March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Play to change in The Sims 4 Eco Lifestyle Expansion Pack!

Comments

• Mandie997Mandie997 Posts: 155 Member
    Mandie997 wrote: »
    I think it's a chicken, not a worm. It DOES look wormlike lol but watching the trailer if you listen to the sounds and not the music, it's making peeping sounds and sounds like a baby chick. (You hear it just as the hearts show up over the guys head that's holding it. It's hard to hear cuz the music is over it but once you do it's quite clearly a baby chick sound)

It's definitely a worm.

Did they say that? It looks like that to me but I hear chicken sounds very clearly so I'm not convinced. To be honest, I'm SUPER excited about this pack and kinda hoping it IS a worm. I'd prefer a bug box/compost worms to chickens (in the Sims, not IRL haha) but either would be neat I suppose. It's the cleaning stuff up though that I'm more excited about, I don't know if I'd use either feature often, but probably the worms more.

Yes, they confirmed on Twitter it is a worm. Not a chick.
  • tomasgomes749tomasgomes749 Posts: 9 New Member
    I hated this expansion I will unmask ... this expansion is almost similar and a copy and inspired with 6 contents of the sims seriously? which are? Now tropical islands, tiny living that was the last package of objects that came out in January, stangerville, Universities, City life and Seasons, alias animations that a yes was embracing a small animal (caterpillars) comes from my first animal ... Logo without these 6 packages this new expansion would not exist, but thanks to these 6 that exist, so a new expansion was born, this new expansion exists because of these 6 existing contents.!
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    edited May 2020
    I think it's a chicken, not a worm. It DOES look wormlike lol but watching the trailer if you listen to the sounds and not the music, it's making peeping sounds and sounds like a baby chick. (You hear it just as the hearts show up over the guys head that's holding it. It's hard to hear cuz the music is over it but once you do it's quite clearly a baby chick sound)

It's definitely a worm.

Did they say that? It looks like that to me but I hear chicken sounds very clearly so I'm not convinced. To be honest, I'm SUPER excited about this pack and kinda hoping it IS a worm. I'd prefer a bug box/compost worms to chickens (in the Sims, not IRL haha) but either would be neat I suppose. It's the cleaning stuff up though that I'm more excited about, I don't know if I'd use either feature often, but probably the worms more.

awesome! THank-you! Idon't have twitter and missed that one. I hope it's for compost :) That'd be quite fun really!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

It's definitely a worm.

awesome! THank-you! Idon't have twitter and missed that one. I hope it's for compost :) That'd be quite fun really!

It's an insect farm. The grubs (not worms) appear to grow up to be crickets:

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ladders! Dumpster Diving! Candle making! Give me bunk beds and canning, and I'll be one happy camper. I'm SO ready for this pack!

I really love just how many new interactions there seems to be. The upcycling of junk to new things is intruiging. Plus... solar panels and wind energy!
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• redrogue60redrogue60 Posts: 2,051 Member
    edited May 2020
    Ok I noticed a few things I like

1. Solar panels - I hope they conform to roof slope
    2. The wind turbines - Nice touch I've been hoping for them
    3. Candle making - I've been wanting that as well
    4. Roof Gardens I think that is an excellent idea. The City Living buildings could have used that
    5. Fly swarm
    6. Ladders
    “All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.” Terry Pratchett
    This is worse than I could have ever imagined. That trailer was like a child's perception environmentalism. When the trailer first started, it looked like an apocalypse was going down. I get that this is a game so everything needs to be over exaggerated, but my gosh. You would think a meteor wiped out civilization. I could go though every disgusting aspect of that trailer, but there is no point.

The trailer and blog confirmed my worst fears. No farming, no self sufficiency. This whole pack is revolving around 'changing the world' by picking up trash, which I guess is true is sims terms since there areas are called 'worlds' even though they're more like small towns. But this looks like IL 2.0 with a bit of Stranerville thrown in, only instead of trash being relegated to one island, its now this entire place that is automatically covered in trash and your mission is to fix it. Lame.

