Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• Options
    KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I do worry about the fact that people that does not work for EA/Maxis are defending this.

It is valid criticism for the customer to feel that they are being cheap with the animations and the only real benefit is that EA/Maxis are saving time and money. But that is up to the company to defend, not the fans, it is up to the company to show what new animations and features that they have made and they are doing a really poor job of showing this in the trailers.

They fact that some people in their company are focusing on the negative things does not help either.

...I am sorry but WHY are people defending this!! ;-; It's....so....lazy.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I honestly think people over-react about it. Recycled animations are actually a really good way to save money and add more gameplay into the pack because they're not spending half their budget on them.

I've never ever seen a fanbase so commited to saving money for a business lol. The packs are paid with a large markup. They're doing well with the profits and already save tons of money with the amount of cut corners, trust me :)

I discussed this in my replies to tweets but I'll mention it again, isn't a significant portion of The Sims gameplay...animations? Other than progression and building, live mode is literally based on animations.

It would be "saving money" for them if they did it instead of also creating new animation. But I've yet to see a pack without some new animation. Animation reuse, whether within a game/pack or between packs, is also common in game design/development. It's not special to Sims.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    For me, it is irksome when it feels like they make gameplay choices *based* on available animations instead of coming up with something novel. Like, let’s make a polluting dust buster just because we have that sucking repo man and strangerville boss gun animation available. Instead of thinking of an entirely different idea, it’s like they make decisions based on what’s already available.

Just like the Strangerville serum and the vampire cure. They all use the “throw drink” animation. Like those are in no way the *same* gameplay. Kind of a telling choice to use the same animations.

P.S. I fully admit I’m on team conspiracy when it comes to a knitting pack suddenly “winning” shortly after a knitting animation appeared in Uni. Maybe coincidence, or maybe they just gave us options to vote on based on animations they knew they had. 🤷🏽‍♀️🤪

You and me both.

• Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Animations take a lot of time to create. Time is money spent. I am glad they can use animations they already have. This way they can spend more time on details and other things that may have to to the wayside. I think if they spent their time and most of their budget on new animations we might get less. This is my opinion and some may not agree. That's okay!

I feel the same goes for objects with new skins or recoloring. I don't look at it as cutting corners or being lazy. I see it as a way to add more content to a pack.

Something to think about ....
    A while back someone made a video about hero objects (the focus item for each pack) and it impressed me. I think it was Carl but not sure. The video made me realize that I don't even use some of the objects and I was not using each pack to its full potential. The rock climbing wall is one example. I am positive that they spent a lot of time on this object and it's animations. So after I watched the video I went and added rock walls to the two gyms I built before the pack came out. I also added buffet tables to nightclubs and bees to my parks. I can't remember what else I did but I do remember the impact.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    I honestly think people over-react about it. Recycled animations are actually a really good way to save money and add more gameplay into the pack because they're not spending half their budget on them.

I've never ever seen a fanbase so commited to saving money for a business lol. The packs are paid with a large markup. They're doing well with the profits and already save tons of money with the amount of cut corners, trust me :)

I discussed this in my replies to tweets but I'll mention it again, isn't a significant portion of The Sims gameplay...animations? Other than progression and building, live mode is literally based on animations.

It would be "saving money" for them if they did it instead of also creating new animation. But I've yet to see a pack without some new animation. Animation reuse, whether within a game/pack or between packs, is also common in game design/development. It's not special to Sims.

Yes, but it is a given and very expected to get new animations with each pack. We don't, and doubt will ever, know that reusing that animation was a trade-off for a new animation. It's definitely in their budget for each pack to animate new actions.

I'll relink tweets to your other claim:

Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    GamingTweetyGamingTweety Posts: 851 Member
    I have no problem with reused animations, that means they spent more time building the gameplay. Why would they need to recreate new animations for only one object when they have something similiar in game? Doesn't look smart, does it?
    Gallery id: GamingTweety

Looking for some custom animations? Check out my youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKrWaxowK2vCzwkz6bEZRbg

Deviantart profile: https://gamingtweety.deviantart.com/
  • Options
    I have no problem with reused animations, that means they spent more time building the gameplay. Why would they need to recreate new animations for only one object when they have something similiar in game? Doesn't look smart, does it?

I've answered this basically throughout the entire thread so I guess if you still see no point then *shrug*

I'm not there to clap for being 'smart' and cheap about a product I'm paying for but okay.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    peragogoperagogo Posts: 223 Member
    We haven’t seen everything those objects do and what animations are all reused. It’s close to the same animation for exiting dumpster woohoo vs coffin woohoo but it is a different one for actually starting it at least.

Too soon to judge. Wait til tomorrow.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    peragogo wrote: »
    We haven’t seen everything those objects do and what animations are all reused. It’s close to the same animation for exiting dumpster woohoo vs coffin woohoo but it is a different one for actually starting it at least.

Too soon to judge. Wait til tomorrow.

I think only the last segment of the animation, when they come out of the dumpsters is reused, the rest of the animation is new.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think the great amount of recycled animations and reskinned objects are what is making me the consumer only believe their newest DLC to be worth only a $5 purchase. I have seen nothing that justifies the $40 full EP cost for this latest pack. I have very high standards when it comes to what I think would make game content worth the full price cost.
    Post edited by NorthDakotaGamer on
  • Options
    Honestly it's when people don't have a problem and defend the team like crazy is probably they keep getting away with it...saying "Well, they aren't complaining let's keep doing the easy way out..."
  • Options
    IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    I think the 'can be easily made unique' is debatable. Animations are very expensive and those resources can be used towards other new content. People are complaining as it is that packs are lacking in content (I disagree,) so can you imagine if they had to make every single animation unique? It'd be a lot worse. Every pack has a budget that they must adhere to.
  • Options
    IceyJ wrote: »
    I think the 'can be easily made unique' is debatable. Animations are very expensive and those resources can be used towards other new content. People are complaining as it is that packs are lacking in content (I disagree,) so can you imagine if they had to make every single animation unique? It'd be a lot worse. Every pack has a budget that they must adhere to.

