Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Thread for new members to post their Sims 3 game issues (2020-22 version!)

Comments

• cupcake0021cupcake0021 Posts: 14 New Member
    @igazor that was 100% the problem! Thank you! I installed everything correctly, and my game runs at 60 FPS now :smile:
  • cupcake0021cupcake0021 Posts: 14 New Member
    @igazor hi, sorry, I just wanted to double check something with you, but when I checked my screen refresh rate under monitor settings, it's currently set at 48 Hertz, but there is an option to bump up to 60 Hertz--should I change the refresh rate or leave it alone because I remember reading that the refresh rate has to go hand in hand with fps (I think)? Thanks!!
  • AvarAvar Posts: 1 New Member
    So I have a bit of an question. I've got some expansions from second-hand stores (Ambitions, World Adventures, Supernatural, Town Life, etc. ofc with their keys non-redeemable anymore) that I wanted to add to my digital copies of the other expansions of the base game. I recall I did once have Supernatural working fine on an old laptop but after many years and moving to a new PC the Sims 3 launcher isn't showing the disc-installed expansions and instead just the digital ones.

I thought if I just moved the files for the disc expansions from the Electronic Arts folder they were in to the Sims 3 file in the Origin Games folder it would work, but I guess not. Any suggestions? (I've got Island Paradise as my latest & digital expansion if that helps)
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2021
    @cupcake0021 - The answer there is going to be "whichever way works better." (I realize that's not particularly helpful)

I don't know why you would need to throttle your monitor's refresh rate to 48 Hz, but as long as you not getting flickering or any other unwanted things it's probably not harmful. The human eye, for most of us anyway, wouldn't really be able to tell the difference. The fps rate should be capped to at or below the refresh rate of your monitor, so going by that rule it should run no higher than 48 fps for 48 Hz and no higher than 60 fps for 60 Hz. But an overrun of 12 fps, if it doesn't cause screen tears and the game performs well, is not likely to be all that harmful. An fps of 200 or higher might be a different story.

The opinions and experiences of others in this regard are all wrong and should be ignored of course also valuable and maybe some other players here have something to add to this answer. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • CherrycherrysCherrycherrys Posts: 3 New Member
    My game was crashing, so I regenerated another The Sims 3 folder and I would play for hours even in build/buy mode, but after hours of play my game crashes again, mostly when I'm at build/buy mode, but when the first crash happens, my game start crashing while in gameplay as well. I have package mods and sims3pack content installed (most of my cc´s were in sims3pack). I've tried removing the mods folder and I would still have the crashing issues, as I was tired and really upset about the crashes after I "discovered" that regenerating another folder would give me a few hours of gameplay without having to worry about freaking crash, I kept regenerating and moving my important folders back to the new The Sims 3 folder but I still don't have a clue what causes the game to crash after a few hours, so I noticed that the CurrentGame.sims3 folder was one thing I was assured that was an empty folder when I moved to The Sims 3 new folder, so I went to that folder and noticed it had some files, so I created a backup of the folder and moved all the files to trash, and I could play my game happily till I decided to shut down. This makes sense or I had lucky without crash?

I'm playing the 64bit problematic version :D
    @Cherrycherrys - I'm afraid that it's difficult to say whether you are chasing a cause of the crashing problem or a coincidental side-effect there.

The CurrentGame folder is meant to be empty when the game is not being played up through the time it starts up. Part of the startup sequence will load a copy of the game to be played there, and part of the Save (or Save As) sequence will copy the files back down to Saves. When the game exists gracefully, as it is meant to, the CurrentGame folder gets cleared out.

If the game ever crashes, the CurrentGame folder will not have had a chance to clear itself out. Usually this is not a problem as the startup sequence will clear out what is there and replace it with a fresh copy of your saved or newly generated game to play, but who knows maybe sometimes the clearing out bit could be prone to failure. Not sure that has ever been proven as such, but it's still generally a good practice to clear the CurrentGame folder out if the game is not running to remove anything that may have gotten stuck in there and give the startup sequence one less thing to worry about, so to speak.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • tristanedwards10tristanedwards10 Posts: 5 New Member
    Hello!

I've had serious CPU issues with Sims 3 for years now. I have every pack except for Katy Perrys, and my relevant computer specs are as follows:
    -16 GB Ram
    -Intel i5-6600 (3.3GHz)
    -GTX 1060 6GB

I have really bad problems with Sims 3 lagging when moving my camera in live mode and build mode, also general game lag etc.

Ram and Graphics Card are running amazing, CPU is getting beat down hard by the game at 100% usage which isn't enough for it.

Graphics are all on low except for draw distance and tree detail because I can't stand those being low.

Any thing crucial I need to do (Settings, mods) to help my CPU usage? I've looked at higher power CPUS but I'm looking for another solution before spending $350-400 on at 4GHz processor...
  • ElchieElchie Posts: 1 New Member
    Hihi!

Ive had the sims 3 for probably 6-7 years now and have always loved it (way better then sims 4 in my opinion) When I first started playing it I was on a crappy laptop so it running not so great was expected but over the years Ive upgraded to an actual PC and it doesn't seem to run any different. The create a sim menu has always been very slow and as I play the game (get more sims in my household etc) it gets slower and more spikey. I want to be able to play all the dlcs I have, mods, and custom content without it lagging. What computer specs will I need to run the sims 3 perfectly. I'm so tired and when changing a clothing section in create a sim waiting for it too all load up, and the loading screens taking forever.

Thank you so much for any replies I may receive. <3
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    @tristanedwards10 Are you sure that your CPU is running at 100%, and that Sims 3 is the cause? That shouldn't be the case—the game isn't nearly demanding enough to max out even the two cores of an i5-6600 that it can use, let alone all four. Origin, on the other hand, has been eating all the CPU resources lately, for no good reason. So please check CPU usage in the Task Manager and let me know what you see.

As a side note, I don't think you need to get a new processor, since this one should handle Sims 3 just fine, but if you did, you could only go as high as an i7-7700K unless you also swapped out the motherboard.

How high are your in-game framerates? If you haven't manually capped them, lowering the graphics settings would actually end up increasing the demands the game places on the CPU. Please check in-game: bring up the cheats console (crtl-shift-C) and enter "fps on" without quotes, and a number will appear in the upper right corner. Let me know roughly what kinds of framerates you're seeing, both the average and whether you notice any wild fluctuations.

Please also let me know whether you're currently using any mods, and what world(s) you're playing in.
    @Elchie Sims 3 is never going to run perfectly, at least by your standards, but there are certainly ways to optimize its performance. For loading times, the biggest improvement you can make is installing the game and keeping the user folder on a solid state drive. A fast processor and fast RAM help a little too, but moving from a mechanical drive to an SSD can cut down the time it takes to load CAS to a few seconds. All other loading times—the first and second loading screens, the travel transition, messing around in Edit Town—should decrease proportionally as well.

There are a lot of reasons the game might lag in live mode, and some can happen even on the strongest hardware. Mods and custom content can create problems, as can the world you're playing in, as can certain other game features; that's a whole other conversation.

In terms of hardware though, the most important component is the graphics card. An Nvidia 1650 should be fine either in a laptop or a desktop; a 1660 of any kind is a bit of overkill unless you want to play at a higher resolution than 1920x1080. If you get a prebuilt system, any new-ish processor paired with a good enough graphics card should also be fine, as would the typical 8 GB RAM, although 16 GB is nice to have for other reasons.

If you want to talk specifics, feel free to ask more questions. You can also link computers you're considering, or if you prefer, list the details of what you're looking for, how much you're willing to spend (in what currency) and what country you're in, and I can list some good examples.
  • TransGirlErinTransGirlErin Posts: 2 New Member
    On create a sim, there are no hair or clothes available to choose, instead showing a blank page. I also can't seem to move objects as I haven't got a mouse.
  • TransGirlErinTransGirlErin Posts: 2 New Member
    [quote="TransGirlErin;c-17852444"]On create a sim, there are no hair or clothes available to choose, instead showing a blank page. I also can't seem to move objects as I haven't got a mouse.[/quote]

