Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Left Shoulder, Right

AbellaKellaherAbellaKellaher Posts: 852 Member
So ok, here's my second third attempt after saving the first draft only to NOT have it save - or at least not be able to find it 😁

This is NOT a story - other rather simply an account of my playing during the last 6 months or so and the "story" in my head as I played. Not too long before this began I had made my first ever Sim-Self and not too long after that the idea of Left Shoulder, Right was born.

Left Shoulder, Right is the story of two versions of myself tweaked (a lot ;) ) in my favorite era (the 1920s-1930s) set as twin sisters that were separated in childhood after their parents unexpectedly died in a freak accident involving a meteor shower and an elevator. Betha, the fairy on the left (their right,) was sent to Denmark live with distant cousins on her mother's side. Bella, the dark daughter of the night on the right, was sent to New Orleans to live with a woman who owned a small variety saloon in which Bella eventually played piano for until she and her sister turned 18.

When Bella and Betha turned 18 they received the remainder of the small inheritance they had gotten from their parents that they had left and decided to buy a house together in Roaring Heights in hopes of regaining the sense of family they had lost. Here they are in front of their slightly modified (to turn one bedroom into 2) starter home. Betha already has a job at City Hall as a podium polisher. Growing up so close to the stage Bella has stars in her eyes and quickly finds work as a Sing-A-Gram. As a side note - true irl story: I was separated from my own real life younger half sister as a child and, honest to God, reconnected 20 years later when she happened across and responded to a now lonnnng-dead personal blog in which I had posted about a pretty rare medical condition that I had been diagnosed with that coincidentally her mother (we share a bio father) suffered from. I wasn't posting under my real name, and neither was she. Eventually I realized it was her and we reconnected immediately. Though we grew up completely separate and in very different areas in very different families, when we met the similarities in our lives, personalities and our appearance (though she's prettier ;) ) was uncanny. I was tall, thin, had long, unstyled black hair and wore small square orange tinted glasses, and the first time I met her I was wearing a white peasant skirt with a black flouncy shirt with crocheted black lace edges. She is tall and thin, had long unstyled black hair, wore small square purple tinted glasses and the first time we met she wore a black peasant skirt with a white flouncy top with, you guessed it, crocheted trim. And before you ask, no it wasn't the 60s 😜 Tell me the universe doesn't work in mysterious ways. I dare you. I DARE you ;) We now call each other "cc"/"CC" for the old skool way of "carbon copy." She's the little c's and I'm the big C's, naturally. ;) But I digress, here are the girls in my story :)
eNGPGov.jpg

Before reading on let me apologize for the poor image quality at this time. I typically process screen caps in Photoshop so that I can tweak lighting or colors or remove rendering boogers, etc. Unfortunately I'm having a conflict opening it lately so these are processed in paint and no tweaking other than putting them into panels (something I am very fond of doing.) Eventually I'll figure out the conflict, but for now please bear with me until I do :)

The first week the girls just really got to know each other. Even though they're identical, and she only ate salads, Betha started adding on the lbs immediately so I had her working out to the radio after work. I really want Bella to eventually master all of the instruments so I had her begin on piano because, let's face it, she looks pretty great in front of that baby grand ;)
S29tYlq.jpg

During one of her first singagrams, Bella was able to meet 3 of the 5 Marks brothers after one of them completed a workout. This is one of my favorite parts of Roaring Heights, the homages to old screen stars and especially the Marxs having grown up with a healthy diet of Animal Crackers and Duck Soup, my dad a huge fan of the Marx brothers. So Bella took the opportunity to get to know the 3 as much as possible before her next sing-a-gram. In between other gigs I had Bella start learning alchemy recipes so she could eventually make her own sunscreen so I added the elixir shoppe. I also converted the firestation in the game bin into a dive bar called Skinny Jimmy's (Bella in the bottom right is standing outside of it) and added it right down the street from the girls. It quickly became Bella's favorite hangout.
ArYf1sw.jpg

The next week Betha met this handsome devil at work and I knew right away that he would become the love of her life. Meanwhile Bella, who was not looking for love, just a little fun, ran into one of the Marks brothers and got her flirt on.
d3S6CHL.jpg

