Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone looking forward to the update for off the grid

Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
I am a bit late but I finally managed to watch the livestream. I am really looking forward to the update for the off the grid lot trait. I only recently started to play around with this particular lot trait and I enjoy it a lot.
The off the grid part of the patch is mentioned in the livestream at 1:29:30

From what I understand following updates will happen for everyone:
- option to collect water (fishingspots, wadable water in sulani and snowpiles)
- filter in build buy
- more objects labelled as off the grid (candles are names in the livestream at 1:29:44) (this video by sims community shows for example the basegame oil lamp in the off the grid section at 3:27, currently it requires electricity)

Not clear if it is basegame or eco lifestyle
- new recipies (screenshot in the livestream at 1:30:47 shows tomato soup and fish on a stick, they mention some kind of boiling frog hot pot)
- add ice to fridges

Additionally for eco living:
- (more) options to store a surplus of electricity and water to temporarily use objects that are normally not usable off the grid. Probably additional gameplay options for this feature.
- recipes with insects

What do you guys think.
I really hope we get some additional off the grid recipes for basegame and I will enjoy building more if we can use more candles.

Comments

• Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    I am because I had avoided playing due to its being so haphazard when they first introduced it, it just wasn’t fun to play. So now I am excited to finally have it in a playable state.
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited May 2020
    Yes I am!

I think it will be kind of weird if they include some off the grid updates in a patch and some in the new pack. From my understanding (I don’t have Island Living), off the grid was introduced in IL but made free in a base game patch which to me means all updates to off the grid should be base game updates. Idk. Anyways it’s the thing I’m most looking forward to with the next patch.

I’ve been playing that way for some time now and I am really looking forward to anything new to do with living off the grid. 😅

I don’t even know that I’ll need Eco Lifestyle if the water thing is a base game update since I’ve been trying to rework my play style so that Sims don’t actually need electricity at home, I don’t really need the option for them to have access to power when they need it. For my Sims, the idea is that they purposefully live a life without relying on power and thus don’t care about the objects that require them, so there would be no need for power. In fact, thinking about them having power on their residential lot makes me shudder.

I can’t wait to have more candles to choose from also.
  • Akl500PAkl500P Posts: 2,986 Member
    Please let that jungle adventure chandelier be off the grid now!! Or is it and I missed it? Wasn’t last time I checked but it should be for sure.

Anyway yes I am super excited about this update to off the grid because I found it super frustrating before gameplay wise and not as well done as it could have been. I’m most excited for the water collection because that seems so useful and cool.
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,408 Member
    Yes I am!

I think it will be kind of weird if they include some off the grid updates in a patch and some in the new pack. From my understanding (I don’t have Island Living), off the grid was introduced in IL but made free in a base game patch which to me means all updates to off the grid should be base game updates. Idk. Anyways it’s the thing I’m most looking forward to with the next patch.

I’ve been playing that way for some time now and I am really looking forward to anything new to do with living off the grid. 😅

Off the grid was introduced in the patch a few days before island living. Even then it had a few advantages if you had the pack from the update like the shower in the waterfall and the pit barbecue to cook more meals. So the basics were always base game and a few extras are pack related.

I think it combines well with
    - Island living (waterfall shower and pit barbecue)
    - Jungle adventure (waterfall in a bottle, pee bush)
    - Realm of magic (Cook large meals in the cauldron, not just for spellcasters ) now that I think of it, wouldn't it be nice if the frog recipe mentioned in the livestream could be made in the cauldron as well?
    Akl500P wrote: »
    Please let that jungle adventure chandelier be off the grid now!! Or is it and I missed it? Wasn’t last time I checked but it should be for sure.

Anyway yes I am super excited about this update to off the grid because I found it super frustrating before gameplay wise and not as well done as it could have been. I’m most excited for the water collection because that seems so useful and cool.

Oh yes. I really hope they update the chandelier and the portable lamp from jungle adventure to work off the grid.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited May 2020
    So long as it comes in the patch, I'm excited. I am playing an Ancestral game save that is set in 18th century Colonial America. Off the grid is all they had. I'm glad we already have the wash tub. Back then, they laid their wet clothes to dry over the bushes outside. This after running them through what is called a box mangle. It had a turn crank (human powered) to help squeeze the excess water from the garment. Thank goodness. In the past I've had to wash clothes by hand in the bathtub, but all of that wringing left my poor hands all but raw. OUCH.

But, the clothes line is not so far out there somebody ingenious might not have discovered this. So, one bends where one has to, right? ;)

My young couple have not yet discovered how much they desire to belong to each other, so that when they do marry I'll be better able to show them living off-the-grid, from the sounds of it. Another of you has mentioned it was not so fun. Items we all thought ought to be okay, were not. Changing out old water for fresh was a non-starter, too? Really? What does it take to dump a bucket of water and refill it? Certainly not electricity. Our own modern bathtubs don't require electricity to empty. :open_mouth: All of this to say I'm really looking forward to this fix. Yay!
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • lisamwittlisamwitt Posts: 5,079 Member
    I am excited about it. I've been saying since it was added that so many features were missing. And it looks like they are adding most if not all of the ones I'd thought of.
    Gallery ID: LadyGray01
    @GalacticGal
    I am glad I don't have to wash clothes by hand in real life but I sure do enjoy watching my sim do it. It adds a bit more challenge to the game to add laundry items. I am glad we have off the grid options for laundry.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    I'm very exited for this. I was playing off the grid in a save and as it is the system is almost unplayable, since there are very little options and some objects are not well tagged as off the grid.