Yeah, no thanks. My sims have better things to do than live inside of dumpsters and act as the world's garbageman. And again, we just had this with Island Living. We had the tiny homes. We had the off the grid lot trait. Just how much more eco stuff does this game need? :/

Honestly if all of it had been in one pack then it would have made this a better thought out pack.
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,420 Member
    Well, that's a disappointment.
  • Paigeisin5Paigeisin5 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Not everything in the trailer will come in the EP. I can see the ladders and new gardening features being in the pre-EP update to the base game. But as far as the EP itself? The long-time Simmer in me is rebelling against this EP, while my more adventurous self is intrigued by the concept and wants to know more. I have many questions needing answers before I decide to add Eco Living to my collection. What new traits, careers, club and family activities are coming with the EP? Since this is an EP, I expect to see more than what we saw last year in Island Living that barely scratched the surface of what true off-the-grid living or being a conservationist means. If the game play features in Eco Living are more in depth, this pack could become one of my favorite packs. I was not happy about the story-driven gameplay in Strangerville, but once I played it, I really enjoyed it. I was excited about the off-the-grid lot trait in Island Living, and the conservationist career in that EP, but both lacked the level of depth I thought would have made the pack truly great. 'IF' Eco Living manages to build on both of those, I will buy the pack once my mods are updated.

The teams have given us most of the packs we had in the past; the ones we all expected would be included in Sims4. But since Sims4 will have a longer run, I think adding more unique concepts to the mix isn't a bad idea. The Sims franchise is a life simulation game and life in general has changed greatly in the past twenty years so it's only natural for that to be reflected in a game that is all about 'playing with life'. And I see nothing wrong with raising awareness about our shared environment, or the fact we can all make small changes that will have a meaningful impact. Yes, this EP is not what a lot of us have come to expect of the franchise, but that doesn't mean I am going to write it off as a total waste of my consideration.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Aww, that’s awesome! I love crickets! ❤️

It's definitely a worm.

It's an insect farm. The grubs (not worms) appear to grow up to be crickets:

Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Zimz4Zimz4 Posts: 354 Member
    edited May 2020
    LiELF wrote: »
    So, we got Realm of Magic, a Game Pack, highly and consistently requested for years with endless gameplay potential, with a bazillion threads of players throwing out magical ideas, enough to easily be a full Expansion Pack, cut down to a smaller DLC, thus disappointing a lot of people when it came out because it felt like it should have been bigger.... Meanwhile, this Eco Living concept, which comes from a Stuff Pack idea, which already had thematic DLC added to the game, with an Off the Grid lot trait and a conservationist career in a different EP... this concept, which, yes, was requested at the time of the Laundry vote, but then tapered off in favor of other requests... gets a full Expansion Pack?

This is very frustrating and it's what makes me keep questioning why content is prioritized the way it is. I'm not saying this pack shouldn't exist, or that it's bad (I still don't know enough about it) but what I don't get is why highly requested content gets minimized all. the. time. while seemingly random concepts get upgraded to the forefront. Is it a socio-political agenda with EA? If it doesn't market well to the "feel-good" audience then it gets pushed to the wayside? Look, I generally enjoy Sims 4 for what it is, and I look forward to new ideas and try to keep an open mind (loved StrangerVille, and it was a GP not an EP, which seems appropriate). But I don't think I'm alone when I say that too often, development decisions just don't make any sense from a player's perspective. I don't want a "feel-good" game, I want the options to make my game the way I prefer to play it.

This pack looks like it should have been a Game Pack while Realm of Magic should have been an Expansion Pack. I also think that the Conservationist career in Sulani, which took up a bunch of development budget so we didn't even get underwater swimming or diving (hello, Mermaids came with the pack! This didn't make sense) should have been tossed out.
    Yeah, you pretty much nailed it with this comment.
    Gordy wrote: »
    They could literally make a My First Colonoscopy pack and make bank.
    That made me lol hard. And sadly, I'd also be that person to prove you right as I would totally buy that pack.
    I think more people should think of this pack as a big present. EA gave us a present that started with Laundry Day, that was the green card you open before anything else. Then they gave us Island Living and Tiny Living Stuff, which is the green wrapping paper and the ribbon on top. Now we're being given Eco Lifestyle, which is the green box underneath and everything inside. A lot of people seem to think that EA is recycling gameplay, but I think it's cool that they've been pushing us towards this for a year or so.