Icey, I already clarified that what I meant by easily is that it can be easily done differently and not that it is easy to animate. Anyways, a hyperbole doesn't win you an argument.

Never have I ever said *every animation*, but definitely for ones that are advertised as selling points and are very much so part of the theme. I don't honestly care if they have a small budget they have to stick to, people are paying $40 so they are free to criticise.

Honestly, really makes you question how they constantly flaunt how well TS4 is selling yet how often there are short-comings.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited May 2020
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    Animations take a lot of time to create. Time is money spent. I am glad they can use animations they already have. This way they can spend more time on details and other things that may have to to the wayside. I think if they spent their time and most of their budget on new animations we might get less. This is my opinion and some may not agree. That's okay!
    Well we sure are losing out on the animations maybe one day the detail will come you're talking about 6 years and nothing yet.

Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    Jon the WizardJon the Wizard Posts: 268 Member
    I'm okay with it. I mean, it fits the theme of the pack!

Jokes aside, I don't see a problem with it as long as the content itself is good.
  • Options
    chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    I much rather they recycle animations with more content and gameplay than a few new animations that reduce the amount of gameplay. Yeah, there's a balance between quantity and quality but imagine they made only one or two new things you can do with 10 new animations each and still charge the same. I don't think it's bad to recycle animations tbh, if it fits and you gain time to put on some other type of work is it really that bad?
  • Options
    Carpbeat24Carpbeat24 Posts: 987 Member
    Honestly it's when people don't have a problem and defend the team like crazy is probably they keep getting away with it...saying "Well, they aren't complaining let's keep doing the easy way out..."

100% this. Why would they expend more effort, money, and time on improvement if there are no complaints and people are buying the product regardless?

Criticism is important to keep the game on track. We are shelling out quite a bit of money on this game and it's only fair we get to have an opinion on content.

I, for one, am not going to be blindly buying every pack that comes out, just because it's The Sims. No. Money is our voice in these situations. If enough people don't buy content, it will hurt EA's wallet and only then, will they hopefully get the hint that we are not happy and find content like this completely unacceptable.
    F8wHsKZ.png
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I'm still annoyed that they didn't even make sims take their clothes off before entering the shower. That is one fine example where a re-used animation actually does harm, because it breaks immersion.

god yes! I was really exited about the shower woohoo but...why are they dressed?
    now, when I use it I change the sims into either sleepwear, swimwear or towels before...but for that both sims have to played ones so it's only a semi-solution.

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Not sure which animations everyone is saying are being recycled. But, if you want EA to take notice of your displeasure complaining on a forum won't do it. Just don't purchase and when enough stop buying they'll get the message.

I didn't buy ROM because most of what it does I can replicate in the science career.

I know folks need to vent, I've done my share of it. But it is getting sad that most of the posts are complaints, and aren't folded into the complaining thread.

wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I don't mind at all if we are talking about interaction with similar objects. I press buttons in my fridge in the same way I press on the microwave.

The problem is that sims themselves all move equally regardless their traits, or even emotions most times. Other people may do the same thing we all do over and over but they do it differently.

The fact that most conversations look the same despite any interaction you choose concerns me way more. It's there every time. How many times one vacuums thin air in game or pet little creatures that rely on you purchasing a specific pack? Optimize resources. Congratulations, seriously. A new animation could be created elsewhere (improving the sims behavior, I hope).
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options

Nah, they see the complainers, too. B)
  • Options

Icey, I already clarified that what I meant by easily is that it can be easily done differently and not that it is easy to animate. Anyways, a hyperbole doesn't win you an argument.

Never have I ever said *every animation*, but definitely for ones that are advertised as selling points and are very much so part of the theme. I don't honestly care if they have a small budget they have to stick to, people are paying $40 so they are free to criticise.

Honestly, really makes you question how they constantly flaunt how well TS4 is selling yet how often there are short-comings.

Who's trying to win an argument? I didn't read your whole thread so I saw no clarifications... Wulfsimmer.

Since we're creating things out of thin air: I did not accuse you of saying 'every animation.' I also didn't say no one could criticize. I just gave my take on the situation; no need to be so sensitive.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Who's trying to win an argument? I didn't read your whole thread so I saw no clarifications... Wulfsimmer.

Since we're creating things out of thin air: I did not accuse you of saying 'every animation.' I also didn't say no one could criticize. I just gave my take on the situation; no need to be so sensitive.

What? You literally said "so can you imagine if they had to make every single animation unique?" If that wasn't directed at me then why post it here?

Also, never said you said no one can criticise. I simply replied to your argument about people complaining.

Not sensitive.
    Post edited by Wulfsimmer on

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I'd rather have more gameplay and new objects than new animations for the sake of getting new animations.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    Some animation reuse makes sense and is acceptable, others not so much. Reusing eating animation is not the same as blatantly ripping off a previous animation to not having to make a new one, or even missing animations. Sometimes it just look so cheap. Especially if the animation is supposed to represent a completely new scenario for the sim. Some situations are less obvious, but still looks like they are cheap skates; like the toddler animation in the ocean. It wouldn't even take much to change it - just add a different toy and voilá.
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---