Also alot of the buttons appear to be glitched out
  • geminisimblrgeminisimblr Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi! i'm new to this forum, not the sims 3, but i recently re bought the sims 3 a few weeks ago and I am having this lighting issue (possibly graphics issue), where when any of my sims go outside their skin glows really bright and their eyes go super dark. Same with when they're inside their eyes go darker (their whole eye) and then there are dark harsh shadows on their faces. Basically, when the sims are inside the lighting is dark, and when the sims are outside the lighting makes them glow, same with snow (the snow is so bright it just looks like there nothing there but the colour white). I have no idea how to fix this, I have downloaded lighting fixes but this doesn't help either. The lighting issue was also happening before I downloaded the lighting fixes (brntwaffles cc) or downloaded any custom content (hairs). Help would be much appreciated. (I'm also not too technical with graphics and whatnot) \

Not sure if this will be at all but here is my system summary ::
    OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    Version 10.0.19042 Build 19042
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name DESKTOP-0LRI7HO
    System Manufacturer HP
    System Model HP Pavilion x360 Convertible
    System Type x64-based PC
    System SKU Z4Q89PA#ABG
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2712 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.34, 26/02/2018
    SMBIOS Version 2.8
    Embedded Controller Version 57.53
    BIOS Mode UEFI
    BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
    BaseBoard Product 81A9
    BaseBoard Version 57.53
    Platform Role Mobile
    Secure Boot State On

Display ::
    Name Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_5916&SUBSYS_81A9103C&REV_02\3&11583659&1&10
    Adapter Type Intel(R) HD Graphics Family, Intel Corporation compatible
    Adapter Description Intel(R) HD Graphics 620
    Adapter RAM 1.00 GB (1,073,741,824 bytes)
  • LogicallyironicLogicallyironic Posts: 137 Member
    Hi,

Obviously a member now but this is a continuation of my last post so I hope it's okay to post here still.

I recently got a 2020 macbook pro with an apple M1 chip and put Sims 3 on it, + ambitions, late night, generations, and a few stuff packs. In terms of general performance, the gameplay runs beautifully. I never get any lag and only occasional stuttering using create-a-style.

The pro with M1 is 3.2 GHz. Is this high enough to play seasons and/or university along with my current xpacs?

• Shadow_IvyShadow_Ivy Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, just now I was playing The Sims 3 when suddenly it crashed on me as I was in the middle of saving, causing me to lose my progress. This is something that pretty much happens to me on a daily basis but the crashes have been more frequent now as well as the error code 12 messages. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out the issue/s behind why my game keeps crashing? I still have some of the previous xcpt files as well as the most recent one that appeared just minutes ago when the game crashed. I also have nraas errortrap installed so I also have the multiple script error files that were generated from that mod. I'm curious to know if it's the same issue causing the crashes/error 12 codes or if it's a different issue everytime. I'm really feeling hopeless at this point because I've tried literally every fix I could find on the internet such as updating the graphicscards & graphicsrules files, making it so the game runs on my NVIDIA chip instead of integrated graphics, allocating more RAM to the game, and I always delete my cache before reopening the game. I know the error code 12 is supposed to be related to running out of RAM but my laptop has 32 GB of RAM and like I said, I edited the files so the game can use 4 GB instead of 2 GB. I also always close any other programs except for background programs when I play and I have a 1 TB SSD with 300 GB free so that shouldn't be affecting my memory in any way. I also increased the pagefile memory dedicated to TS3. Anyway, could anyone be so kind as to look at the XCPT and scripterror files to help me determine what may be causing the crashes and/or error code 12 messages? I love this game so much and refuse to go back to TS4. If you need any other information or need to see any other files please let me know. Any help would be appreciated, thank you so much!

