Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Where Did The Money Come From?

So... I had a new couple that I started out in a tiny home worth about 19K inclusive of furniture. Had them both apply to uni and go through their first semester. Then I wanted to move them back home so I could rotate to the next household.

I chose their old little home, which was now unfurnished, but that was ok cos the furniture had all gone into their family inventory. BUT when I moved them in, they also suddenly had over 54,000 simoleons! What?!!! Where? How????

No cheating, no mods, no nothing. Just 54K appearing from nowhere. What's that all about then?

Comments

• loubyloulouloubyloulou Posts: 4,466 Member
    I wonder if that's the value of the furniture, even though you didn't sell it.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    Nope, if I sold the furniture it would have been around 12K at the most.
    I have no clue then! Don't look a gift horse... :mrgreen:
    I have no clue then! Don't look a gift horse... :mrgreen:

Lol. I had to cheat it away from them, they are meant to be poor uni students :D
    You don't by any chance have the MCCC mod? I know it has a setting whereby Sims can receive an inheritance when a parent dies.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    I too had some events where a household suddenly has more money than they should. I'm talking 20-50k. It can easily ruin the game if you play a small or poor house and don't really want them to get all that money.

I keep track on each house's cash (and more) in a spread sheet. I update it only every 5th rotation, but it still gives me kind of proof that something smuffy is ongoing. On the other hand, some houses get sky rocking bills - like in the 10-20k range. They normally had bills of 4-5k. I wonder if there are changes due to patches that affect rotational play? I figured the butler was charging for the number of days I played other houses, so all Glamour butlers were fired, and I now have live-in butlers instead. It's more fun, although the entire Glamour pack seems wasted. i think some other services are also charged per day, regardless of if you play their house or not. That is insane, as income is earned only on active days.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,376 Member
    So... I had a new couple that I started out in a tiny home worth about 19K inclusive of furniture. Had them both apply to uni and go through their first semester. Then I wanted to move them back home so I could rotate to the next household.

I chose their old little home, which was now unfurnished, but that was ok cos the furniture had all gone into their family inventory. BUT when I moved them in, they also suddenly had over 54,000 simoleons! What?!!! Where? How????

No cheating, no mods, no nothing. Just 54K appearing from nowhere. What's that all about then?

Did you get a loan for University? It's probably money that was meant to pay for accommodation fees in University, and since you no longer live there it was transferred in your bank account.
    @crocobaura hmmmm... I did get a loan but it seems kind of a lot of money if it was for that.

I will keep an eye out when I send the next lot to uni and see what happens.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2020
    You do sometimes seem to end up with much more money than can be explained. I had a family in San Myusheno that had about 4k, just enough to move to a bigger flat and pay rent. After they sold the furniture and moved they had about 30K and while I had replaced most of the furniture in the flat and upgraded some of the plumbing, no way it was worth 30k. They shortly later moved again and then had 45k or so after selling the furniture. No study loans or MCCC inheritances involved .

EDIT: clarified.

That was a modded save, must see if I can replicate it in an unmodded one.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    Was freerealestate involved at any step, by chance? I often experience money inaccuracies with that one since installing DU.
  • FengaxFengax Posts: 9 New Member
    Definitely weird. A few possibilities, and a combination of a few of them could've resulted in your situation:

1. The furniture was sold and its value added to your household. This is almost certain because you said your house is unfurnished.
    2. You received a scholarship from the University.
    3. Your dorm's items's value was added to your household.
    4. You might've sold the entire house but the game glitched and you somehow retained ownership of the house but the money is still in your household.

From my personal experience, moving from uni dorm back to the house has never been a smooth journey. Multiple occasions I had to deal with lost items, money problems and a multitude of other issues.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    I have a feeling what is happening is when Sims leave Uni, the money you get is from selling all the furniture in the dorm. It is treating the dorms like a house you are moving out of if that makes any sense.
    keekee53 wrote: »
    I have a feeling what is happening is when Sims leave Uni, the money you get is from selling all the furniture in the dorm. It is treating the dorms like a house you are moving out of if that makes any sense.

I think this is the most likely explanation.

As I said in my original post, I use no mods and had used no cheats (so no freerealestate), and the value of my own sims stuff would have been nowhere near the amount gained. So I guess it must be the dorm furniture value.

Oh well, I guess every time I send sims to uni I will just have to cheat their returning money back down to what it should be.
  • WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited March 2020
    Was freerealestate involved at any step, by chance? I often experience money inaccuracies with that one since installing DU.

In my case, and in that save not for that family, although I did turn it on to move a couple other families into Newcrest. I'm 99% certain I disableds it afterwards. But thats something to keep in mind, thanks.
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs