum) or with running the game on lower graphics settings.

It is a request for EA to share the technical details of a game asset, so that creators can access new textures, and new versions of textures, that only exist, or are higher quality than the previous versions, in this format which we currently cannot decode, and which is being used more and more in the game since it was introduced.

(We're also lacking a lot of other technical information we used to get -- no TDESCs for 1.69, no new CASPart version info, etc. -- but for the most part those things are not directly preventing people from being able to access and modify large chunks of game content.)

If you want to talk to a modder about their mods, do it through whatever methods they provide for support (I can think of at least three just off the top of my head for Turbodriver) instead of highjacking threads.

That's absolutely right, but I'm still glad some care to bring more attention to this topic and hopefully wake up the developers.
  • megabug_irlmegabug_irl Posts: 1 New Member
    I would also like to support this request. Having this information will really help the community.
    I feel I should add that I've already figured out how to do some pretty cool things just with a) the ability to make new packages classified as makeup, put pointers to existing EA LRLE textures that aren't makeup in them, and give them sliders, and b) the ability to have opacity sliders on anything classified as makeup. And that's just from me screwing around for a few hours and not even trying to make anything I actually planned to use, just proofs of concept. I'm already excited about what other creators will figure out how to do with just the capabilities we already have -- and I can hardly begin to imagine what kind of amazing and creative stuff people will do if we get the ability to add all four kinds of sliders to custom textures.

I'm also concerned about the possibility that some type of content that is added to the game more often than eye colors and skintones will be converted to LRLE before we're able to work with those textures. There haven't been any new eyes for a while, and the new skintones have a second texture in a format we can access... but if, say, HAIR gets converted to LRLE, and then a new pack comes out, with a dozen brand new hairstyles that *no one can recolor*? That's gonna cause a fuss.
  • cmarinetticmarinetti Posts: 147 Member
    I've figured out LRLE version 2, at least enough to decode the images I've tested so far. Tool, code, info, request for brainstorming etc. is posted on MTS: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=650929
    cmarNYC on MTS.