Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Simmers, welcome! - Community’s tips & tricks to get started

Comments

• Options
    cynciecyncie Posts: 4,651 Member
    Behappy1st wrote: »
    cyncie wrote: »
    Personally, I love the lore of the Sims and how everyone is interconnected in town. It might take some imagination on your part, but you can make up a super dramatic story between townies if you want.

I agree. Some people delete all townies, but I leave them for just that reason. Now, game generated randoms are fair game! And, welcome to the forum!
    I was playing one sim. She was at a club husband hunting, she found someone and was talking to him. When from the corner of my eye I saw a cutie. I'm wait who's this? And was I surprised that it was my vampire from another save. That never happened to me before. She wound up marrying him. I didn't know the game will take sims from your library and put them in a new save.

Yeah, it really does. I only have one save on this computer, but in past games I’ve run into some of my older sims at bars and festivals. It’s always a bit of a surprise.
  • Options
    Behappy1stBehappy1st Posts: 711 Member
    vickiesims wrote: »
    Hello everyone! I have been a longtime lurker but I am trying to be more active and participate in this wonderful community that I have observed for so long. I used to write SimLit a while ago, and I am hoping to get back into it as I have missed it much more than I thought I would.
    Welcome !!!
  • Options
    Thatsimsgirl96Thatsimsgirl96 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @cyncie said:
    > -
    > Welcome to the forum. I’m not aware of the kind of mod you need, but you might want to post your question in the mod sub forum here. There is a thread there for requests and you won’t need to start a new one.
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi, and welcome. I don’t know if you’re new to the game, so forgive me if I’m telling you something you already know. This game has semi-closed worlds. To travel to a different neighborhood in the world, you use the same travel method as you do between worlds: select the sim’s phone, select travel, and select a lot in neighborhood you want to visit. It will pop up a loading screen, then take you there. Or, you can go back to the map view of the world and select a different neighborhood.
    >
    > If you know all that, and it’s just not working, what are the details of the travel failure?

Thank you. :)
  • Options
    ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Hi, I had wanted to post a new thread, but I can't seem to do that. So, I guess I'll just ask my question here and see if anyone responds.
    Does anyone know where I can find some cheering animations? Not cheerleading, audience cheering, if that makes sense. I have tried googling, but everything is cheerleading related. Some help would be appreciated, thank you.
    - Thatsimsgirl96

Not sure if you are still looking for an answer to this as you asked some days ago.

The mod you need is Andrew's Pose Player. Without downloading any actual poses, the mod allows you to run any of the default EA poses/animations on a loop.

I have done a quick search through the animation list and there are quite a few from the fist pump cheers to crowd cheering.

https://sims4studio.com/thread/2617/andrews-studio
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Options
    Babci219Babci219 Posts: 20 Member
    Hi everyone, I have been a sims fan from the beginning, I was having problems getting on the forum because my account was established awhile ago. So, I have 50 points & 10 badges, but there was no activity. Do I just need to post now?
  • Options
    vanbroseevanbrosee Posts: 42 Member
    Hello everyone! I'm new here and usually a single Sim player, but I started a legacy save. It took me two years and now I'm on generation 8! It's slow, but I do want to try and get the 10th generation.
    jw6ecg6uon4z.png
    Gen 8 - Adelaide Dockery-Lyman
  • Options
    BougieSimmerBougieSimmer Posts: 1 New Member
    To be honest, what is up with the "simmers" these days. They beg and plead for extra popular cc and mods but don't want the bugs that comes with "rushing to satisfy". I stress myself out day and night worried about my fellow simmers and what satisfies their needs. Well, what about my needs and why not heed to my satisfaction.
  • Options
    COladyCOlady Posts: 4 New Member
    > @Tennedra said:
    > What I wish I have known when getting started is when you buy your first pack, know a little bit about them. There's some info about a pack in the main menu of the game, but you can also search on YouTube, this forums and other websites to see others' opinions. I didn't know anything about any packs when I started and end up regretting getting Cats and Dogs as my first pack. I felt like it didn't add much to the game with just it and the base game. I should've started with Seasons or City Living.

This is great information! I'm a newb-ish to the SIMS world and I find myself needing resources every day. Thank you for the tidbit.
  • Options
    COladyCOlady Posts: 4 New Member
    > @BougieSimmer said:
    > To be honest, what is up with the "simmers" these days. They beg and plead for extra popular cc and mods but don't want the bugs that comes with "rushing to satisfy". I stress myself out day and night worried about my fellow simmers and what satisfies their needs. Well, what about my needs and why not heed to my satisfaction.

I think it depends largely on someone's preference. I'm a newer-ish to the SIMS world. I played many years ago on my old PS and then just got myself back into the world the last year or so. I've tried both options, I've tried to play with rush cheats and mods and have dealt with the pain of a bug showing up and destroying hours, upon, hours of work... not for me... I'm a traditional simmer that enjoys the work and process that goes into the game. As far as the "rushing to satisfy" comment, I believe a lot of that can be contributed to generational differences and just the society that is today, everything is rushed.
  • Options
    randomS1mmerrandomS1mmer Posts: 4 New Member
    Me as a newbie with zero points except with points not money https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwIhDt-VZKI
  • Options
    porasnuporasnu Posts: 2 New Member
    - Try out the old games and learn about the franchise. It's actually really interesting and I ended up getting invested in it. I previously only played the sims 2 base game as a kid, and playing it again brought so many memories. I also bought the sims 3 to try it out and it was also really fun! The lore in these games is so fun to dissect.