Week three found Bella still working on her piano, and still singing sing-a-grams. Though she has stars in her eyes she also feels humiliated by her position, feeling her past should have given her a leg up in this business. And still having enough to pay her half of the bills and literally living on juice, she didn't feel the pressure of finances urging her on. On Wednesday the girls decided to head over to the small park just down the road. Immediately, like a magnet, Bella b-lined it to the Marks brothers that happened to also be visiting the park. Betha ran into Elliot and after talking and getting to know each other, he and Betha played horse shoes until it was too dark to see.
VWfWMon.jpg

In my families that I play, there's one plunger, no matter who breaks the toilet. I typically buy the crappiest toilet until one sim has repaired enough plumbing objects to qualify for the plumber skill challenge in handiness. Then they can buy a nicer toilet and upgrade it to be self cleaning. :) In this family that's Bella since Betha has a work schedule. She's still working on her alchemy at this point. A lot of the stars of the 1920s were firmly in the grips of Egyptomania, and Bella is no exception. She's hoping to convince Betha to take a small trip there so that Bella can impress her friends by saying she'd actually been there so they were going to need a lot of sunscreen, friendship and invigorating elixirs Elliot and Betha went on their first date to the community garden after work. It was a lovely outing and Elliot was the perfect gentleman. Sunset is so pretty in Roaring Heights 😍
KSQ3W1R.jpg

I tried to keep the girls reasonable with their furnishings and their attire, letting them add clothing pieces only once a week or so, or if they had gotten a raise or had an event to go to. I've also started moving Betha's job performance back to zero because a promotion every day or two was just too fast to me. Here she is telling Bella that I forgot to do that on this particular day and she was promoted to campaign intern. The girls went out to the Luminous for a quick drink to celebrate but by the time they got there Betha was exhausted and decided to head home as soon as they got there while Bella sat at the bar waiting to order drinks. Awkwaaaard 😬😬😉😁
1zINs3A.jpg

So remember how I said that I learned that I'm just not able to play meanly? Here are some caps from the one and only argument that Bella and Betha have had. Unfortunately I accidentally put them slightly out of order, so here's the evening before, where Bella was flirting up (and woohooing) with Sharpo Marks
7JhMOWv.jpg

I imagined the argument going some thing like this:

"Hey Bella! You're up bright and early! I didn't hear you come home last night."
"Ha that's because I didn't! I ran into Sharpo at Skinny Jimmy's looking dapper as ever and we both got spifflicated, then we went back to his house for a little night cap and our own private little petting party. That guy's the cat's pajamas! His brother Dino is a real hoot, too."
"Oh, uh, hmm.. You might want to be careful around here. There are a lot of paparazzi, people might think you're chippy."
"Listen sis, I'm not like you all Pollyanna. Mom and Dad's death taught me that life is short. If you want to spend it with your bank closed that's your decision and I ain't gonna knock ya for it. But not me, sister. I'm going to LIVE. I'm going to sing, and dance, and live, and kiss and whatever else I wanna do. If you don't like it, tough!"
mIZCoav.jpg

"Oh Bella, I didn't mean to tell you how to live. You're certainly capable of making your own decisions. I'm sorry if you thought I was judging you. You're my sister and I'll always love you, always, and I'll never think anything other than you are the most wonderful sister on the planet. Please forgive me. How about you get some sleep and then later go to the park for the cookoff. Absolutely everyone will be there! You can kiss anyone you want!" "Betha that sounds like the bee's knees!".... Or something like that anyway. Yeah I know, a real vicious drama lol😆😂
7FUgW0h.jpg

The girls went to the park later and seeing the number of people there, Bella decided to try and impress some of them with her voice while Betha discussed local politics over Dominos. Later in the week Elliot took Betha on their second date, to a party where they ended up watching the stars.
iZd29kb.jpg

So there's the first bit for anyone who's interested. There's a lot more play but finding out your home has a 3 story wall that has black mold from the inside out kinda puts a damper on photo editing. Oh forced self home renovation. If I didn't have to worry about social distancing I'd have half a mind to hire a camera crew because taking care of that myself is going to be hilarious. Seriously. Queue yakity sacks 😁😂

Gonna tag @emorrill because she's the one that said she'd love to see it :)🥰🤗