Device Information:

Device name LAPTOP-7LPQH3BN
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
    Installed RAM 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
    Device ID D4BDECD1-15D2-4E20-8F96-C61CA32F8736
    Product ID 00325-81799-34139-AAOEM
    System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
    Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
    1920 x 1080, 144 HZ

Edition Windows 10 Home
    Version 20H2
    Installed on ‎3/‎30/‎2021
    OS build 19042.867
    Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.551.0

Also my GPU is NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design
    Driver Version 465.89

Here is the link to view the script error nraas files as well as the XCPT files. I also attached the device config log just in case: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zp5kjn5nlcyv2tf/AACmCxtquRa07NnvLUFNkxcNa?dl=0
    edited April 2021
    @geminisimblr Does this happen in both fullscreen and windowed modes? Please test to find out, even if you prefer playing in one mode over the other. Please also run a dxdiag: hit Windows key-R, enter "dxdiag" without quotes, wait for the scan to finish, click "Save all information," and save the file to your desktop. From there, you can upload it to a third-party site and link it here.

The graphics chip in your laptop isn't really powerful enough to run Sims 3 well, at least not with most of the expansions present, so you might never get the graphics quality you're looking for. What you've described isn't normal though.

@Logicallyironic Yes, you should be able to play with whatever packs you want. The M1 chip is fast enough to handle all Sims 3 content, even running it through Rosetta 2, which is an impressive accomplishment for a virtualization setup.

I will say however that I've seen a couple of people report crashing issues on M1 Macs, not enough to indicate a general problem but still worth mentioning. So maybe you want to buy one pack at a time and see how the game runs. Particularly with Seasons, try out rain and snow before concluding that everything is fine, just to be on the safe side.

@Shadow_Ivy Crash logs are mostly useless, but these ones do point to the issue. As an example:

Total physical memory: 32599 Mb
    Available physical memory: 23140 Mb
    Total page file memory: 132599 Mb
    Available page file memory: 120272 Mb
    Total virtual memory: 4095 Mb
    Free virtual memory: 93 Mb

Despite the 32 GB system memory, Sims 3 is a 32-bit app and can only use 4 GB minus some overhead. As you can see, the game was almost out of memory at the time of the crash, and that's likely the cause. The other logs list the game's free memory as between 83 and 136 MB, enough that even a brief spike in use would be enough to cause a crash.

The game can already use 4 GB without any file edits—it was made Large Address Aware back in 2010. What you changed was likely the default value for the script heap, and that's 20 GB, not 2; go back and count the zeroes. Since this change is neutral at best and might possibly be mildly harmful, it's best to revert to the default value.

For the crashing itself, how much RAM is the game using right after you've loaded your save, and after you've been playing it for 20 minutes or so? It's possible that this save is too overloaded to run for long before hitting the memory limit. Please also let me know what world you're playing in and whether you've taken steps to manually limit your in-game framerates.
    edited April 2021
    @Shadow_Ivy - To add to the above if I may, your ErrorTrap logs really only indicate two errors. One is with a pet hygienator that appears to be on the World Lot. This means in between other lots, not really on one, such as where roads and the spaces between lots would be. It needs to be found, removed, and replaced if it still wanted. MasterController can help you find it unless you have so many pet hygienators in this world that you would have replace all of them to kill off the error.

The other is with the outfits for three Imaginary Friends in the same household. Since they are repeatedly kicking up this error when it's time to go to school, I will assume that they have been converted to "real" sims and are not just dolls. How were these conversions to real sims done and if you know who these sims are and care about them, can you try changing all of their outfits in CAS?

Generally speaking though, ErrorTrap logs should be brought to us at NRaas for interpretation. It's kind of what we are there for. But we can't really say with any certainty that these errors are causing your RAM/resource overrun or just contributing to it as @puzzlezaddict describes. She is taking you down the correct path towards resolution, the trick is to find out why the game is calling for more RAM than it can possibly use and stop that or make it use less.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • crystalssimscrystalssims Posts: 1 New Member
    My game looks completely washed out. It's way too bright and everything is off. Is there a way to fix this?
  • skc_simsskc_sims Posts: 14 New Member
    Hey I’ve got an issue that’s just occurred! Today randomly after using cheats to add something to a community lot, my home lot seems to have completely broken? What I’m seeing is all the walls up but with NO furniture or decor. At all. My sims live in an apartment, and the ground floor with the elevator is broken too, just nothing there. When I enter build/buy mode, everything is fine, furniture and all. Live mode, broken. They’re interacting with the objects still.

