May 22 - Let's walk around the forums together, this week's Friday Highlight is here!
May 21, 11AM PT - Save the time for Eco Lifestyle livestream! Details here.
May 21 - Take a look at SimGuruConor's latest deep dive into Nifty Knitting: learn more about Plopsy!

A meteor just ruined my day

«1
I am really upset. My sim was in the middle of graduating high school at the city hall, and a meteor hit it. Every person there started dying and I couldn't stop any of it. I exited the game without saving because there is no way I want this to be happening. Problem is that I literally saved the game right when the meteor was coming without realizing, so no matter what, it will hit. Do you think there is ANY way I can not have this happen? Help! Im freaking out
The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

It all started with Zack & Blair....



Comments

  • igazorigazor Posts: 18,161 Member
    edited April 20
    Yes, revert to your backup save which (if you don't change file names) will be one save behind that one. It should be found in your TS3 user game folder under Saves along with the others, but you will need to rename it to something else and change the ending so that it ends in .sims3 rather than .backup to show up on the saved game selector screen.

    But this is also an example of why it's best to use Save As rather than Save routinely and change the file name a bit each time such as by adding a number or date to the end of each one so that you have 4, 6, or however many you want slightly older saves to revert to should something go wrong. It is also the theory behind the NRaas Saver mod, which serves as an annoying but effective alarm clock type of reminder to keep doing this throughout gameplay. After a while we can start deleting or overwriting the older saves and maybe capture one now and then to a folder outside of the game to refer to for historical purposes. I must have around 150 such saves like that of my ongoing game filed away by now, which is admittedly a bit extreme but there is no way a single meteor that I never wanted to see in the first place can possibly ruin everything I've been doing for the past eight years. :)
    786acphb0viikee4g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 552 Member
    That is GREAT to know! Thank you for that info and advice!
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

    It all started with Zack & Blair....



  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 9,832 Member
    @MKSizzle I know how you feel. A long time ago, My sim was playing his guitar on the city hall steps with a large crowd, wow I never seen so many die. whole famils, people came from all around as the grim reaper went from one to another. I did not save as it was a game that I said whatever happen I will live with it. But it was horriable watching this. Hope you find a way to resart if that is what you want. Have fun with your sims.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 20,140 Member
    I remember an old member of the forum who isn't around any more once telling me of the new game she started and just as it finished loading a meteor struck and killed her sim. There was no time for her to do anything and no game play to try to retrieve. It was a bit of a shock.
  • thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 101 Member
    Could you not resetsim or use MasterController to reset town before it hits?
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 5,623 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I remember an old member of the forum who isn't around any more once telling me of the new game she started and just as it finished loading a meteor struck and killed her sim. There was no time for her to do anything and no game play to try to retrieve. It was a bit of a shock.

    That's really crazy!

  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 552 Member
    @thesimsisepic So I did think of that after I I freaked out and posted this. lol. I didn't reset the entire town though. I just thought of my household. and saved them. The rest died. No one I really cared about. Just a random cousin. Meh.

    I do have video of it. Well, a few seconds of it. It was really eerie. It all took place in front of City Hall. Pomp and Circumstance was playing the entire time and one by one, Grim took the lives of everyone there.
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

    It all started with Zack & Blair....



  • thesimsisepicthesimsisepic Posts: 101 Member
    @MKSizzle Coo! I actually like random deaths like that in this game and TS2. You can avoid it if you can but if u accidentally forget it makes the game more interesting on its own.

    I could imagine a meteor coming to the TS4 and when it hits your sim just gets a “singed” moodlet or literally get a popup asking you “Do you want to kill this sim? Killing this sim may traumatize younger players”😒
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 6,425 Member
    edited April 27
    @MKSizzle Oh my gosh I am SO sorry that happened! :cry: I feel for you...

    Read my comment here from a couple of years ago and you'll see. That event depressed me SO bad that I couldn't play for a couple of days because it happened to my most favorite sim of all time.

    https://forums.thesims.com/en_uS/discussion/comment/15610302/#Comment_15610302
    49824480951_0fc6391d25.jpg
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 552 Member
    @emorrill OMG I remember Sam Beckett!! So glad you had that Death Flower. You just made me realize Ben actually has a death flower as well. I mean, I saved them all anyway, but good to know for the future...
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

    It all started with Zack & Blair....