- Make your own fun and stories in the game, don't be limited by the game's features.

- Try out everything the game has to offer when you first play. Using cheats isn't frowned upon, but rather encouraged for new players. After you're used to the game, making a cheats-free playthrough becomes fun :)

- Mods can improve your experience for PC players but you have to make sure they're updated and don't conflict with each other. Alongside this, do not think mods will make the sims fun for you immediately. Always read mod descriptions and make sure you will truly use the mod.

- Try and play with different kinds of sims! Bad traits can make your sims more interesting. Try playing challenges, try making sims that are completely different from what you'd usually make. Don't be limited by JUST making "pretty sims" and expand your horizons. Your gameplay will be more fun.

- Use the clubs feature that comes with Get Together!!! It's so useful and fun. Try making your own clubs or expanding the premade ones including the secret ones. Alongside this, try creating custom holidays!

- I know building can be overwhelming and intimidating, but try and begin building. Your first builds won't be the best builds ever, but soon enough you'll get used to it and your builds usually improve very fast. Debug and Live Edit are your best friend + try the terrain tools + use your imagination and look up guides for room planning and other tips. I also find using lot traits can enhance my build ideas. Building in this game is genuinely one of the best features.

- My favorite packs: Vampires, Get Together, Seasons, Cottage Living. I also like Get to Work despite the glitchy careers because I mostly play scientist which is very fun and introduces aliens aka my second favorite occult after Vampires.

- Developing your sim style takes time and experimenting, and if you're able to download CC it's good to make a folder for trying it out. I ended up with cc in my game that I can't find in my cc folder and that I never use, and I have to clean it up now.

This is long but these are just some of the ones I consider essential, even though there's more that other people have put in.
  • Options
    duckyfresh81duckyfresh81 Posts: 1 New Member
    New to the Sims forums, but not to the game! I just got a new laptop recently, and was thinking of getting a stylus pen for it. My question is, can you use a stylus within the game? If so, what areas does it work best and worst in?
    Thanks and can't wait to meet all the fellow Simmers! Dag dag.
  • Options
    bananabreadbananabread Posts: 18 Member
    Like the person who posted before me, I'm also new to the forums and not the game! I noticed some people posted about struggling to build and I just wanted to offer some advice that helped me. First, I think it's really helpful to watch simmers on YouTube/Twitch who build things! Might as well learn from the best, right? Second, instead of building from scratch with no idea of what your floorplan should look like, it can be helpful to get ideas from irl floorplans! Just looking through Google images of different floorplans helps me get a better idea of how I want to design my builds.
  • Options
    Welcome @porasnu @duckyfresh81 @bananabread ! Thanks for sharing your tips! Hope to see you in the community. @duckyfresh81 I have no idea about using a stylus in game. Maybe someone in the General Discussion can help. Try this thread: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989829/ts4-totally-random-comments-and-questions/p1
  • Options
    KbobsterKbobster Posts: 157 Member
    how do I post a new forum discussion?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Kbobster wrote: »
    how do I post a new forum discussion?

@Kbobster Hi and welcome. Your status is “New Member” and you have to become a full Member to start a new topic, add links, have an avatar or post pics. You become a member by posting comments in existing topics and participating in current conversations. You need to have 25 points, 15 posts, and an account older than 24 hours. You get points when your posts generate Likes/Awesomes from other members. Posts in any part of the forum increase your post count. Posts on your wall don’t.

Just a caution: please use current conversations to post in. There is a rule against necroposting. Generally, all questions/comments can be posted here: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/989829/ts4-totally-random-comments-and-questions/p1

Once again, welcome and happy simming!
  • Options
    flaresimsflaresims Posts: 30 Member
    Hello! :)
    𝓯𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓲𝓶𝓼
  • Options
    flaresims wrote: »
    Hello! :)

Hello! Welcome!
  • Options
    a82cyhgix2zwa82cyhgix2zw Posts: 3 New Member
    Je vous aiment tous
  • Options
    Bienvenu!
  • Options
    MissNOFXMissNOFX Posts: 30 Member
    hello fellow simmers!!! I'm not new to the sims...just to the forum :)
  • Options
    @MissNOFX welcome!
  • Options
    MissNOFXMissNOFX Posts: 30 Member
    thank you! I'm excited to make some new friends with common interests :) <3 :)
  • Options
    enskijenskij Posts: 31 Member
    If you're starting from the very beginning, play with the base game for a while and get to know the mechanics of it! Then after that buy packs if you want to/can, but not 17 at once. It's good to get them 1 at a time so you get familiar with each one's unique traits and such (this is from experience... I bought quite a few EPs and GPs at the same time and now I never know which careers, furniture pieces and gameplay options are part of which packs, it's not the end of the world but a little annoying)
    Just your average Finnish simmer
    ☆ she/her ☆