Now right when this issue occurred, I had a notification that said there was a script error with the woohooer mod. I don’t know if that has anything to do with it? The other nraas mods I have are master controller (with cheats module, I’ve tried resetting everything, hasn’t worked) cupcake, over watch and story progression. I also have an ‘only important memories’ mod but I believe that has nothing do do with it. Any help would be great, especially considering it’s one of the sims birthday today in game and I want to celebrate it before I log off for today haha
    edited May 2021
    @skc_sims - What was the cheat and did you undo it (switch it off) when finished and before returning to live mode?

Does doing a Save As (new game save name), quit all the way to the desktop, and reload not fix the problem? And does a MasterController reset of your lot help at all? If not, I suggest you add ErrorTrap to your mod collection and bring any script logs to us at NRaas for help in interpreting them.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > @skc_sims - What was the cheat and did you undo it (switch it off) when finished and before returning to live mode?
    >
    > Does doing a Save As (new game save name), quit all the way to the desktop, and reload not fix the problem? And does a MasterController reset of you lot help at all? If not, I suggest you add ErrorTrap to your mod collection and bring any script logs to us at NRaas for help in interpreting them.

It was just 'testingcheatsenabled true', I always have it on and never switch it off because I've never had issues with going into lots and using "build/buy on this lot" before. And yes, I have tried the 'reset lot' command, that's the first thing I did and it didn't work, so I next did "reset everything" but as I mentioned that didn't help either! I haven't tried the "save as" thing yet! I'll have a go at that now :)
    [quote="igazor;c-17870466"]@skc_sims - What was the cheat and did you undo it (switch it off) when finished and before returning to live mode?

Does doing a Save As (new game save name), quit all the way to the desktop, and reload not fix the problem? And does a MasterController reset of your lot help at all? If not, I suggest you add ErrorTrap to your mod collection and bring any script logs to us at NRaas for help in interpreting them.[/quote]

I just did that save as option you suggested and it appears to have worked! All the furniture is back in it’s place, so thank you very much for your help again! :)
    @skc_sims - Glad that's all it was, then. For future reference, testingcheatsenabled on all the time is totally fine. NRaas Overwatch even has an option to arrange that for us. It's how Twallan (our founder, now retired) used to play and you know, if it was good enough for him...etc.

I was concerned it was one of the more obscure and deeper reaching cheats that was causing the problem but apparently that concern was totally unfounded. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    > @igazor said:
    > @skc_sims - Glad that's all it was, then. For future reference, testingcheatsenabled on all the time is totally fine. NRaas Overwatch even has an option to arrange that for us. It's how Twallan (our founder, now retired) used to play and you know, if it was good enough for him...etc.
    >
    > I was concerned it was one of the more obscure and deeper reaching cheats that was causing the problem but apparently that concern was totally unfounded. :)

Yeah! I do actually use overwatch to keep testingcheats on at all times, because I always need it at some point and it's just SO convenient. I'm really happy that things seem to be working fine. I'm still a little concerned if I'm honest about the script error notif I got about woohooer in game. I just closed the notif and thought that was strange. I thought it was connected to the broken lot glitch but it clearly isn't and now I'm just wondering... well what do I do? Do I need to anything? Maybe when I get back on tomorrow I'll check the settings for the mod in game. Apologies if this sounds silly to you haha, prior to my last post in March I never used mods in Sims 3 and now I've got a few, I'd still say I'm kinda new haha! :smile:
    edited May 2021
    @skc_sims - We can't actually openly discuss that mod on this forum because some of what it does is deemed age-inappropriate.

But regardless of the mod throwing script errors, we really need to see the resulting script error logs (not the on-screen notification) at NRaas in order to help interpret them. Without actually getting to read the logs I would say that could be anything from something totally harmless or not really much of an error to an early warning that your game is just about to explode into a Fiery Ball Visible From Space™. Hopefully something much closer to the former than the latter. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top