  • StephStebStephSteb Posts: 1,957 Member
    I haven't had a meteor hit in my game since I first started playing and then last night....a meteor almost killed my sim and killed her romantic interest! Probably like the third or fourth time ever that I loaded up the game, a meteor killed my sim very shortly after I started playing and at the time, I didn't even know about meteors in the game so I was devastated! I hadn't had one show up in my game for YEARS, though and then it did last night and today I find this thread! I'm going to be watching the skies always now, lol! So sorry, I know how you feel <3
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 563 Member
    I want to say I've never seen one either, but then I will jinx it and probably lose a good sim.... so let's leave it at that I don't want that to happen... except maybe to whichever sim decided to give simfluenza, llama pox and common cold to my sim family basically all at once. Do they make face masks for sims? LOL :lol:
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Blogs: Either on the Sims 3 homepage or https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
    #Disney'sZombies2, #fan4life, #TeamWyatt
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 20,140 Member
    StephSteb wrote: »
    I haven't had a meteor hit in my game since I first started playing and then last night....a meteor almost killed my sim and killed her romantic interest! Probably like the third or fourth time ever that I loaded up the game, a meteor killed my sim very shortly after I started playing and at the time, I didn't even know about meteors in the game so I was devastated! I hadn't had one show up in my game for YEARS, though and then it did last night and today I find this thread! I'm going to be watching the skies always now, lol! So sorry, I know how you feel <3

    What you need to watch out for is large mysterious shadows. If your sim sees one they are very likely to get hit so it's a good time to run if possible. But sometimes it doesn't appear until it's too late to do anything.
  • MKSizzleMKSizzle Posts: 552 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    StephSteb wrote: »
    I haven't had a meteor hit in my game since I first started playing and then last night....a meteor almost killed my sim and killed her romantic interest! Probably like the third or fourth time ever that I loaded up the game, a meteor killed my sim very shortly after I started playing and at the time, I didn't even know about meteors in the game so I was devastated! I hadn't had one show up in my game for YEARS, though and then it did last night and today I find this thread! I'm going to be watching the skies always now, lol! So sorry, I know how you feel <3

    What you need to watch out for is large mysterious shadows. If your sim sees one they are very likely to get hit so it's a good time to run if possible. But sometimes it doesn't appear until it's too late to do anything.


    Yes, what happened in my game was, when they were entering the City Hall, one of my sims got one of those pink notifications saying she was wondering why everything went dark. I have never experienced a meteor before so I was really confused.
    The Palmer Legacy -- Generation 1

    It all started with Zack & Blair....



  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 8,512 Member

    I've never had a meteor hit a building in the 8 years I've played. I don't have seasons installed right now so I expect I still won't have one.
    The closest I came was when a sim was looking through the telescope and saw a meteor land. He was challenged by the game to find it so he did. It had landed in someone's driveway. It was one of the huge ones. I love how they pick it up and put it in their pockets! :lol:
  • igazorigazor Posts: 18,161 Member
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I've never had a meteor hit a building in the 8 years I've played. I don't have seasons installed right now so I expect I still won't have one.
    The closest I came was when a sim was looking through the telescope and saw a meteor land. He was challenged by the game to find it so he did. It had landed in someone's driveway. It was one of the huge ones. I love how they pick it up and put it in their pockets! :lol:
    I'm pretty sure meteors were introduced with Ambitions, not Seasons. :)

    786acphb0viikee4g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 8,512 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I've never had a meteor hit a building in the 8 years I've played. I don't have seasons installed right now so I expect I still won't have one.
    The closest I came was when a sim was looking through the telescope and saw a meteor land. He was challenged by the game to find it so he did. It had landed in someone's driveway. It was one of the huge ones. I love how they pick it up and put it in their pockets! :lol:
    I'm pretty sure meteors were introduced with Ambitions, not Seasons. :)

    Well, I do have ambitions installed and still have never had a meteor hit a building or kill sims. Wonder what it takes to do that?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 18,161 Member
    edited April 30
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Well, I do have ambitions installed and still have never had a meteor hit a building or kill sims. Wonder what it takes to do that?
    Without having aliens around to summon one (now there's the Seasons connection since there would be no aliens without it), and if an active sim is not playing the Ambitions firefighter career with its somewhat artificially induced disasters to get the career sims to cope with, it's a very low probability. I have had a total of three meteors strike in all the years I have played this game. Two were on essentially vacant lots and all they did was make the screen shake violently to get my attention (and scare me half to death). One was on the lot I was indeed actively playing where my sims were party guests, this was years ago, but I refused to play through that and quit without saving.
    786acphb0viikee4g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 5,623 Member
    The first meteor I had took me by surprise, because for some reason, I also thought it was from Seasons, and I didn't have Seasons at that time. When I got the notification, I zoomed in on the school where my teen was, and I thought that shadow looked like a meteor, which didn't help, because I was sure it couldn't be. It hit the school, and many children and teens died, including my teen sim. Without her, the whole reason for playing that save was gone, so I exited without saving. I wished later that I had saved it with another name and let it run until the newspaper came the next day, so I could see what the newspaper would say about it. There would have had to be a lot of obituaries in that issue.

  • carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 313 Member
    edited May 1
    @IreneSwift Yeah, they came with Ambitions first. Edit: LOL! As if you didn't know that already from the previous comments above. I shake my head at myself sometimes when I do things like this. :D
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 20,140 Member
    edited May 1
    The first time I had a sim killed by a meteor was before Seasons was released. I know this because my sims, 3 YA female housemates, were in their back yard gardening when a meteor hit them. If it had been after Seasons they'd have had some sort of a greenhouse.

    I only recall one of them being killed and she happened to have a death flower in her inventory. At that point I had no clue what a death flower was for and was stunned when she knelt and offered her flower to Grim and he let her live. So it was a learning experience in more ways than one for me that day. Since then I've taken a whole new interest in death flowers. Most of my sims carry at least one in their inventory now.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 20,140 Member
    edited May 1
    bekkasan wrote: »
    igazor wrote: »
    bekkasan wrote: »
    I've never had a meteor hit a building in the 8 years I've played. I don't have seasons installed right now so I expect I still won't have one.
    The closest I came was when a sim was looking through the telescope and saw a meteor land. He was challenged by the game to find it so he did. It had landed in someone's driveway. It was one of the huge ones. I love how they pick it up and put it in their pockets! :lol:
    I'm pretty sure meteors were introduced with Ambitions, not Seasons. :)

    Well, I do have ambitions installed and still have never had a meteor hit a building or kill sims. Wonder what it takes to do that?

    The reason I had to introduce an alien to the household in 'Oscar's Childhood' was so I could get a meteor to hit their house.

    Later on in that series of videos another meteor hit the boarding school and did a lot of damage but no one was killed. That was totally generated by the game to scare me. It was a success for the game because there was nothing I could do about it but wonder how I'd have to change my story line to explain Oscar being a little ghost. Fortunately he survived - even though he did run into a burning building in spite of me telling him to stay away from it and not go indoors. I think only one of the little boarding school residents got singed. The building and furniture on a couple of levels was a wreck though.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited May 1
    If someone wants a meteor to hit, sending a sim outside to use a telescope for hours on end will do it, eventually. I had a sim I was trying to raise from a toddler but she got corrupted every time, once she aged up to teen or young adult. I had made her by aging down a sim that I had saved to the CAS bin as a young adult. Anyway, I decided to re-create her as a teen and get her caught up on skills, skill challenges, and collecting in a throwaway save. I made all her needs static and had her doing what she needed to do day and night without stopping. While she was searching the galaxy non-stop for days on end to catch up on discoveries, her lot was hit by meteors multiple times. But I was watching for them and as soon as the notification came, I teleported her to another location on the lot, and moved her telescope in buy mode. So no harm was done to her or the telescope, because meteors always aim directly for your active sim, and will hit wherever they were when the meteor spawned. But parts of her house and furnishings got burnt each time.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on

  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,017 Member
    IreneSwift wrote: »
    I someone wants a meteor to hit, sending a sim outside to use a telescope for hours on end will do it, eventually. So no harm was done to her or the telescope, because meteors always aim directly for your active sim, and will hit wherever they were when the meteor spawned. But parts of her house and furnishings got burnt each time.

    So nice of EA to include that little feature. :D
    I'm a 44 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.
    My Sims 3 Pictures
  • ChristinaluvsChristinaluvs Posts: 18 Member
    > @MKSizzle said:
    > I am really upset. My sim was in the middle of graduating high school at the city hall, and a meteor hit it. Every person there started dying and I couldn't stop any of it. I exited the game without saving because there is no way I want this to be happening. Problem is that I literally saved the game right when the meteor was coming without realizing, so no matter what, it will hit. Do you think there is ANY way I can not have this happen? Help! Im freaking out

    That sounds absolutely horrible- I did start laughing while reading this though- it's just so bizarre but very sims-like...
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top