Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recycled Animations in Eco Lifestyle

Comments

• SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited May 2020
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sk85rBuosbU

This ^

Even game changers are starting to openly confirm that we get so much less content per pack than we used to and that it's a problem. Especially because they keep telling us that this is the best-selling iteration? And animation processes have actually become far more effective and more versatile? And most other AAA titles are out there pushing the boundaries of what's possible? Working their butts off to create the very best gaming experiences with depth, gorgeous visuals and hoooouuuuurs of gameplay?

I want the sims team to do this too. I want EA to let them do it. After all the money we've given them - and yes even if we like TS4 and enjoy it for what it is - they can do better. And they have to do better.
    edited May 2020
    Scobre wrote: »
    In conclusion yes animations have been recycled over the past 20 years. It isn't anything new. How we identify with the game being the Sims and why we keep buying each iteration is adjusting to change is hard for some so the animations and pack themes do carry over from game to game and pack to pack. Why other gaming communities wonder how we can keep buying the same Sims games over the years when to them, the game never changes. I am curious about Paralives' take on animations just to see something completely new with movements.

Just as an FYI: people have to stop saying that recreating a feature or a similar animation in a completely new engine is recycling. It isn't. Because it still has to be made from scratch, so even if it looks exactly the same, it's not copy/pasted. It's designed anew.

Recycling is only about reusing the exact same animation or object (just reskinned and recoloured) from the same iteration and paste it on top of "new gameplay" - except again: if you don't need to animate or design much for this gameplay, that's an incredbly cheap way to produce stuff and hardly deserves the name new.

I'm not saying you don't know this but I see people say "eh they've always recycled, we had pets in all iterations" - it doesn't work like that. That's not what recycling - the problematic kind - is, at least not with TS4 since it doesn't use any assets from 2 or 3.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited May 2020
    SimTrippy wrote: »

This ^

Even game changers are starting to openly confirm that we get so much less content per pack than we used to and that it's a problem. Especially because they keep telling us that this is the best-selling iteration? And animation processes have actually become far more effective and more versatile? And most other AAA titles are out there pushing the boundaries of what's possible? Working their butts off to create the very best gaming experiences with depth, gorgeous visuals and hoooouuuuurs of gameplay?

I want the sims team to do this too. I want EA to let them do it. After all the money we've given them - and yes even if we like TS4 and enjoy it for what it is - they can do better. And they have to do better.

I agree. The new games that are releasing now are the result of years of hard work where the publishers and the game developers have invested in improving their games and in the process that it takes to make them, including animations. This costed them a lot of money but they did it because they believed that it would pay off in the end.

I would like to see EA and Maxis do the same for the sims. Improve how they are creating their content and make it better.

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited May 2020
    I respect Graham as a developer. He seems to be a really friendly nice guy, too. He also listens (maybe the only one) to players and willing to answer questions about many things. However, I don't need my Sim to socialize and multitask for every object. I wish they would start to understand that. ETA: In response to the posted texts stated by Graham of why things are so expensive to do..that someone posted here.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • alan650111alan650111 Posts: 3,295 Member
    I personally would LOVE tons more new animations for the game. I mainly think we need new traits that have special animations for new interactions. Those would truly give more personality to these sims. However, I have no problem with them recycling animations when it comes to skill objects that will give us NEW RESULTS! I think skills are one of the best things about any Sims game and you can really add personality when you have huge variety of hobbies to choose from. If recycling animations leads to more hobbies and skills then I all for it! I'd rather them be able to add 3 new hobbies to a pack and recycle animations than use brand new ones and only be able to add one new skill or active object in a pack! The results are the most important in the concept in my mind.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @Scobre thanks for posting the videos, it is interesting to see direct comparisons.

I find recycled animations within the sims 4 to be acceptable some of the time, but there are occasions when it just seems plain wrong.

The shower woohoo is the obvious example, taken from closet woohoo. I hate it. Clothing on, then entirely disappearing in an insufficient cloud of steam - totally lame. They really really need to redo that altogether.

But even where it is feasible to use an existing animation for something doesn't mean they should always do that.
  • KaeChan2089KaeChan2089 Posts: 4,944 Member
    edited May 2020

This ^

This! This is what I keep trying to convince people, even game changers (that usually praise the game up and down hardly EVER complaining.) are starting to see the short-comings of this installment....

Still they will say "so what , game changers don't speak for me."

BUT I am trying to point out that EVEN people who love the game are now starting to see what SOME of us have seen ALL along, that's all I'm trying to say xD
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Even chairs should get new animations after six years. In TS3 I was so pleased to see a Sim guy sit with his legs crossed while he sat and waited on me to let him do someting. lol No more just sitting with hands on thighs. We didn't have the leg cross in TS2. Innovation should keep going. Even if TS4 is a tiny game compared to the older ones, it should animate more things in new ways. Such as sit on the arm of a chair. When a new object is created there really should be a new animation or interaction with it. It reminds me of custom content so much. A modder clones a Maxis object, changes it's skin into something else, but ties the animation to that object and the bhavs. It's the same ray gun just by a different name. C'mon they make money like there is no tomorrow. Shouldn't we expect more after that billion dollar bank roll. I feel Maxis animators get no love from Maxis.

I wanted this since forever 😅😅😅😅😅 they should have various ways of sitting. That always kinda bothered me. And they should be able to sit on the counter, the floor, the arm chair, the coffee table etc.

I would really like this feature but sadly, They seem to stop at it. I remember when Get Together was released and lot of new "reaction" animation was patched in the base game which adds more. ariety into the game. Now they dont do that anymore and those new animations are now repetetive.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    @Scobre thanks for posting the videos, it is interesting to see direct comparisons.