The thing to remember is that there are many different shades of green. Just because the card was green, and so was the wrapping paper and the ribbon doesn't mean that they're all the same kind of green. Laundry Day, Tiny Living and the conservation aspect of Island Living all touch on different things - they're all different shades of green in this metaphor. We can reasonably expect that Eco Lifestyle, the actual box underneath all the wrapping paper and cards, will be another shade of green once again.
    My favorite color is red. This metaphor falls completely flat on me. I love presents, but I don't see this pack as a gift. I need romance stuff and sexy outfits. Not the ghastly things I've seen sims wear in the trailer. Oversized patchwork clothing - yikes! And that's coming from someone complaining after Discover University was released that there were several overalls for female sims and none for male sims. Do we get properly fitting denim overalls now? No, of course not. The guy in the trailer clearly wears overalls his wife wore during her pregnancy. Sims pay bills, I assume these include taxes, why do we need to clean up a neighborhood? Have whatever imaginary city councils govern the sim worlds arrange for garbage pick up and disposal and be done with it. I want a firefighter career, not this millennial hippie mania. This eco-living theme doesn't appeal to me at all. Now I do like the tech stuff like solar panels, windmills, and that new construction station. My sims can never have enough gizmos. We get new chairs with every pack, so I don't mind seeing new versions of other existing objects. I also like the bikes. I want more bikes, and cars, and motorcycles, and skateboards. The trash shredder/recycle machine would be cool if you could drop sims in there, have them shredded up, producing organic cubes that can be fed to a cowplant for instance (by the way, upcycle is NOT a thing, it's an unnecessarily stupid and fancy marketing pronunciation of the word recycle). Or that vacuum thingie the female sim made with that construction station would be more fun if you can also use it to prank sims, like point it at another sim and vacuum all the clothes off, or maybe suck up the entire sim, cartoon style compressed into that thing. Perhaps even death by vacuum cleaner? I mean, the device must have some magical settings as the trailer shows is sucks up the air pollution in a several miles radius in a few seconds time, yet apparently not all the air as no sims dropped dead from lack of oxygen.

• CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    Zimz4 wrote: »
    The trash shredder/recycle machine would be cool if you could drop sims in there, have them shredded up, producing organic cubes that can be fed to a cowplant for instance (by the way, upcycle is NOT a thing, it's an unnecessarily stupid and fancy marketing pronunciation of the word recycle). Or that vacuum thingie the female sim made with that construction station would be more fun if you can also use it to prank sims, like point it at another sim and vacuum all the clothes off, or maybe suck up the entire sim, cartoon style compressed into that thing. Perhaps even death by vacuum cleaner? I mean, the device must have some magical settings as the trailer shows is sucks up the air pollution in a several miles radius in a few seconds time, yet apparently not all the air as no sims dropped dead from lack of oxygen.

I... need a modder to make these things happen.

• HippieMama2HippieMama2 Posts: 240 Member
    I am looking forward to learning more about this pack. I hope the addition of solar and wind turbines will make it where sims won't get the negative moodlets when using items marked for use off the grid.
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    edited May 2020
    Funny the sims 4 always has the game play for you. It like they don't add to your game, but give you another story based game play, doing things there way. Why can't they just add thing to your game so you can play your way. This to me is stop your game and now work on cleaning up a town. It does not fit into my gameplay. Like I said it is a story base game to play the way they want. like StrangerVille, I don't need for them to give me a story to do. Give things that let us play anyway we want. Let us make our own storeisl. If they gave us Farming, I am sure it would be a story base game, it seems that is where they are heading, and soon we will have a lot of stoy based games, and all we will do is pick the story and play it. Strange. And I was interested and seeing what it was like, And thought i would like it. How foolish of me. I will know better when the next story comes out. Its not sims anymore. It is just a bunch of playing stories.
  • Lemon405Lemon405 Posts: 163 Member
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    "IceyJ;c-17484600"]It seems likely to me that the world condition will be something of a progression and not binary. So, you may still may be able to have some grime and trash without it being a toxic field of death flies.

toxic field of death flies is probably the best and most innovative feature of this pack! 🙃
    Tell me everythime you want to use that world in another game, you will have to clean it up. How funny is that.
  • PinkoMoonPinkoMoon Posts: 8 New Member
    Sad times lol
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,710 Member
    Evalen wrote: »
    Tell me everythime you want to use that world in another game, you will have to clean it up. How funny is that.

Has this been verified?
  • SimSwim2SimSwim2 Posts: 2,481 Member
    Just what I never wanted, a "trailer trash" EP but without actual trailers. It's literally an EP about trash. Some aspects look cool like "death by fles," wind turbines, and solar panels. I guess Tiny Homes SP hinted at an eco friendly EP. Maybe I will buy it on a sale like you seem to have around Black Friday.

Most people want Generations or a Farming EP.
    Origin ID: StripedRainbow
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    edited May 2020
    Is this pack for real? Like I know the devs put so much hard work and effort into this but come on, did this really need to be an expansion pack? A game or stuff pack sure, but it's just a waste of an expansion that could have gone into something else.
    Edit: Will this pack come with a Greta Thurnberg NPC that'll shout "how dare you!" at our sims in simlish? Cause tbh that would be funny as all heck.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
    LiELF wrote: »
    So... I just went through about five different moods while watching the trailer four or five times. Am I a Sim?