With the pack and the renewable energy and water sources this will be even more cool.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    i think this could be a good update for the game. im not sure how much is the patch and how much will be in eco lifestlye. i guess i will see when they bring out patch notes.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020
    i think this could be a good update for the game. im not sure how much is the patch and how much will be in eco lifestlye. i guess i will see when they bring out patch notes.

They showed some gameplay in the stream :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    While I can't say I'm super excited for off the grid updates (other than doors and windows off the placement grid) I think it's going to add a lot of really interesting options, and I'm fully planning to update the conservationist station in Mua Pel'am with solar panels, dew collectors, and wind turbines and knock it off grid (if it isn't already.)

What else ends up off grid is yet to be determined, but I have some ideas... (eyes the campground in Granite Falls)
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I'm pretty excited for the patch, but my one huge concern is the water collecting. I hate it when Sims "grab water" from the sink now, I really hope these new sources don't make Sims autonomously seek out water there too.

And since I haven't yet found a mod that properly blocks the water drinking permanently, adding more sources for it could very well drive me to quit playing the game altogether if it is invasive. At least right now I can remove sinks from the house to try to avoid it.

But if anyone learns any more about it, please let me know.
    #Team Occult
  • NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited for the patch, but my one huge concern is the water collecting. I hate it when Sims "grab water" from the sink now, I really hope these new sources don't make Sims autonomously seek out water there too.

And since I haven't yet found a mod that properly blocks the water drinking permanently, adding more sources for it could very well drive me to quit playing the game altogether if it is invasive. At least right now I can remove sinks from the house to try to avoid it.

But if anyone learns any more about it, please let me know.

What’s strange is that I’ve never had an issue with Sims getting water autonomously while living off the grid. So I don’t feel worried about the new updates for getting water because I have to assume they mean large volumes of water for bathing and doing laundry. But I’m not sure. It’s something I am curious to see how it will work.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I'm looking forward to it but also not looking forward to it. It's probably going to break my mods. I will most likely have to wait for them to be updated before I can download it. :D
  • thenightcourtthenightcourt Posts: 173 Member
    I am SO excited for the update, even more so than the actual expansion pack.
    Never forgive, always forget.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I can't wait to thoroughly abuse the new ladders as I have several builds they're good for. Also, flat roofs.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • pink_coco10pink_coco10 Posts: 54 Member
    I cannot wait to try it out! I tried playing with off the grid at first when it was introduced but it was really hard since it was missing so much. I've started recently a new save game with a homeless sim and the lot trait. It will be much more fun to play this save game once the new patch rolles in and I will have more options with Seasons.

I do hope the new recepies with the frogs will be base game, I don't recall if they mentioned this in the livestream.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    I play off-grid in a couple households only, but I like the additions. Especially my monastery will get more play time with these updates. That said, the feature (kind of related) I'm most eager to check out is the split bills :) It always annoyed me a bit that we could not see what sort of costs would affect the bills more if reduced. My households living off-grid will often be low on income, knowing what bills include will help them a lot.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    I'm excited to finally explore this lot trait. I wanted to play around with it in Island Living but it was kind of lacklustre so I left it well alone. I can now think of at least two households where this trait makes sense - my conservationist mermaid and my cantankerous hermit spellcaster. Thanks, dev team!
  • SintheaSinthea Posts: 29 Member
    I'm excited for the lot trait to be reworked and relating items as well. Off The Grid simply wasn't able to be used in a way that made any sort of sense, let alone for playing an actual 'off the grid' story.
    It's just one of those days...
    Remaking the Apocalypse Challenge
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    I'm excited to finally explore this lot trait. I wanted to play around with it in Island Living but it was kind of lacklustre so I left it well alone. I can now think of at least two households where this trait makes sense - my conservationist mermaid and my cantankerous hermit spellcaster. Thanks, dev team!

Same! I tried it in IL, didn't like it. Difficult to find stuff that actually worked, things that looked like it should work, didn't etc. My sims were miserable, and I was miserable. The experiment didn't last long.

Actually looking forward to exploring whats in this pack, and see if I can make off-the-grid enjoyable this time around.

The bills splitting will be interesting as well. I remember in TS1, how you could click your funds and see more details about it. Glad some of that is coming back, as I'm very much a more-info-is-good type.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Will it remove brackish water debuff? Other than that little annoyance I'd totally play off the grid, may even let my celebrity give away her fame down the road, she's on degree #1 of many to come, had to restart other was on my hubby's laptop while mine was being fixed again, I'm excited for the new pack, any idea when patch update will be?
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    Will it remove brackish water debuff? Other than that little annoyance I'd totally play off the grid, may even let my celebrity give away her fame down the road, she's on degree #1 of many to come, had to restart other was on my hubby's laptop while mine was being fixed again, I'm excited for the new pack, any idea when patch update will be?

The patch should be available on June 2nd.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    edited May 2020
    More items that work off the grid would be nice. I hope it adds more lights and makes radios compatible, maybe even the new tv that comes in EL could be battery operated.
  • lovemy4slovemy4s Posts: 153 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    More items that work off the grid would be nice. I hope it adds more lights and makes radios compatible, maybe even the new tv that comes in EL could be battery operated.

They did mention that they did a big overhaul on the existing candles and lights to make more off grid. Also, with the ability to generate power and collect water we can use regular objects that require electricity and water normally until your resources run out but that part may only be with the EL pack.