I find recycled animations within the sims 4 to be acceptable some of the time, but there are occasions when it just seems plain wrong.

The shower woohoo is the obvious example, taken from closet woohoo. I hate it. Clothing on, then entirely disappearing in an insufficient cloud of steam - totally lame. They really really need to redo that altogether.

But even where it is feasible to use an existing animation for something doesn't mean they should always do that.
    Yeah the disappearing in shower always bothered me too. I loved Sims 2 cooking animations the best because they used to pull spoons out of cabinets instead of skin tight pants and skirts. I agree it depends on each case. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. That channel has a whole series of animations so just interesting to see if change over the years. I know animation isn't easy and have seen first hand how skilled people are in coding that work on the game thanks to Twitch. But yes I admit I am never a fan of shortcuts with animations. I wasn't with Sims 3 are because of how well the animations for cars were in the Sims 2. I know the Gurus are skilled to do it and I am ok with packs taking more development time if it means full simulation where it makes sense. There are some cases like Sims taking a hour and a half game time shower that doesn't make sense to me.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    You know the more animations they do, the less items they have time for. So re-using physical animations is not such a bad thing.

Besides, I kind of like the way they use the hoover animation.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    You know the more animations they do, the less items they have time for. So re-using physical animations is not such a bad thing.

Even objects require animations.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    I wish they would just give us a Sims 4 Missing Animations Expansion no clothing or hair no worlds just all animations. No longer would Sims lay in bed lifeless instead they could cuddle or read a book or watch tv, the dish washer would not open itself oh the posibilities. We could also get slow dancing and games kids could play without an object.

So we can do "more" with items that play and look exactly like we have already so exciting.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    I wish they would just give us a Sims 4 Missing Animations Expansion no clothing or hair no worlds just all animations. No longer would Sims lay in bed lifeless instead they could cuddle or read a book or watch tv, the dish washer would not open itself oh the posibilities. We could also get slow dancing and games kids could play without an object.

So we can do "more" with items that play and look exactly like we have already so exciting.

Yessssssssss I would totally welcome a pack with nothing but animations and interactions!!! It's something I wished for a long time now but 10out of 10 won't happen 😕
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
    ChadSims2 wrote: »

Yessssssssss I would totally welcome a pack with nothing but animations and interactions!!! It's something I wished for a long time now but 10out of 10 won't happen 😕

Can all be part of my much wanted "TS4 Get Real" pack: new animations, interactions, traits, fixed aspirations and fixed emotions xD
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    https://youtu.be/dYkPzzFEMcg

I just want to point out a really great YouTube channel that specializes in the comparison of TS1-TS4. If anything it's a great way to see the improvement of things as well as stylistic differences between the games in the series. Unfortunately it's also interesting to see how TS4 might be lacking in some areas. Not all! But some.

I things it's fun and I enjoy watching them 😊
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited May 2020
    That's what I really didnt like about the sims 3 interactions. I still had fun with the game, but there times were I wish there more interactions just so I wouldn't have to see the same animations played out everytime. Toddler interaction and animations in 3 got extremely repetitive in short time. I think the recycling of the same interactions and animations in sims games have been over done for a long time. I do see it as a way to cut corners instead bring new idea to the game
    giphy.gif

• elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    @BrittanyChick22 looking at the video posted above by @Bearpal64 and earlier by @Scobre I was amazed at how the sims 3 animations looked the worst of them all.

I used to really enjoy that game, though I did always think the way the sims moved was a little odd. But, looking through that particular video, you can see the sims 2 was decent, the sims 3 was meh and the sims 4 is actually as good as, if not better, than the sims 2 was.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    @BrittanyChick22 looking at the video posted above by @Bearpal64 and earlier by @Scobre I was amazed at how the sims 3 animations looked the worst of them all.

I used to really enjoy that game, though I did always think the way the sims moved was a little odd. But, looking through that particular video, you can see the sims 2 was decent, the sims 3 was meh and the sims 4 is actually as good as, if not better, than the sims 2 was.

I would highly recommend watching the other videos from that channel. The other videos touch on the difference between the gameplay features too. It helped me appreciate each game for what they were and made me appreciate how wonderful TS4 really is.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ooooh, leaving out animations so that they can sell them in later EPs. Can't imagine how that could go down badly.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited May 2020

This ^

We have noticed this, since 2014 lol But the people in the forums were dismissed, called trolls and toxic. And we still are.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

This ^

We have noticed this, since 2014 lol But the people in the forums were dismissed, called trolls and toxic. And we still are.

Don't like being lumped as toxic when I am simply saying my opinion. And I'm just saying the gamechangers are finally starting to notice what me and A LOT of people have been saying for years when people told us we were out of our minds....Just saying...

This ^

Don't like being lumped as toxic when I am simply saying my opinion. And I'm just saying the gamechangers are finally starting to notice what me and A LOT of people have been saying for years when people told us we were out of our minds....Just saying...

I think @Sigzy05 is saying the same thing :)
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

This ^

I was ahaha
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

This ^

I was ahaha

-facepalm.- Right <3 Heh. Glad someone agrees xD!

This ^

I was ahaha

-facepalm.- Right <3 Heh. Glad someone agrees xD!
    Yeah totally. Been saying things for years and honestly nice that others are noticing too. I just scratch my head why it is starting to be noticed more with this pack. Just strange timing with it being six years now and bulk of packs already released. I think it scares me not knowing if Sims 4 is funding an online game or not with the Sims 5 anyways especially after seeing more job announcements that are server related.