Immediately upon seeing the trashy streets of something resembling an urban ghetto, I got excited. I've been wanting a low income zone for poor and destitute Sims. But as the trailer went on, my interest shifted up and down, to curiosity, to "meh", to "that's interesting", to "huh", to "trash flies!" to "um...wut??" and pretty much ended with a big question mark.

To sum up: I'm still trying to decide how I feel about the pack itself. But the first thing I need to do is get this off my chest...

So, we got Realm of Magic, a Game Pack, highly and consistently requested for years with endless gameplay potential, with a bazillion threads of players throwing out magical ideas, enough to easily be a full Expansion Pack, cut down to a smaller DLC, thus disappointing a lot of people when it came out because it felt like it should have been bigger.... Meanwhile, this Eco Living concept, which comes from a Stuff Pack idea, which already had thematic DLC added to the game, with an Off the Grid lot trait and a conservationist career in a different EP... this concept, which, yes, was requested at the time of the Laundry vote, but then tapered off in favor of other requests... gets a full Expansion Pack?

This is very frustrating and it's what makes me keep questioning why content is prioritized the way it is. I'm not saying this pack shouldn't exist, or that it's bad (I still don't know enough about it) but what I don't get is why highly requested content gets minimized all. the. time. while seemingly random concepts get upgraded to the forefront. Is it a socio-political agenda with EA? If it doesn't market well to the "feel-good" audience then it gets pushed to the wayside? Look, I generally enjoy Sims 4 for what it is, and I look forward to new ideas and try to keep an open mind (loved StrangerVille, and it was a GP not an EP, which seems appropriate). But I don't think I'm alone when I say that too often, development decisions just don't make any sense from a player's perspective. I don't want a "feel-good" game, I want the options to make my game the way I prefer to play it.

This pack looks like it should have been a Game Pack while Realm of Magic should have been an Expansion Pack. I also think that the Conservationist career in Sulani, which took up a bunch of development budget so we didn't even get underwater swimming or diving (hello, Mermaids came with the pack! This didn't make sense) should have been tossed out if this Eco pack was already in the making (which it no doubt was, considering the length of time an EP takes.) So two Expansion Packs within a year both now have their main focus around environmentalism? I have to repeat the question of another user on this thread... Are devs running out of ideas? Or are they indeed just stretching themes out to repeat between multiple packs these days for the money?

And does this mean Happy Haunts will be a full EP that will include everything they listed in the vote plus Zombies and Cemeteries and a playable Ghost overhaul and proper mourning for death and morgues and ceremonies and exorcisms and seances and ghost hunting and Grim careers? Or are the Occult players going to get rooked again?

Also, I agree with others that Tiny Living could have and should have been a part of this EP. It all leaves kind of a bad taste, to be honest.

I'm not trying to bring down the hype, I may actually like this pack, at least the urban trashiness of it, though it will probably be a "wait for a sale" for me, but I felt a need to speak out about my observations.

That is all I really want to say critically. Further posts will most likely be about the pack itself.

1000% Agreed on every point

1. They should have kept the conservationist stuff and the off the grid trait for this EP
    2. They should have had fleshed out mermaids, more underwater play, vacation homes, Parrots, and House Boats in Island Living
    3. Tiny Living should have been apart of this EP as well given they are doing those containers which is what a lot of people make tiny homes out of.
    Evalen wrote: »

Has this been verified?

Not that I know, just heard someone say it. Hope not. but to think that you have to play there way and clean up a town brfore you can play the town the way you want. I dont think I want to do that.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member
    redrogue60 wrote: »

1. They should have kept the conservationist stuff and the off the grid trait for this EP
    2. They should have had fleshed out mermaids, more underwater play, vacation homes, Parrots, and House Boats in Island Living
    3. Tiny Living should have been apart of this EP as well given they are doing those containers which is what a lot of people make tiny homes out of.

I have to agree, I would rather they had fleshed out mermaids etc.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Did anyone notice that the guy has what looks like big lobe earrings?

Annotation%202020-05-06%20181849.png?dl=0

I have to say I don't like them irl, they make my feel queasy.

Ugh I hate big lobe piercings, I find them quite disgusting XO
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • MyriadSimsMyriadSims Posts: 1,197 Member
    Frankly, I...am..P!🐸🐸🐸🐸 that you guys are giving us this instead of something we actually want. Why would you give us a Pack detailing the fact that humanity is the worst thing to ever set foot on the planet? An EP especially. This is why I have no faith in ea. They give us a load of stupid crap packs and rarely us it something we actually want. Like, RARELY. I cant believe this. I would rather jump off of a cruise ship in the middle of the Pacific than buy this crap. Lord.